• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DWARF FORTRESS - For real this time. - This topic is for you (yes YOU)

Make the window bigger by dragging the edges like any other program. At least, if you're using the latest and greatest DF.

Anyways, I'll definitely sign up for a year. I'm medium-high skilled...a lot more high skilled at the low/mid game than I am at the end. I always lost interest around the 100 dwarf mark

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Woo-Fu said:
I think I'm too much of a control freak for a succession game. All I'd do on my turn is rebuild everything the way I thought it should be. :p On top of that, my forts would be boring to most people, as I typically don't lose any dwarfs---except for the occasional baron/baroness who find themselves pulling a lever endlessly in a room that somehow got walled in.

(much more)

What you're describing is fairly similar to my own embark priorities, although I usually don't bother starting cloth production that early, and I also usually don't take breeding animals. I get a little bone at embark from raw turtles, and if I do need more, I can usually either trade for lobster/turtle, or domesticate animals found on the map.

Although for this succession game, I DID take the anvil. I usually don't, but I would have been pissed if this map turned out to be pretty hostile and I had trouble keeping traders safe to trade for one.

Re: succession - obviously you don't have to take a turn if you don't want to. But A) It's only for one year then you pass it along. And B) We could probably use your help. :) It would be entertaining to see you complain about all the shit we fucked up.

Edit: I also already largely follow your stockpile advice. A Seed-only food stockpile by the farm. An unprocessed food only stockpile next to the kitchen/still. Then separate prepared food/drink stockpiles by the dining room. Although I didn't bother with barrel management on that level. I typically just constantly crank out barrels & bins to brute force the issue.

One thing I noticed on your screenshot a couple pages back is that you separate out your furniture stockpiles. All the coffers were together, etc. I don't know if this serves a practical purpose but it's nice aesthetically. I'm going to steal that idea.

mash440 said:
Can I bagsy the next year?

I've been playing for 2 days and don't understand how to do any advanced crafting or military stuff, but I can make you some fine bedrooms!

Yes sir - you can have year 2. I'll just make SirPenguin clean up your mess. Try not to ruin the entire thing - WE'RE TRUSTING YOU.

SirPenguin said:
Anyways, I'll definitely sign up for a year. I'm medium-high skilled...a lot more high skilled at the low/mid game than I am at the end. I always lost interest around the 100 dwarf mark

You're down for year three.

Leam

I'm still trying to get the hang of it, i always end up screwing up my fortress one way or another. Last one had a small incident involving magma.
I'll definetly sign up once i'm a bit more confident.

Oh I'll be fixing mistakes* alright.

*The author of this statement offers no guarantee that his views on what counts as a mistake will match the views of other dwarves in the fortress.

Woo-Fu

Banned
GDJustin said:
One thing I noticed on your screenshot a couple pages back is that you separate out your furniture stockpiles. All the coffers were together, etc. I don't know if this serves a practical purpose but it's nice aesthetically. I'm going to steal that idea.
That was just coincidence, if you're talking about the screenshot with the bridges and the trade depot. That is a furniture stockpile for any furniture other than barrels, bins, buckets, and I think beds. It just happened to have coffers in it because I was furnishing the King's rooms and he loves his coffers.

I never have enough wood to make as many barrels as I want. Typically I end up making a lot of metal barrels once I've got magma production going and some metals I'm not going to use for anything else(any metal other than iron, pig iron, steel, copper and adamantite). Use it for bins sometimes too, but not as often.

...and there is no way you can buy enough animals/meat to keep 5 marksdwarves practicing nonstop. You're talking at least 10,000 bone bolts to get those guys to Legendary.

But sure, I'll take a year I suppose.

I have quite literally 0 time to participate (With the amount of free time I have, I would essentially just be passing the save file I got to the next person prob without touching it :( ).

However, you bet your ass I'll be reading your guys' stories!! Make them awesome and take pics.

In a couple of weeks, or for the next DF succession game, I'll try to take part.

GDJustin

Fightanus Year 1 - Spring/Summer

We arrived in this godforsaken place expecting the worse. A quick glance around assuaged many of our immediate fears. No skeletal giant eagles. No zombie carp. It was quiet. TOO quiet. Or maybe just quiet enough. Time will tell. In fact, the only thing moving seemed to be some Hoary Marmots.

succession4.png

I immediately ordered our woodsman to cut down what sparse trees there were, down the hill to the West. If the rumors were true and these foothills WERE haunted... who knows if we might get another chance to collect more wood.

I simultaneously ordered our miners to strike the earth where they stood... we had all already experienced enough sun for a lifetime, and we were all eager to get back inside some nice cozy tunnels. The mason promptly got to work building a defensive wall.

succession5.png

Top priority? Food. Well... booze. But that's a type of food. Sort of. We mined towards the river, and dug out a farm plot location, as well as room for a kitchen and still.

succ6.png

succ7.png

The construction went smoothly. Floodgates were in place, hooked up to levers thanks to our crack mechanic. The lever on the left opens the river floodate, flooding the room. Lever on the right opens the drainage floodgate. The room drains directly to the outside, which in essence leaves a "back door" into our fortress wide open. I unfortunately lack the engineering prowess to design a more secure drainage system. I don't think the others in my expedition have caught on to this, thank Armok.

Problem. The farm plot drainage tunnel is so long and so horizontal that it isn't very effective. We have been waiting with increasing impatience for the room to fully drain for over a month now. Without a farm, the planters can't plant. Without plants, the brewer can't brew. We have depleted our reserves:

succ9.png

succ10.png

This is especially embarrassing because I (as a fine, upstanding dwarf) understand that dwarven life REVOLVES around alcohol. It is typically the cornerstone of any fortress I foreman. The other dwarves' grumbling is becoming less and less veiled. They are making a point of taking more and more frequent "breaks."

My solution? Simply dig out more of the cavern, to spread the remaining water. Effective, but ultimately a little embarrassing. At least it worked. Finally, we have booze:

succ11.png

succ12.png

Things remain quiet. No animals, hostile or friendly, anywhere that we can s...

succ131.png

succ14.png

Oh, that bold son of a bitch. Who does he think he's stealing from?

succ15.png

His partner nearly got away. Cue benny hill music as we chase him in single file, across the hills:

succ16.png

It was a very, very near thing, but this is one Kobold that won't get to report back our whereabouts.

succ17.png

I spent the remaining weeks of summer digging out proper bedrooms and a proper grand dining hall. The kobolds also taught me a valuable lesson. I've chained our two war dogs by the entrance, and am furiously working on implementing a generous helping of stone-fall traps.

Although, to be frank, without a well-defined entryway, our entire operation feels very exposed. I didn't really think this thing through. With any luck, I'll be able to get out of this godforsaken place by next spring. Then it will be someone else's mess to fix...

GDJustin

TheOneGuy said:
Is there a screenshot button!

Not that I know of. I run a mac which has an ace SS function built into the OS, so I never even think about it :)

Leam

How does having a floodgate exactly works regarding farming? You need to flood the area each set amount of time? All i've done is surface farming so far.

Raggy

Banned
SirPenguin said:
Make the window bigger by dragging the edges like any other program. At least, if you're using the latest and greatest DF.

Nope doesn't work.

I downloaded from the link in OP, think the version says 40d on the end.

I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate.

It starts with this tiny window, well at least on the resolution I'm using. 1680x1050

Leam

Raggy said:
Nope doesn't work.

It starts with this tiny window, well at least on the resolution I'm using. 1680x1050

Dragging works for me, but i'm in vista not win 7. Try changing the window resolution in the init file i guess

GDJustin

Leam said:
How does having a floodgate exactly works regarding farming? You need to flood the area each set amount of time? All i've done is surface farming so far.

If you're digging in soil underground, you won't need to do anything different. Just farm as normal. You only need to introduce a floodgate if you want to use underground stone for farming. Once stone has gotten wet it becomes "mud." Mud can be farmed on. You only need to do this once - you never have to repeat.

You only need a floodgate for this so that you can stop river water from coming into the room, once you're ready to drain it and start farming. They are the easiest way to get stone wet and then dry again.

Uh oh, will it be possible for your save to be passed to a windows machine? Does that work? Otherwise I might have to back out.

If it works though, I've already got some plans for a few years down the line... hehe

GDJustin

I asked on the official forums and they said the system it was played on shouldn't matter. So... we'll see!

mash440

Neo Member
I'm trying to work out irrigation and floodgates. I managed to flood a coridor, but in terms of stopping invaders, it's not really running water, more like running gunge which has little chance of reaching them in time!

1zyy0k9.png

I tested it out, now I just have a corridor that's full of gunge and I can't drain it! I didn't really think this through.

GDJustin

mash440 said:
I'm trying to work out irrigation and floodgates. I managed to flood a coridor, but in terms of stopping invaders, it's not really running water, more like running gunge which has little chance of reaching them in time!

The easiest defense against invaders is to just build a circular mote around your fort entrance, using channels. Then connect the channel to the river and bam... mote. If you start your fort deep enough the channels won't interfere with it. Unfortunately I didn't think about that when starting our succession fort. I've been trying to think of a solution... but to no avail.

Any channel will channel right into the level I have the hallway/farm on, rendering it pointless.

Raggy said:
Nope doesn't work.

Yeah, that's not the newest version. The latest is d16:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=40349.0

The d# series aren't really "official" updates. Instead, each one has some changes on the backend to make things faster or better. They are largely done by a couple member of the community. The biggest difference is you get the ability to zoom, resize the window, and there's a decent speed increase

GDJustin said:
Oh god, the stories. THIS is what makes DF, well... DF. If you wanna know what hooked me on Dwarf Fortress, read SomethingAwful's "Let's Play..." topic, where they cooperatively worked on the Boatmurdered fortress:

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Boatmurdered/
I just read through the whole damn thing and that was one of the most hilarious things I have read. :lol

My favorite part:
Successive ballista shots manage to kill another elephant, but then disaster strikes when a dwarf wanders in and gets killed by an elephant. All the other dwarves, seeing opportunity for new capitalistic riches, begin to rush towards the body to grab his valuable equipment. Remembering the stories I heard about my predecessor, I hurridly order the outer door to be locked.

But the door is stuck open! Sabotage! That Elephant sympathizer! That traitor! That Quisling! That....

... Monarch butterfly?

Aparently, showing incredible coordination, a monarch butterfly flew into the door workings just before the time of the attack and jammed it open. With all the bodies and items left by the elephants, no one is doing such a low priority task as cleaning up bug remains.

Raggy

Banned
SirPenguin said:
Yeah, that's not the newest version. The latest is d16:

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=40349.0

The d# series aren't really "official" updates. Instead, each one has some changes on the backend to make things faster or better. They are largely done by a couple member of the community. The biggest difference is you get the ability to zoom, resize the window, and there's a decent speed increase

Thanks, I'll try that one then.

GDJustin

Fightanus Year 1 - Fall/Winter

The remainder of the year was largely uneventful.

The dwarven traders came. I didn't have much to give them, but I did manage to trade some shitty stone crafts for food and booze. Stupid neighbors.

succ21.png

succ22.png

A pack of dark gnomes showed up - I knew their proclivity for stealing alcohol and alcohol-related plants and grew mildly concerned, but apparently objects such as "doors" are too much for them to surmount. They basically just skittered around, topside.

succ23.png

Another Kobold thief showed up as well. Wardogs promptly knocked him unconscious, while at which point my military continued to work him over. We left his corpse just outside the front door to serve as a warning for others.

succ24.png

...and that's basically it!

succ25.png

I very intentionally did "less" with my first year than I would in a fort of my own. For one, I was following a self-imposed rule that any stone I create, I deal with. As a courtesy to future players. So I didn't do too much digging, and had two masons and two craftdwarfs cranking out stone objects 24/7.

We got 8 migrants, bringing our total population to 15. They all have bedrooms and there's a large dining area. Underneath the bedrooms is the beginning of an office complex. The only one dug out so far is for our expedition leader.

Suggestions for the next ruler(s)

- More bedrooms are going to need to be dug. I've designated them, but feel free to delete that and follow your own design if you like.
- I planted some pig tails but don't yet have a cloth industry. Consider building a farmer's workshop, loom, clothier, dye shop.
- We have no military and no real defenses to speak of, besides some traps. Next immigrants, maybe militarize them. I built a barracks so they should spar on their own.
- There IS a magma pipe on this map... it just doesn't reach to the surface. So some exploratory mining on the bottom Z-level might be in order.

- I started construction on a giant... something. Aboveground. It was mainly to use up the stone blocks my masons are making. In all honesty this looks like my might be a fairly quiet fort (I just noticed goblins aren't even on the civ screen), so we might have to make our fun by doing something crazy like some max Z-level tower, with the top floor expanding to cover the entire map (ie a sun-blotter). Or something.

succ26.png

I will now pass along my save to Mash440 (Armok help us).

If you don't see gobbos on your civ screen it may be that you haven't met them yet.

Abandon the fort and check out the world again. Go near your fortress site and see what civs can reach it (I think you get to that screen via tab)

GDJustin

Ah yeah. That's a good point. We've had no goblin snatchers, so there's hope for this fortress to get bloody yet :D

To be honest I'm not super pleased with my performance in year 1. I'm upset with myself for beginning construction on the first Z-level below ground, making a full 360-degree mote very difficult. If you channel on the top level, you're channeling right into the central hallway.

I suppose you could use channeling to direct water to the level below where the farm plots are currently located. Then move the entire farming/kitchen operation to that level.

Or make the more so big that it encompasses all the construction I did on that first Z-level. That's probably the easiest/smartest solution.

Or screw a moat, and build a castle structure with walls 2 blocks thing, and room to stand behind fortifications, and siege engines and shit. Don't beat yourself up so much about the moat situation, there's other defensive options, they're just a bit more work.

Leunam

If you want a real adventure, you'd dig and dig until you found adamantine and then proceeded to mine it all out...

Can't find the blog that ended with that anymore. It was a really fun read.

Woo-Fu

Banned
And then your 5 legendary marksdwarves kill everything that comes out of that pit. Very little excitement to be had unless you screw up. :p

Woo-Fu said:
And then your 5 legendary marksdwarves kill everything that comes out of that pit. Very little excitement to be had unless you screw up. :p

All depends on what pops out. The fiery variety have ranged attacks of their own

ixix

Exists in a perpetual state of Quantum Crotch Uncertainty.
In the event that the fortress survives that long I'll take a turn at the succession game. I've played a shitload of Dwarf Fortress, but I usually stick to a few basic building schemes, so maybe it's time I get out of my fortress comfort zone.

ixix said:
In the event that the fortress survives that long I'll take a turn at the succession game. I've played a shitload of Dwarf Fortress, but I usually stick to a few basic building schemes, so maybe it's time I get out of my fortress comfort zone.

I've never successfully got a cloth (or glass actually) industry going, so Justin is already forcing me out of mine.

GDJustin

ixix said:

Added you to the list. And I know exactly what you mean. Every fort I start, I TRY to do different stuff, and they start out a little bit different, but somehow little by little they all become same-y the more I play. It's pretty weird, since literally every step of the fortress is designed by me... so you'd think I would KNOW I was doing the same shit. But I'll load one up after several hours and it will just dawn on me that it's pretty identical to all my others :lol

I've sent my savegame to Mash440 but I wanna keep this game cruising along, so if we don't hear from him within the next day or two we'll skip him and plat can have year2. If Mash turns up later we would then put him back in rotation.

FYI Plat - A cloth production setup is really easy. Pig Tails ---> Farmer's workshop turns them into thread. Thread ---> Loom turns it into cloth. The Farmer's workshop requiers Thresher skill. Loom requires weaving.

Then a clothier assembles the finished product.

Glass is more complex, but mostly because it REQUIRES sand, which many forts don't have (and it can't be traded for). And bags to gather said sand.

Hey, don't forget me! I think I'm up for year 3, so if he doesn't respond I'll definitely take on a year. I can do it pretty quickly

mash440

Neo Member
Do you know when your manager get's replaced by some really spiteful guy who has no clue what he is doing!?

I'm that guy!

2rw87py.png

We had some theives again! These ones got away, we need to hire a profit improvement manager or some big guy with shades.

kbzpqw.png

And work has started on a second lot of bedrooms to mirror the first. The idea is to allocate rooms by force alphabetically in reverse. That way all the guys who normally get to go first get the rubbish rooms RIGHT UNDER the workshops.

I have henceforth issued a member for all masons to turn it up to XI. If I had any idea about how iron worked I might attempt to crack a joke about heavy metal...

Woo-Fu

Banned
SirPenguin said:
All depends on what pops out. The fiery variety have ranged attacks of their own

Those attacks won't go through fortifications. I just set up a bit of a maze with fortification end caps and chain up critters in the maze, soon as the enemy attacks it drops their stealth and the marksdwarves kill them.

Funny thing happened last time I did this. I got toad demons---which are the easiest---but my marksdwarves were bugged so that they wouldn't pick up bolts. I hadn't noticed they were bugged after I swapped them to hammer training for awhile, then back to crossbows for the opening. They were legendary marks/legendary hammer in full steel armor with masterpiece steel crossbows.

Two of the dwarfs, using their crossbows as hammers killed every one of them...without getting so much as scratched. All that weight training on the screwpumps paid off. Just look at 144.

nppe85.jpg

205g8n.jpg

Mobius 1

I've two legendary Miners, so proficient at cutting rock that they can carve you a fortress worthy of Moria fame before you can say "hoary marmot".

But the side effect is stone everywhere...
DF_playing01.png

Mobius 1

The_Technomancer said:
Is there anyway to get rid of/use up all the stone you find everywhere?

Yes... there are a few methods. In this case I decided to dump them all into a magma channel, which effectively melts all the stone into oblivion.

You could also just build a Mason's workshop and let him build blocks out of it all. There are some other esoteric methods at the DF Wiki... people never fail to surprise me with the solutions they find for the issues in their fortresses.:D

GDJustin

The_Technomancer said:

The easiest way is to designate magma or chasm as a dump point, then label all the stone you don't want as trash.

The most practical way is to get a mason army and make blocks out of it all, then build with said blocks.

The most dwarf fortressy way is to make a dwarven atom smasher with a drawbridge (look it up on the DF wiki).

The_Technomancer said:

The above solutions are great, but if you're looking for a quick and dirty method, hit "d", then "b" then "h" to mass hide objects on the ground. This way the stone exists...but you can't see it. You can still use it

Thanks for the offer GD, but I just have too much on the table at the moment (Including my own DF fort, "Deepdirt", to look after) to get involved in something like a succession game right now. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread though, and if I get some of the other stuff I'm working on finished, I'll throw my hat in the ring then. :D
To those of you who are newish to DF and giving Fightanus a try though, if you feel stumped about how to proceed, feel free to ask. I'm sure one of us who are more experienced with the game will be happy to answer your questions about almost anything to do with Dwarfly life under the earth.

mash440

Neo Member
op5lxz.png

My favourite engraver went crazy. Not sure why, maybe he ate a funny mushroom.

2zt99g0.png

First he went around the workshops mental! Killed two of my shorties before running downstairs the bedrooms.

jic854.png

Where he killed a farmer and then bled to death on the floor. I ordered a mason to engrave the wall where he fell!

2q2jpjd.png

Yet in this economically depraved time, some bloodsucking migrants came to fill his post! I bet they put the vacancy right next to the obituary in the dwarfish newspapers!

r7it00.png

Magma was found!

1h9qmh.png

After excavating half of the blummin map! Roll on the winter where i get my newly recruited army to rip each others clothes off!

Top Bottom