• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie defends Destiny: The Taken King's £/$40 price tag (Eurogamer)

Saiyan-Rox

That's what I'm thinking. It may be the only way for UK folk to get The Taken King for a reasonable price.

Need to find this info out somehow....if it is just codes in the box then I'll order the collectors edition and sell the expansion 1&2 codes

Falcker

Bungie has come a long way from the developer that argued ODST should be priced 40$ as an expansion instead of 60$ like MS wanted.

Raide

There wasn't even 5% of the required amount of content for this to be an MMO. Within a week everyone was already grinding the same "obtain 10 helium core" daily quests.

When they first showed off the game and boasted about "If you can see it, you can walk there!", it was sad to see what became of it.

Shit, they even took out the Loot Cave stuff which was actually giving players a reason to keep playing to take their minds off the mindless grinding drudge they had to do to get jerked off by the Cryptark. :D

Now if you took all of the content that has come out since launch and bundled it all together, then $60 would be pretty good.

Wow. The arrogance of how Luke defended it is insane. As someone said earlier it's basically fuck you give us your money. Rebuy the damn thing if you want everything. Just wow. As a long time Bungie fan that just really pisses me off.

PR like that won't last long. His Activision handlers will be all over him for it, if they haven't already been.

Wolfe

The GOTY edition or whatever looks like a good value at $60, and I am tempted to play the game, but looking at all this from a distance I'm not sure that I want to get involved, knowing I could easily be screwed by them in the future.

I feel the same way pretty much. I played and enjoyed the hell out of the Beta but then didn't want to get the game on PS3 as I don't have an Xbone or PS4 yet and shit like this isn't exactly very enticing for me even if I would be getting the best "deal" out of everyone buying the content.

Your brother sounds kind of dumb. Is he eleven? Did he not see any of this before? Is he going to open his eyes in eighteen years when it comes to mobile games that pace out gameplay with timers? Are you going to be with him when he goes to university just to make sure no one accidentally tells him that Santa Claus isn't real?

Give me a fucking break.

HolyTaco

seems par for the course for this type of game and activision see: diablo iii, CoD. they know how to rinse a fanbase and somehow keep 'em coming back for more

Give me a fucking break.
Nope. It was a juvenile reaction to common sense, and his post was propped up as a beacon shining on Bungie's ill-hearted practices. Unfortunately, it was more of a highlight of his brother's stupidity, or at best, naivety. Hence why I asked if the poor guy knew the truth about Santa yet.

see5harp

When they first showed off the game and boasted about "If you can see it, you can walk there!", it was sad to see what became of it.

Shit, they even took out the Loot Cave stuff which was actually giving players a reason to keep playing to take their minds off the mindless grinding drudge they had to do to get jerked off by the Cryptark. :D

Now if you took all of the content that has come out since launch and bundled it all together, then $60 would be pretty good.

Even with all of the DLC up until now I still think they number of actual zones was pretty paltry.

EL CUCO

Looks like Luke went from hero to zero in the matter of one interview for some people.

I dont have an issue with how he handled it. It's a tough spot to be in and he's restricted on what he can or cant say. Most of it even being out of his control. In every other interview I've heard, he's come off as genuine and likeable. I appreciate the extra nuggets we get from hearing him talk, even if it's a bit vague at times. It's a breath of fresh air in comparison to the PR machine we're used to getting from Bungie.

Flintty

Wow, that is so brazen and a big 'fuck you'.

Yeah I'll still get the expansion because I have great times with friends but all respect for Bungie has been lost. The Activision Effect I suppose.

Halabane

Embarassing really. The guy sounds like a complete tool.

He isn't really. Luke is just trying to keep his paycheck. He is just delivering the news and notice he is not arguing with the interviewers comments. Actually a good guy in a bad spot. He loved Halo and Bungie back in the day. Thats why he left 1up to go work for them.

But.

I have never seen a company say 'f-you' quite so clearly. They truly think Destiny players are idiots. It is mind blowing. Absolutely mind blowing. Its a whole new level and so many players who loved Bungie have tried so hard to make this mess work. This is the bone they throw you folks.

Nick_C

Yeah, but slightly less than that in America because fuck you, apparently.

You see, Bungie is an American-based developer and Activision is an American-based publisher so it costs more to send their internets over to the EU.

The worst part about this interview is when Luke tries to grill the interviewer by gauging how much they'd be willing to spend on the new emotes. It comes off as "If you really want them, you'd pay for them, no matter the cost."

Falcker

Taken King is $40 lol
You misunderstand, ODST was a game they thought was worth 40 and MS insisted on 60 whereas people think ttk is worth maybe 20 and bungie insists its 40.

Just a role reversal now where they inflate their games worth now whereas they used to argue the opposite in previous years.

Shadders

Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment, in the £80 version you get all this:

TTKBeautyCol.jpg

If we assume you're paying £40 for the expansion, then the other £40 is for all this other stuff. I think it's perhaps a little disingenuous to say they're making you shell out for the game again, as opposed to saying the game is included on the off-chance someone new to Destiny wants to jump in now and likes Limited Edition tat.

Think about it, if they'd decided to charge £80 for this without the base game and first two expansions, would it seem like that scummy a pack? (for the sake of argument let's say you're ok with paying £40 for the TTK)

FuturusX

Wow, that is so brazen and a big 'fuck you'.

Yeah I'll still get the expansion because I have great times with friends but all respect for Bungie has been lost. The Activision Effect I suppose.

Pretty sure they can't deposit 'respect' in their bank accounts. But I guess, that's what the money is for.

Ooccoo

As if I needed another reason to know Destiny is crap. It was from the beginning and it still is. And that's coming from someone who bought into the hype. Activision should be sued, it's really a joke of a game.

Wait people are complaining about the price? This is standard pricing for an MMO Expansion Pack:

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm $40
World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria $40
Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward $40

Seriously I would love to see a census of the current Playerbase of Destiny to determine how many of those players ever played an MMO before Destiny because I can only imagine how much whining they would give if they had to pay a monthly subscription in top of the expansion price.

Yeah but Destiny has a very small amount of content as it is. An 'expansion' in destiny terms should not be a expensive as a expansion for a game with a lot more content.

I don't understand how Bungie can continue to stumble from PR snafu to PR snafu regarding this game. Frankly, it's pretty amazing.

lt519

Wow I don't care about the price, I'll get my money worth out of the new raid, strikes, campaign, and subclasses. That complete denial on the exclusive content though. I thought for sure they would reverse their decision on that. They really expect people to rebuy content, unreal.

Flintty

Pretty sure they can't deposit 'respect' in their bank accounts. But I guess, that's what the money is for.

I don't disagree, of course they are in it for the money. But for me, pride in my work and my reputation carry a lot of weight. Bungie used to be like that.

wipeout364

For me the problem is he always answers this way. Matchmaking exclusion from strikes and raids was also kind of explained this way; too bad screw you guys you're lucky to get anything.

Also as someone who generally buys DLC fairly frequently I felt the expansion passes were not great value so if they want to sell me now on more DLC they need to really show me vAlue cause I felt ripped off by the first two.

Also this guy has terrible PR skills and needs to be more for the fans. The entitled role works for pod casting not so much for somebody trying to sell things.

Everdred

Do we know of the boxed version of taken king is the Destiny base on disk and the extra content in digital? If that's the case, buy the box with Best Buy game club, register the content and sell the game. You might actually save $10 on the taken king.

Dirtbag

Meh, if its worth the cost who cares. If it isn't don't buy it.
Probably a better way Luke could have phrased things, but seriously its a product.
You are owed nothing

I don't understand how Bungie can continue to stumble from PR snafu to PR snafu regarding this game. Frankly, it's pretty amazing.

It's impressive for sure. Just when I thought that they couldn't sink any lower. They go a do something like this.

3-01Dumb-and-Dumber-quotes.gif

Meh, if its worth the cost who cares. If it isn't don't buy it.
Probably a better way Luke could have phrased things, but seriously its a product.
You are owed nothing

This same mindset can be applied to anything. It doesn't make you cool to say it here.

Wolfe

Taken King is $40 lol

ODST was a stand alone game lol

Nope. It was a juvenile reaction to common sense, and his post was propped up as a beacon shining on Bungie's ill-hearted practices. Unfortunately, it was more of a highlight of his brother's stupidity, or at best, naivety. Hence why I asked if the poor guy knew the truth about Santa yet.

Nope sorry you still sound like a dick.

You misunderstand, ODST was a game they thought was worth 40 and MS insisted on 60 whereas people think ttk is worth maybe 20 and bungie insists its 40.

Just a role reversal now where they inflate their games worth now whereas they used to argue the opposite in previous years.
Are these "people" the same ones who don't know the full content of Taken King?

Bungie thought the value of ODST was less than marketed, this time they think differently. This is surprising?

Zocano

Nope sorry you still sound like a dick.

The truth can sting.

That sort of carrot on a stick gameplay loop is common in mmo-like game design. It shoulda been obvious this is the road destiny would go down. Raging now after two expansions is silly.

gdt

How the flying fuck would anyone know what TTK is worth except for Bungie?

Granted when it comes out if the content isn't worth it (asset wise) they deserve to get shit on.

That's true, it is subjective, especially with a game as divisive as Destiny, though I do think the comparisons to MMOs are fair.

As much as I love Destiny, I felt the DLCs were both kinda lame, and it leaves me with little faith that the expansion will be substantial enough to change my mind. I hope I am wrong.

Nice avatar btw.

Stalker rules man, such an underapreciated gem

Arc

Does Luke still have an active GAF account? I wonder if he'll come in and clarify his statements.

Surprised to see so many here not giving him the benefit of the doubt. What do people expect him to say? He's proud of what they've made and probably has his hands tied anyways. People can't expect him to come out against his employerer just because he would have ripped this while at 1UP.

Dishy

Unconfirmed Member
DeeJ just posted this on Reddit:

Hey, there. First day back from E3, so I'm catching up on a lot of conversation about The Taken King. Please know that we're reading this feedback and taking it as seriously - as we always do. Destiny is a great game because we worked together to make it that way over the course of the past year. That partnership has not changed.

I understand that you want me to go on record right now with something that will address the disappointment that's being expressed here. I'm going to differ to the Bungie Weekly Update, in which we'll talk more about the things we're doing to celebrate the year-one Guardians who helped us build this community. I'll also revisit our goals in offering different versions of The Taken King. Ever heard the old adage about trying to please everyone?

More on this soon.

Good to be home!

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyThe...ie_defending_the_taken_king_price_tag/csfapff

Two Words

Does Luke still have an active GAF account? I wonder if he'll come in and clarify his statements.

Surprised to see so many here not giving him the benefit of the doubt. What do people expect him to say? He's proud of what they've made and probably has his hands tied anyways. People can't expect him to come out against his employerer just because he would have ripped this while at 1UP.

Benefit of the doubt has worn out for some time, man. People sat through the release of the game and two expansions and were left dissapointed. TTK so far seems like more of the same. They've yet to really make the game feel like a significant improvement. Just more content at what people are finding isn't enough for the price so far.

Zocano

The problem is most destiny hate is gut reaction shit like this thread. While the practice is shitty, lumping the blame on Luke Smith seems futile and ignorant.

Also yes he does but I see no reason for him to speak out when he couldn't in an interview.

Two Words

Is that last line seriously hinting at "Sorry, we can't please everybody. And by everybody, I mean you."

The problem is most destiny hate is gut reaction shit like this thread. While the practice is shitty, lumping the blame on Luke Smith seems futile and ignorant.

Also yes he does but I see no reason for him to speak out when he couldn't in an interview.

Believe it or not, but there is actually a fairly large group of people that have played Destiny, did not like it or were very disappointed by it, and are just vocal about it because they had high hopes for what it could be. It's very insular to just claim the negative responses as blind knee jerking.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Playing Devil's Advocate for a moment, in the £80 version you get all this:

TTKBeautyCol.jpg

If we assume you're paying £40 for the expansion, then the other £40 is for all this other stuff. I think it's perhaps a little disingenuous to say they're making you shell out for the game again, as opposed to saying the game is included on the off-chance someone new to Destiny wants to jump in now and likes Limited Edition tat.

Think about it, if they'd decided to charge £80 for this without the base game and first two expansions, would it seem like that scummy a pack? (for the sake of argument let's say you're ok with paying £40 for the TTK)

It says for the "Ultimate Destiny Fan"... so they reward the "ultimate fan" with the same shit said fan already bought? With a few added physical trinkets and the expansion?

Seems a tad disingenuous on their part. It is clearly for newcomers trying to spark a second breath come this holiday season that has a lot of heavy hitters in the FPS department.

This reminds me, I have yet to play the two new expansions even though they are downloaded, nor seen any changes. I have to hop back in soon.

mocoworm

What an absolute cunt this Luke from Bungie comes across as. Fucking asshole. He even laughs at the fact that we have to rebuy the stuff we already have to get the content.

hamchan

Wait people are complaining about the price? This is standard pricing for an MMO Expansion Pack:

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm $40
World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria $40
Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward $40

Seriously I would love to see a census of the current Playerbase of Destiny to determine how many of those players ever played an MMO before Destiny because I can only imagine how much whining they would give if they had to pay a monthly subscription in top of the expansion price.

I think all you've done is remind people how content rich proper MMOs are and how much they add in every expansion.

Ghazi

I don't understand why everyone's so upset about the emotes. Let those who want to spend that money on it do so, it's not the end of the world. The fact that exotic class items and emotes exist as bonuses with the package confirms that there'll be many more of them in the actual expansion. Besides, it's not like Luke or Bungie likely had a major part in this decision. It's more mindless Destiny hate.

FuturusX

I don't disagree, of course they are in it for the money. But for me, pride in my work and my reputation carry a lot of weight. Bungie used to be like that.

Absolutely, I am just highlighting where I feel their priorities lie. If video games can be art. Destiny is surely not it.

$40 for an expansion pack tells you all you need to know.

Top Bottom