• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toren - interesting and surreal dark fantasy experience

OgdhFI6.jpg

Just finished this Toren game, as part of playing the thirdperson indie games that came out in 2015 (Toren, Submerged, Beyond Eyes, Dreamfall Chapters). Now coming away from it, think it is kind of underappreciated. Loved it.

Main criticisms would be production-wise mainly, it's just unpolished. Clipping, collision detection, floaty platforming, what little of the combat there is lacks much feedback. But I feel the lack of polish is excused considering like 30 people in total worked on the game (including composer, producers) and with the variety of visuals on offer here. On the level of Zeno Clash 2. Much like that game, also South American developers (Swordtales is Brazilian, ACE Team is Chilean) so props to seeing more games from that continent.

If those don't bother you so much, check it out for a really interesting coming-of-age dark fantasy experience. It's short but complete, around 3 hours. Perfect for one sitting. There is oodles of poeticism and surrealism involving ashen children, blood, seasons, and celestial bodies. Basically, men's ambition and arrogance has failed them, so a girl is the only one who can save it all while being guided by a mage, but her childhood will have to be sacrificed. Seasons and her age changes, as she makes a tree tower to the top. Celestial bodies get involved. Reminded me fondly of Tale of Princess Kaguya. There's only about 3 characters involved: a girl, a soldier, and a dragon. It's a pretty grim and lonely affair
when you realise it's a post-human world
, overall.

If you're up for something more sombre from an action-adventure game in the vein of Team Ico with the dark surrealism of something like Alice Madness Returns, 70s psychedelia, and a cool female protagonist in a memorable tale, give it a shot. The music by Vinicius Kleinsorgen is memorably excellent. It's like $4/£3 right now on Steam (also on GOG and Humble). Worth it just for the visuals, mang.

v6kUc9S.jpg

faoeSj5.jpg

V2c9psW.jpg

1Ett4S9.jpg

q6xlBzv.jpg

Ixfxn0X.jpg

ouCAXDq.jpg

0v4PJ7T.jpg

J2kZnQ7.jpg

OUici63.jpg

Dgo0vRv.jpg

gbJEzbq.jpg

ftK5oQr.jpg

PaulloDEC

Like most others who've played it, I found it to be super clunky/janky/buggy, but really interesting aesthetically.

Thanks, I will check it out. Looks interesting from the screenshots.

The reviews were pretty bad, is the game truly good?

Usually reviewers are harsher than normal users with a lack of polish. It has a low score in metacritic, but more than 75% of steam user reviews are positive.

I think the OP is underplaying the technical problems with this game. The toughest puzzles in the game were not getting stuck in the geometry and triggering things to progress. Not worth even $5.

Top Bottom