• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky PC |OT|

Psxphile

Anyone have a list of the hidden quests?

Here you go. Tried to keep spoilers to a minimum. Pretty sure that's all of the ones related to gaining BP. Doesn't include stuff like collecting all Carnelia books to get Estelle/Joshua's ultimate weapons or getting gifts from NPCs for talking to them/giving them stuff at the right times.

Despera

Banned
Just beat the game and I think it was an average JRPG overall. That goes for every aspect of it including the story.

If the next game has less unnecessary dialogue and better pacing I'm willing to give it a shot.

Psxphile

If your pc can handle it just go for the highest settings. Trails doesn't really push all that hard. If you start playing and you notice weird graphical anomalies (was this ever fixed?) you can try turning off Hardware Vertex Shading which *should* fix the issue. Pretty sure High Resolution Fonts won't cause anyone any more crashes, but if it does you can also turn that off (or on if not, I forget the default).

If you're using a direct-input controller you might want or need to remap some buttons (X-input should map correctly). Yes, the cancel button and Camp screen button are one and the same (you'll get used to it). Some peeps have issues with the right-stick camera going nuts, but you can turn that off in config.

Seda

I just played it in a 720p window (on 1080p monitor) with most settings on, completely using the mouse.

That's probably weird though.

Ultimadrago

This music doh

These tunes are jammin'. Who composed?

Also, I'm still in the Prologue, but I'm certainly enjoying the introduction thus far. The dialogue clicks rather nicely together and it seems like everyone in town has something to say after you do anything. I hope to see more of that as the game goes on.

This music doh

These tunes are jammin'. Who composed?

Also, I'm still in the Prologue, but I'm certainly enjoying the introduction thus far. The dialogue clicks rather nicely together and it seems like everyone in town has something to say after you do anything. I hope to see more of that as the game goes on.

Oh this is true and important. After I had advanced the plot some way, I always checked what the NPCs had to say.

Gu4n

Oh this is true and important. After I had advanced the plot some way, I always checked what the NPCs had to say.
I've seen people accurately predicting some plot points in SC solely based on dialogues with NPCs (and some proper thinking), in particular in the latter chapters.

I've seen people accurately predicting some plot points in SC solely based on dialogues with NPCs (and some proper thinking), in particular in the latter chapters.

I'd honestly hope people could figure at least a few things out when it comes to the foreshadowing for the sequel, considering there's so much of it in this. Certain things also become a lot more obvious if you're a big rpg/anime fan, since so many of the bigger rpgs/anime use many of the same plot devices.

Psxphile

Been marathoning my second playthrough the last couple of days, after it laid stagnant months before at Chapter 1 while other things occupied my time. Really racking up those achievements I missed out on the first time through (especially the ones that were thought to be broken before all those patches... hello Patient Plunderer). New Game + really takes the challenge out of it, though... I guess I shouldn't have chickened out of Hard mode.

I just really wanted to get my perfect Bracer score saved and ready for carry-over when Second Chapter hits. I'm close to wrapping up the Grancel chapter, and then I'll be set. Monster Book was fun to fill in even though there's no achievement tied to it, but what a shame you have to sacrifice Bracer Points to complete Zeiss' list. So much for 100 percent. I'm not going to replay this one again anytime soon.

Uh, heard on the grapevine that Second Chapter will also require more than one playthrough to 100% (apparently you have to pick and choose from two different routes to follow at some point?)... and that's on top of being more than twice the size of FC.

EDIT: Finally!
173Yo02.jpg

So yeah, this game is great. I've been holding off until now because I fear The Thirst. And it looks as though I'm right, since I'm part of the way through Chapter 2 (getting around to side-quests before Jenis now) and it keeps improving. Olivier is awesome in general, but I find the scene with him in the slammer most interesting. There's an undercurrent of absurdity to Morgan's arrest and incarceration of the main characters, which Olivier's story-telling makes all the more noticeable. It's not just that he's a bard, it's that Falcom uses him for utmost comic relief while simultaneously making him out to be more than he lets on. I could say the same for the protagonists, Schera, even sideshow people like Aina and Josette (latter's got the Waifu Award so far).

Flaws exist, of course. It took me too long to figure out some enemies' behaviors (the first Insectoids in Rolent mainly), and I feel like the game could have done a better job telegraphing in what circumstances they would attack a character. I also take offense to a couple of plot events, like when a monster tries to ambush Estelle while she's gloating to Luke and Pat in Esmelas Tower. Problem here is the monster did not at all seem threatening, so Cassius jumping in and using her as an example (which she goes along with) doesn't ring. I'd rather have fought the damn thing and either won or lost, a kind of role-playing that I find more meaningful compared to some quest choices. Speaking of those, I find the Air-Letten nephew quest tedious, since there's no easy way to figure out which option is the best other than reloading—good thing the bad options are still hilarious.

My bad habit right now is fighting too much and exploring areas like Esmelas Tower and the Nebel Valley way ahead of time (went immediately through the latter as soon as I could, even before registering in Bose). I'm not sure I'm over-leveled, but it's hard to know when a challenging fight's coming because of this. Oh well. All the Sophisticated Fight haters can suck it! That song keeps me going for much too long with how catchy and modern it sounds.

ezodagrom

Cleared my first playthrough. No canteen's deep enough to quench The Thirst! Seriously, what an ending.

Weissmann creeps me the fuck out. Richard himself is revealed to have genuine fears, whereas this guy comes out of nowhere and does the most blatant plot dump in the whole game like it's a game. His reveal's handled well, as is the idea that Joshua may never reclaim his boyhood self prior to his breakdown and Black Fang thereafter. I focus a lot more on Estelle mainly because it's very easy for me to emphasize with Joshua already...shit really is about to go down, though, and Estelle being positive going forward makes the most sense. Also, I'm excited to meet the Capuas in SC, probably for the same reasons I love the Bonnes
. I'm very impressed with how long I played this game due to it having such dense world-building and a satisfying battle system.

I brought along
Kloe and Olivier
for the final boss. Multi-part enemy wasn't that big a deal compared to
Lorence
, in whose case I had to experiment before realizing Kaempfer is OP. Confusion really is the best (or at least the most fun) status condition to inflict, especially during the Tournament finals. Finally, it's funky how some animations lock at 30 FPS, much lower than for other animated models.

Vylash

so i'm about to
infiltrate Grancel Castle to rescue the queen
and everything from this point on sounds like a pain in the ass, is there any way to make it a bit easier?

so i'm about to
infiltrate Grancel Castle to rescue the queen
and everything from this point on sounds like a pain in the ass, is there any way to make it a bit easier?
If you haven't fought him already, make sure you can get Estelle's party up to 200 CP for the battle with Lorence. Guy's not supposed to be defeated, but you can definitely take him down with S-Crafts and Kaempfer spamming. Make sure you have accessories equipped to ward against mute and confuse.

Sorry, not real sure about where to ask this one, but about to purchase a windows 8 really low weight tablet, between a surface 3 or one of the HP streams. Does anyone run this game on any equivalent hardware, if so how does it fair and with what resolution, thanks! I had this for PSP originally but never got around to playing it, excited to jump back in.

Erheller

This game was released for PC in 2004, so I think a toaster (with an integrated graphics card) should be able to run it perfectly fine.

It was just $10 on GOG a day or two ago. Not sure if it still is. Will probably drop to a similar price during the Steam sale.

Nah, it's back at 19.99, but like you said it should get a drop during the steam sale. I wonder if they'll also do a drop around SC's launch to entice people interested in SC to get FC too (as they should).

aravuus

Ending spoilers in both tags so maybe no clicky or maybe yes whatever I'm not your mom

Super slowly making my way through the PC version, wish we'd get a solid-ish release date for SC so I could find the motivation to binge through the rest of FC. Can't wait to be disappointed by the obvious
"power of love wins and Joshua is now a good guy again"
"twist".

I really hope Joshua stays evil, partly because it'd be genuinely surprising, partly because Joshua and Estelle are kiiind of annoying characters and I don't want to see them end up happily together lmao

e: suddenly finding SC in the Steam sales would be fucking amazing though

Joshua's more annoying to me, partly because he exhibits a more subtle passive-aggressiveness than Estelle's. OTOH she's naive but is making an effort to learn from her peers—Joshua's got his mind all made up,
literally for the most part
. The real struggle I foresee is Joshua figuring out what kind of person he was going to be prior to
Weissmann
taking him away. I don't loathe either of the characters, so when they annoy me it's because I know they can do better and hopefully will. Olivier knows he can play dumb about things he knows or wants to know, all because of his character flaws, so maybe he's the most annoying one so far (aside from Cassius, lol).

Ending spoilers in both tags so maybe no clicky or maybe yes whatever I'm not your mom

Super slowly making my way through the PC version, wish we'd get a solid-ish release date for SC so I could find the motivation to binge through the rest of FC. Can't wait to be disappointed by the obvious
"power of love wins and Joshua is now a good guy again"
"twist".

I really hope Joshua stays evil, partly because it'd be genuinely surprising, partly because Joshua and Estelle are kiiind of annoying characters and I don't want to see them end up happily together lmao

e: suddenly finding SC in the Steam sales would be fucking amazing though

You monster! :p

My head canon/predictions are
hopefully it's him being damaged again or he's double agent one on a suicide mission one.
Falcom's been good not to
do a one-note face-heel-face turn without care and tact, and Wiseman actually STOPPED whim-whamming him there, so that's right out.

Joshua's more annoying to me, partly because he exhibits a more subtle passive-aggressiveness than Estelle's. OTOH she's naive but is making an effort to learn from her peers—Joshua's got his mind all made up,
literally for the most part
. The real struggle I foresee is Joshua figuring out what kind of person he was going to be prior to
Weissmann
taking him away. I don't loathe either of the characters, so when they annoy me it's because I know they can do better and hopefully will. Olivier knows he can play dumb about things he knows or wants to know, all because of his character flaws, so maybe he's the most annoying one so far (aside from Cassius, lol).

pVG2yWV.png

I didn't even know about the alternate final boss ending where, if you've failed to
get enough BP/do enough side-quests (info was rather vague last I checked), Cassius does all the work for you when he appears to fight Reverie, meaning you don't even get that final phase where you start with max CP
. Cassius is so OP he needs his own game...maybe The Legend of Hero: Trails of the Colonel?

max_505

I didn't even know about the alternate final boss ending where, if you've failed to
get enough BP/do enough side-quests (info was rather vague last I checked), Cassius does all the work for you when he appears to fight Reverie, meaning you don't even get that final phase where you start with max CP
. Cassius is so OP he needs his own game...maybe The Legend of Hero: Trails of the Colonel?

LOL

I'd honestly buy that.

Well it's known that Menjou didn't take much to acting with Katherine Hepburn (conservative vs. liberal). Are you saying Cassius harbors some kind of discomfort whenever he takes requests with Scherazard?!

I'll stop now. Also, Peace Bestowed By Twilight is the best dungeon theme in the game after Hollow Light of the Sealed Land.

Mr.Jeff

I'm playing through FC again since it's nearly Summer and I thought I'd make the effort to chat to all the NPCs after every event on this playthrough and see what they all have to say.
This may explain why my in-game time is now at 33 hours and I'm only now reaching the Play in Chapter 2.

Anyway this aside, there's a couple of things I've picked up from some NPCs which have intrigued me but no doubt have been touched on in later games.
1) In Bose in the bar, there's a scholar who starts ranting about the ruined civilization that used to exist in ancient times but he swiftly moves onto talk of dragons. He makes mention that they are wise beings which hints to me that they are sentient beings capable of human communication.
He also mentions that they all began disappearing around the time of the Orbal Revolution which was 50 years ago. Finally he finishes off by saying that one of the last dragons seen was in the Bose region and he has managed to find a person who saw it last.

2) At the Haken Gate, one of the guards on the wall mentions that you used to be able to see an Erebonian town from up on the wall but it vanished entirely shortly before the start of the Hundred Day War. He also mentions that it couldn't have been Liberl since they made no excursions into the Empire.
Since at this point there wasn't much n the way of explanation for the war in the first place, perhaps this provides a reason for it.

3)This is less of a point of intrigue and more something interesting. Someone mentioned that the Empire was originally a mass of differnt cultures and microstates before it was all unified into the empire it is. They also make mention that the Imperial family still has a vice like grip on the country's rulership.

Gu4n

I'm playing through FC again since it's nearly Summer and I thought I'd make the effort to chat to all the NPCs after every event on this playthrough and see what they all have to say.
This may explain why my in-game time is now at 33 hours and I'm only now reaching the Play in Chapter 2.

Anyway this aside, there's a couple of things I've picked up from some NPCs which have intrigued me but no doubt have been touched on in later games.
1) In Bose in the bar, there's a scholar who starts ranting about the ruined civilization that used to exist in ancient times but he swiftly moves onto talk of dragons. He makes mention that they are wise beings which hints to me that they are sentient beings capable of human communication.
He also mentions that they all began disappearing around the time of the Orbal Revolution which was 50 years ago. Finally he finishes off by saying that one of the last dragons seen was in the Bose region and he has managed to find a person who saw it last.

2) At the Haken Gate, one of the guards on the wall mentions that you used to be able to see an Erebonian town from up on the wall but it vanished entirely shortly before the start of the Hundred Day War. He also mentions that it couldn't have been Liberl since they made no excursions into the Empire.
Since at this point there wasn't much n the way of explanation for the war in the first place, perhaps this provides a reason for it.

3)This is less of a point of intrigue and more something interesting. Someone mentioned that the Empire was originally a mass of differnt cultures and microstates before it was all unified into the empire it is. They also make mention that the Imperial family still has a vice like grip on the country's rulership.
*thumbs up*

Bookmark your own post and re-read it after you've finished SC and Cold Steel.

FLD

Damn, I'm currently replaying FC on Steam and I haven't caught anything like that so far. Now I'm gonna get paranoid and just start talking to everyone.

Mr.Jeff

Damn, I'm currently replaying FC on Steam and I haven't caught anything like that so far. Now I'm gonna get paranoid and just start talking to everyone.
It's only every so often that you encounter an NPC that talks about interesting little tidbits like that.
Most of the time, they're usually making comments about their own lives such as the women who wanders round going Bose going "Oh I like shopping. I wish I could go shopping right now. Damn, I cant go shopping because of the army. When can I go shopping again. Awesome, I can go shopping again" but then you get the occasional NPC that hints that they might actually achieve something the next time you see them in SC. Like the little would-be-reporter girl in Rolent or the adorable little boy and girl pair in Bose.

The dialogue changes so often though. The prologue ended up taking me 11 hours (but I spent silly time unlocking my orbments heh) and Chapter 1 took me up to 25 hours on the clock. Heaven knows how long Grancel will take me since I recall that as being FILLED with NPCs.

FLD

Ha, yeah, I'm taking my sweet ass time as well. I'm roughly 25 hours in and am just starting Chapter 2. I already played the game on my Vita last summer, so I'm mostly replaying it to refresh my memory of the main plot and get a perfect save ready for SC.

I'm also attempting to get all the achievements done in a single playthrough, so I'm using a guide/spreadsheet to make sure I don't miss anything. So that adds quite a bit of time to double check everything whenever the plot moves forward.

It's kinda weird replaying it now since I basically went in blind the first time whereas now I know quite a bit more about the Kiseki world. So, I'm actually getting a lot more out of the world building, which is really nice. It ended up sucking me right back in.

Mr.Jeff

So some further musings now that I've just reached the end of the Play in Chapter 2:

1)Obviously the question of the silver haired man remains. As I recall he doesn't appear again but judging by Joshua's disposition he will evidently make a further appearance later.

2) Joseph, the Matron's husband is mentioned a few times. I wonder if there is more to him than simply that summary.

3) The actual content of the play is intriguing. Presumably it had some basis on real life events since someone comments "they've done their research" but how much of it was actually true would be interesting. The miracle at the end also raises questions about Aidios; whether her presence in the story was of a fictional intercession or whether there was some genuine involvement.

Top Bottom