• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Reach Reveal Thread - Matchmaking/Multiplayer Details Revealed

Major Williams said:
If you really want to get into it, which it sounds like we both do, it almost sounds like the commander is saying it in a mocking/smart-ass tone that the Spartans never die.
Yeah, I thought the comment was an updated version of the "old soldiers never die; they just fade away" quote made famous by MacArthur. They all know that other Spartans can keep death at bay in impossible situations and was being ironical in his response to Jorge.

NeXuSDK

squidhands said:
Yeah, I thought the comment was an updated version of the "old soldiers never die; they just fade away" quote made famous by MacArthur. They all know that other Spartans can keep death at bay in impossible situations and was being ironical in his response to Jorge.

It's a well known fact from the books that Spartans are never listed KIA, just MIA, to keep morals high for the people... it was a reference to that...

I don't understand the mentality that Bungie should stick roughly to the mechanics that we're used to in Halo 3 with a few changes. I'm as big a fan as base halo as anyone and was a big MLG player back in the days of Halo 2 but given the fact that H3 was basically just officially completed in September and that we already got an expansion with that same system in place I don't see any reason for Bungie to spend its final efforts on this I.P (at least for a while at least) on just throwing in some weapons and a new gimmick.

I want the choice between playing Reach and Halo 3 to be very clear. H3 has the more standard death match that I'm used to and for Reach to basically play the same way except with a couple of upgrades and fewer maps strikes me as being less than ideal. I'm not against iron sights, a true class based system or Reach being a large scaled multiplayer game. Hell aiming the battle rifle down a true modeled ACOG scope would be awesome.

Reach is my most anticipated game and judging by what we've seen of the shots I doubt it'll be a huge departure from the norm but it would disappoint me if Bungie didn't try something new here.

Magni

Things that need drastic improvement H3 -> Reach MP-wise:

-netcode
-playlist management
-maps
-matchmaking times
-ping time
-drop-in/drop-out for Social or CG browser (XBL Public, where art thou?)

What else am I missing?

Tashi0106 said:
So I met a future HaloGAF member on JTV just today. He saw my name in some chat and immediately knew I was from HaloGAF. He's a hardcore lurker waiting to get approved. He seems like a cool dude, he prefers the BR and says things like "Tashi > dax" No lie. Looking forward to future MLG fans in HaloGAF when he gets approved, whenever that may be lol. Keep an eye out for kSeven.

I said I'd give him a shout out
It may be that "Tashi > Dax01," but DaxO1 > Tashi and Dax01.

BerserkerBarage

Neo Member
Blueblur1 said:
Oh shit, he was a real person? He would come and go so I always thought a couple different people at Bungie were behind the Ninja 0n Fire/Jeremiah account. I guess the contracted bit made sense. He probably never really went on vacation to Hawaii then. :p

Yep, the person in charge of MM goes: Jeremiah (NOF), Tyson Green (Ferrex), Chad (Shishka). As much as Shishka and I don't get along, he's done a far better job with Halo 3 than Ferrex did. Partially because I'd imagine Ferrex has other stuff to work on because he's MP Lead. I'd imagine if Ferrex were still in charge, Team Elimination would still be in MM and THC/MLG would have never seen the light of day.

WrikaWrek said:
Nobody gives a shit about Marathon.

What? N'ah man, I do believe you can get your ass kicked for saying something like that.

After playing MW2 for a little bit, I think I'm even more hyped up for Reach (even the MP Beta) than I was before. IW is making Bungie's job easier.

~B.B.

WJD

Letters said:
Nothing personal, but this is known to annoy some mods (and other users), and people have been banned because of it. Just a heads up.

I believe many people have already told him this.

At least we don't have "Bye ;)" at the moment. :lol

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
lockload said:
OK i checked back about 25 pages and couldnt see this already posted sorry if old http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/halo-reach-trailer-analysis-blog-entry

Confirms it is indeed in engine real time and not pre rendered, points out an number of reasons for this
Hype x a million.

h3_zoolanderfinished.gif

lockload said:
OK i checked back about 25 pages and couldnt see this already posted sorry if old http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/halo-reach-trailer-analysis-blog-entry

Confirms it is indeed in engine real time and not pre rendered, points out an number of reasons for this

We must be reading different articles, because the one I'm looking at states clearly that it is in-engine but certainly NOT real time, something we already knew:

Eurogamer said:
The video would be "in-engine", the key phase missing there being "real-time". It's fairly obvious that what we have here is a offline render of a Reach cut-scene

Falagard

lockload said:

Wrong. What Trunchisholm said. The article says it is in-engine but not realtime (an offline render of a cutscene using the engine). However, everyone, including Eurogamer, is speculating.

No one has any facts yet.

This is why it is so funny that people like godhand come along and ask whether it is confirmed that multiplayer is class based. No, absolutely nothing is confirmed at this point.

NOKYARD

MagniHarvald said:
What else am I missing?
Ranks that mean something, are increasingly difficult to achieve, and do not lock.

If you buy a 50 it should slowly drop back to your actual level over time. Above a certain rank your games are scrutinized to catch cheaters. The market for boosted accounts would dry up over night. People would be less likely to cheat for higher ranks because they would have to continue cheating to maintain the rank. (although, it would likely breed entirely new forms of cheating)

Magni

Falagard said:
Wrong. What Trunchisholm said. The article says it is in-engine but not realtime (an offline render of a cutscene using the engine). However, everyone, including Eurogamer, is speculating.

No one has any facts yet.

This is why it is so funny that people like godhand come along and ask whether it is confirmed that multiplayer is class based. No, absolutely nothing is confirmed at this point.

It's being developed by Bungie, slated for a Fall 2010 release on Xbox 360 :p

But seriously, not many facts apart from it being an FPS, once the floodgates open in January..

MagniHarvald said:

But seriously, not many facts apart from it being an FPS, once the floodgates open in January..

Are we really sure it's being developed by Bungie and slated for a Fall release in 2010, and could it also be released on the DS?

:p

Chrange

Banned
MagniHarvald said:

Are we really SURE it's a FPS? Those leaked shots might be misdirection! :D

Magni

8wcklw.jpg

34didjn.jpg

This would be editable in Forge 2.0 of course. What say you HaloGAF? This made communication in Vegas 2 much easier, even with total noobs.

MagniHarvald said:
This would be editable in Forge 2.0 of course. What say you HaloGAF? This made communication in Vegas 2 much easier, even with total noobs.
Actually naming areas of the map, and making those names easily apparent could do nothing but help teamwork. I don't know why anybody would oppose that kind of idea. It only builds on to the existing team-friendly elements of multiplayer.

zumphry

Banned
NullPointer said:
Actually naming areas of the map, and making those names easily apparent could do nothing but help teamwork. I don't know why anybody would oppose that kind of idea. It only builds on to the existing team-friendly elements of multiplayer.

Yeah, didn't Halo 1's strategy guide (or something like that, I remember seeing a picture..or was it just made by Halopedia?) have callouts for the multiplayer maps? Like how the middle of Sidewinder in the open (where the Overshield/Active camo would spawn) was called "FUBAR":)lol)?

The idea would probably work best as Territory names above each territory, that way people would be able to recognize those names. Though, having it in every gametype is probably better than just having them in territories, and having people remember them from it.

ManCannon

<lol @ Brian Jarrard in the background with the iphone of the VGA interview on Waypoint.>

the results of that guerilla iphone VGA documenting will be posted on Bnet later today, FYI. (not really worth anticipating or anything, just saying...)

:)KK BYE ~~~M.C.

GhaleonEB

Letters said:
Nothing personal, but this is known to annoy some mods (and other users), and people have been banned because of it. Just a heads up.
I have him on Ignore, which is where I park anyone who drops a sig after every post. So put me in the category of people who find it annoying. :p

I've been wrapped up in the PoliGAF drama for the past week, so I haven't been in here talking the Halos as much as usual. One thought on a topic that's mostly been moved away from: custom load outs vs. set weapons and map control.

I'm fine with custom load outs, as long as they are restricted to certain classes of weapons. In Halo 3, letting people choose the SMG or Plasma Rifle over the AR, or the pistol over the BR (they're out there - voc), as examples. But don't let anyone start with power weapons - shottys, rockets, lasers, etc - unless they are appropriate to the map or gametype.

Essentially, I'd like to see an added option to screen by custom game what weapons a player can choose to start with. In most matchmaking games, that would exclude the power weapons (snipe, rockets, laser, shotty, etc.), but let you pick from the rifles, pistols and machine guns.

For custom games, just list the guns in the starting weapon sub-menu, and allow the player to check off which weapons would be available in the load out. If only one or two are picked, those are the starting weapons. If three or more are picked, those are the weapons players can select from in the pre-game lobby.

This way the starting load out can be crafted to each game type, and each playlist, and made to exclude weapons that are left on the map for teams to fight over. So it retains an element of customization that won't break the game, and also retains the map control strategy that Halo utilizes currently.

Apologies if someome made this exact suggestion; I'm a touch behind in reading everything...

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
"Didn't think anyone survived NeoGAF, sir."

"Trolls never die, Jorge, they're just perma-banned."

"I read your post history, troll, even the posts EviLore didn't want me to. I'm glad to have your posting skills, but you can leave that sarcasm meter behind."

"This our new junior member?"

"Affirmative."

"You picked a hell of a day to register."

duk

Banned
Domino Theory said:

"I read your post history, troll, even the posts EviLore didn't want me to. I'm glad to have your posting skills, but you can leave that sarcasm meter behind."

"Affirmative."

nice!

feel

Nicely done.

Offtopic, but speaking of bans, I recently realized very popular gaffer fistfulofmetal was banned by Evilore (maybe perma) in the OT for expressing his opinion on something I brought up. I kinda feel bad for that. :/

Letters said:
Nicely done.

Offtopic, but speaking of bans, I recently realized very popular gaffer fistfulofmetal was banned by Evilore (maybe perma) in the OT for expressing his opinion on something I brought up. I kinda feel bad for that. :/
Fistful is banned? Huh...
And not bad Domino :D

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
MagniHarvald said:
I have Vegas 2 and I've never even noticed that.. wow.

GhaleonEB said:
Essentially, I'd like to see an added option to screen by custom game what weapons a player can choose to start with. In most matchmaking games, that would exclude the power weapons (snipe, rockets, laser, shotty, etc.), but let you pick from the rifles, pistols and machine guns.

Bungie would have to change weapon damages and mechanics quite a bit to make this work imo otherwise why not just go with the battle rifle equivalent in Reach?

Personally I'd be delighted to see multiple rifles, pistols, shotguns, assault rifles and etc but there is no evidence that Bungie would ever pursue that.

GhaleonEB

Dark FaZe said:
Bungie would have to change weapon damages and mechanics quite a bit to make this work imo otherwise why not just go with the battle rifle equivalent in Reach?

Personally I'd be delighted to see multiple rifles, pistols, shotguns, assault rifles and etc but there is no evidence that Bungie would ever pursue that.
They already have, but to a lesser degree. BR/Carbine, SMG/Spiker/AR/Plasma Rifle, Pistol/Plasma Pistol. Differences, nuances, but same categories.

Obviously to make it work the sandbox would have to be evolved in Reach (which I'm sure it will be, though perhaps not in that direction). But that was implicit in my point.

Wizman23

Banned
OMG someone signed their post. You guys are the biggest bunch of fucking babies ever. No wonder why no one from Bungie rarely posts here anymore. It scares me that some of you have actually brought children into this world. Grow the fuck up.

feel

Does sketch read gaf?? He made that iphone video right? That means he must have the mp3 of the Reach trailer music just casually sitting on his computer....
PLZ SHARE SKETCH!!!!!!!!!!

Wizman23 said:
OMG someone signed their post. You guys are the biggest bunch of fucking babies ever. No wonder why no one from Bungie rarely posts here anymore. It scares me that some of you have actually brought children into this world. Grow the fuck up.
It doesn't actually bother me. But the mods are strict about certain stuff. Was just telling him that I've seen people getting banned for that. And because he's still a junior, it would be a shame if he got perma for such a silly thing, since he seems like a decent fella.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Domino Theory said:

"Affirmative."

:lol :lol :lol
nicely done!

Keikoku

Banned
Domino Theory said:

"Affirmative."

Oh god :lol

Domino Theory said:

"Affirmative."

:lol

Yea, the sig guy has received some serious heat from a lot of members in a certain locked thread. Some might call it the largest thread on GAF.

I'm not sure if I want loadouts in my Halo game. That would require much more weapons than are currently in the sandbox, and that's no good. I still think BR/SMG start would be great. Worked well in H2 and promoted dual weilding. I'm pretty sure no one dual weilds in H3.

EazyB

Banned
Wizman23 said:
ManCannon said:
the results of that guerilla iphone VGA documenting will be posted on Bnet later today, FYI. (not really worth anticipating or anything, just saying...)

:)KK BYE ~~~M.C.
:lol

charsace

So have people finally decided what type of spartan these guys are? I think they are spartan 3's because skull man is someone that wouldn't have made it through spartan 2 training.

charsace said:
I didn't know it was confirmed. Thanks. Just thought it was funny that some people thought they were Spartan 2s.

If they guys are Spartan III's, does that mean there's a chance they'll play more like ODST's since their weaker than II's? From what I read on Halopedia, III's just seem like ODST's in better armor.

Red

riceandbeans said:
If they guys are Spartan III's, does that mean there's a chance they'll play more like ODST's since their weaker than II's? From what I read on Halopedia, III's just seem like ODST's in better armor.
I haven't read the books that featured SIIIs, but from what I understand they are essentially SIIs lacking full physical augmentation.

charsace

Crunched said:
I haven't read the books that featured SIIIs, but from what I understand they are essentially SIIs lacking full physical augmentation.
Some of them are also fucked in the head. Something that you wouldn't see with Spartan 2s. They will be much better than ODSTs, but not on par with Spartan 2s.

Top Bottom