• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic The Hedgehog Offical Thread

GitarooMan said:
It just still blows my mind that this game sucks so hard. I'm a huge platformer fan, so I desparately wanted this to be even passable (even hoping the PS3 version would be a little improved). I buy a ton of games, and given how few PS3 games there are and my love of platformers, I would buy it if it even had a modicum of goodness, but it really sounds like it is totally broken. Unbelievable.

I didn't believe it myself. I knew that people hated the 3D Sonic games. Sure, why not? The Genesis games were always a thousand times better, ever since the first Sonic Adventure. Maybe people were just hating on it, because it was 'cool' to hate on 3D Sonic?

Sonic Adventure was an above average game. No reason to hate on that one. Sonic Adventure 2 was also a good(albiet, severely flawed in many sections) game.

Sonic Heroes was passable. Average, at best...

And Shadow...well, Shadow was...pretty bad.

But not this bad.

I played this game on a demo kiosk at Best Buy and couldn't believe what I was playing. I couldn't believe how bad it was. The haters all were right.

I've liked my share of quirky, much-maligned post-Dreamcast Sega titles in my time. Heck, I even thought Virtua Quest was a fun little game if you give it a chance.

But no. This time, there is nothing. No redeeming qualities to be found here. Absolutely deplorable on a grand scale. You'd think the music would at least be good. The 3D Sonics always had nice music...nope, not this time. Dreary, unimaginitive, unmemorable dreck.

Actually, I take that back. There is one redeemable quality about this game. At least the CG was well-done. I'll give it that. They must've spent more money animated the story sequences than working on the actual 'game' sections. And there's your 1 out of 10, folks.

Only time will tell just where this game will stand among the worst of the worst.

Just btw. This game just might be the first game in the history of GAF that everybody shares the same opinion on. That right there is worth noting. :)

GitarooMan said:
It just still blows my mind that this game sucks so hard. I'm a huge platformer fan, so I desparately wanted this to be even passable (even hoping the PS3 version would be a little improved). I buy a ton of games, and given how few PS3 games there are and my love of platformers, I would buy it if it even had a modicum of goodness, but it really sounds like it is totally broken. Unbelievable.

Yeah. Despite that, Im still a Sonic fan. The Hedgehog's time will come again :D

GamerZero

I was going to pass up Full Auto 2 Battlelines for this Sonic the Hedgehog game... maybe I should buy Full Auto 2 Battlelines instead. What do you think?

GamerZero said:
I was going to pass up Full Auto 2 Battlelines for this Sonic the Hedgehog game... maybe I should buy Full Auto 2 Battlelines instead. What do you think?

Don't buy either.

There are some great games coming up, very soon.

Yama

Anyone try the new downloadable stages? I saw it on the HK PSN store but can'tpurchase, thanks to the latest security update. Is this available for the X360 too?

Yama said:
Anyone try the new downloadable stages? I saw it on the HK PSN store but can'tpurchase, thanks to the latest security update. Is this available for the X360 too?

I 'think' those downloads are exclusive to the PS3, and were also the reason why it was delayed 2 months. =(

I could be wrong, I haven't paid too close attention to this game...

read my posts before I bough the game (thinking that it at the least with would be like the Sonic Adventues)

then read my posts after I bought it (total dismay and shock)

I understand the people who like Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 & who haven't played Sonic 360/PS3 yet & who are thinking that there might be some form of enjoyability to this next gen game.

But when you DO get to play it hands on, that is when the reality sinks in that it is truly bad all around. Not bad as in this level is not as good as in that level, no I mean ALL BAD BAD.

If you think that the Action Stage are any way shape or form as fun as Sonic Adventure 1 or 2, be ready for the shock of a life time... they are not Fun at all, they are outright broken, slow, clunky, frame rate dropping, slow down total, camera killing, collision problematic unplayable game.

There are additional terrible things in the game, but I think it all has been covered in this thread by the people who didn't take the pain too emotionally and who were able to post the reasons exactly why it was bad.

dudley_taunt.gif

Halverson says the PS3 version is much worse than the 360 one....

http://www.playmagazine.com/index.php?fuseaction=SiteMain.showGamePage&Game_ID=451

"When Sega delayed the PS3 version of Sonic it only made sense that they intended on building a better mouse trap: smoothing out the games rough edges and perhaps decreasing the back-breaking load times.

This is not the case.

Sonic the Hedgehog for the PS3 is, in fact, a mess. Plagued by insidious slow down and pop-up both in the city (Soleanna) and the levels to the point that it’s hard to believe, the game is also stripped down visually. Reflections and fine details are gone, textures muddy, and colors blown out"

"once again, Sonic Team and Sony just don’t mix. They were dodgy on PS2 and they’re downright allergic to the PS3. For what it’s worth, Sonic the Hedgehog 360 is awesome, and Sonic Rings is looking amazing. Sonic Team still has it when it comes to Nintendo and Microsoft. My advice is to stay as far away from this one as possible; especially if you’re a Sonic fan. After spending 700.00 on a console this is like a kick in the teeth. This game should be cancelled."

I love how he used a review for a shitty game for an agenda-filled Sony bash fest:lol The man is unique.

Oh, I'm not arguing the merits of one over the other at all; I just find it fascinating that he is. The man has already partially retracted his original 360 review, and seems determined to sweep away the game's issues:

"I’ve received quite a few letters regarding my original Sonic review divided into two camps; Sonic fans who really like/love the game, and those who are the polar opposite. The reason I say original is due to the adjusted score: I was told that my ROMs horrendously long load times were being addressed, but playing through the retail version that’s sadly not the case....Why load 10-15 seconds into a single line of dialogue and then 10-15 out? It wasn’t mentioned in my review because I was told it was indicative of the build I reviewed. It does effect the game enough to shave a point off the score."

http://www.playmagazine.com/index.php?fuseaction=SiteMain.showGamePage&Game_ID=425

He took a whole point off! Review fixed:D

gutter_trash said:
read my posts before I bough the game (thinking that it at the least with would be like the Sonic Adventues)

then read my posts after I bought it (total dismay and shock)

I understand the people who like Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 & who haven't played Sonic 360/PS3 yet & who are thinking that there might be some form of enjoyability to this next gen game.

But when you DO get to play it hands on, that is when the reality sinks in that it is truly bad all around. Not bad as in this level is not as good as in that level, no I mean ALL BAD BAD.

If you think that the Action Stage are any way shape or form as fun as Sonic Adventure 1 or 2, be ready for the shock of a life time... they are not Fun at all, they are outright broken, slow, clunky, frame rate dropping, slow down total, camera killing, collision problematic unplayable game.

There are additional terrible things in the game, but I think it all has been covered in this thread by the people who didn't take the pain too emotionally and who were able to post the reasons exactly why it was bad.

Totally agree, you can find my posts in the beginning of this thread, I was defending this game, I said it was going to be amazing. I played the 360 demo, didn't like it at all but i was convinced that was just a beta version, that the gameplay videos showed a fixed version that we would be getting.

I WAS WRONG. This is a total disaster from top to bottom. Everytime you get used to the crappiness something new comes along that blows your mind, how can that be in the game. I recently tried the mathematician side mission, you know the one on youtube... what in the hell. Then there was this side level with Shadow where you are supposed to blow up cars. You drive down the most uninspired road in the histor of videogames, everything is popping up in front of you, then at some point you blow up the cars but you just keep driving down this empty road, I swear you would think its an unfinished game.

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Oh, I'm not arguing the merits of one over the other at all; I just find it fascinating that he is. The man has already partially retracted his original 360 review, and seems determined to sweep away the game's issues:

"I’ve received quite a few letters regarding my original Sonic review divided into two camps; Sonic fans who really like/love the game, and those who are the polar opposite. The reason I say original is due to the adjusted score: I was told that my ROMs horrendously long load times were being addressed, but playing through the retail version that’s sadly not the case....Why load 10-15 seconds into a single line of dialogue and then 10-15 out? It wasn’t mentioned in my review because I was told it was indicative of the build I reviewed. It does effect the game enough to shave a point off the score."

http://www.playmagazine.com/index.php?fuseaction=SiteMain.showGamePage&Game_ID=425

He took a whole point off! Review fixed:D

LOL, still anything above a 6 for this game is a joke. We can't reward a broken game, no matter how cool the levels look.

gutter_trash said:
wanna know what is sad... I tihnk the 360 demo was better than the final game

It is, actually. I played the demo a fair amount (the version posted to Live, not the one shown at expos), and there's some very specific things that are altered or just _missing_ in the final version of Sonic's Kingdom Valley. Some things off the top of my head:

-The enemy count was more natural. They're a little too flooded-in in the "real" version.
-There was a combo system in place, easily extended by Light Dashing rings. You could milk it for big points, but that was part of the fun. It's still slightly in the final game (you can see it when Sonic hits multiple Rainbow Rings in a sequence), but most of the ways you could trigger it and keep it going were unfortunately disabled.
-Sonic's jumping attack (not the homing, just when you dash outward) had a natural arc in the demo, but in the final it sort of "juts" forward, then drops off quickly. To be honest, this was probably better for platforming, but it doesn't feel as natural.
-Sonic can Light Dash almost all the "lines" of rings in the demo. In the final game, he's restricted to doing the move only with very specific, obvious lines of rings.
-That initial descent down the stone spiral had more "showy" cameras when you hit the dash ramps (and springs, I think). In the final game, it's just a generic descent. Considering it's a wide walkway with no enemies or hazards, it wasn't actually that annoying.
-Light Dashing ring lines sometimes looks very awkward in the final version, where you're "pulled" sideways or something unnatural. The same ring lines I've had it happen with in the final I didn't ever really notice having that problem in the demo.

Ironically, Shadow in the final game controls more like Sonic did in the demo. Most notably, he can Light Dash most ring lines, not just very specific ones. Why they won't let Sonic do this is... beyond me, frankly. Must've caused issues they couldn't be bothered to sort out, but why Shadow can still do it then remains to be answered.

There's also a few things in the trailer that comes with the demo that aren't there in the final version. The one that sticks out the most is Sonic "reorienting" himself naturally to land on spots for when he does the semi-automatic jumps from point to point. Instead of shooting head-on towards a solid object, then suddenly appearing braced at the correct angle, in the trailer he correctly flips around to land more naturally. What's even odder is I think there's one point in the final game that does do it, but only sometimes: Sonic's Wave Ocean. After you skid on the water, take the path furthest to the back. (Easiest way to get up there is to beat the enemy on the rock to get a ring line to appear, or just use the Bound Attack to bounce up.) Grind a bit on the rail, but stop at the archway. Run _up_ it (no, it's not obvious you can), and there'll be an Item Box and a spring. Sometimes when I use this spring, Sonic does the proper flip-around thing. It's the only spot I've noticed it, oddly enough.

...Like I said, played the demo too much. Doesn't mean I'm in love with the final game.

Christopher

:lol Silver's gameplay believe it or not is actually "fun". Haven't gotten around to Shadow yet, but Sonic's load times and chopped up Adventure gameplay just pissed me off so much - Silver is actually playable and interesting :eek:

gutter_trash it's really not THAT bad I'd say if the load times where gone, it would be much much better.

Christopher

Alkaliine said:
Wow. Just wow.

The first few pages of this thread that compare STH to Sonic and the SOTR are just hilarious.

It was mostly due to n-things like yourself derailing it and bashing it before even trying it.

gutter_trash said:
wanna know what is sad... I tihnk the 360 demo was better than the final game

Very true, Kulock covered it very well. For me its the strange exclusion of a combo system. Granted the one in the demo was glitchy, you can basically chain rings forever and get absurd scores but at least there was something in place. It seems that rather than fix the system they just took it out all together. Getting an S-rank is nothing more than finishing the level quickly, in SA2 you had to chain enemies, find all the secret routes, do all the flashy moves, it took some skill.

Christopher

I'll have it finished in two days I'm on Shadow's my review is coming, it'll be good too.

Pud to be honest I'm only eating half of that crow, I actually am enjoying it somewhat.

Christopher said:
I'll have it finished in two days I'm on Shadow's my review is coming, it'll be good too.

Pud to be honest I'm only eating half of that crow, I actually am enjoying it somewhat.

It's not that the game's impossible to beat or enjoy, it's the stupid stuff that gets you. Things that only sometimes work, that you can't rely on working. I've had springs shoot me way off-course, the high speed stages are never consistent since they're so sloppily jury-rigged (For example, I've correctly hit the dash ramp in Kingdom Valley's to do the point-to-point jumps, but it shot me PAST the point where I was supposed to stop, and... that was it, I was screwed. And that's not just a one time fluke, I've had it happen to me at least twice, and I've heard other people complain about the same thing. Hell, there's that corkscrew just at the end of Wave Ocean's: If you don't hang to the middle or left, it WILL throw you off wrong and into a watery grave.)

The game's framework, overuse of "shitty friends" aside, is not horrible; it's just that they didn't polish it into a proper product. The game is simply broken. It is a testament to why games need months of polishing and rebalancing, and what happens when they don't get it just to meet a stupid artificial release date.

wipeout364

I finished SOnic's section and played half of Shadow's. The game is OK. There are a lot of problems with it, busted mechanics, shitty camera, cheap deaths and the ridiculous loading times. I got it for half price and even then I thought about returning it.

That said it has a story that is out there but entertaining in a bizarre way. When things work it can be fun. Basically if you are in the mood for some Sonic then you will find it passable but barely. If you don't give a shit about Sonic stay far away.
Score : Sonic Fan 5.5/10
Anybody else 3/10

i'm a Sonic Fan and i score it a 2/10

i'm harsh on this one because were are in Next Gen now and you have 1999 and 2001 3D Sonic games that are 100 times superior then this 2006 games.

All my hopes now lie with The Secret Ringss on the Wii.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
gutter_trash said:
The 360 Demo is probably the most responsive playable thing on Sonic Next Gen and I thought that the rest of the Action Stages would be playable to a certain extent like the 360 Demo.

Nope, the other Action Stages are far far worse and the level designs + shoddy collisions, + non-sensical physics + frame rate drops = the worst Sonic game ever made

holy shit, the demo was the BEST thing about the game?
You are ****ING Kidding, right?

I'm a HARDCORE Sonic Adv 1 fan, but I couldn't believe that every Sonic game got WORSE with every new release.
I played the Sonic 360 demo for 8 times, everytime I died due to a glitch or sloppy controls.
In the end I could not force myself to finish the demo all the way through :(

Sonic the Hedgehog for the PS3 is, in fact, a mess. Plagued by insidious slow down and pop-up both in the city (Soleanna) and the levels to the point that it’s hard to believe, the game is also stripped down visually. Reflections and fine details are gone, textures muddy, and colors blown out"

lol wow just wow, 2 more months to fix things up & they made it even worse.... and people think the wii game will somehow be good.

goldenpp72

I think that review is lies, because framerate and pop in are huge issues in the 360 version as well.

As well, the demo is indeed the best part of the game.. hell that part of the level is far more annoying in the retail game.

AniHawk

Christopher said:
It was mostly due to n-things like yourself derailing it and bashing it before even trying it.

Sorry, but most people could tell it would be a piece of shit before it was even out. Kinda like Red Steel.

ZeoVGM

Banned
FTWer said:
lol wow just wow, 2 more months to fix things up & they made it even worse.... and people think the wii game will somehow be good.

Do you realize how stupid this quote is?

Yes, people think the Wii game will somehow be good.

It's by a different developer and shockingly, one game being bad doesn't make another game bad!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's not that the game's impossible to beat or enjoy, it's the stupid stuff that gets you.
That's about how I feel. There are things I actually really like about the game and I've had some fun with it...but I've also wanted to snap the disc in half for some poor design choices. Honestly, the loading remains THE one issue that prevents me from playing the game any longer. I can't deal with it. The rest of the issues are scattered throughout the game. For every fun segment you get slammed with something truly bad (snowboading). The game had potential, but they ruined it.

omg rite said:
Do you realize how stupid this quote is?

Yes, people think the Wii game will somehow be good.

It's by a different developer and shockingly, one game being bad doesn't make another game bad!
it's not like lots of us didn't play the demo of the 360 game either. then there's the other thing. one game has been having positive impressions since E3, one hasn't.

WTF is up with Silver's Desert stage!! If you have played it you know what I am talking about, that last part is the biggest turd I have seen in a game. The person who designed that puzzle should be sentenced to eternal damnation where he would be forced to play that **** for all time!

Is it just me or is playing as Blaze better than Sonic. She seems to move faster and she can chain enemies so much quicker than Sonic can.

MiamiWesker said:
Is it just me or is playing as Blaze better than Sonic. She seems to move faster and she can chain enemies so much quicker than Sonic can.

I agree. She's a load of fun for the one stage you play as her.

Oh and the final stage of the entire game is freaking atrocious, it's the worst thing I've ever seen in a platformer and it is the main reason why I broke down and traded the POS in.

Loading times ain't got nothing on this stage.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
PepsimanVsJoe said:
I agree. She's a load of fun for the one stage you play as her.

Oh and the final stage of the entire game is freaking atrocious, it's the worst thing I've ever seen in a platformer and it is the main reason why I broke down and traded the POS in.

Loading times ain't got nothing on this stage.
Are you speaking of the stage you get to play after completing all three stories or the final stage at the end of each character story?

dark10x said:
Are you speaking of the stage you get to play after completing all three stories or the final stage at the end of each character story?

Yes. The one with all of the mini-vortexes trying to suck you in and/or throw random undodgeable crap at you.

Christopher

My review:

Gameplay:

What the Sonic games try to do in this day in age is try to give a vareity of gameplay, this method of giving a different type of gameplay besides the Sonic fare started to date from the time of Sonic 3 / Sonic 3 & Knuckles. However, what has happened now is that it's not just a simple sprite/palette switch with an addition move or gameplay mechanic, but in fact a whole new type of gameplay feeling. This is where many people come to resent the Sonic Adventure series. However, I was always welcomed and open minded to the new gameplay features that were presented with each game.

A quick run down of how each player plays, and the pro's/con's attached with them.

Sonic:
The standard Sonic fare since the inception of Sonic Adventure; spin dash, home attack, and various run boost are what makes up the main gameplay of Sonic. Quick speed, and a thrill of exploration was always a gameplay element that was around since the first game and has been faithfully translated.

However, this game is so unforgiving...for example, if you don't EXACTLY make the turn/movement of where you need to be you'll die. This is what I think will frustrate a lot of new gamers / or gamers who didn't like the Sonic Adventure gameplay to being with.

The controls seem to be taken directly from Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, but with a slight heavy feeling to it. Nothing that a learning curve of an hour tops couldn't be able to handle.

Also Sonic features various "upgrades" that you can buy for him throughout the game, some of these upgrades really are a hit and miss in terms of adding layer to the Sonic gameplay.

Tails
Tails gets the most changes to his gameplay from the Sonic Adventure series. Tails has been slowed down considerably. I'm guessing they did that to show a difference between how he and Sonic control. Overall I wasn't too bothered by it since you only play as Tails for a short peroid of the time.

The "dummy ring" concept was so friggen stupid - honestly. I don't see what was wrong with his tails attack from the old game, but nope, these dummy rings also when shot create a trail of rings on the floor as well. When you get hit and your ring scatter, sometimes it will be hard to actually find your rings to get life.

Knuckles:

Also retaining his exact gameplay from Sonic Adventure, but has been slowed down a bit in terms of speed and agility. Knuckles keeps his "fighting" techniques, and his gliding ability. The only thing that I didn't like about the Knuckles gameplay was the ****ing glitchy feeling of his climbing ability. When you grapple onto walls it almost felt like flypaper trying to free yourself from the hold.

Shadow:
The same Sonic-esque copy like in terms of gameplay online a bit more refined. Shadow plays a lot how I would have like Sonic to play as his gameplay isn't as fast as Sonic, but it gives you plenty of time to catch your mistakes if your going tooo fast.

Also new to Shadow is the combo system when he hits an enemy / bad guy. It's pretty cool actually, and makes just that difference in terms of Sonic and Shadow.

Ugh Ugh ughu ughgugh what I HATED about Shadow was the ****ing vehicles. Come to think about it, if they cut those from his gameplay, easily, he would have controled / had the best gameplay in the game.

Rouge:
The same as Knuckles as we know she was the carbin copy of him in Sonic Adventure 2. The only differencer here is that Rogue has "dummy bombs" that Tails harbors...only it's really not as bad as you'd think. When mixed with her gameplay it actually turned out pretty well...however the same glitchy jump mechanics are present in as well :(. tsc tsc

Omega:
What you saw is still what you get from Sonic Adventure, plays like e102 - except more redined, seems a bit slower, and just isn't that fun to play as. To be honest, you're only Omega for I think an ACT of an level, and that's it. Forgettable.

Silver:
The highlight of the game. Silver's gameplay was amazing IMO - he's truly one of the shining parts about the new game. His "psychokensis" is one of the funnest things in the game. Taking objects/enemies and throwing them to and from each other were really fun, it was pretty fresh in terms of the variety that Sonic Team likes to throw in the game.

For being not the Sonic fare, I really enjoyed this departure from random running - jumping/homing, and moving on. It was just a really cool expereince IMO.

*the only thing I HATED about Silver, and I'm sure you guys can vouch was that puzzle in the desert board involving the pool ball like object. UGH.

Amy:
Standard Amy from Sonic Adventure - with her Hammer Attack, and now she double jumps in the air. You don't spend much time as her at all, so it's not bad.

The thing about it thought is that while it seems many good ideas went into play, it feels a bit unpolished. It's as though they made all these unique kinds of gameplay that don't really take advantage of their indivdual gameplay strengths. I found myself when switching to one of the "amigos" that it just felt a bit unpolished. Nothing that I would find "unplayable" at all, but the learning curve it takes to get use to the side characters is almost as much as Sonic's, but they are hardly an important part of the gameplay.

The level design was also pretty good as well, the only thing that is wrong with the design is the gameplay that is attached to said levels. For example, the game sometimes demands perfection when making a jump or taking a route, and if you even slightly miscalcuate a timed device, your going to find yourself dieing.

The controls are NOT a problem, however there is a learning curve to it as I said. It's not a pick up and play for someone espcially who hasn't played the adventure games.

Now onto the loading times which are goddamn ****ing AWFUL - ugh oh god. This ruins the game bar none - I'm not going to get into. But I will say that they are awful and can make the game downright unplayable at times, however if you can stomach it, and make it throught you will find it enjoyable.

Ugh the town missions were also a pain in the ass, no only to being totally and utterly uncessary, but the loading times involved with them. I understand them wanting to make the hub a bit more interactive, but I think the town missions should have been optional.

Music:

From what I understand the composer who played a large part in Sonic Adventure 1, 2 and Heroes had just a little bit to do with this soundtrack. Overall, it showed, but then again, it didn't. The game's music didn't wow me at first, but after a bit it won me over. One thing that's awesome about this game are the various music compositions, it's different from the old games as there is not much emphasis on the guitar/rock, but instead upbeat quick sounds that reflect the enviornement that your in. I like it, great stuff as always.

Story/Design/Presentation of said Concepts:

When Sonic Team started to make Sonic interact with humans many had an objective standpoint to it. Grasping onto memories of subpar Saturday Morning Cartoons, and almost a univerise created by Sega of America, many still find it hard to swallow. I however got use to it - and as so have adapted to how Sonic is now, not then. However, this game marks the first INTERACTION with the said humans...befor they were props in the background, or fodder for FMV scenes.

Now the humans play a pretty big role in the story, which you either except or don't. If you don't like it, press start to skip the cut scenes. However, I feel as though the concept was actually played out pretty well, and besides the incredible immature people on this board, if you watch the story the kiss isn't as misplaced or 'omg ew gross furries" or whatever the ****.

The story in a nutshell is this: Past Present and Future involving the Flames of Disaster.

A long time ago Elise's father had the flames of disaster at his disposeal with the team of scientists as they wanted to try and make it so that they themselves could control the past, present and future. Most of all they wanted to see Elise's mother. Although when things go wrong and Memplis (the shadow inside the flames) is released along with Iblis everything goes wrong. However Shadow was sent to the past in order to try and find the meaning behind the device that was used to capture Memplis in. The flames were actually sealed in Elise though, with her father instructing her to "not cry"...a metaphor for being strong, but in secret they would actually release the flames.

Silver is from the future and is naive, his future is destoryed because of the release of the flames. He goes back to the present day on an assignement with Blaze to destroy the "Iblis Trigger" aka Sonic.

Sonic's story involves Eggman trying to control and release the flames, but he doesn't know exactly how to only that he wants to control time, and this it involves Elise.

Without all the other details, in the end they come together, past present and future in order to stop the Flames of Disaster.

(btw Sonic essentially IS the Iblis Trigger because he infacts makes Elise cry when he is "killed" by Memplis).

Overall I like when platformer games have stories in them, and this one is no different. It isn't as in depth as some of you make it seem, as I've seen it compared to final fantasy (the ****?). Overall though, the interaction between Elise and Sonic in the first cutscene is cringe worthy, but after that it plays out pretty well. I liked it, meh.

Final thoughts: I felt that though Sonic Team wanted to create a big blockbuster Sonic game in the vein of what Yuji Naka said "If Sonic were real"? They got the graphics, sounds, and cinema's down...they just forgot you know one imporant thing, gameplay.

I felt as though the gameplay was a bit rushed, and needed a gloss of polish. Sadly, that polish is what broke the game for many users, and for myself. The loading time, on top of minor things that are BOUND to piss you off add up...and at the end of the day the game is more of a chore of you the user getting around all the flaws in order to uncover the fun underneath.

My rating: 5.5

*my copy of office just ran out so spelling error and shit are probably plentiful lol

goldenpp72

FootNinja said:
All trolling aside, I am in awe that someone was able to get all 1000 achievements in this game.. Bravo.

It's a rather psychological experience, whenever the game becomes fun something bad has to happen, silver and sonic actually had really compelling games littered with bugs, shitty camera and other things. I can't count how many times I was flung through a spring or sent off a 'automatic' part with no choice but to die. Shadows game is just horrible though, you probably spend like 10 percent of the time on foot, the others playing as him.. in a boat, on a hang glider, in a buggy, on a motor cycle, or playing as omega and rouge. I made tails a semi tolerable char, knuckles the most broken of all, I can NOT get off walls with him 80 percent of the time. What's even more strange is why blaze is such an amazingly GOOD character that outdoes sonic in all ways yet you play as her for 5 minutes, I don't get it.

Can't forget the load times though.

Getting all the medals was tedious, getting all the S Ranks was insanely annoying, not nearly as rewarding as doing so in SA2.

I kinda wanna go back to unleashed and finish it, I just remember getting stumped in eggman lands hotdogs. I can appreciate sonic 2006 SLIGHTLY more because unleashed went and ruined the direction I felt sonic titles needed to head (the direction of 2006), it was like sega didn't realize people hated it because it a was broken, load time ridden mess, not because it had a cooler style, a better story that didn't revolve around food, and a much cooler robotnik.

Peff

goldenpp72 said:
Shitty post, will not read again

Btw, there is DLC for this game now, has anyone tried it?

Wasn't it just a super hard mode :)shivers) and a boss rush? Unless you mean Sonic Unleashed, in which case some packs are pretty awesome and some are decent but hard and somewhat similar to those crazy flash games :D

EDIT: Ouch, of course you couldn't possibly mean that, didn't see the achievements :lol Doesn't look all that enjoyable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JjHg6uBMlk

Top Bottom