• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade X Eurogamer Preview: Maybe 2015's Most Impressive Open World

Zenaku

Like I mentioned 2 pages back, when running on internal there were cutscenes that would start and load grass and other objects a split second later, while the same cutscenes on an external drive had the objects loaded before the cutscene even began.

For what it's worth, the HDD I'm using is 7200rpm.

I wouldn't call it a complaint. Its an observation of pacing.

Pacing in a game that lasts 50-100+ hours is going to be very different from one that lasts only 5 though.

It makes sense to me in a game with 3 different "kinds" of movement around the world and length like this, that you'd be waiting dozens of hours before you get the first major upgrade, and then even more to get full access to the entire world.

As long as the game is fun from hour 1 (which this certainly appears to be), the pacing is fine.

Renewed

Like I mentioned 2 pages back, when running on internal there were cutscenes that would start and load grass and other objects a split second later, while the same cutscenes on an external drive had the objects loaded before the cutscene even began.

For what it's worth, the HDD I'm using is 7200rpm.

I remember a cutscene that was super in-your-face about that (like you have to close your eyes and look away to avoid it). Thanks for the headsup!

ivysaur12

Banned
That clearly isn't their main complaint. And poor pacing is a legitimate thing to criticize a game for.

To be fair, I'm a little overwhelmed even thinking about all of the systems within the game. As long as it eases you into each system in a way that just doesn't throw you into the deep end, I would consider that helpful.

Maybe it's not that, though.

Vena

Pacing in a game that lasts 50-100+ hours is going to be very different from one that lasts only 5 though.

It makes sense to me in a game with 3 different "kinds" of movement around the world and length like this, that you'd be waiting dozens of hours before you get the first major upgrade, and then even more to get full access to the entire world.

As long as the game is fun from hour 1 (which this certainly appears to be), the pacing is fine.

Yes, the pacing can be fine. The pacing can also be longer/slower than that of a 5 hour game. :p

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Right, this is a game that is much longer than the average game, and beyond that, it encourages you to play the game at your own pace rather than rush through it, with dozens of mechanics and systems you need to learn that shouldn't just be thrown at you, it better take 5 hourz for itself to get going.

Mupod

Almost 3 years back (for consideration of tech), a niconico user recorded a comparison for MH3G (found through reddit). Top left: disk, top right: internal storage, bottom left: external HDD (500GB), bottom right: SSD (80GB) (products at the bottom of the video's page and end of the video, although that doesn't have much bearing these days).

Seems like at the time, fastest to slowest was: SSD, internal storage and external HDD are within a second of each other but internal gets the lead sometimes in these cases, disk.

I don't know the first thing about external HDDs and SSDs so I'm not the person to talk to, I can only observe. And it may be different these days as external HDDs would be better than they use to be.

I want to find something more recent, if I can't I'm leaving this as is or I'll poke around other threads.

Finally, I will 100% this game 3 times dammit.

Now I remember why I was confused about earlier comments in this thread saying external storage was preferred. I was posting this video here a lot and it was the reason I went digital for MH3U (every little bit counts in a 300-400 hour game).

Regarding tech advancements - the damn thing's still usb 2.0. That's kind of a bottleneck. I have a very good flash drive that's been working fine for me, although I barely touch my Wii U.

Chaos17

That clearly isn't their main complaint. And poor pacing is a legitimate thing to criticize a game for.

Hehehehe, hahahaa XD
Sorry but that's funny because the pacing of the game actually depend of the player just like for Fantasy Life 3DS. You choose to advance the story when you want or feel to. Otherwise you can go just explore.

That's why some reviewers can take 40 or 80 hours to unlock their first mecha.

Oh anyone who is listening to Ninjablade shouldn't, he is a troll that has been sticking around just to complain about the game.

foxuzamaki

I swear if my SE gets delivered on the 10th or worse the 12th which is the latest estimate I'm gonna to nutz

KarmaCow

I've been sorta avoiding more indepth coverage lately since the game is coming out but how is the controller support for the game? I think I'd rather use a Wiimote + Nunchuk over the gamepad but I don't know how the game uses the touchpad or camera controls.

Not_Mario

Neo Member
I've been sorta avoiding more indepth coverage lately since the game is coming out but how is the controller support for the game? I think I'd rather use a Wiimote + Nunchuk over the gamepad but I don't know how the game uses the touchpad or camera controls.

I don't think it supports Wii controllers. The gamepad is pretty much essential so even if you use the classic controller pro you'll still want it around to fast travel and do things with mining probes and probably some other stuff.

I swear if my SE gets delivered on the 10th or worse the 12th which is the latest estimate I'm gonna to nutz
Just try to find the Xeno X SE in a Gamestop on release day. Then return the online SE to whoever u preordered from. That's my plan if Amazon continues this December 8th fuckup

A little off topic but Shulk amiibo available again from Gamestop online

Well shit, the Giant Bomb quick look just sold me. I'm gonna be $350 poorer next week to play this one game. I absolutely loved the first one, and this looks like so much more of that.

One question for anyone who might know: In the last game it seemed beneficial to wait to explore and discover new places until you got all the party members so they would get the points used in the skill trees. It might seem small, but it drove me crazy. Is there anything like that in this game?

Well shit, the Giant Bomb quick look just sold me. I'm gonna be $350 poorer next week to play this one game. I absolutely loved the first one, and this looks like so much more of that.

One question for anyone who might know: In the last game it seemed beneficial to wait to explore and discover new places until you got all the party members so they would get the points used in the skill trees. It might seem small, but it drove me crazy. Is there anything like that in this game?

Yes and no. You get exp for finding new areas/things, but only for people currently in the party.

Not_Mario

Neo Member
Xenoblade X MiiVerse is gonna be a thing of beauty.
It already is. (Beware of spoilers, of course)
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/titles/14866558073650090735/14866558073650090748/diary
There's so many great screenshots in there.

EDIT: Here's some I've saved over the last month or so:
qf0c9Sf.jpg

DzlC3ct.jpg

m5doSEG.jpg
Full album here: http://imgur.com/a/LKb1G

The Quick Look did a fine job of unselling me on this game, I really wanted it to be awesome though. COUPLE QUESTIONS; is there a proper feature length story? It seemed like all the quests were very MMO-esque like go to the lake and kill these turtles and collect their turtle faces etc Is it like FFXII where you can do all those side things but there still is a compelling story to follow? And then the battle system just seemed like a bunch of hectic crazy nonsense, does it actually feel good and is there any strategy to it?

The music in the town though, best and worst thing about the game so far.

KarmaCow

I don't think it supports Wii controllers. The gamepad is pretty much essential so even if you use the classic controller pro you'll still want it around to fast travel and do things with mining probes and probably some other stuff.

Not surprising that it doesn't support Wii controllers but I don't have a Wii U Pro controller and I don't like using the gamepad for extended playthroughs. Oh well.

Poyunch

I've tried preloading twice and have had errors and corruptions in the span of almost 4-5 hours. Come on Nintendo. Come on.

foxuzamaki

The Quick Look did a fine job of unselling me on this game, I really wanted it to be awesome though. COUPLE QUESTIONS; is there a proper feature length story? It seemed like all the quests were very MMO-esque like go to the lake and kill these turtles and collect their turtle faces etc Is it like FFXII where you can do all those side things but there still is a compelling story to follow? And then the battle system just seemed like a bunch of hectic crazy nonsense, does it actually feel good and is there any strategy to it?

The music in the town though, best and worst thing about the game so far.

Ofcourse there's a full feature length story, he tried his best to not spoil shit thoughout the whole video.

El Odio

Banned
I've tried preloading twice and have had errors and corruptions in the span of almost 4-5 hours. Come on Nintendo. Come on.
The game or the data packs? I had trouble with the data packs when I dled them as a whole but doing it individually gave me no issue.

Evilkazz

Banned
between the quick look and ninjablade's posts I'm wondering if it's time to get off this train

I couldn't even get halfway through he quicklook before I decided it was too much. From all the gameplay I've seen, the explanations of it's systems and various non story gameplay segments I feel that I've had enough. I'm hoping to just go dark for a week.

I might even skip the reviews. I think I've already seen like 1/3 or Primordia by this point.

foxuzamaki

It has a story, but isn't the consensus that it isn't nearly the same as the heavy story and linear narrative focus of all previous "Xeno" games?

Ive heard opinions all over the place with this, it most def has a story and peole who have done impressions are saying that there is one and that at a certain point in the game is when it gets really engaging, it might not be super linear but a story is there, iits just that they made the world more compliment it, you wont find things out in the story in the affinity quests for instance, I also heard that the the story is more character driven rather than plot driven because of the focus on affinity quests. The game wants you to love its characters.

Top Bottom