• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kojima and Del Toro still plan to work on new project

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I hope this doesn't turn out to be a film collaboration ):

Considering Del Toro's luck with movies, that project would probably die too.

I think third time's the charm. Come on Del Toro, one more try.

Walpurgis

Banned
This was pretty obvious. Del Toro wasn't working on Silent Hills because Konami asked him (not that Konami knows how to do that sort of thing). I am also expecting Norman Reedus to be involved.

A-V-B

It wouldn't be enough money.

Shenmue barely got $6 million.

These guys need top notch money, and I would prefer something high budget as well myself.

Shenmue is a gigantically complex game, and cost 70 million to make.

Silent Hill is not, and did not.

Silent Hill 2 had a budget estimated at 7-10 mil. Silent HIll 3 at 3 mil estimated. Silent Hill downpour also cost about 10 mil.

You could easily fund a huge chunk of a Silent Hill game on Kickstarter as long as it had the right artists on board, especially if it had Kojima, Del Toro, and Reedus. Maybe even parts of Team Silent. That's the fan bases of Metal Gear, Zone of Enders, Silent Hill, Del Toro's movies, and the Walking Dead funding one game.

It gets made. Just a question of if Kojima and Del Toro feel okay about it. That's it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
You can't compare the budget of other Silent Hill games with what Kojima might do. We have no idea what the scope of the game he has in mind would be, and could be potentially bigger than any previous game. It's simply not a fair comparison, at least right now, maybe if we ever see what it's about, you might be right.

A-V-B

You can't compare the budget of other Silent Hill games with what Kojima might do. We have no idea what the scope of the game he has in mind would be, and could be potentially bigger than any previous game. It's simply not a fair comparison, at least right now, maybe if we ever see what it's about, you might be right.

It's just the nature of that kind of game. Hell, it's the nature of the genre across all mediums. Horror isn't as much of a money drain as other genres. And Silent Hill? It's small, claustrophobic, with an emphasis on artistic detail through texture and sound. Even the "open world" sections basically amount to large but passive hub worlds containing no more than a few dozen streets and some back roads -- instead of city-sized GTA universes populated by countless devtime-sucking missions, side quests and NPCs. Downpour tried to go with the furthest with this, and it still cost only 10 million to make. Silent Hill itself is basically the prime example of the limbo between indie and AAA, which is right on the tail end of doable in Kickstarter.

Knowing Kojima and Del Toro, they'd be focusing on very specific gameplay concepts instead of expanding out in a million directions on their first try. And those gameplay concepts would be, at every turn, to boost a singular vision of horror and storytelling.

So if they need tens of millions of dollars to make the game, they're probably already doing it wrong.

But maybe I'm just talking out of my ass and Kojima wants to make an open world MGSV bonanza.

Metzhara

CONSPIRACY:
Kojima has a giant ego and elaborate plans that are as complicated and convoluted as his story lines.
Given that, I believe that Kojima had a plan. His plan was to match the marketing for his latest game to such a degree that it would shake the internet. A game about a hero who is disavowed by his governments to carve out a small alliance all of his own, he got together with Konami to emulate this.
Konami couldn't deny this.
Konami then enacted his mega plan.
They removed Kojiima from the cover of his own game.
They made it look like
There was a falling out. To make it all the more real, they removed Silent Hills
and got Kojima's partners to agree to play along... because the pay off will be epic.
When Metal Gear V comes out, there will be those who stood by Kojima and would choose to not support the latest MGV.
When it is unveiled that Kojima was essentially the embodiment of Big Boss as part of a marketing plan, the fans will go nuts for the meta experience. This will bolster sales for BOTH MGS and Silent Hills.Silent Hills gets a boost just due to the publicity it will get and the ideas that if he was this insane, his ideas in a Silent Hill game must be even more epic.
I honestly believe this is what is happening.
I stand by it because it's Kojima. Anyone else and it sounds crazy. But Kojima.
REDACTED

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
But maybe I'm just talking out of my ass and Kojima wants to make an open world MGSV bonanza.

That's what I'm trying to say, PT was one thing, but they pretty much admitted that it had no relation to what they wanted to do.

Again, you could be right in the long run, or maybe not. I wonder if Kojima would go for realistic graphics again, which would entail either licensing an engine, or making another one, which means they need a bigger budget.

I can see Sony backing this and allowing to come out for PC... I do not have faith in any other publisher to just give Kojima creative free range, other than say Atlus but I doubt they have the money to back said project.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Good - can't wait to see what it is :)

Sony deal confirmed!

leuhkikpzsv4.gif

Top Bottom