• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi preacher proves that Earth doesn't spin around its axis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
This is quite literally one of the stupidest arguments I've ever read.

It takes out-of-context to a whole new level

Once again, context helps

You should realize by now, especially if you read the thread, that they are not interested in anything like "context".

It's especially funny when the OP insist the intent of this thread was not to generalize Muslim as a whole but he has been quite transparent about exactly opposite of that throughout the thread.

Meh, why does this thread gets a necrobump anyways?

Okay, so guys, I went and looked at a bunch of 'videos of the earth from space' videos on youtube and apparently this conspiracy theory is super popular because there are comments on every freaking video about how it's fake and it's CGI and shit. What? HOW ARE THESE PEOPLE EVEN...

*breathes*

cz2GHOe.gif

image.png

Never eeeeeeeeeeeeverrrrrr read the youtube comments.

CrytoHim

Banned
I just wanted to check if you had a religious motivation. It's interesting that your only motivation comes from challenging the established perspectives that exist.

I mean, do you not suspect something of NASA at least? You'd have to at least consider a conspiracy of some kind. If so, I ask what?

It's almost always religious or conspiracy based, and if you are going to suspect NASA to be liars, then you have to believe that they actively work to lie to people...and why do you think that is?

A few months ago I came across a video showing the earth is stationary. A lot of times in my life I thought of the same things that didn't make sense if the earth is rotating. I never articulated it for fear of looking stupid. For instance, why don't sky divers land much, much further from where they jumped if the earth beneath them is supposedly moving about 1,000 mph at the equator? Felix Baumgartner, in New Mexico, skydived from a record of 22 miles yet landed only several miles east from his landing site. My rough calculation says he should have landed in the Pacific Ocean if the earth was spinning beneath him. The answer I usually get is the atmosphere is rotating with the earth. Then I ask at what altitude does the atmosphere not rotate with the earth? I get no answer. I ask what proof is there that the atmosphere is rotating with the earth? I get no proof.

Furtuermore if the atmosphere is rotating with the earth I asked isnt it odd the wind travels in all kinds of directions, sometimes changing by the second and sometimes clouds moving at different directions in the same area of the sky? For instance, observe a stratum of clouds going for hours together in a direction the very opposite to that in which the earth is supposed to be moving and sometimes you can see different layers of stratum of clouds moving south- north direction and the other moving in a west-east direction. It gets more complicated than that, different strata may be seen not only moving in different directions but, at the same time, moving with different velocities; some floating rapidly and uniformly, and others passing gently along, sometimes becoming stationary, then starting fitfully into motion, and often standing still for minutes together. I get no satisfactory answer.

This video is a good illustration of what I am talking about https://youtu.be/CDl7bzmtKI0

After that I spent hours and hours reading literature and doing research on this topic and now I am really questioning a lot of things. I'm sort of going through cognitive dissonance. This really blows my mind. And I am fine these days being the odd man out so what people say doesn't bother me. I want the truth so I welcome people to challenge what I say. You know what they say iron sharpens iron.

sphagnum

Banned
I don't know. I'm still researching and seeking. But I am very skeptical of the prevailing paradigm. I still haven't come across hard scientific evidence that the earth is a spinning ball.

Is it wrong to question and challenge? Everyone should question and challenge what they were told as fact or true, right? RIGHT?

Look out at the horizon. You can see the curvature of the Earth. Therefore it's a sphere. Even ancient peoples knew this.

Remember that NASA is not the only group of people that have ever gone into space. What about the Soviets, or private companies involved in satellites, or Britain, Japan, China, etc? Is it logical to think they're all lying about the Earth being a spinning ball that goes around the sun?

A For instance, why don't sky divers land much, much further from where they jumped if the earth beneath them is supposedly moving about 1,000 mph at the equator?

Objects in motion stay in motion. We're spinning with the earth too?

I'm being trolled ..... Good night

Eos

Serious post, what hard scientific evidence do we have the Earth is a spinning ball?

That animation looks very, very fake.

The pic supposedly from the Moon looks fake too. The Earth is supposed to be 4x larger. Why doesn't it look such size in the pic?

NASA has been caught red handed doctoring images.

For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VWM0XswwGg

A time-lapse video (supposedly) of a 25-hour period of Earth's rotation and yet none of the clouds are moving or morphing at all. Very suspect.

Another video https://youtu.be/klP6Z1Ahqos

There are a lot more images that have been obviously been fake or doctored.

This popular image is supposedly from Apollo 17
earth-full-view_6125_990x742.jpg

But I thought the earth was an oblate spheroid? That's what they said so it must be true. This looks like an almost perfect circle. It probably is a perfect circle. Nevermind it looks fake.

But wait a minute. The earth is now apparently pear shaped according to Neil Tyson Degrasse https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E9G8fbnZ24

I am doing a lot of research on NASA, the supposed Moon landings and a lot of other pertinent stuff. I'm very skeptical of NASA. How many people know that NASA hired a lot of Nazis in Project Paperclip, ran by high level Freemasons, and was associated with a satanist, Jack Parson, who wanted to create the Antichrist? There is just a whole lot of stuff about NASA I have come across which makes me think NASA can't be trusted.

I tend to question and challenge the prevailing paradigm so sorry if I offended anyone.

I don't know. I'm still researching and seeking. But I am very skeptical of the prevailing paradigm. I still haven't come across hard scientific evidence that the earth is a spinning ball.

Is it wrong to question and challenge? Everyone should question and challenge what they were told as fact or true, right? RIGHT?

A few months ago I came across a video showing the earth is stationary. A lot of times in my life I thought of the same things that didn't make sense if the earth is rotating. I never articulated it for fear of looking stupid. For instance, why don't sky divers land much, much further from where they jumped if the earth beneath them is supposedly moving about 1,000 mph at the equator? Felix Baumgartner, in New Mexico, skydived from a record of 22 miles yet landed only several miles east from his landing site. My rough calculation says he should have landed in the Pacific Ocean if the earth was spinning beneath him. The answer I usually get is the atmosphere is rotating with the earth. Then I ask at what altitude does the atmosphere not rotate with the earth? I get no answer. I ask what proof is there that the atmosphere is rotating with the earth? I get no proof.

Furtuermore if the atmosphere is rotating with the earth I asked isnt it odd the wind travels in all kinds of directions, sometimes changing by the second and sometimes clouds moving at different directions in the same area of the sky? For instance, observe a stratum of clouds going for hours together in a direction the very opposite to that in which the earth is supposed to be moving and sometimes you can see different layers of stratum of clouds moving south- north direction and the other moving in a west-east direction. It gets more complicated than that, different strata may be seen not only moving in different directions but, at the same time, moving with different velocities; some floating rapidly and uniformly, and others passing gently along, sometimes becoming stationary, then starting fitfully into motion, and often standing still for minutes together. I get no satisfactory answer.

This video is a good illustration of what I am talking about https://youtu.be/CDl7bzmtKI0

After that I spent hours and hours reading literature and doing research on this topic and now I am really questioning a lot of things. I'm sort of going through cognitive dissonance. This really blows my mind. And I am fine these days being the odd man out so what people say doesn't bother me. I want the truth so I welcome people to challenge what I say. You know what they say iron sharpens iron.

mj-laughing.gif

Moff

I ask what proof is there that the atmosphere is rotating with the earth?

jump upside inside a moving train and you will land on the same spot. it's really super basic physics.

I'd love to hear what you think causes our day and night cycle, though. isn't that the most basic and obvious proof that our planet is spinning?

sandy1297

almost as crazy as this guy

Well, get back to me when they're brave enough to let a woman grab a steering wheel.

Indonesia, the largest Muslim country in the world (and the place where the current US president stay as a kid) have had a female president

so yeah, try to separate muslim with middle east

I absolutely understand and empathize your confusion and cognitive dissonance with how we generally understand the earth to operate.

When I fuck my wife, I make sure to moneyshot her in the same direction the earth is moving, out of sweaty fear the momentum will reverse and I'll end up wearing the white pearl necklace.
And then you can see different layers of jizzum moving south- north direction down my eyeballs and the other moving in a west-east direction on my chin. Would be a sickly sight.

CrytoHim

Banned
Look out at the horizon. You can see the curvature of the Earth. Therefore it's a sphere. Even ancient peoples knew this.

Remember that NASA is not the only group of people that have ever gone into space. What about the Soviets, or private companies involved in satellites, or Britain, Japan, China, etc? Is it logical to think they're all lying about the Earth being a spinning ball that goes around the sun?

You say the curvature of the earth. Yet this has been challenged.

FlatEarthSeaHorizon1.jpg

FlatEarthAirHorizon0.jpg

And from what I have gathered engineers don't factor the curvature of the earth for railways:

J.C. Bourne in his book, “The History of the Great Western Railway” stated that the entire original English railroad, more than 118 miles long, that the whole line with the exception of the inclined planes, may be regarded practically as level. The British Parliament Session in 1862 that approved its construction recorded in Order No. 44 for the proposed railway, “That the section be drawn to the same HORIZONTAL scale as the plan, and to a vertical scale of not less than one inch to every one hundred feet, and shall show the surface of the ground marked on the plan, the intended level of the proposed work, the height of every embankment, and the depth of every cutting, and a DATUM HORIZONTAL LINE which shall be the same throughout the whole length of the work.”

“One hundred and eighteen miles of LEVEL railway, and yet the surface on which it is projected a globe? Impossible. It cannot be. Early in 1898 I met Mr. Hughes, chief officer of the steamer ‘City of Lincoln.’ This gentleman told me he had projected thousands of miles of level railway in South America, and never heard of any allowance for curvature being made. On one occasion he surveyed over one thousand miles of railway which was a perfect straight line all the way. It is well known that in the Argentine Republic and other parts of South America, there are railways thousands of miles long without curve or gradient. In projecting railways, the world is acknowledged to be a plane, and if it were a globe the rules of projection have yet to be discovered. Level railways prove a level world, to the utter confusion of the globular school of impractical men with high salaries and little brains.” –Thomas Winship, “Zetetic Cosmogeny”

“That in all surveys no allowance is made for curvature, which would be a necessity on a globe; that a horizontal line is in every case the datum line, the same line being continuous throughout the whole length of the work; and that the theodolite cuts a line at equal altitudes on either side of it, which altitude is the same as that of the instrument, clearly proves, to those who will accept proof when it is furnished, that the world is a plane and not a globe.” –Thomas Winship, “Zetetic Cosmogeny”

Engineer, W. Winckler, wrote into the Earth Review October 1893 regarding the Earth’s supposed curvature, stating, “As an engineer of many years standing, I saw that this absurd allowance is only permitted in school books. No engineer would dream of allowing anything of the kind. I have projected many miles of railways and many more of canals and the allowance has not even been thought of, much less allowed for. This allowance for curvature means this – that it is 8” for the first mile of a canal, and increasing at the ratio by the square of the distance in miles; thus a small navigable canal for boats, say 30 miles long, will have, by the above rule an allowance for curvature of 600 feet. Think of that and then please credit engineers as not being quite such fools. Nothing of the sort is allowed. We no more think of allowing 600 feet for a line of 30 miles of railway or canal, than of wasting our time trying to square the circle”

There are videos that makes the horizon look curve only because the video is taken with a GoPro with fish eye lenses.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration

Welcome to the hologram brother, enjoy your stay.

CrytoHim

Banned
I think I am going to end it here. For the sake of not getting banned. And I doubt I will get a serious discussion anyways.

Have a goodnight.

It is good that you are asking questions, because curiosity is the wellspring of science. People dismissing you offhand are in some aspects stupider than you about science.

But other phenomena stops making sense if you assume the Earth does not rotate. Copernicus wrote a book about it in the 1500s. You can start there if you want proof. Then you can start wondering to yourself why a skydiver doesn't land many miles away from his jump off point if the Earth does indeed rotate.

MrFatCat

Banned

I have one word for you. ASTROPHYSICS! Learn it dumb padawan.

Wait what's the actual point of this thread?

To point at a preacher and just say "lmao look at how dumb he is, religion is so stupid"

Why were you itching to post this video OP?
This bro (the preacher) is taking vast liberties with the truth. Its funny... Especially considering people buy it. Same with Christian mega preachers. Clown act, all of them. We should point a finger and laugh.

I think I am going to end it here. For the sake of not getting banned. And I doubt I will get a serious discussion anyways.

Have a goodnight.

No one will take you seriously if you are asking questions that are answered in high school physics classes.

Instead of reading whatever sources you are getting your illogical theories from, pick up a physics textbook.

That said, you still haven't answered as to what causes our day and night cycle if it's not the earth spinning.

but how does he explain the fact that when kitty pride phases out of the earth's gravity, she can travel thousands of miles in minutes by allowing the earth to rotate independently from her???
Wait does this actually happen in the comics? Doesn't it only work... one way? How is that helpful at all? If she's in New York and needs to get to LA does she have to go around the entire rest of the world to get there?

Or maybe I just don't actually understand or comprehend just how blisteringly fast the earth rotates? I mean it does take about 12 hours for the sun to get from one side of the sky to the other but maybe that's just an illusion due to how the earth rotates?

Please someone help me. I'm trying to remember the lyrics from that Monty Python song. The earth orbits at 90 miles per second? Right? Ugh I'm so confused and I feel... really stupid.

Norml

FlatEarthSeaHorizon1.jpg

FlatEarthAirHorizon0.jpg

And from what I have gathered engineers don't factor the curvature of the earth for railways:

There are videos that makes the horizon look curve only because the video is taken with a GoPro with fish eye lenses.
Pics and quote are kinda neat.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration
Wait does this actually happen in the comics? Doesn't it only work... one way? How is that helpful at all? If she's in New York and needs to get to LA does she have to go around the entire rest of the world to get there?

Or maybe I just don't actually understand or comprehend just how blisteringly fast the earth rotates? I mean it does take about 12 hours for the sun to get from one side of the sky to the other but maybe that's just an illusion due to how the earth rotates?

Please someone help me. I'm trying to remember the lyrics from that Monty Python song. The earth orbits at 90 miles per second? Right? Ugh I'm so confused and I feel... really stupid.

The earth is rotating along it's axis as well as rotating around the sun, the speed of the sun rising and setting is not indicative of the speed the earth is rotating.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I hate these videos they ignore too much practical science find me the moon people who argue very interesting facts and then try to say that is why the moon is a hollow AI that serves god as a relay becon or even better that there are dragons gold collecting machines on the moon nasa has to block out.

At least its not another hollow earth theory.

My point I hate about videos like these the most is how do they really inform me or make my actual life day to day or even in my lifetime better.

nubbe

FlatEarthSeaHorizon1.jpg

FlatEarthAirHorizon0.jpg

even the ancient Greeks could measure that the earth was round

xs5oEUC.gif

You don't need to see the curvature of the earth to know that the earth is round.. you just need to watch a boat with sails disappear over the horizon.

The earth is rotating along it's axis as well as rotating around the sun, the speed of the sun rising and setting is not indicative of the speed the earth is rotating.
Ah ok, yes that's right.

Is there any way we could get like a video of the earth spinning from space? Like a real time video, like lock the camera in one spot and let the earth just whiz by?

If that's not scientifically possible due to gravity and such, is it possible or has anyone made a computer model?

The world around us is so fucking crazy and awesome man, I tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom