• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 5 Coverage! (expect spoilers)

All about the little things. :)

102922-gotta-enjoy-the-little-things-DkfC.gif

MacBosse

Well I am officially on the hype train.

Warzone looks excellent. Campaign is starting to shape up (I was really let down by the E3 showing). And boy oh boy is 60 fps looking freakin' hot.

jelly

I hope there is an ignore revive button or revert to checkpoint menu option like always if your waiting for a team mate to get to you and they take ages or die slowly themselves.

Will be interesting to see how they manage on harder difficulties. I can imagine last ditch efforts to revive you being fun but can see them getting obliterated quite easily unless the AI zones out while they help you.

Damn, that hunter gif is amazing.

I hope there is an ignore revive button or revert to checkpoint menu option like always if your waiting for a team mate to get to you and they take ages or die slowly themselves.

Will be interesting to see how they manage on harder difficulties. I can imagine last ditch efforts to revive you being fun but can see them getting obliterated quite easily unless the AI zones out while they help you.

Maybe you cant be revived on Legendary? or only once? That would make it a lot harder

Asfaik if you are obliterated, I.e. Nuked by explosions or whatnot, you outright die. I think...

Madness

Maybe you cant be revived on Legendary? or only once? That would make it a lot harder

I just hope AI isn't useless on legendary, sort of like Gears AI on insane which is always downed so quick. Josh said they'd be helpful while still maintaining that difficulty, so who knows. I think Heroic will be the sweet spot for me in my advancing age. No longer the 14 year old with perfect eyesight and fast reflexes playing CE after school.

I don't even mind if the game is easier or that the difficulties aren't as bad as they were. It's a new style of game, plus there are always skulls to make the game as hard as you need. Just add a few LASO or Mythic achievements and tie some wicked armor to it and the legendary folks will be content trying to go for those ones.

I just hope AI isn't useless on legendary, sort of like Gears AI on insane which is always downed so quick. Josh said they'd be helpful while still maintaining that difficulty, so who knows. I think Heroic will be the sweet spot for me in my advancing age. No longer the 14 year old with perfect eyesight and fast reflexes playing CE after school.

I don't even mind if the game is easier or that the difficulties aren't as bad as they were. It's a new style of game, plus there are always skulls to make the game as hard as you need. Just add a few LASO or Mythic achievements and tie some wicked armor to it and the legendary folks will be content trying to go for those ones.
Yeah Heroic is always the best difficulty to play Halo, challenging but also very fair. Legendary in all games but 4 are just difficult and not in a particularly good way.

I wonder, how exactly does revive work should you become incapacitated while behind the wheel of a warthog or while manning a gun on a warthog? Do you simply just fall out of the vehicle till you're revived?

Trup1aya

Asfaik if you are obliterated, I.e. Nuked by explosions or whatnot, you outright die. I think...

This is how it was explained to work, but in this weeks footage, we saw someone get revived after being caught in a plasma grenade blast, and after getting hit with a plasma sword, both of which I previously understood would kill you outright...

Now it seems falling deaths, being stuck by plasma, and death by splinter grenade are the only hold outs... Now I'm hoping that there is no reviving in Legendary, or there's a skull to turn it off...

Yeah Heroic is always the best difficulty to play Halo, challenging but also very fair. Legendary in all games but 4 are just difficult and not in a particularly good way.

Legendary feels like you are actually playing the story that's being told... Out numbered and out gunned, all you've got is your wits to overcome impossible odds... Nothing greater than the feeling of clearing a room in Legendary when you started the battle with way to little ammunition in your shitty guns...

Yeah some sections were overkill, but Legendary has always felt like the way to go for me...

Frog-fu

Banned
I'm loving the look of the Covenant in Halo 5, but I gotta ask, what happened to the Yanme'e? They were annoying buggers but I would've loved to see them make a return.

Hell I'd love to see some Huragok in the mainline games. That'd be cool.

btw, I can't get over how fucking awesome the Jackals sound.

solis74

Awesome :)

It is a major step up. The complexity of the geometry by itself is on a whole other level, and that's pretty damn obvious from some of the footage we have available already. Halo 4, as impressive as it still is, in its best moments still doesn't manage to come anywhere close to what we've seen from Halo 5 thus far. Halo 4 at best only has the illusion of being anywhere near Halo 5 due to an obviously very strong, and quite similar, art style.

What was pulled off mostly through smoke and mirrors in Halo 4, largely seems to become an actual reality with Halo 5. The lighting on display in Halo 5 puts Halo 4's to shame. Then there are the effects, which in terms of their quality and the sheer amount of them, also easily leaves Halo 4 in the rearview. They've gone ahead and achieved this impressive a visual look with playspaces that are so much larger and more complex, with so much more freedom and options at the player's disposal the likes of which the Halo franchise has never seen. That fact alone should greatly undermine any remotely serious attempt at a comparison to Halo 4. The kinds of things 343i achieved with this game are things in which they would've been easily forgiven for going down to 30fps, but they still aimed for 60fps, and they absolutely nailed it from the looks of things.

Agree.

That gif of the elite shows their A.I. has improved too, looks awesome. I think i should not be afraid the A.I. is gonna be disappointing. Especially with that elite and the hunter throwing that box when the player used the rocket launcher. Unless the hunter just mashed the box out of his way, which was their behavior in previous Halo games i believe. But it doesn't look like that.

It's funny, I think the Hunters in H5G most closely match their depictions in the novels. For balance reasons they've always kind of lumbered around with slow-moving weapons and iteratively covered up weak points with every new game, but the way they're so aggressive and so alien on top of being upgraded to lightning bruisers is pretty amazing. They also seem to exhibit more cooperation beyond berserking - it actually feels like they care about one another (like in the crate .gif).

Fun fact: Hunters in CE could rapid-fire their fuel rod guns as revealed by dev-commands, they were just never programmed to make use of it.

OEM

Forge is improved significantly and we'll talk about it more, closer to the game's launch.

You guys should create a Halo Forge app on all devices (W10, iOS, Android). Create your own levels from where ever you want. Then upload them. True evolution of Forge imo.

You guys should create a Halo Forge app on all devices (W10, iOS, Android). Create your own levels from where ever you want. Then upload them. True evolution of Forge imo.

I feel like there's not much point on touch-only devices (since you really wouldn't get any advantage over the controller). A full PC app, though... that would be something. Build it on PC, import it to the console for testing, tweak to your heart's content.

Euron

I'm so torn between this and Battlefront as my big holiday shooter. On one hand, Halo Campaigns are my most replayed single player experiences of all time. On the other hand, none of my friends either have Xbones or want to buy another Halo game so I can't play co-op without split screen. Oh and I'd have to pay for XBL again.

I'll wait a few days to a week for impressions. It looks like it could actually be the biggest Halo Campaign yet. Plus I have significantly more faith in this than Battlefront.

Trup1aya

I'm so torn between this and Battlefront as my big holiday shooter. On one hand, Halo Campaigns are my most replayed single player experiences of all time. On the other hand, none of my friends either have Xbones or want to buy another Halo game so I can't play co-op without split screen. Oh and I'd have to pay for XBL again.

I'll wait a few days to a week for impressions. It looks like it could actually be the biggest Halo Campaign yet. Plus I have significantly more faith in this than Battlefront.

I know friends are important, but from what I've seen, H5 just looks to be a better game... This recent footage has knocked battlefield completely off my radar..

Make some new friends! :)

krang

Get new friends.

Can you play as a female Spartan in multiplayer?

I notice some of the Spartan chatter has female voices, but that would only make sense if there were women on the field

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

You can save last checkpoint at any time. So you could quit and resume but I have never once done it, there's always the hope that they'll get there in time even though you're stuck between two angry hunters...

You can always play with gaf fellas and make new friends.

Legendary feels like you are actually playing the story that's being told... Out numbered and out gunned, all you've got is your wits to overcome impossible odds... Nothing greater than the feeling of clearing a room in Legendary when you started the battle with way to little ammunition in your shitty guns...

Yeah some sections were overkill, but Legendary has always felt like the way to go for me...

You mean the entirety of Halo 2 and the whole second half of CE? And in the fiction Spartans make short work of most Covenant enemies that are not Elites and Hunters like in easy mode.

I've never been one to let friends ruin my enjoyment, because when it comes to your own personal satisfaction, it isn't about what your friends want. It's what you want.

Akai__

You can save last checkpoint at any time. So you could quit and resume but I have never once done it, there's always the hope that they'll get there in time even though you're stuck between two angry hunters...

Since it's drop in drop out online co-op that means progress will be saved for both people? Or will I see a completely different checkpoint, if I'm not hosting?

Also, anything on todays trailer? Is it a European friendly time? :p

On a scale of 1 to 10, how many pants should I have prepared for tonight's trailer?

Since it's drop in drop out online co-op that means progress will be saved for both people? Or will I see a completely different checkpoint, if I'm not hosting?

Also, anything on todays trailer? Is it a European friendly time? :p

Trailer will hit between 9pm and 11pm EST unless they upload it before Sunday Night Football.

Euron

I know friends are important, but from what I've seen, H5 just looks to be a better game... This recent footage has knocked battlefield completely off my radar..

Make some new friends! :)

Get new friends.

You can always play with gaf fellas and make new friends.
HAHAHA yeah I'll probably request to co-op with some Gaffers down the line if I end up getting it (comes out during a busy week for me anyway so I'll be waiting regardless)

I've never been one to let friends ruin my enjoyment, because when it comes to your own personal satisfaction, it isn't about what your friends want. It's what you want.
It's not that I'm letting them ruin my enjoyment, if the campaign's awesome I'm buying the game regardless of whether or not I have anybody to co-op with. It's just that this factor combined with the heavy focus on co-op keeps it from being an instant purchase for me (along with the lack of big team)

And will the game come with an XBL free trial? Halo 4 came with a 2 week for me but that might have just been the Limited Edition. Oh and is there co-op matchmaking like Reach?

Top Bottom