• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Werewolf |OT| Was it all just a Dream?

CzarTim

I'll trust the sleepwalkers. Xam mentioning role text specifically makes me think it's either true or a planned gambit, and it would be really weird for them to risk 2 scum together right off the bat.

Speaking of day 1 gambits...

...nah nevermind, not just yet

CzarTim

Your thoughts on the sleepwalker claims? True or false? Good or bad play?

Bad play all around. True / false irrelevant to alignment. Would rather not get sidetracked on it day one.

*Splinter

Lets say we believe there are two sleep walkers.

My guess is:

1. Both are town aligned, and this is to make investigatory roles weaker. Except that downside is easy to work around. Unless the investigator somehow can only see 1 person max, with priority given to the sleepwalker.

2. Opposite alignments. One is town, the other mafia. Not sure why mafia would be given a sleepwalker role though.

3. One or both are lying. If town, I see no reason for them to both lie. If mafia... that's just an absurd gambit. Unless one is town and one is mafia. In which case Ultron is town and Xamtheking is mafia, because Xam is backing up Ultron's claim which a townie wouldn't do.
You didn't actually make a guess here. These are all the possibilities.
So which do you guess

My gut tells me, unless another target presents itself, that I'd be okay with testing one of our claimed sleepwalkers today.

I'm fine with this if nothing better comes up.

I'd say to vote Xam.

My reasoning is this: Ultron was the first to claim sleepwalker.

Xam then solidified the sleepwalker claim.

If Ultron is scum and Xam town, that means the same role was given to each faction. But that seems to me a bit less likely than town getting two sleepwalkers.

If Ultron is town and Xam is scum, he boosts Ultron's claim and then makes it sound like he is sleepwalker. This is a bit of a risky gambit though. At best he gets suspicion off him, but at worst mafia loses a member D1.

I'm inclined to believe they are both town. The gambit isn't worthwhile for mafia in my opinion. But if it is a gambit, Xam is the scum of the two.

Lets say we believe there are two sleep walkers.

My guess is:

1. Both are town aligned, and this is to make investigatory roles weaker. Except that downside is easy to work around. Unless the investigator somehow can only see 1 person max, with priority given to the sleepwalker.

2. Opposite alignments. One is town, the other mafia. Not sure why mafia would be given a sleepwalker role though.

3. One or both are lying. If town, I see no reason for them to both lie. If mafia... that's just an absurd gambit. Unless one is town and one is mafia. In which case Ultron is town and Xamtheking is mafia, because Xam is backing up Ultron's claim which a townie wouldn't do.
What if one of them was neutral, like a Serial Killer? Then he'd be able to move around and target people at his whimsy.

Xam played a pretty impressive gambit, though, I think. By saying that ultron basically posted their role PM verbatim, as long as ultron doesn't up and say that his role PM doesn't actually say that, it lends credence to them both having the same role feature, at the very least.

I'll trust the sleepwalkers. Xam mentioning role text specifically makes me think it's either true or a planned gambit, and it would be really weird for them to risk 2 scum together right off the bat.

Speaking of day 1 gambits...

...nah nevermind, not just yet

CzarTim

Your thoughts on the sleepwalker claims? True or false? Good or bad play?

Why did you ask for Czar's opinion specifically? Trying to butter up someone you know to be town, and who has a record of gaining town's trust?

Or are you both scum?

Terrabyte20xx

Junior Wrestlemania XXX Champion
Some thoughts so far:

I'm hesitant to believe the insta-claims, but I doubt it will impact proceedings right now so I won't harp on it. Big thing is that both happened rather quickly at the same time. Not saying they're both wolf's or anything like that, but it is odd.

VOTE: *Splinter

Because you didn't want any RNG votes. And yes, I am aware of Cabot's vote.

Drop

What if one of them was neutral, like a Serial Killer? Then he'd be able to move around and target people at his whimsy.

Xam played a pretty impressive gambit, though, I think. By saying that ultron basically posted their role PM verbatim, as long as ultron doesn't up and say that his role PM doesn't actually say that, it lends credence to them both having the same role feature, at the very least.

It's actually quite impressive, even if one is neutral and the other a wolf and they're both lying, there's no way Ultron could disprove Xam's claim, he might know the other player is lying, but he can't tell anyone without compromising himself.

MattyG

Banned
Jesus, two roleclaims already?! I'm not really sure I believe it 100%, but that would also be a pretty risk move for the wolves.

It's actually quite impressive, even if one is neutral and the other a wolf and they're both lying, there's no way Ultron could disprove Xam's claim, he might know the other player is lying, but he can't tell anyone without compromising himself.

Oh god that'd be so f'ing hot.

CzarTim

I just don't see Xam, as a newbie scum, seeing a claim out of the gate and immediately copying it. The only way that works in my headbrain is if he is a scum sleepwalker, but even then it would be ballsy to claim right away.

Possible scenario that I don't necessarily believe:

ultron, or one of his scum buddies, has reason to believe there is a sleepwalker about. ultron "claims," hoping to draw them out in a moment of false camaraderie. Xam takes the bait.

Just something to keep in mind.

Fireblend

Banned
My initial reaction to both roleclaims is suspicion, but I doubt mafia would either outright come forward with a roleclaim out of the gate, or follow up a legitimate town roleclaim with a duplicate one. I'll have to do some thinking to see if either actions make sense in some way for scum in retrospective but right now I don't see it.

And I dislike "meta" arguments , but I can't help but think unlikely that 2 scum players could come up with some crazy duplicate-role gambit between the time the role PMs were sent and the game actually started, so I don't think that can be the case.

cabot

Not that it is worth much, but Cabot isn't striking me as scum this game like he did last game.

giphy.gif

well isn't that just dandy.

I'd like batsnacks to weigh in on that double claim, I feel he offers good insight when we go onto the nuts and bolts of a mafia game.

Nice to see MattyG kicking off bright and early.

Fireblend

Banned
Also, why the aversion to RNG votes, Splinter? Specially in a game with ~30 players where randomized votes would never get anywhere near majority...

Swamped

Banned

You really think this? In the scenario that one is wolf and the other village, i would have thought the opposite. Ultron claims first (he could be a wolf/neutral PR who wants an excuse if he's seen at night). So maybe Ultron's intention was to see if a real sleep walker would also claim. Xam's reaction felt very genuine, i doubt he's lying.

This sort of play feels really ridiculous though.

At this point, I'm willing to believe both of them, even if i think their power had been reduced by claiming.

Hey, I did it first. Xam just jumped on my coattails. Not my problem.

What did you think of his claim? Did you expect it?

Also, I have no intention of deputizing anyone this early, but I think no one had a doubt about that.

Good idea. I'll say this though: I volunteer as tribute.

cabot

Possible scenario that I don't necessarily believe:

ultron, or one of his scum buddies, has reason to believe there is a sleepwalker about. ultron "claims," hoping to draw them out in a moment of false camaraderie. Xam takes the bait.

Just something to keep in mind.

That seems far too clever for little pay off.

I'm going to punt it out of my mind, now.

kingkitty

I don't think Ultron baited the sleepwalker, because he was able to get all the details right, including not knowing who he visited.

If people wanted to test the sleepwalkers, then deep-fry Xam. Since he could possibly be neutral/mafia who quickly tried to cover himself.

The sleepwalker claims are bugging me a bit, despite my earlier comment, but seeing as I can't figure out a reasonable scenario where they benefit from it if they're lying, I guess it's worth just putting to one side for now.

The only thing I can think of that I don't think has been brought up yet, is that Xam has some sort of other power role that benefits from claiming.

*Splinter

Why did you ask for Czar's opinion specifically? Trying to butter up someone you know to be town, and who has a record of gaining town's trust?

Or are you both scum?
This is quite a strange read of the situation, especially when I literally asked Darryl how to play mafia before this.

I will ask many people questions to see how they respond*. I asked Tim this particular question to see if he'd complain about Ultron apparently quoting his role pm. He didn't, which isn't a huge deal but is also not what I had predicted for him.

*inb4 Swamped votes me for not being scummy enough

My initial reaction to both roleclaims is suspicion, but I doubt mafia would either outright come forward with a roleclaim out of the gate, or follow up a legitimate town roleclaim with a duplicate one. I'll have to do some thinking to see if either actions make sense in some way for scum in retrospective but right now I don't see it.

And I dislike "meta" arguments , but I can't help but think unlikely that 2 scum players could come up with some crazy duplicate-role gambit between the time the role PMs were sent and the game actually started, so I don't think that can be the case.
Suppose one of them is a wolf who is not a sleepwalker--or even is, I guess, since I'm not sure it makes a difference either way--but fake claimed the role so that a tracker would zero onto him to verify his claim while his wolf buddy moves around.

If this is the case, though, I'd be inclined to say that Xam is more likely than ultron to do this, since he played that bit about ultron posting the words from his role PM.

kingkitty

I don't think Ultron baited the sleepwalker, because he was able to get all the details right, including not knowing who he visited.

If people wanted to test the sleepwalkers, then deep-fry Xam. Since he could possibly be neutral/mafia who quickly tried to cover himself.

ohhh or what if Ultron is mafia making up a false claim because he's full of boldness. And then Xam is a bold neutral who tries to copy.

and I'm actually the fifth sleepwalker in this game.

*Splinter

Some thoughts so far:

I'm hesitant to believe the insta-claims, but I doubt it will impact proceedings right now so I won't harp on it. Big thing is that both happened rather quickly at the same time. Not saying they're both wolf's or anything like that, but it is odd.

VOTE: *Splinter

Because you didn't want any RNG votes. And yes, I am aware of Cabot's vote.
Could you elaborate on this?

cabot

I think Terra is just hurt because that's his favourite thing to open a mafia game with in the whole wide world, Splinter.

Swamped

Banned
I did actually want to bring up the PM issue. Try not to directly quote, paraphrase or reference your role PMs. This is a grey area though.

CzarTim

This is quite a strange read of the situation, especially when I literally asked Darryl how to play mafia before this.

I will ask many people questions to see how they respond*. I asked Tim this particular question to see if he'd complain about Ultron apparently quoting his role pm. He didn't, which isn't a huge deal but is also not what I had predicted for him.

*inb4 Swamped votes me for not being scummy enough

I was too busy complaining about it in the mafia chat.

You really think this? In the scenario that one is wolf and the other village, i would have thought the opposite. Ultron claims first (he could be a wolf/neutral PR who wants an excuse if he's seen at night). So maybe Ultron's intention was to see if a real sleep walker would also claim. Xam's reaction felt very genuine, i doubt he's lying.

This sort of play feels really ridiculous though.

At this point, I'm willing to believe both of them, even if i think their power had been reduced by claiming.

What did you think of his claim? Did you expect it?

Good idea. I'll say this though: I volunteer as tribute.

You don't think it would require a bit of absurd luck for Ultron to false claim a role and happen to have the role be in the game on town side? And for him to use wording such that the town sleepwalker absolutely believes the false claim?

Top Bottom