• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
birdchili said:
i stink at this game.

i can't hit enemies with my people cannon.

Press the Z button to turn on targetting. Makes it a hell of a lot easier.

i can barely beat any of the quests without massive casualties, and i'm not sure what kind of strategies to be using other than "don't let your guys hit the enemy for more than one second before recalling them or they'll be crushed".

i'm playing on "normal" and my rpg pride won't let me downgrade to easy. some basic pointers?

Two things.

First, practice your running-away skills. Running away is an important part of this game!

Second, when you meet a new guardian/boss, think about what you are doing - think about what and how many troops you need. Huge armies are not always best. For example, the first giant frog is much easier with just a few soldiers. So are the big mushrooms.

Hooooo boy. I just tried hooking this game up to my new (used) Sony KV-34xrb800 and it easily looks the worst of anything I've tried playing so far. My GF who loves LKS did a big WTF when she saw the picture quality because she is in the middle of playing it atm. She totally gave me the stink eye, lol. Here's hoping component cables do the trick, because right now the game blurs like a mofo whenever the screen scrolls vertically. There's also a weird horizontal distortion in the middle of the image whenever you move that's pretty distracting. I'm not sure why this game in particular is proving to be such a pain in the ass, because so far everything else looks reasonably serviceable, considering I'm running it at 480i until I pick up some new cables.

GhaleonQ

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Hooooo boy. I just tried hooking this game up to my new (used) Sony KV-34xrb800 and it easily looks the worst of anything I've tried playing so far. My GF who loves LKS did a big WTF when she saw the picture quality because she is in the middle of playing it atm. She totally gave me the stink eye, lol. Here's hoping component cables do the trick, because right now the game blurs like a mofo whenever the screen scrolls vertically. There's also a weird horizontal distortion in the middle of the image whenever you move that's pretty distracting. I'm not sure why this game in particular is proving to be such a pain in the ass, because so far everything else looks reasonably serviceable, considering I'm running it at 480i until I pick up some new cables.

It uses Aleksandr Petrov's art style, but it obviously couldn't render that level of complexity in a video game. The visual trick it uses to replicate the technique is uncovered when it's unnecessarily blown up. Bigger isn't better, people!

GrotesqueBeauty said:

I've got the exact same issue, it looks as though the whole screen has been smeared in oil or butter.

I've kinda given up playing it now because of how it looks which is a shame as I was loving it at first.

GhaleonQ

SmokinGunZ1981 said:
I've got the exact same issue, it looks as though the whole screen has been smeared in oil or butter.

I've kinda given up playing it now because of how it looks which is a shame as I was loving it at first.

You don't own a regular-sized television?

batbeg

That's a shame to hear. It's a bit of a frustration to unhook my Wii from the HDTV but I suppose it'll have to be done one of these days to replay LKS.

zigg

I thought it looked pretty decent on my plasma. It's always seemed over-bloomed no matter where I played it, but it wasn't any more offensive in 480p on that set than it was in 480i on the 10-year-old CRT.

GhaleonQ

SmokinGunZ1981 said:
Not really, the smallest I have is 42'' in the kitchen, it's a kitchen/diner.

Dang. That's understandable, then. I wish they had unlimited funds to turn out something like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtBE7zR4mGg . The oil painting style will look fantastic for at least 10 years or so on a regular television, but how many dedicated gamers are going to have one 10 years from now? ...I'm sad now.

zigg

GhaleonQ said:
how many dedicated gamers are going to have one 10 years from now?

10 years from now, they'll be running games like this in Super Ultra HD on emulators with crazy Soaring Eagle 96xyz filters and swearing it makes them look incredible, maybe even better than on today's displays.

And I'll be crying in the corner much like I am today. :lol

Oxx

My play-through was done on a 26" SDTV. I'm tempted to try it on a 42" LCD now to see what it looks like.

birdchili

phisheep said:
Press the Z button to turn on targetting. Makes it a hell of a lot easier.
maybe. sometimes i think it's helping, and sometimes i find the "stickyness" a bit annoying. mostly i think i just need to get better at the aiming part:)
phisheep said:
Two things.
First, practice your running-away skills. Running away is an important part of this game!
except that if you're fighting a quest boss and you get more than 50 feet away from them they regenerate all of their hp! it's a bit demoralizing.
phisheep said:
Second, when you meet a new guardian/boss, think about what you are doing - think about what and how many troops you need. Huge armies are not always best. For example, the first giant frog is much easier with just a few soldiers. So are the big mushrooms.
small army makes sense. hadn't really tried that. my citizens are used to their loved ones not making it back by now... it was for the glory of the kingdom, but i'm concerned about rumors going around that the king isn't a very good general.

i need to get myself a handful of hours and a goblet of deep red wine and give this another go. i'll like it a lot more once i stop losing so much:)

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I'm deciding between this game and Pikmin (with new Wii controls!!!!).

Which of the two is better for someone who likes micromanaging and clicking as opposed to just walking up to an enemy and watching my army kill it with little input from me?
I didn't like the Overlord demo.

GhaleonQ

IPoopStandingUp said:

Which of the two is better for someone who likes micromanaging and clicking as opposed to just walking up to an enemy and watching my army kill it with little input from me?

Little King's Story has more RPG elements and a town to manage, as well. Both require equal dexterity for batttles, but Pikmin unit types essentially act the same. Little King's Story.

The Hermit

IPoopStandingUp said:

LKS is the better game, regardless of your preference in this kind of game.

GhaleonQ

spidye said:
is there any word about a possible sequel? i really loved this game. especially the ending.

And since Punchline went out of business and bled into Marvelous and they already have the base idea, they may get around having to depend on a hodgepodge team. If the team's working on something else, though, it'll take years for a sequel.

Koomaster

I am really into this game so far, but I have a minor/major problem.

My citizens seem to love each other too much, I have several marriages to perform at the end of everyday. As a result, over half of my population is kids. I figured it was no problem as the kids would grow up, but it's been a month game time, and I still have the first kid. Do these kids ever grow up, is there a way to force them? My town looks like a kindergarden.

Koomaster

batbeg said:
It's been a good few months since I've played it, but I'm pretty sure getting a school turns kids into adults.
Oh, maybe I am just not far enough to get a school or something? I have put about 10 hours and have only defeated one king. I have been doing all the sidequests I get each day, and saving up to buy the shopping district.

Guess I will have a ton of adults when it's time for me to receive the school.

Koomaster

batbeg said:
I'm thinking the school is indeed in the shopping district. You'll get there.
Not in the shopping district, it's in the 'Royal' district - had to defeat some posion mushroom mini-boss first. My party got wiped out 4 different times on it, so I had decided to forget about him. Went back with only 3 people, and we were better able to run away from his poison attack. Once he was gone, whole new area to build upon.

It was getting kinda crazy, I have 108 citizens, but 58 of them are children. :lol

Time for them to grow up; although I might start to miss Alpoko Kindergarden.

I have to say, this game really draws you in, I find myself easily losing 2 hours at a time every time I turn it on. I've beaten 3 kings already, and done loads of sidequests! My latest castle upgrade is pretty swank; and now that I have several princesses, I can join in on the Princess Talk session each day which is pretty cute.

Effect

Haven't had time to really play this but quick question. Do you have to try to keep your people alive during fights or should one not stress if they end up dying ?

Oxx

I lost quite a few people in battle during the course of the game, but I'm pretty sure that 99% of them washed-up on the beach the next day.

There was only one funeral.

I was fairly careful, though. I was confident that everybody that died in a boss battle would come back alive, but I often restarted if I lost a few people in side-quests.

zigg

Koomaster said:
Not in the shopping district, it's in the 'Royal' district

Man, it's been awhile, but aren't there at least two districts you can build a school in? Or am I going nuts?

Effect

Oxx said:
I lost quite a few people in battle during the course of the game, but I'm pretty sure that 99% of them washed-up on the beach the next day.

There was only one funeral.

I was fairly careful, though. I was confident that everybody that died in a boss battle would come back alive, but I often restarted if I lost a few people in side-quests.

Are you notified when they wash up on the beach?

Oxx

I think it shows up on the news ticker at the bottom of the screen, but I'm not certain.

We just got the updated Nintendo Channel in Europe. According to the records tab, Little King's Story is my third most played game on the Wii.

GhaleonQ

Oxx said:
I think it shows up on the news ticker at the bottom of the screen, but I'm not certain.

We just got the updated Nintendo Channel in Europe. According to the records tab, Little King's Story is my third most played game on the Wii.

*high fives you*

Oxx

If we discount the 'non-games' that top my list, LKS is my most-played 'real' game, just edging out Twilight Princess and Radiant Dawn.

zigg

Mine was up there too (Wii Fit not considered, for obvious reasons) when I looked at my U.S. stats. I think Rune Factory Frontier might have just beat it out, though.

Mekere

Hmm, apparently it's in my top 5, behind Animal crossing (280 hours), zelda twillight princess (both me an my BF), Wii fit (Same) and mario kart (same).
So in a way, it's my second most played with 80+ hours ^^'

Koomaster

I'm almost at 30 hours now and pretty much done. Still have a few princess requests to fulfill.

Had the worst King Battle today. I took a small party (~15 men)out with me to explore and gather treasure. I even had a child in my party, so I was really not wanting to get into any fights at all. A while later after it has been a long time since I saved, I get a message that my inventory is full. So I am thinking, okay, I'll just head back to the castle - but hey, what's up he... *cutscene*

It was the last King Battle and I am totally unprepared. My only option was to defeat him because I was not going to lose all that treasure and time. My only saving grace was that I had a few Hardened Soldiers with me - but they did not last long
Apparently his chicken head had an attack that turned them into regular soldiers and a bunch of my other peeps into carefree adults
talk about making an against the odds hard fight even harder!

By the last part of the fight my men were being wiped out pretty quickly by the steam rolling onii entering the field. Made even worse were the food carrying onii which fed the boss causing him to gain health.

By the end, I was down to my last 2 guys, the boss had a sliver of health, and food carrying onii were on their way. Had to whip out my scepter to slow them down long enough for my last men to finish the boss off. It came down to seconds, if he had regained any health, no way would I have won. Felt pretty victorious that we were able to take him down so unprepared.

Had my 2nd funeral because of it, poor Jaden, really did die for a good cause. Made especially sure to attend his funeral to pay my respects; his sacrifice meant I could finally save all that progress/treasure I had built, plus taking down the last King. A very honerable death.

GhaleonQ

http://www.cubed3.com/news/13541 The whole interview's great! Read it!

Yoshiro Kimura said:
Regarding the main functions of each developer, we had to switch some roles around since what we initially had planned wasn't going well. In the end I took the role of the director, got the programmers and graphics team from Town Factory, and the script writers and main planner from CiNG. We rented out the large room on the 6th floor of CiNG's office and closed the door for a year.
The only role that didn't change from the start to end was the team at SHIROGUMI, which were in charge of the cut-scenes, the sound team, and the art designers.

Yoshiro Kimura said:
If people were to ask now if I fulfilled my role well, that will be a tough question to answer. If I were to rate myself it would be like this...

As a director, I'm satisfied with the game we created so it'll be 80%! However, as a producer I'm not satisfied. I failed. I'll say 40%.

Yoshiro Kimura said:
The decision to have the European release come first was not our original intent, but midway through production it was set that Japan's release would come after Europe and the US. So there was a possibility to have Europe and US to release simultaneously. So, why exactly did the European release come first? Well, this had to do with the publishers for each region, which I don't mean in a negative way. It was a result of the publishers thinking when the best release timing for that region would be and we didn't have any objections to it. I understand that both Rising Star Games and XSEED Games worked hard on this project and I'm grateful for their efforts.

Yoshiro Kimura said:
For Little King's Story my source of inspiration was from existing entertainment such as fairy tales, comic books, and movies, especially Saint-Exupery's "The Little Prince," and also the cow from Harvest Moon. Aleksandr Petrov's art animations inspired me as well.

Woop! Aleksandr Petrov, my favorite!

Yoshiro Kimura said:
We already have a game concept ready but...unfortunately, haven't gotten the "go" sign yet. With everyone's support we may be able to create a sequel.

To tell you the truth, until recently I thought it would be difficult to do on a handheld device. However, I came up with an idea that might work well as a handheld RTS action game...

And most importantly, maybe.

Yoshiro Kimura said:
Hello, I'm the perennial drunk, Kimura! *laughs* I still go drinking with Kudo-san at Vanpool and Nishi-san at Route24 so if some fun ideas come up we might end up creating a game together. So with some luck we might be able to do something *laughs*

I still love the Lovedelic era and Punchline era. Once in a while I do think about how much fun it will be to play those games on the current consoles. If we make it, will everyone play it? If there's a whole lot of users that love or want to play them on the new systems then we might bring it over...maybe I should use Twitter and start asking "Does anyone want to play MOON?" "Would anyone like to play CHULIP?"

But right now the feeling of making something new is stronger than porting any of my past titles.

Oxx

Handheld action RTS game, he says...

There are still copies of Little King's Story out there! You can purchase at Amazon, and I'm sure there are other places that are selling it at a great value too. It's a bargain, so I really want people to buy and play the game. If possible I want to go around Japan, US, and Europe to sell the game in person to all the Wii owners.

Poor Kimura.

Zihark

Finally finished this awesome game. Took me 50 hours all quests completed but tunesmith, 86 paintings collected. Last boss fight was way too long and bloated ugh. But, I got such a sense of accomplishment beating him after so many mistries. First RTS game I ever beaten this genre doesn't interest me aside from this and pikmin. Did a lotta things better then pikmin. I do think it could've used pointer controls- though. More peeps should buy and sing the praises of this game. Hoping for a sequel or a new game with these people.

Top Bottom