• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming January 2016 | Should old applications be forgot?

awp69

The GC bug really does suck. I actually haven't been able to play the challenges in Air Attack 2 because of it. I'm too lazy to go through a full restore though, especially since it doesn't permanently fix the issue (and the dev of AA2 says he's changing it so people can access those challenges without GC due to the problems :) ).

My girlfriend fell in love with A Dark Room. She's playing The Ensign but it's too hardcore for her.

Are there any other text-heavy story games that she might be interested in?

Just a thought - if people are forced to go out of their way to disable embeds and jump through hoops to get past the first page, maybe such an image/video-intensive layout isn't needed? Personally I just scroll straight past everything at the start of each new thread. Just seems to be a common thread that pops up every month. Not disparaging the effort you put in, but something to think about perhaps. Cheers!

I would prefer a list of links to interesting games or trailers, personally. The OP doesn't have to be dense or pretty.

killercow

My girlfriend fell in love with A Dark Room. She's playing The Ensign but it's too hardcore for her.

I would prefer a list of links to interesting games or trailers, personally. The OP doesn't have to be dense or pretty.

Sorcery 1-2-3?
Also:
- 80 Days
- Every gamebook by Tin Man Games
- Heavy Metal Thunder and Sol Invictus
- Papa Sangre (Not text but still amazing)
- Telltale Games

The puzzles are difficult but do you think she would like any of the Simogo games?

awp69

Debating on getting my glass fixed. Wanted my Mini 2 to last for a while since it still plays every game very well. A place near me will do it for $99.

Can't afford a Mini 4 right now.

Or I could just live with the cracks. My wife would probably be pissed though, saying I'm too careless...blah, blah, blah.

She's out of town so if I do it at all I wanna do it before she gets back. Looked at another Mini they repaired and it looked like new.

Matt Frost

Debating on getting my glass fixed. Wanted my Mini 2 to last for a while since it still plays every game very well. A place near me will do it for $99.

Can't afford a Mini 4 right now.

Or I could just live with the cracks. My wife would probably be pissed though, saying I'm too careless...blah, blah, blah.

She's out of town so if I do it at all I wanna do it before she gets back. Looked at another Mini they repaired and it looked like new.

Do it. After all, what's 99 dollars to keep you wife happy?

awp69

Never cracked a screen before, does that affect the response of the touchscreen?

Hasn't so far. I think depending on how bad it is, the glass could mess with the "digitizer". My cracks, thankfully, does not seem to have done that.

Do it. After all, what's 99 dollars to keep you wife happy?

That's what I'm thinking.

I mean it's my tablet, but she does use it occasionally so she'd notice and wouldn't be happy. I am a dumbass for taking it out of my case to play but it's definately more comfortable. And never had any issue at all. Just dumb luck that it slid between the recliner and the metal gears or whatever cracked it trying to get it out.

I use my case all the time when taking it on the go.

Matt Frost

Hasn't so far. I think depending on how bad it is, the glass could mess with the "digitizer". My cracks, thankfully, does not seem to have done that.

That's what I'm thinking.

I mean it's my tablet, but she does use it occasionally so she'd notice and wouldn't be happy. I am a dumbass for taking it out of my case to play but it's definitely more comfortable. And never had any issue at all. Just dumb luck that it slid between the recliner and the metal gears or whatever cracked it trying to get it out.

I use my case all the time when taking it on the go.

Just promise yourself that you will never let it out of the case ever again xD

Ouch. yeah I'd replace it. I have a small crack on the corner of my iPad mini - I put a tempered glass protector over it to keep the crack from spreading. Works well so far. But If I had a huge crack across the screen like that then I would definitely replace.

awp69

Ouch. yeah I'd replace it. I have a small crack on the corner of my iPad mini - I put a tempered glass protector over it to keep the crack from spreading. Works well so far. But If I had a huge crack across the screen like that then I would definitely replace.

Yeah, I'll just bite the bullet. Honestly when you are playing with it, it's pretty hard to see the cracks from the screen brightness. Still, they could get worse and possibly start affecting the touch capabilities.

Just promise yourself that you will never let it out of the case ever again xD

Indeed. ;)

nampad

Promised you guys my impressions of the PXN Speedy mfi controller before christmas. I still haven't gotten much playtime out of it but I think it is safe to say that the controller is quite good.

Everyone who loves the 360 controller and is looking for a mfi controller should get this one. The analog sticks are good and the dpad works well. Unfortunately, I prefer the Playstation layout and can't stand the dpad in the secondary position but objectively, it is good.
No complains on the face buttons, only the triggers could have more pull and don't line up perfectly with your index fingers.

The overall built quality is premium. My controller has some minor issue with the left analog stick being scratched internally when I do an upwards halfmoon circle movement but I guess this is just my bad luck. The Iphone clip works as intended, I just wish it would offer a bigger angle sometimes.

I think for players who want an mfi controller with a clip, this is a good choice. According to Afterpad.com you can clip a phone using the Nyko Xbox One clip to the Steelseries Nimbus now though.

I had the same impressions about Implosion and eventually gave up around the sixth or seventh level. I'd be interested to know if you carry on whether you find any improvements.

I will report back if I do.

That's basically a console AAA experience these days.

Maybe console experience shouldn't be thrown around so easily on iOS. Things haven't changed much since the last time I played more mobile games. The "console experiences" are a joke and the games made for the strengths of the platform offer quite unique experiences.

Tried Modern Combat 5 and Asphalt 8 and both are pretty bad too.

awp69

^^ Surprised to hear that for Asphalt 8 in particular. Yes, I hate the F2P aspect of it, but it's honestly one of my favorite racers regardless of console or mobile. The sense of speed is incredible and, at least running on a Metal capable device, the graphics are outstanding with not a single framerate drop on my iPad Mini 2 or iPhone 6.

Just my opinion. Part of it is missing a new Burnout on console, which this has a lot of. I still find it to be fantastic though. And you can play quite a lot of content before having to spend money.

MC5 is just okay though. I will agree there isn't a truly great first or third person shooter on iOS to compare with consoles.

Ohnonono

What are the best fantasy/sci-fi gamebook/ choose your own adventure things on the itunes store? iphone6. Want to maybe give one a shot!

What are the best fantasy/sci-fi gamebook/ choose your own adventure things on the itunes store? iphone6. Want to maybe give one a shot!
Sorcery series
80 Days
Heavy Metal Thunder / Sol Invictus

80 Days has the most expansive and most interesting world, and is the most free-form one. But the Sorcery games have more flavor text, each one getting larger and more intricate, with tons of choices across the three games

Lol, I just figured out that you can destroy the energy beam generators in the Emerald Nebula with grenades. I was freezing them and then quickly running past before they unfroze.

So now I've got all the orbs. Can I still play after relighting the sun or do I have to go for 100% completion now?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just spent ages getting Bitcoin billionaire to 1Bb in the future times one, but apparantly the achievement is 10bn? Did they change that - I'm sure it was only 1bb when I played it before. Even with 50 of all investments that's going to take too long to get and I don't know if I can be bothered to reset tons of times - already done that on the main era.

Wii Sports Tennis -esque 'Happy Tennis' coming to tvOS soon:

trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceRKYmvlzPo

6637996.jpg

7216527.jpg

3563344.jpg

I'm surprised Final Fantasy Record Keeper. thought people hated some SE f2p games?
Also, no idea what Idolmaster Cinderella Girl Starlight Stage is.

I'm surprised Final Fantasy Record Keeper. thought people hated some SE f2p games?
Also, no idea what Idolmaster Cinderella Girl Starlight Stage is.

I'm not that surprised about FFRK. It's on its second OT, and seems to have a fairly large and dedicated fan base on GAF. In a way I'm a little surprised there weren't more votes for it.

I am slightly surprised about Idolmaster, it isn't even out in English. I guess Android IM fans are that dedicated.

Heel

I'm surprised Pac-Man 256 got so many votes.

And annoyed that it pushed out Dark Echo from the top ten

It seems people listed the 2-3 games they played this year, rather than considering the scoring system. Some of the comments accompanying votes don't even support that they enjoyed what they listed...lol.

awp69

Hell is a Mountain Flower is free. I know there were a few that thought it looked cool so now you can give it a try. I bought it at launch but didn't like the swipe controls so curious what others think.

heringer

Having fun with Harvest Moon. I'm not comfortable recommending at $10, though, unless you are a big fan. The game is pretty lazy in terms of presentation. At $3 or $4 I would put this in the must buy category because they got the fundamentals right. The gameplay is solid and addictive since they focused on what makes Harvest Moon great. It just lacks the extra oomph and attention to detail.

It's an okay debut of the series on iOS. Hopefully it does well and Natsumi keeps improving.

Probably should be talking about this in the GoTY thread itself, but how about waiting until the voting is over. Then giving everyone one vote for anything that is still tied? And set like a 48 hour max to get that vote in? Then, hopefully, the will be broken.

I think I remember doing something like that when I did the Indie iOS GoTY on TA a few years ago.
Think we might have to do this. Need to do another recount but preliminary results:
- Horizon Chase, Final Fantasy Record Keeper tied for 3nd
- Hero Emblems, Dark Echo, Attack the Light tied for 8th
- Implosion, Her Story, Lifeline tied for 10th

Need to recount before doing anything, but yeah, that's how it's looking

Think we might have to do this. Need to do another recount but preliminary results:
- Horizon Chase, Final Fantasy Record Keeper tied for 2nd

I have:

Horizon Chase 41
Final Fantasy Record Keeper 40

and

Lifeline 16
Implosion 14
Her Story 14

Pachimari

You don't have to make another round really. With games who have equal points, just give them the same place on the list. Like:

1. Pac-Man 256 (41)
2. Downwell (40)
3. Her Story (22)
3. Lifeline (22)
3. Her Story (22)
6. Horizon Chase (19)

etc.

- Horizon Chase, Final Fantasy Record Keeper tied for 2nd

I have Downwell in second place, Horizon Chase third, and FFRK in fourth.
Lifeline has more points than Her Story and Implosion by my count.

To be clear, I don't have a programming script which I assume the other Voting threads use, so I'm counting each vote and adding the point values the old-school way

awp69

It would be nice if the ties made a clean 10 even if there's less than 10 placements (like only include #1 through #8 including a few ties).

Top Bottom