• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC Champion Jon Jones suspect in felony hit-and-run. Update: stripped of title

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure if we've learned anything the past year is that there's a lot more to this than just Jones trying to play a wrestling heel.

I agree, but I bet with the money he gets for fighting, there's a tremendous amount of pressure and incentive for him to play up that heel.

Again, I'm in the camp of thinking he's still a decent dude stuck in a certain non-beneficial lifestyle.

Stripped of title, then I'm sure marketed for a "redemption" story and another title shot or the opposite as a "bad guy" trying to take the title from the "good guy" champion.

I mean I'm not complaining about them stripping the title, although a conviction would have been nice, I just can see how UFC are going to use this as a massive win for the promotion.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
His wife is a freaking saint having to deal with his endless bullshit while at the same time handling 4 kids.

Not sure if this is a joke post or not, but:

They're not married.
Three kids.
They've been engaged for only 2-3 years IIRC.

I'm sure she enjoys the perks of playing the "good wife" for Jones' public image. But their entire relationship just screams "we hooked up one night at college, fucked up, got pregnant, decided to do the 'good Christian thing' and keep it, and it's destroyed our abilities to live a normal life. But it's a living."

And here's fellow UFC fighter Derek Brunson with an important life lesson for you:

qAJJMlV.png

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
And he gets off with a slap on the wrist. Shocked.
http://mmajunkie.com/2015/09/ex-ufc...ail-time-gets-probation-following-hit-and-run

Jon Jones today pled guilty to one felony charge of leaving the scene of an accident involving injury, but he avoided jail time when a judge granted him a conditional discharge.

“Mr. Jones, you got real lucky, and in a number of ways, I think you need to talk to young people because making one stupid decision changes your entire future,” Judge Charles Brown of the Second Judicial District Court said today during the former UFC light-heavyweight champion’s hearing.

Jones, 28, was given up to 18 months supervised probation and will be required to make 72 speaking appearances. Under the terms of his plea agreement, he will avoid a felony conviction as long as he finishes probation and completes the speaking engagements without incident, and his probation could be ended earlier than 18 months if the court so decides.

If only most got off after having a previous DUI, having a car filled with weed, hit a pregnant woman and flee.

zychi

Banned
It's all about who you know, and/or how much money you have. Better learn it now folks, as it applies to us all lol

Yep, my buddy got a DUI after he was pulled over for missing license plate lights. Cops smelled alcohol on him, he cooperated blew a .11, had to plead guilty, lost his license for a year, and was on probation for 5 years.

Jon got away with 3 felonies on this. Its ridiculous how not blowing, fleeing the scene actually HELPS your cause. Insane

Spladam

And he gets off with a slap on the wrist. Shocked.
http://mmajunkie.com/2015/09/ex-ufc...ail-time-gets-probation-following-hit-and-run

If only most got off after having a previous DUI, having a car filled with weed, hit a pregnant woman and flee.

If you're going to drive high on drugs, just make sure you're famous so you can leverage "speaking engagements" to get out of real trouble. Just know, if you're just a regular person with a previous DUI, and you hit a pregnant woman and flee the scene, you're going to jail for a while.

Remf

You don't have to have to be famous to get off, you just need a lot of money for a good defense attorney. #Merica

Calderc

It is a pretty shockingly lenient sentence, but I can kinda see the merit in having someone like him (famous, successful, supposed role model etc.) doing speaking engagements. Rowdy youngsters will listen to him more than some dude from the Post Office who done the same thing.

VoxPop

I for one am glad he will be back. He's an idiot but there are little to no real athletes in the UFC. They need everyone they can get. It would have a been huge waste of his talent if he was locked up over some stupid shit like a hit and run. The baby is fine and the lady got paid well anyway. Look forward to him making Cormier his bitch again.

Booshka

Yep, that's the pro-tip for DUI douchebaggery. Get in an accident, run away, then turn yourself in sober, somber and with a great lawyer. Plead the, "I was scared, I'm so sorry, never again" defense.

If you are in a privileged position, you just might get away with it.

Tapiozona

Banned
Yep, that's the pro-tip for DUI douchebaggery. Get in an accident, run away, then turn yourself in sober, somber and with a great lawyer. Plead the, "I was scared, I'm so sorry, never again" defense.

If you are in a privileged position, you just might get away with it.

Actually anyone who does that would likely have gotten off as well. They have to prove you were intoxicated, not just assume you were.
I had a minority coworker, who was a waiter, also beat a dui/hit and run by running away and claiming something similar. He had a budget lawyer which cost him a few thousand dollars.

I had yet another friend who crashed her car into someone's house while piss drunk. After the accident she opened the car door and literally passed out on their lawn 5 feet away...
Ya, she heat the charges because they couldn't place her behind the wheel. She did spend 10k on a lawyer but as she was in med school it was money well spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom