• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 09/29/15

Shaanyboi

Banned
couldn't have tuned out harder during the Destiny talk. It's never been my favorite part (unless it's about Jeff recounting the fucking weird way they were building expecations for it pre-release), but I could stand it before. This time it was just white noise. Can't believe they've been talking about this mediocre game for a year.

Owensboro

couldn't have tuned out harder during the Destiny talk. It's never been my favorite part (unless it's about Jeff recounting the fucking weird way they were building expecations for it pre-release), but I could stand it before. This time it was just white noise. Can't believe they've been talking about this mediocre game for a year.

Probably because it was a game with a ton of promise that under-delivered and still managed to completely absorb one person, but has gotten better and better with each DLC. Now that it's actually reached "good game" status, there's less rant material for Jeff = not as hilarious to listen to.

It's a good game now, though.

Good Bombcast. Loved the talk of VGCE, old gaming media was bonkers and it was amazing.

LiK

Bombcast talks about Destiny. People complain they talk about Destiny. Yes, you guys hate it, we get it. Just fast forward. Plenty of people still play Destiny and like listening to their thoughts about it.

Alucrid

Banned
"I hope it's amazing." - Jeff talking about Tony Hawk 5 before playing it. poor guy.

Mark did the raid so yes.
Yes. And with Tony hawk being what it is, looks like Dan will be grinding the rest of destiny for the raid 2.0

It's kind of annoying at this point to complain about Destiny talk. It's a big game, lots of people play it, and your opinion on it doesn't really matter because it's their fucking podcast. Doubly so when the two most vocal participants in the podcast play it, and it even sounds like Dan's giving it a shake.

Obviously their opinions might be changing on it with TTK. That's a good thing, people should be pleased that they can recognize when improvements have been made to a game instead of just banging on the same drum and maintaining their original perspective.

Jamie OD

Always love listening to Jeff's stories about the early years of working in websites. Sounds like it was a bizarre wild west of an industry back then.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's kind of annoying at this point to complain about Destiny talk. It's a big game, lots of people play it, and your opinion on it doesn't really matter because it's their fucking podcast. Doubly so when the two most vocal participants in the podcast play it, and it even sounds like Dan's giving it a shake.

Obviously their opinions might be changing on it with TTK. That's a good thing, people should be pleased that they can recognize when improvements have been made to a game instead of just banging on the same drum and maintaining their original perspective.

They talk about it so much though.

SPCTRE

Anyone else weirded out that Austin of all people is apparently raid ready? The one time I heard the Beastcast discuss Destiny, he sounded completely uninterested in the game. Odd to know he not only played TTK but put in the hours to gear up for the raid.
Gearing up for the raid does not take very long with TTK.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Destiny talk is good. I'm re-absorbed with the game at this point to a level I wasn't before. Such an excellent game now. Enjoy hearing their perspectives.

Myggen

Yup. Also, if you want to hear the guys talk about a specific game for a long time, go back six years to the Fallout 3 talk.

Haha, I had forgotten all about that. They were obsessed with that game for a good while after it came out. It'll be very interesting to see how Fallout 4 is recieved by them, I know that Dan also really liked Fallout 3.

LiK

Brad getting Dan and Drew into TTK. an all GB raid crew would be amazing to watch.

Destiny Party Party!

Not as annoying as it is to hear about it!

Owensboro

the worst thing about Destiny discussion is them being constantly baffled and surprised by standard MMO design

I'm always a little shocked by that. I know Jeff had a lifetime sub to Star Trek Online and Jason loves WoW. I guess they just didn't really play a ton of them?

RE_Player

Drew made it to level 11 in Destiny and he's had the base game since it was released. I bet he doesn't even crack level 35 and drops it. Surprised Bungie couldn't keep him as a fan.

Draft

the worst thing about Destiny discussion is them being constantly baffled and surprised by standard MMO design
Jeff has encyclopedic knowledge, but he is only a man. Every thing he learns about Skylanders means something from another, lesser game must be forgotten.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Drew made it to level 11 in Destiny and he's had the base game since it was released. I bet he doesn't even crack level 35 and drops it. Surprised Bungie couldn't keep him as a fan.

He should just spark to 25. I replayed through the vanilla campaign after beating The Taken King story and it really is boring. I don't know what the hell was going on with that.

I'm not one to complain but this destiny talk is just not interesting to me. I know people like so I'm not saying I don't want them to talk about it. It's just even with games I don't care about like Tony Hawk, I find the discussion about them entertaining.
Idk maybe I'll just fast forward next time.

Yeah, even though I don't play Destiny or DOTA or anything that they'll go off the deep end on, I like the podcast best when they're at least somewhat engaged with what they're talking about.

That said, I do kind of wish they had some greater diversity of interests in games. Like when Vinny was on the Bombcast, you could sort of reliably count on him to take an active interest in RPGs and talk up any big RPG release. Yet now, I mean, have any of them even finished The Witcher 3? I know Dan had been saying a while back probably before MGSV that he was still working on it.

The comments on voice acting was weird. Saying that no one buys a game based on the voice actor. Maybe that's true for video game IP, but when using licensed ip, having the actor known for do the voice can make or break a sale.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The comments on voice acting was weird. Saying that no one buys a game based on the voice actor. Maybe that's true for video game IP, but when using licensed ip, having the actor known for do the voice can make or break a sale.

They talk about celebrity voice actors. That's a different thing entirely and I imagine those voice actors get a different deal than your Troy Bakers.

They talk about celebrity voice actors. That's a different thing entirely and I imagine those voice actors get a different deal than your Troy Bakers.

See, that's the point though. They are for the most part wrong. For example, Batman. People are far less likely to buy a Batman game when it isn't voice by Kevin Conroy. In Marvel Heroes online, people willing spend $20 or more just to have spider-man voiced by the 1990s cartoon actor Christopher Daniel Barnes.

That said, I do kind of wish they had some greater diversity of interests in games. Like when Vinny was on the Bombcast, you could sort of reliably count on him to take an active interest in RPGs and talk up any big RPG release. Yet now, I mean, have any of them even finished The Witcher 3? I know Dan had been saying a while back probably before MGSV that he was still working on it.

Well if you want some alternative tastes, then do I have the product for you. The Beastcast! Get your full weekend's supply of Vinny in one listen.

I think Brad may have finished the Witcher, and that was the next thing Dan was going to do once he felt "done" with MGSV.

Well if you want some alternative tastes, then do I have the product for you. The Beastcast! Get your full weekend's supply of Vinny in one listen.

I think Brad may have finished the Witcher, and that was the next thing Dan was going to do once he felt "done" with MGSV.

Any idea if for the game of the year discussion are they going to fly everyone in? Hope they aren't going to skype or something like that.

Bombcast talks about Destiny. People complain they talk about Destiny. Yes, you guys hate it, we get it. Just fast forward. Plenty of people still play Destiny and like listening to their thoughts about it.

Thread is made about bombcast, people talk about bombcast. If you don't like it just fast forward through the thread.

megalowho

They talked about Witcher 3 a bunch during the LA Podfest cast, mostly that it's on everyone's list to go back to. It's a big undertaking granted, even Vinny the Witcher superfan is only a dozen or so hours in due to dad responsibilities.

Also I was ready to skip this Destiny chat, can only hear the same back and forth so many times, but it actually got me interested to at least log back into my vanilla character and see if I like what they've done with the place. A little more enthusiastic than usual overall.

LiK

Thread is made about bombcast, people talk about bombcast. If you don't like it just fast forward through the thread.

oh please, I complained about the DOTA and WWE talk before but I got over it. there are people here who actually care about that stuff but I'm not gonna bitch about it EVERY SINGLE TIME they talk about it. Even when they talked about Destiny in the news, people complained.

but since you're so adamant about it, I put you on ignore. advice accepted.

oh please, I complained about the DOTA and WWE talk before but I got over it. there are people here who actually care about that stuff but I'm not gonna bitch about it EVERY SINGLE TIME they talk about it. Even when they talked about Destiny in the news, people complained.

but since you're so adamant about it, I put you on ignore. advice accepted.

You're taking this a bit too seriously. I merely applied your own argument to this thread.

psylah

I take umbrage with Brad's e-mail selection.

Since he's taken over, this is the third time he's read a "Time loop" e-mail, and the 2nd time he's read one about "this gen being retro inspiration for future gen".

No_Style

I don't care about Destiny and the high cost to buy back in right now is making it an unappealing proposition but I appreciated the discussion. Good to know that they made significant changes.

Also Vince MechMan is fantastic.

Staf

If the Beastcast consisted of Vinny and three clones of Vinny i would take you up on that offer! Unfortunately it's not, lol.

Oh, I know but my impression at least even listening to the Beastcast is that Vinny hasn't had much time to devote to TW3. Even on the Beastcast I feel like Vinny is the only guy that really gets into western RPGs and the format there is such that it seems like they don't necessarily always talk about what they're playing.

They talked about Witcher 3 a bunch during the LA Podfest cast, mostly that it's on everyone's list to go back to. It's a big undertaking granted, even Vinny the Witcher superfan is only a dozen or so hours in due to dad responsibilities.

That's more what I was curious to hear. Especially Vinny's take on it since he's read the books.

Top Bottom