• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Drawing-a-Day Thread

Prax

reader response stuff~!
oft_page33_extra_r_by_meibatsu-d90pnqc.jpg

Also a pic based on my cousin's dream that involved our characters!
tumblr_nra4d7IShl1tb3rvdo1_1280.jpg

on and related to the above, these!
tumblr_nra6l5aqan1tb3rvdo1_1280.jpg

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Been crazy busy at work and didn't have time to do anything. Today though things calmed down and I started this:

t2Pt74U.jpg

It took me around 10 minutes before work, plus 30 minutes during the lunch break, 30 minutes after work and almost 2 hours at home. I post it here because this is what I did today, but I will probably finish it up tomorrow and upload it to the Arts&Farts thread and maybe ArtStation...

Hopefully things calm down at work for a while and I can go back to my drawing a day stuff!

das amazing!

my yesterday
11376630_863298557087767_332534302_n.jpg

my today
gUUExib.jpg

Mik2121

Something I started based off a sketch I did some weeks ago:

ZezA7Qh.jpg

This is my first mechanical design that I actually bring into Photoshop and add detail to, which is proving fairly time consuming but enjoyable nonetheless.
I would love to finish it today but will probably end up using part of this coming week.

It's also missing the whole background which I still haven't decided (maybe some floating planets?) and like 99% of the fog and bounce lights that can hopefully make the thing blend in nicer than right now.

Prax

I made some more sketches and stuff on the bus, but I'm sure you'll get tired of that fast, so maybe another day...!
Here's some finished work from this afternoon instead:
~2 hours?
I am running out of poses off the top of my head to do that I can show in a cool angle so.. lol.

I seem to be making a lot of art right now, but that's what usually happens then i burn out and go mia for months so.. I'm trying to enjoy this while I can!

Jhoan

Been feeling the Sunday blues today so what better way to combat it than by drawing not one but two characters (and possibly a third one) without nary a reference save for myself and drawing I saw on Twitter. References do certainly help though but sometimes it's better to just draw and think about that stuff later when polishing it up.

I have no idea what I'm drawing so don't ask but it sure is fun. I may or may not have been inspired by some stuff I saw in the Art & Farts thread as well been thinking about Deus Ex/Adam Jensen. Still adding stuff to it so consider it a WIP until I'm satisfied with it.

@Prax I hear you on that going dark on art stuff every now and then. It's a bit hard to keep that fire going and stay self-motivated without people cheering you on and encouraging more of it. Try not to succumb to your own self-fulfilling prophecy and keep at it. The poses are pretty damn good for not using any references.

Mik2121

i LOVE stuff like this.

What do you use to make these?

Hey, thank you!

It's just Photoshop. I paint mostly with some flat horizontal or vertical brushes to get sharp angles, and also use some Custom Shapes to add noise or details all over the image.
For things like the ground, right now it's just a couple photos, but later on I'll go over it and paint stuff.

Also what I'm trying to do is using the selection tool to select sides of the robot and then paint gradients on it.

I don't always use photos, but for this one I found a photo of a desert I liked so I used it as a base for the background :p

LegendX48

Cross post, kinda: I can't scan this in since I'm away from home (will likely have a proper scanned in version up by Tuesday or Wednesday) but here it is:

Linking to the deviant art page because it's NSFW
http://mrunfortunate.deviantart.com/art/Mia-study-547309687

If it's not allowed I'll remove it.

edit: it took me several hours of on and off work. Didn't really keep track and spent a bit of time tracking down where the pic I was using came from, then finding a pic with the same posed but zoomed out so I could see more of the body.

pixelation

First post in here, this piece took me about 35 minutes. I did it on MS Paint using a regular mouse aided by the zoom feature. It's nothing special but i rarely do digital and i kind of like it (right now, knowing myself i'll start disliking it any minute now).

Another three sketches done today!

This time using mainly reds, around 40 mins each! Doing this is helping me practice A LOT.

i'm really digging the minimal sci fi vibe. i would love to see you tackle a moonbase. what are your PC specs? I'm in the market for a new laptop that can handle multitasking with the adobe suite.

edit: picture for the day. took a couple hours + the time to figure out how to do caustic lighting. no luck bleh, but it was a bit therapeutic, especially the flowers.

ocean_daily_001_by_zobazeta-d92jb18.jpg

full res: http://zobazeta.deviantart.com/art/Ocean-Daily-001-548455580

C.B.

Haven't been able to paint since I had to do overtime with me second job and pencil work commissions over the past three weeks. Did a little bit of warming up before my eventual shackle release

sophcolwesgv.jpg

Not sure how long but within the day. I think I'll work on it a little bit more though.

Prax

Finally got some chunk of time to draw (instead of like.. role-play or chat nonsense haha!):
more_reversed__by_meibatsu-d92vrq8.jpg

3ish hours?

Raide

Massively late to the party. Recently grabbed an Intuos S for my PC and get getting use to how it all works.

Always loved scribbling things since I was young but not that great. Also I seemed to head towards writing instead of drawing but with the new tablet, I want to brush up my skills.

Hoping to add things to the thread as I progress to get everyone's feedback.

Massively late to the party. Recently grabbed an Intuos S for my PC and get getting use to how it all works.

Always loved scribbling things since I was young but not that great. Also I seemed to head towards writing instead of drawing but with the new tablet, I want to brush up my skills.

Hoping to add things to the thread as I progress to get everyone's feedback.

Welcome to the thread! What programs do you think you'll be using?

I draw almost daily, but I find that I don't always create something "complete". Some days, the lines don't come out as straight as others and it makes even practice work feel monotonous. I always want to create things, but I don't really enjoy drawing when i'm constantly hitting the wall of my limitations. Makes me worry about pursuing it as a career if it can be so discouraging.

Raide

Welcome to the thread! What programs do you think you'll be using?

I draw almost daily, but I find that I don't always create something "complete". Some days, the lines don't come out as straight as others and it makes even practice work feel monotonous. I always want to create things, but I don't really enjoy drawing when i'm constantly hitting the wall of my limitations. Makes me worry about pursuing it as a career if it can be so discouraging.

Well, I have been suggested by a friend to start with something like Krita. I have played with Photoshop CS2 over the years but never actually learned it. :D

Just learning to use the tablet seems to be the key thing. Like learning brushes. Its like starting all over again! I will start on the fundamentals and go from there.

Prax

Doing a 3-person art meme where we switch around who sketches, inks, and colours.
Our theme was fave Sailor Scout, I decided to go for Sailor Uranus for my sketch:
For the sake of the person inking, I made the sketch pretty clean! Usually my sketches are a mess hahaha~

I'm also doing a broken telephone art meme with a group of 11 people where we each redraw/reinterpret the previous person's image, but can't post that until we're all done.. so maybe in a month or so I can show that off too!

Capella

I made some progress on my last drawing
I kind of rushed doing the line art so I'm still cleaning it up as I work. I decided to use this drawing to try and experiment and emulate another artist I follow.

I'm pretty sure her nose is not supposed to be that dark but I cannot find a screenshot of my character with good lighting to see if it's right or not.

I also have this sketch I did the other day:

I'm not sure if I'm going to finish this one because I can't tell if her arm is right or not
:/

Kalentan

I spent like ~20 min on it. I like it but also despise it at the same time. It's the product of everything wrong with my art. It shows that I haven't progressed an ounce in the past few years. Still can't draw poses and my style hasn't evolved. :( I know I should try and get past it, but after seeing my art grow through out school only to hit this road block makes me sometimes want to quit art all together. Doesn't help that the worst part for me, is actually able to recreate something. For some reason I have no sense of how to redraw something exactly, so it always comes out different from the first time.

East Lake

You could try starting small. Maybe start with just a nose or eyeball or something instead of the whole head, neck, shoulders. Drawing faces accurately is hard even if you're a good artist. Focus on your hatching and getting basic shapes down without getting frustrated at getting a perfect likeness.

Here's a very simplistic but accurate page you could practice from. http://ricardopontes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/31_plate_I_3_noses.jpg

Notice how everything is broken down into straight lines? It works on just about everything. The rendering of shadow is also simple, but more complex and subtle if you want to go further.

Seeing your guys works is so incredibly inspiring. I used to draw fairly frequently when I started doing animation and things but got scared away from it with all the stories about artists getting a raw deal, so I moved to CS. But my love of drawing/painting has never really left me. I really feel the need to get out my tablet and take a crack at drawing again. It's been so long.

Mik2121

miguel-alonso-blackwhitestudy01.jpg

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/black-white-fantasy-series-01
A color study using mainly black and white (or close enough) with one accent color. About 50 minutes per sketch.
Unlike my other sketches, this one was quite difficult to come up with ideas. I tried to think of environments that are black and white (besides snow...) and not just any environment painted using black and white only. This was definitely the most difficult study until now, but was a lot of fun!

do you make videos when you draw,
this is mesmerizing :)

I actually tried making a drawing of the sketch on the right. However because of the "pressure" of having everything recorded I didn't want to make any random stuff which ended up killing part of my creativity (thinking about it in retrospective).

In this sketch I used a bunch of photos to grab colors, which is one of the methods I use (about one out of every 3 sets started with photos). I made it faster but overall was around 50 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzRcO4JFk3U

I will try to record more of my sketches and whenever I do something I feel more proud of, will post it here!

loved watching the video, Mik, but im a bit lost at that speed because im not familiar with Photoshop. Why did you select portions the drawing throughout?

It looks like i need to do some research about textures and gradients in photoshop.

Mik2121

loved watching the video, Mik, but im a bit lost at that speed because im not familiar with Photoshop. Why did you select portions the drawing throughout?

It looks like i need to do some research about textures and gradients in photoshop.
Yeah I had to speed up the video enough so it wouldn't bore the hell out of people :p
The selections are done because I was using a lot of very soft brushes to set the main colors and without selecting portions all the colors would end up blending together. Also use selection tool to add extra details in some areas with a big soft brush.

I don't use the actual gradient tool and the texture look is using custom shapes. If you search for those keywords plus Sparth, you will find examples of the techniques I tried to imitate.

nib95

Banned
Mik2121, your work is simply incredible (as is so much of the work in this thread). I hope you don't charge too much because I'd love to hire you for some work one day! :p Your use of shape, strokes and colour really help to increase the atmosphere and mood in some of the pieces.

On a side note, Guerrilla Games should also hire you. Your concept work looks in line with their Horizon: Zero Dawn art.

Kalentan

Overall: ~40 min
Just some random sketches.
Another similar drawing to yesterdays but I increased the thickness of the brush. Sort of like it better. But still it's very samey.
Sometimes I wonder if it's my attention span or w/e that causes me to get annoyed. Like I sort of wish I would develop a simple but nice art style that can be pumped out easily but at the same time also put work into it. As much as I draw very manga-like, I wonder if it's not really the art style for me. I watch something like the Justice League and wonder if I should go for something more like that... Problem is, I'm not exactly sure how to start molding my style without being a copy cat.

Sorry if I'm getting a bit soap boxy or what ever it's called. D: Got no one in my group of friends who draws, so got no one else to speak to about stuff like this.

Ken

Haven't drawn in forever but browsing people's art tumblrs more gave me inspiration to try again! I'm still pretty bad at it though (and I generally just want to draw boring animu) but it's a nice way to kill time between doing stuff in FFXIV.

Mik2121

Mik2121, your work is simply incredible (as is so much of the work in this thread). I hope you don't charge too much because I'd love to hire you for some work one day! :p Your use of shape, strokes and colour really help to increase the atmosphere and mood in some of the pieces.

On a side note, Guerrilla Games should also hire you. Your concept work looks in line with their Horizon: Zero Dawn art.

Well now, that's incredibly flattering! But really, still not up there for anything work-related. I'm practicing a lot because I know I still have a lot of things I'm not comfortable drawing, and I want to be able to get rid of some of that pressure, honestly!

As for the GG comment, hahaha! I follow one of their artists over at ArtStation and what he does is out of this world :)))

But really, this kind of comments makes me happy and want to keep improving. Thanks!

Well now, that's incredibly flattering! But really, still not up there for anything work-related. I'm practicing a lot because I know I still have a lot of things I'm not comfortable drawing, and I want to be able to get rid of some of that pressure, honestly!

As for the GG comment, hahaha! I follow one of their artists over at ArtStation and what he does is out of this world :)))

But really, this kind of comments makes me happy and want to keep improving. Thanks!

Mik,
Thanks for posting your video,
It's incredible like the way your mind works and how from pictures or sketches you can
see so far into what you imagine, I can only compare it to that of a chess game,
where you already know all the moves 10 steps before the opponent.

Can you make the videos slower, so we can learn how you use your tools to you advantage, it's amazing since I've never used the selection tool in that way, it's very creative.

BumRush

Something I started based off a sketch I did some weeks ago:

ZezA7Qh.jpg

This is my first mechanical design that I actually bring into Photoshop and add detail to, which is proving fairly time consuming but enjoyable nonetheless.
I would love to finish it today but will probably end up using part of this coming week.

It's also missing the whole background which I still haven't decided (maybe some floating planets?) and like 99% of the fog and bounce lights that can hopefully make the thing blend in nicer than right now.

This is incredible!!

Mik2121

Mik,
Thanks for posting your video,
It's incredible like the way your mind works and how from pictures or sketches you can
see so far into what you imagine, I can only compare it to that of a chess game,
where you already know all the moves 10 steps before the opponent.

Can you make the videos slower, so we can learn how you use your tools to you advantage, it's amazing since I've never used the selection tool in that way, it's very creative.
I will make my videos slower, sorry. It's just that they could become very boring, as I'm still kind of slow and usually try multiple things sometimes before deciding for something.
As for seeing far into what I imagine, to be honest it isn't that much. I got an idea and then as I keep drawing I go with whatever comes up and looks good, hehe!

This is incredible!!
Thanks!

Insertia

11811530_10207598988680721_7747215065985305569_n.jpg

20594_10207598988720722_1167263643188306222_n.jpg

11800208_10207546650572301_5239659948440393446_n.jpg

11225069_10207418605171246_3325210871123898072_n.jpg

11692518_10207417282418178_6273511945291978245_n.jpg

16 minutes each
I have trouble giving my work depth which makes it feel lifeless IMO. I shall try setting a longer time limit.

Top Bottom