• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Bling video released, in which Drake dances for the entire thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

see5harp

Uh, watch more videos dude.

The director of this Hotline Bling is Director X, he did Sean Pauls ('Im Still in Love With You') which is similiar to Hotline Bling visually. Same Director and vision/

As much as I like the song, yea the video is sorta boring aside from the "somewhat" quirky dance moves. The girls aren't even given enough to do. If you gonna have them thick video girls at least they let them do more than dance all goofy like his ass.

Kelsdesu

This is some diddy level dancing

tumblr_m4jhbr9nr81qfjc3io4_250.gif

1343526556_33-Diddy-Bop.gif

Diddy started as a back up dancer. Don't hate.

MBS

Banned
Director X, king of music videos made for under $20k.

Little X used to direct some pretty dope high-budget videos back in late '90s early '00s. But it's the same thing with the majority of directors, even Hype Williams videos nowadays are somewhat cheap compared to what they once used to be.

robotrock

Banned
Really good music video.

Song is pretty great too. Never really enjoyed much Drake stuff but I guess I'll listen to that new album whenever it's out

kodecraft

Question:

How would some of ya'll concept this video?

Also, Drake doesn't need a stylist. It's great seeing an artisit as big as he is not get ridiculous with their style. His style fits his music. Drake comes off like somebody you know around school, work or something. Not this mythical being some celebrities want to be looked at as.

Snorlocs

There is an article on the fader...an interview with him I think, on the whole drama of the cha cha remix. He basically said in Jamaica one person will make a beat (a riddim) and all the various artistes will make a song based off of this one beat and that's what he did. This is true but is a JAMAICAN thing. He cannot take a tradition from another culture and try it out and go "WELL THEY DO IT IN JAMAICA!!!!". No sir. That's not how it works. If you want to do that do it with Jamaican artistes.

Link to the article: http://www.thefader.com/2015/10/20/drake-hotline-bling-cha-cha-interview

oneHeero

There is an article on the fader...an interview with him I think, on the whole drama of the cha cha remix. He basically said in Jamaica one person will make a beat (a riddim) and all the various artistes will make a song based off of this one beat and that's what he did. This is true but is a JAMAICAN thing. He cannot take a tradition from another culture and try it out and go "WELL THEY DO IT IN JAMAICA!!!!". No sir. That's not how it works. If you want to do that do it with Jamaican artists.

Link to the article: http://www.thefader.com/2015/10/20/drake-hotline-bling-cha-cha-interview
Lol?

Mayyhem

There is an article on the fader...an interview with him I think, on the whole drama of the cha cha remix. He basically said in Jamaica one person will make a beat (a riddim) and all the various artistes will make a song based off of this one beat and that's what he did. This is true but is a JAMAICAN thing. He cannot take a tradition from another culture and try it out and go "WELL THEY DO IT IN JAMAICA!!!!". No sir. That's not how it works. If you want to do that do it with Jamaican artistes.

lmao wut?

It's honestly not that serious.

Fjordson

The Jamaican stuff comes from Toronto. The slang and all that. Can't remember why exactly, but I remember reading it in a piece about Drake (think it was either Pitchfork or that recent Fader cover). Lots of Jamaican immigrants back in the day or something that planted it in Toronto and it stuck.

lol I look for any avenue to hate on Drake but you tripping now.

you gonna write a think piece about it too?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Not even going to front, totally by coincidence I only started bumping Hotline Bling on the iPod last week. I know it's been out for a long time too. I'm a sucker for 80's-ish vibes and promo art for music, which I get a lot from in Hotline Bling for some reason.

I wasn't prepared for the dancing and facial expressions though, it's one thing to not give a damn, but that was pure zero fucks given there. The abundance of damn-fine, thick curvaceous women balanced it out though.

I need that video version of the track though, with the instrumental bit at the end.

Ivan 3414

The funny thing about the Cha Cha rip-off criticism from DRAM is that it also ripped-off another song. Cha Cha is comprised of an unlicensed sample of Super Mario World. They ripped the track from the Star Road hub level and didn't ask or compensate Nintendo, and they eventually had to rerelease the song with an entirely new beat. So DRAM needs to shut that hypocritical shit up.

Bachata dancin bruh. It's like Drake's entire routine was lifted from hanging out with some Dominicans and catchin that uncle getting a little TOO turned up.

Seems like a lot of songs are taking from Latin culture. Cha Cha is full of that bullshit, especially the video with the sombreros and floating tacos. I'd like to see more Latino rappers blow up

Song is corny asf. Lyrics are straight basura.

Melody is fire tho. Video is goofy and fun so it fits the song. It almost makes me retroactively like the actual track. Drake can do no wrong.

Only question is if he goes for the three-peat and drops Views before the end of the year. No wonder Kanye in El Chapo mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom