• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Ep 1 - 3 Anti-Cheese Editions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always hated that fat gungans shaking his face BRRRRRRBRBRRRBR
tumblr_mh1ijiomoD1qlzduwo1_500.gif

Boss Nass is bombad as hell. Love that character for some reason.

Toxi

Banned
Someone should do the no fun allowed edits of the OT.
- Dubbed over C-3PO's embarrassing dialogue with lines that better convey the seriousness of the situation.
- Removed the line about going to the Tosche station to pick up some power converters.
- Changed the Cantina theme to a somber piano track.
- Removed footage of Stormtrooper bumping his head on door. Stormtroopers are trained soldiers, not bumbling clowns.

A lot of people don't realize the original trilogy is also filled with cheese, bad dialog and silly humor.
The OT does have bad dialogue but it also doesn't take itself that seriously. And when it does (particularly in the latter two films) it knows how to play drama without going to melodrama. We also have a stronger connection to the characters which makes their stories more compelling when it starts moving towards that direction.

The prequels spoonfeed every minute of Anakin and Padme's hokey romance, Anakin's fall from grace and Anakin and Obi-Wan's friendship as if it's supposed to be treated like this great tragedy. And nothing in the OT sinks to the level of the dialogue in the prequels ("Only Sith deal in absolutes," "I don't like sand," "I wish I could just wish away my feelings" etc. etc. etc.). As a result you have movies that have their heads up their own asses without being good enough to justify said head-assery.

Also silly humor... Maybe in the special editions where they add some slapstick but most of the jokes in Star Wars involve the characters snarking about their current predicaments. Nothing like Jar Jar stepping in poop or electrocuting himself with the pod racer.

ascii42

Let me add another axiom:

Amateur fan-editing doesn't fix any of these things.

Well, you can improved scripts and mitigate a lot of acting issues with re-dubbed and subtitled dialogue, which he has attempted in some places here. YMMV on whether or not he achieved that.

rashbeep

Banned
Really isn't anything you can do to these movies to make them good. I prefer the "what if episode _ was good?" series.

Mandius

I noped right out after the first encounter with Jar Jar.

Bearded one! It's clear to me that you're in a bit of trouble and you need to find a quiet way into the city.

Wow. What an improvement.

I'll be watching his ep3 for the first time tomorrow night in my daily star wars leading up to TFA

I was surprised how much he improved the film. I won't go into details so I don't spoil it for you but you'll enjoy it. My girlfriend refuses to watch any other versions of the prequels but these now. Anyone I've shown his cuts to asks me to burn them a copy so they can replace their current discs. It's almost surprising how well they've been accepted by people who aren't even major Star Wars fans.

His Episode II might be his best "work" though. I'd suggest watching his other two edits when you get a chance.

The only other edits I'd recommend are Adywan's Episode IV. The blu-rays of Episode V and VI are fine although Q2's Episode VI edit is still pretty great (replaces the Jabba song with the original, gets rid of Vader's "No" at the end, replaces Hayden ghost with Sebastian ghost and some other minor changes).

Adywan's Episode V is coming out next year which I'm very excited for.

120v

- R2 and C3PO are removed entirely from the ending battle in the droid factory and the arena.

i actually kind of like AotC but this part was complete bullshit.

i raged so hard when i found out lucas added it at the last minute... why

ehhh. Watched the Vader noooo scene just to test this out and it just made an awkward scene worse. Instead of a build up to a cry of anguish its just James Earl Jones mumbling and grumbling.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Inb4

Trade disputes
burned up bodies
hands getting cut off
depaication
murder of kids
All of those things are perfectly valid reasons as to why these movies aren't for kids, except for the first one where the target audience was specifically first and foremost children.

Let it go man. You get a new Star Wars movie in a few days. It's really amazing people are still trying to "save" these movies 15 years later. We get it, they suck, move on.

Skipped to some Jar Jar scene in The Phantom Menace. This just sounds stupid and makes no sense.

Can't turn shit into champagne no matter how you ferment it.

The time spent editing and/or watching these would be better spent doing literally anything else, including if you spent the time advocating genocide.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
never noticed you can see the power cord for Amidala's dress lamps in the shot :

whqVVPd.png

between the pillars and across the ground

wow

similarly, there's a point in the original SW where you could see Vader holding a plain white stick instead of a saber

Will watch these after I finish watching Star Wars 5 and 6.

I just saw A New Hope for the first time in my life today and I'm pleasantly surprised. I can't believe how good of a film this is, especially from 1977. The visuals also look good. It's crazy. Nine-fucking-seventy-seven. Can't wrap my head around it to be honest.

Episode 5 will blow your mind.

Sapiens

Yes?

You can make children's stories violent. See Grimm's Fairy Tales.

Disney is no stranger to violence in its movies either:

anigif_enhanced-1657-1413398004-13.gif

Another good example of violence in a kids move is Watershed Down:

7e8ebedde1500497b7a853824ce39d11.jpg

Dont kid yourself about Star Wars - primary audience is kids. The people who are most nostalgic about it and base their lives around it today are in their 40s/50s and were the target demographic in the 70s/80s.

Yes, it is a family picture.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
You can make children's stories violent. See Grimm's Fairy Tales.

Disney is no stranger to violence in its movies either:

I'd argue that live-action violent deaths have different weight than imagination or Disney animation, especially in the state of Hollywood criteria for kids' censorship in the past 15 or so years.

I see your point though.

Tookay

So he removed almost all the dialogue during the Anakin/Obi-Wan fight (which wasn't even that bad) but left this in?

6827383467_38cb77135d_o.gif

There is nothing wrong about that shot, other than the internet's over-use of it.

Two Jedi at their prime probing for weaknesses is not a choreography problem.

Sapiens

I'd argue that live-action violent deaths have different weight than imagination or Disney animation, especially in the state of Hollywood criteria for kids' censorship in the past 15 or so years.

I see your point though.

The visuals in Star Wars (especially the prequels) are so cartoonish and fantastic, that there is an argument to be made that the realism is kept at bay and controlled. In a movie where super men jedi can jump 100 feet in the air and evade lasers, getting burned by lava is only an injury to them.

Oersted

The visuals in Star Wars (especially the prequels) are so cartoonish and fantastic, that there is an argument to be made that the realism is kept at bay and controlled. In a movie where super men jedi can jump 100 feet in the air and evade lasers, getting burned by lava is only an injury to them.

It is clearly not played out as "only an injury".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom