• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
LCfiner said:
I love that wallpaper because if you ever forget what phone you’re using, you can just look at the wallpaper and, BAM, back in business.
A man with one iPhone calendar icon knows what day it is; a man with two iPhone calendar icons is never quite sure.

Auron_Kale said:
Seconding this. I was using another freeware app and while it got the job done with Google Talk, it still was pretty clunky to use. Decided to take the plunge with BeejiveIM and I couldn't be happier as it's so worth the $10.

Im+ is really good also.

Jasoco

Banned
I really hope next week's iPod event brings iPod touch's with 16, 32 and 64GB at the same price points. (I'd get a $300 32GB model.) As well as the rumored camera and video capture.

Oh, and the return of Steve Jobs. I hope.

Of course I'll probably be working that day. So I'll have to watch the keynote after work.

Blackhead

Redarse
An Update on iPhone MMS for our Mobility Customers

We know many of our iPhone customers are eager for an update on our rollout schedule for Multimedia Messaging Service (MMS). We’ve been working for the past several months to prepare our systems and network to ensure the best possible experience with MMS when it launches – and that launch date is: September 25 for iPhone 3G and 3GS customers. MMS will be enabled through a software update on that day.
That's the date Apple is releasing iPhone OS 3.1 perhaps?

I feel a little bit sorry for AT&T. Probably because I haven't lived anywhere with major problems in their service coverage :p From the above link:

We know that iPhone users will embrace MMS. The unique capabilities and high usage of the iPhone’s multimedia capabilities required us to work on our network MMS architecture to carry the expected record volumes of MMS traffic and ensure an excellent experience from Day One. We appreciate your patience as we work toward that end.

We’re riding the leading edge of smartphone growth that’s resulted in an explosion of traffic over the AT&T network. Wireless use on our network has grown an average of 350 percent year-over-year for the past two years, and is projected to continue at a rapid pace in 2009 and beyond. The volume of smartphone data traffic the AT&T network is handling is unmatched in the wireless industry. We want you to know that we’re working relentlessly to innovate and invest in our network to anticipate this growth in usage and to stay ahead of the anticipated growth in data demand, new devices and applications for years to come.

We thank you for your business and look forward to keeping you updated on our initiatives.

The NYTimes had an article yesterday on AT&T's problems with the iPhone. They changed the heading though:

DaringFireball said:
The headline is “iPhone Users Love the Device, but Hate Its Slowness”, but where by “slowness” they mean “network”. They charge a premium for crummy service, still don’t offer tethering or MMS, and the problems are getting worse, not better.

Update 3pm: They’ve changed the headline to “Customers Angered as iPhones Overload AT&T”, which is, in a way, more accurate, but to me seems to be casting the blame for the problems on iPhone users rather than AT&T. It’s a pro-AT&T spin on the situation that makes no sense. The only thing iPhone users are doing is using the service for which they pay.

Last week the WSJ asked 'Did AT&T Get a Sour Apple When It Snagged the iPhone?' If so, still their fault:
DaringFireball said:
This type of article drives me nuts. What AT&T got with the iPhone was an incredible opportunity. Just because they’ve blown it doesn’t change that.

The most important news today is that I've found a way to display tooltips on the Phone. It's through a javascript bookmarklet, Paren tips*, that shows all the tooltips on a page in brackets after the mouse over object. I can read the full XKCD on the phone again :D

*Get an iPhone bookmarklet for saving bookmarklets so you don't have to sync from your desktop browser

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I wish whoever is responsible would improve the quality of youtube videos over 3g. It's so bad, I don't use youtube unless I'm over wifi.

So glad that AT&T is going to make their "late summer" deadline for MMS. Last time I looked Sept. 25 was in the Fall. MMS means almost nothing to me though, so not a huge deal. More interested in the details on tethering.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Kung Fu Jedi said:
So glad that AT&T is going to make their "late summer" deadline for MMS. Last time I looked Sept. 25 was in the Fall. MMS means almost nothing to me though, so not a huge deal. More interested in the details on tethering.
MMS is really only nice to have so people with less capable phones can still send me things. I don't think I'll be sending many/any MMS messages, but I certainly do receive them from time to time.

ViewMyMessage.com can go fuck itself!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This is gonna sound silly, but it's been bothering for a few days. Do any of the 3GS owners experience the faintest crackling sound when pressing the home button? after putting on that damn protector I fear that some of the included spray may have made its way beneath the button where it dried out and started creating that sound on the first press (it goes away right after).

I'm neurotic about these things, sorry.

Just came back from the Apple store. I've recommended the Speck Candy Shell in here a few times. They have a bunch of new colors, and I picked up the black/gray "Bat Wing" one. The quality went doooooooown big time. Exchanged it for another one and same cheap issues. I recommend people stay clear of them now.

::goes back to playing with the T-Pain app::

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm thinking of moving off iPhone to iPod Touch. Does anyone know if the data migration works from iPhone to iPod Touch? I've read it at least works the other way - back-up your iPod Touch and restore to iPhone. But how about reverse?

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Chitta I am thinking of going from ITOUCH to iphone.. why are you leaving the iphone? I am just curious.. I may get the pre as well and see which one I want the most. Thanks for any info

RubxQub said:
MMS is really only nice to have so people with less capable phones can still send me things. I don't think I'll be sending many/any MMS messages, but I certainly do receive them from time to time.

ViewMyMessage.com can go fuck itself!
Everybody I know who isn't an iPhone user, which is still a large majority of my friends, send MMS all the time, it is infinitely more user friendly for everybody as a whole

I've been using swirlyMMS for awhile, and my only complaint is that it is on the slow side, but most apps on the Cydia store

GodfatherX said:
Everybody I know who isn't an iPhone user, which is still a large majority of my friends, send MMS all the time, it is infinitely more user friendly for everybody as a whole

I've been using swirlyMMS for awhile, and my only complaint is that it is on the slow side, but most apps on the Cydia store

I'm the exact opposite. Almost no one I know uses MMS. I've probably received 3-4 total in the time that I've owned the iPhone. While I welcome the addition of having the feature, it'll really have almost no impact on my use of the phone.

And most of the people I know don't use iPhones either.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Malleymal said:
Chitta I am thinking of going from ITOUCH to iphone.. why are you leaving the iphone? I am just curious.. I may get the pre as well and see which one I want the most. Thanks for any info

Dreaming having a geekgasm with Linux and multitasking, mainly.

Fusebox said:
I just see the same pic twice. And Comiczeal has a decent one-tap-to-zoom, how much better is this?

Comiczeal is worth it for the rotation inhibitor button alone! I wish the phone itself had that function across all apps!!!

Prez

Are there any decent synth apps for the iPhone now? I'm talking 2 oscillators, LP/BP/HP filters, seperate filter and amp EG and some effects (delay, phaser). I just described Korg DS-10 actually.

So, Nick Cave's new novel got released on the iPhone today. It's an app that you download and it features the text of the novel, the audiobook of the novel - read by Cave - and some music to soundtrack the novel, as well as some arty video stuff. I am being vague because I'm not sure of the exact content, as they think that we should pay £15 for this app. That is more than the Hardback version is available for.

Regardless, you can find it here: http://bit.ly/AE6aA

Blackhead

Redarse
TheWiicast said:
Comiczeal is worth it for the rotation inhibitor button alone! I wish the phone itself had that function across all apps!!!
Ha, there is a jailbreak app for that :p.

Bet you Comiczeal doesn't have an auto rotator though. Comic Reader Mobi flips to landscape when you get to a page that's more of a widescreen shape or bigger than usual (like a double page spread). Saves me the trouble of doing it myself.

Slacker said:

Yes!

Surprisingly better than I expected for an official app. No crazy load times, everything seems to move pretty smooth. Way better than what they tried last year, and yes, in a pinch you could use this to set your starting lineup, but there are some pretty serious caveats:

1. When you are trying to swap out one player for another, it lists EVERYBODY eligible, including players already starting at other positions. This is just foolish design. There's no easy way to visually see who's starting, either; the app focuses too hard on consistent colors when it could really use, say, green for on the lineup, red for off to give an at-a-glance idea.

2. When you're looking at the head-to-head matchup, estimated points are not listed and you have to tap a button to view the other team's stats, instead of just scrubbing to the right as the app has you do on the main page! :lol

3. Each player has a very dangerous "drop" option on their player info page. Really, why is this even there?

4. No way to determine game-day status, as far as I can tell, which kind of rules this out as a use-every-day tool. No player news, either. Maybe that shows up on thursday, but without this kind of info it's too risky to use.

5. Ads. Can I just damn well pay for an add-free version already? I don't mind having free and non-free...just give me the option. Some of the ads are temporary but really damned ugly banners.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Crazymoogle said:
Yes!

Surprisingly better than I expected for an official app. No crazy load times, everything seems to move pretty smooth. Way better than what they tried last year, and yes, in a pinch you could use this to set your starting lineup, but there are some pretty serious caveats:

1. When you are trying to swap out one player for another, it lists EVERYBODY eligible, including players already starting at other positions. This is just foolish design. There's no easy way to visually see who's starting, either; the app focuses too hard on consistent colors when it could really use, say, green for on the lineup, red for off to give an at-a-glance idea.

2. When you're looking at the head-to-head matchup, estimated points are not listed and you have to tap a button to view the other team's stats, instead of just scrubbing to the right as the app has you do on the main page! :lol

3. No way to just browse free agents. Search or nothing.

4. Each player has a very dangerous "drop" option on their player info page. Really, why is this even there?

5. No way to determine game-day status, as far as I can tell, which kind of rules this out as a use-every-day tool. No player news, either. Maybe that shows up on thursday, but without this kind of info it's too risky to use.

5. Ads. Can I just damn well pay for an add-free version already? I don't mind having free and non-free...just give me the option. Some of the ads are temporary but really damned ugly banners.

Bottom of the screen when in your league there is a players link.... click that and it will give you search options for available players and how you want to filter it

Malleymal said:
Bottom of the screen when in your league there is a players link.... click that and it will give you search options for available players and how you want to filter it

Yeah, you're right. I think it's weird that it doesn't show anything by default though. Really no reason why it should stay blank.

Hey guys. On September 20th At&t is rolling out "A-List" which is their version of MyCircle or myFaves. A $60/month plan gets you 5 numbers to call for free anytime or a 90$/month gets 10 numbers on a family talk plan.

This should be enough to get some iPhone users to save some money each month and go down to a lower minutes plan. It doesn't really affect me since I am already on that plan and barely use any minutes (mobile to mobile or texting) so it's a bummer here but I'm sure it's answered prayers for others.

Ravager61

Quick battery life question for you guys.

After letting my phone drain till its dead, I'm getting noticeably worse battery life. After being on standby all night it went from 100% to 84%. I know thats not horrible but it use to still be in the upper 90s after idling all night.

I heard letting the battery drain all the way isnt good for the phone but I couldnt have messed up my battery life that bad by draining once right? Is there anything I can try to fix this?

Ravager61 said:
Quick battery life question for you guys.

After letting my phone drain till its dead, I'm getting noticeably worse battery life. After being on standby all night it went from 100% to 84%. I know thats not horrible but it use to still be in the upper 90s after idling all night.

I heard letting the battery drain all the way isnt good for the phone but I couldnt have messed up my battery life that bad by draining once right? Is there anything I can try to fix this?
You're getting a more accurate reading.

Ravager61

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
You're getting a more accurate reading.

Are you sure that is the case? At this rate, I'm not even getting a 3rd of the supposed 300 hours of standby time it is supposed to have. I know that is just an estimate, but I should be getting better than what I am.

The phone is a 3gs by the way.

jts

...hate me...
Guys guys guys

I want to update to 3.1 ASAP, my iPhone is JB'd, what do I need to know?

Can I just update it with no worries?

How can I save my JB stuff?

mrkgoo

Is it just me or has iTunes 9 (and upgrade to 3.1) just dumped out all my old firmware files? In my trash is are all the iPod touch .ipsw and iPhone .ipsw files, except the latest of both, and the original iPod touch firmware.

RPS37

My phone seems to have been syncing for like an hour. I haven't downloaded any apps from 3G, but I probably have done a bunch through Wi Fi.
It's been at 100% for like 20 minutes. What the hell?Just finish already.

Alright. Who votes I cancel and start over?

mrkgoo

RPS37 said:
My phone seems to have been syncing for like an hour. I haven't downloaded any apps from 3G, but I probably have done a bunch through Wi Fi.
It's been at 100% for like 20 minutes. What the hell?Just finish already.

Alright. Who votes I cancel and start over?

mine was stuck during backup at about 70% for 20 minutes. Eventually it got our of it and now it backsup fast. Is it still at he backup stage? The initial backup after a firmware upgrade is often long.

whatevermort said:
So, Nick Cave's new novel got released on the iPhone today. It's an app that you download and it features the text of the novel, the audiobook of the novel - read by Cave - and some music to soundtrack the novel, as well as some arty video stuff. I am being vague because I'm not sure of the exact content, as they think that we should pay £15 for this app. That is more than the Hardback version is available for.

Regardless, you can find it here: http://bit.ly/AE6aA

If it makes you feel better, the book is motherfucking awesome.

dock

My iPhone has been backing up for about an hour too, and some other people I know too. I don't know why it is taking so long, I guess it is doing a completely fresh backup of the contents.

RPS37

I'm biting the bullet and starting over.
Wish me luck!

Sucess! I restarted everything (itunes, laptop, iphone) and it backed up and synced in like two and a half minutes.

Blackhead

Redarse
jts said:
Guys guys guys

I want to update to 3.1 ASAP, my iPhone is JB'd, what do I need to know?

Can I just update it with no worries?

How can I save my JB stuff?
No, you'll lose your jailbreak if you update without the new Pwn tool. If you go ahead, you should be able to jailbreak again whenever the tool is released (I don't think Apple has made an insurmountably lock yet).

Thread has been slow lately... Has anybody been following First and 20? It posts up iPhone home screens of "the best and brightest designers, developers and tech writers." Lost of interesting choices and explanations there. Here's the most recent post, Shawn Blanc:

Here's mine at the moment:

e5la4j.png

Just Weather, Clock and Calendar at the top. The icons in the dock are springjumps to the other pages (it's how I organize my apps)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Yeah, I thought this new version of iTunes would make syncing faster? It's still the same slow, annoying process it's always been.

At least iTunes seems to run smoother now on my PC. It always chugged, that piece of crap.

Charred Greyface said:
No, you'll lose your jailbreak if you update without the new Pwn tool. If you go ahead, you should be able to jailbreak again whenever the tool is released (I don't think Apple has made an insurmountably lock yet).

Thread has been slow lately... Has anybody been following First and 20? It posts up iPhone home screens of "the best and brightest designers, developers and tech writers." Lost of interesting choices and explanations there. Here's the most recent post, Shawn Blanc:

e5la4j.png

Just Weather, Clock and Calendar at the top. The icons in the dock are springjumps to the other pages (it's how I organize my apps)

What Jailbroken app lets you have 8 icons at the bottom like that?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Anyone with any experience with iRinger? I am trying to port all my iphone stuff to my laptop and I need a way to port over my ringtones.

Blackhead

Redarse
Critical Jeff said:
What Jailbroken app lets you have 8 icons at the bottom like that?
I was using Supreme Prefs 3.0 but i won't recommend it, it's unstable

The developer of 8icon dock said he'll have a new version 'soon' but still haven't seen it released on Cydia yet. You can install this version but it's slightly buggy. I haven't had to restore yet so I'm fine with it. SSH into the phone then install like so...

Here's how it should look with larger icons:
fmrihv.png
nwhsg6.png

(you can readjust which icon is in the foreground.)

Zerodoppler said:
Oh hell yes! The app "Japanese" finally updated to version 2.0. :D
:D I couldn't figure out why I was seeing an update for Japanese until I remembered they had a free day ages ago. Never used though.

neojubei said:
Anyone with any experience with iRinger? I am trying to port all my iphone stuff to my laptop and I need a way to port over my ringtones.
Why don't you just sync it with iTunes?

Reposted for the new page. I'm curious about what y'all have on your 'homepage'
Charred Greyface said:

e5la4j.png

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
Anyone notice that the outgoing call symbol is now placed AFTER the caller info in 3.1, compared to BEFORE in 3.0? I felt that screen changed somehow, but didnt realize how until now. I think it looks a bit cleaner.

Anyone notice any other visual tweaks/changes such as this? Im a sucker for this kind of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom