• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog's new PR person is incredible

Status
Not open for further replies.

soultron

Banned
Okay, what the hell is going on!?

https://twitter.com/DeusEx/status/631186551217737728

2RpsHun.png

They're gonna prep a sweet cross-promo twitter convo.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
If only Sonic's twitter account would interact with Kamiya's. The realm of possibilities

XAMQu6S.jpg

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I had totally forgotten about this thread and the fantastic account it's about.

Browsing some of the tweets, I came upon this:
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/629000258714931201
You make our heart big. Big like buff Knuckles. Big like Sonic '06 load times. Big like Big the Cat.

I feel like getting a used copy of Sonic 2006 now. And actually play it and laugh at how bad it's supposed to be. But seriously, this Twitter account is incredible.

I had totally forgotten about this thread and the fantastic account it's about.

Browsing some of the tweets, I came upon this:
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/629000258714931201

I feel like getting a used copy of Sonic 2006 now. And actually play it and laugh at how bad it's supposed to be. But seriously, this Twitter account is incredible.

I recommend this to everyone. If you are on the fence, buy Sonic 06. Just so you truly know what "awful" is. A lot of people throw around that word but rarely does it actually represent the product. GTA4, MGS4, RE6, etc. are noting compared to Sonic 06

I recommend this to everyone. If you are on the fence, buy Sonic 06. Just so you truly know what "awful" is. A lot of people throw around that word but rarely does it actually represent the product. GTA4, MGS4, RE6, etc. are noting compared to Sonic 06

See, the problem with Sonic 06 is that it's rarely funny ha-ha, unless you've got a big crowd of friends to slog through it with. And even then, it drags. Most of the time it's not chaotically bad, it's just shitty little things that make everything subtly worse. There's long, boring stretches where it can be unclear where to go, and you have to travel big, empty distances, or do the same required event over and over because something misbehaved. Not in a funny way, just something that fucks you over, like weird physics knocking an object you need the wrong way, or Sonic losing his footing just long enough to eat a jump input.

Sonic 06, outside of the cutscenes, is rarely an amazing trainwreck, it's just a bad, underbaked game that slowly makes you hate it the more you play it. (And god forbid you try to S-Rank things and beat all the missions. There's guides now to help get you through them, didn't even have that at the time.)

I feel like King Kai going "No! No! No! No! No!" at this suggestion. You really don't want to even rent that thing, ever.

Trust me, I bought it at full price at the time. These wounds, they will not heal.

Elija2

Why the hell is the Deus Ex Twitter account chatting it up with the Sonic one? That's a crossover I never expected to see.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
See, the problem with Sonic 06 is that it's rarely funny ha-ha, unless you've got a big crowd of friends to slog through it with. And even then, it drags. Most of the time it's not chaotically bad, it's just shitty little things that make everything subtly worse. There's long, boring stretches where it can be unclear where to go, and you have to travel big, empty distances, or do the same required event over and over because something misbehaved. Not in a funny way, just something that fucks you over, like weird physics knocking an object you need the wrong way, or Sonic losing his footing just long enough to eat a jump input.

Sonic 06, outside of the cutscenes, is rarely an amazing trainwreck, it's just a bad, underbaked game that slowly makes you hate it the more you play it. (And god forbid you try to S-Rank things and beat all the missions. There's guides now to help get you through them, didn't even have that at the time.)
This doesn't sound too bad, to be honest. I was expecting far worse from everything I've read.

You make it sound like a flawed game with some potential, something that could kinda be enjoyed if one is able to avoid enough bugs. I wanted a catastrophic disaster :(

I feel like King Kai going "No! No! No! No! No!" at this suggestion. You really don't want to even rent that thing, ever.

Trust me, I bought it at full price at the time. These wounds, they will not heal.
You do realize this only makes me want to play it more, right? Think I'll grab a copy one of these days, if I can.

Get Sonic 06 only if its the 360 version. AVOID THE PS3 VERSION AT ALL COSTS! The game is not perfect, but I liked it and really only had issues with some of Sonics sections. Using the mini side characters are fun. This game is muuuuuuch more bearable then the atrocity of what Shadow the hedgehog was. THATS the game people should avoid.

Wait, RubyEclipse runs this Twitter? I've recently been wondering what happened to him. He was always so sweet, so I was worried when all the stuff was happening at Sega of America.

At least it seems he's enjoying himself. It's definitely a fun Twitter.

Ein Bear

I firmly believe that Sonic 2006 is a rite of passage that anyone with an interest in the medium should be forced to endure. Some of the best gaming memories I have are marathoning that bad boy over a weekend with a friend and a load of beer.

-Ryn

Banned
This doesn't sound too bad, to be honest. I was expecting far worse from everything I've read.

You make it sound like a flawed game with some potential, something that could kinda be enjoyed if one is able to avoid enough bugs. I wanted a catastrophic disaster :(
Oh believe me. It's a disaster.

Even if there were no glitches and the game had perfect loading times the game suuuuucks. If you wanted a good game out of it you would need to essentially rip it apart down to the core and start over.

Both from a story and gameplay standpoint.

Hexa

You do realize this only makes me want to play it more, right? Think I'll grab a copy one of these days, if I can.

You're kind of right imo, but the issue isn't the bugs in the traditional sense of sometimes things glitching. Its like... the entire system is borked. Like even when its working right... its not working right. So it just always feels sort of wrong. I don't know how to describe it. Then on top of that you have a shit load of bugs that screw you over constantly. I think it had potential gameplay wise, but it wasn't just flawed. It was far too deeply flawed to the point of being unsalvageable. Its best they moved on to the boost system which works much better.
I think the story could have been salvaged through some simple changes. Like if they changed Elise to a cat, the story would have gone from down right puke worthy to dumb but bearable and even somewhat decent like the other Sonic games. Sonic games have never really been known for their story lol.

Even if there were no glitches and the game had perfect loading times the game suuuuucks. If you wanted a good game out of it you would need to essentially rip it apart down to the core and start over.

Eh, Sonic 06 is really much better without the load times and glitches. It's still a bad game, but it would just be regular Sonic bad.

Daingurse

Eh, Sonic 06 is really much better without the load times and glitches. It's still a bad game, but it would just be regular Sonic bad.

The problem is you can't separate them from the experience, and they are very detrimental to said experience. I got more enjoyment from Sonic 06 than anyone probably should have, but the game is abysmal. It should have never been released in the state it was. I think it is easily more than Sonic bad.

Back when I had a 360 I got 1000/1000 achievements on Sonic 06. It was beyond terrible. The load times, I did one side mission that was 2:00 of loading for 15 seconds of game, it had to start a load screen for one dialogue box 😰

Anyone thinking of getting it, just remember the haunted looks of those who already have XD

VRMN

There are two video series that are both incredibly time consuming, yet entirely more worthwhile than an actual playthrough.

The first is the legendary SomethingAwful Let's Play; the second a long-form, multi-part video review.

Rather than track down a copy and play through that abomination...I myself only could make it completely through the Sonic story...watch those. In their own ways, marvelously brutal takedowns of one of the worst trainwrecks in the history of our medium.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Get Sonic 06 only if its the 360 version. AVOID THE PS3 VERSION AT ALL COSTS! The game is not perfect, but I liked it and really only had issues with some of Sonics sections. Using the mini side characters are fun. This game is muuuuuuch more bearable then the atrocity of what Shadow the hedgehog was. THATS the game people should avoid.
I don't have a 360, so I'll have to resort to the PS3 version. Why, is it much worse?

I firmly believe that Sonic 2006 is a rite of passage that anyone with an interest in the medium should be forced to endure. Some of the best gaming memories I have are marathoning that bad boy over a weekend with a friend and a load of beer.
I was thinking of playing it with a couple of friends, yeah. Good to know it's a memorable experience!

You're kind of right imo, but the issue isn't the bugs in the traditional sense of sometimes things glitching. Its like... the entire system is borked. Like even when its working right... its not working right. So it just always feels sort of wrong. I don't know how to describe it. Then on top of that you have a shit load of bugs that screw you over constantly. I think it had potential gameplay wise, but it wasn't just flawed. It was far too deeply flawed to the point of being unsalvageable. Its best they moved on to the boost system which works much better.
I think the story could have been salvaged through some simple changes. Like if they changed Elise to a cat, the story would have gone from down right puke worthy to dumb but bearable and even somewhat decent like the other Sonic games. Sonic games have never really been known for their story lol.
This sounds totally weird, I really want to see now how the game feels. Videos on Youtube don't capture that, I can't get an idea of how bad controls are, for example. And even if I've seen how long some loading times are, I still refuse to believe they are all like that, or that they happen so often.

I know it's been rushed and wasn't properly finished, even leaving outtakes as part of the game's dialogue, but still, this is a product that was sold to the public. Though Big Rigs was too, and we all know how bad it was...

Ooccoo

Wait, RubyEclipse runs this Twitter? I've recently been wondering what happened to him. He was always so sweet, so I was worried when all the stuff was happening at Sega of America.

At least it seems he's enjoying himself. It's definitely a fun Twitter.

Wow

i remember him back from the SEGA PSO official forums, wtf

I don't have a 360, so I'll have to resort to the PS3 version. Why, is it much worse?

I was thinking of playing it with a couple of friends, yeah. Good to know it's a memorable experience!

This sounds totally weird, I really want to see now how the game feels. Videos on Youtube don't capture that, I can't get an idea of how bad controls are, for example. And even if I've seen how long some loading times are, I still refuse to believe they are all like that, or that they happen so often.

I know it's been rushed and wasn't properly finished, even leaving outtakes as part of the game's dialogue, but still, this is a product that was sold to the public. Though Big Rigs was too, and we all know how bad it was...

I did the same thing that you did a couple of months back, i.e. play Sonic 06 on the PS3 for the first time to see how bad it is. The loading times are that bad though, make no mistake.

It's more frustrating than bad to be honest; if things worked it'd be fine, but stuff like the classic loops have a 90% of just failing to send you through them. I didn't really suffer with any major 'funny' glitches that made it such a popular Lets Play game either, which was a shame. That being said, I only beat Sonic's story, and did the first few levels of Silver's.

If you want a laugh though, try the two player mode. It runs brilliantly, with a solid frame rate (it feels like 60fps or thereabouts, but coming from the single player Skyrim PS3 feels like 60fps), it strips a lot of the frustrating parts out of the levels, like the mach speed sections, and is overall a, dare I say it, pretty fun experience. And it runs this well because it doesn't use the physics engine. That's literally the only difference; when you break a box it doesn't shatter into a 100 splinters that each have their own physics, it just disappears.

Tenck

I don't think that quite explains it. Is this a fandub of a scene from a fanfiction or something?

It's from a sonic fan fic story. The chaos emerald line was the last line in that fan fic and people use it because it's ridiculous.

The story actually looks like it was deleted, or else I'd link it.

MrBadger

I think Sonic Twitter just sold someone on Sonic 06. Aaron Webber truly is the greatest PR guy

Zubz

Banned
Ha ha "too much water"

Why is that even a meme? I mean, I know it's from IGN's Alpha Sapphire review, so it's fitting that a picture sent to IGN from an Twitter that's pretty meme-heavy would acknowledge it. But that's a genuine gripe some people have with ORAS, man!

Also, can we take this as a stealth Sonic 5 reveal?

(mat)

This is the way to capture an audience. The same type of hip audience that would have gravitated towards Sonic over Mario in the past, are now all on the internet. If the console wars of the past took place in 2015, Sega would have been doing this, taking jabs at Nintendo. Fantastic work. A+

Why is that even a meme? I mean, I know it's from IGN's Alpha Sapphire review, so it's fitting that a picture sent to IGN from an Twitter that's pretty meme-heavy would acknowledge it. But that's a genuine gripe some people have with ORAS, man!

Also, can we take this as a stealth Sonic 5 reveal?

It became a meme because without any context it does sound like a silly thing to mark down a game for. Combine that with pissy gamers who rage at their games getting non-perfect scores and general disdain for games media and you get a shitty joke that spread like wildfire.

It became a meme because without any context it does sound like a silly thing to mark down a game for. Combine that with pissy gamers who rage at their games getting non-perfect scores and general disdain for games media and you get a shitty joke that spread like wildfire.

Spot on.

It's funny, because I remember hearing people complain about how much water was in R/S/E for years, and then it turned into a stupid-ass meme when IGN's review came out.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I think Sonic Twitter just sold someone on Sonic 06. Aaron Webber truly is the greatest PR guy
Hahaha, I just saw this reply. And you aren't wrong, I bought a used copy a few weeks ago. Already finished Sonic's story and played the first few levels of Silver's.

It's bad. It's beyond bad. The little moments of brilliance only make it hurt more. The whole game feels like it's about to break at any second. Physics work however they want to; I can slowly walk around loops, stop while hanging upside down and not fall. I can jump towards a wall, use the homing attack and start walking along it. There's a loading screen for the briefing in each side mission, and afterwards there's another one to get into the playable portion of it. There are three-part side missions with 6 loading screens within. There's a loading screen for the boss introduction cutscene, which never lasts more than 5 seconds (I counted it). Water doesn't even care if I drown, it simply won't react to my character passing through it. I once got Tails to start jumping indefinitely over a dog when he was following me. Sonic glitches like he's having a seizure whenever he stands in the middle of a roof or a curb. Not kidding, I've played a Sonic LCD game with better snowboard physics than this (OK, that one was skateboard, but my point still stands).

Sonic 2006 is a disaster. I didn't know what to expect, but I definitely wasn't expecting this. And I'm absolutely happy for it.

Zubz

Banned
Spot on.

It's funny, because I remember hearing people complain about how much water was in R/S/E for years, and then it turned into a stupid-ass meme when IGN's review came out.

I know. I remember RSE being the least-favorite Pokemon series the longest time (Thanks in no small part to the half-water map), but as soon as we hit the halfway point of Gen V, it was suddenly the golden child of Pokemon gens and everyone demanded a remake. It might have to do with the fact that those who disliked Gen III back then stopped caring about the series whereas now people that grew up with Gen III are active on the Internet.

But I digress. I wonder if anything's going to come out of the cross-promotion they were teasing with the Deus Ex Twitter? I mean, there's some backlash toward the way the new one's taking pre-orders; maybe Ruby backed away from that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom