• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD: PS4 and XB1 shipped over 50 million

Welfare

I think this info deserves a new thread. People keep ignoring the crucial info. As if they secretly hoping the xbox1 is doing worse then it really is.

It all belongs in this thread seeing as AMD reported it. You could ask a mod to add it to the title.

ethomaz

Banned
Sony shipment is around 1-1.5m over what they sold.

PS4 ~37m shipped.

Now about Xbone I'm having a really hard time to believe they shipped over 20m... so I will stay conservative here:

Xbone ~19m shipped.

They have shipped ~20 million more than the 360+PS3 in the same time frame. 360+PS3 = 38.8m.
How do you get 38.8m? PS3 and 360 have different timeframes and PS3 wasn't AMD.

I think this info deserves a new thread. People keep ignoring the crucial info. As if they secretly hoping the xbox1 is doing worse then it really is.
We need to know what AMD means with same time frame... 360 and PS3 had different times.

Welfare

How do you get 38.8m? PS3 and 360 have different timeframes and PS3 wasn't AMD.

They are comparing shipments from MS/Sony to retailers, and it has to be from 2005-2007 for the 360 and 2006-2008 for the PS3 or else their comment on >50 million shipped and ~20 million more than the 360+PS3 would not corroborate.

ethomaz

Banned
January 29, 2016 is the date for Sony Earnings.

We will knows how many PS4 shipped as of Dec 31, 2015.

They are comparing shipments from MS/Sony to retailers, and it has to be from 2005-2007 for the 360 and 2006-2008 for the PS3 or else their comment on >50 million shipped and ~20 million more than the 360+PS3 would not corroborate.
So it is not the same timeframe... just look weird.

ethomaz

Banned
It's always going to be like that when comparing the XB1+PS4 to the 360+PS3 or else you are excluding a year from the PS3.
Edit - I'm getting all numbers off... I will check again.

360 shipment as of end of 2007: 17.7m
PS3 shipment as of end of 2008: 21.3m

Total: 39m

Edit - I guess the numbers are correct now.

slapnuts

Let's see if this helps AMD's stock prices.

Nope! Sometimes I tell myself that I should buy some stocks because it's so cheap haha

We did buy AMD stocks during the winter of 2013 right after the PS4/X1 launched but landed up selling them after stagnant performance but i some times wonder if it would of been better to be patient and keep our AMD stock shares.

Edit- My mistake, we bought them a month "before" they new console launch and kept them for about 8 months before selling.

Welfare

That sounds a bit too high for 2nd and 3rd territory regions.

Also noticed you added Canada numbers which are part of NPD according to NPD_muclair

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=192258563

NPD tracks Canada, but they are not included in the US specific reports, which is what the threads are about. The US portion of NA.

Also why does 7 million sound high? You have to factor in 24 months of sales data that are missing from 8 tier 1 countries, all of 2015 for France, the last 9 months of 2015 for Germany, and 16 months of 29 unaccounted tier 2 countries.

ethomaz

Banned
NPD tracks Canada, but they are not included in the US specific reports, which is what the threads are about. The US portion of NA.
US, Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

These are the 4 regions tracked by NPD.

BTW 1.1m for Cananda looks a bit optimistic to be fair.

Alo0oy

Banned
11m:7m is 57:43. 360 was 50:50 US:ROTW, and the Original Xbox was 60:40.

What numbers show that is impossible?

Considering the abysmal performance in Europe & Japan where 360 got most of its RotW sales from, I'm inclined to believe that 40% of the sales being RotW is impossible.

Welfare

Considering the abysmal performance in Europe & Japan where 360 got most of its RotW sales from, I'm inclined to believe that 40% of the sales being RotW is impossible.

So a worse ratio than the Original Shooterbox? I find that extremely hard to believe.

Welfare

It certainly wasn't 2 years post-laumch (through 2007).

17.7M shipped WW vs 9.15M sold in the US only.
And the 360 launched in the entire eurozone straight away, not almost a year later.

9.12m :)

Not counting potential amount of units in stock (>1m) that would be ~55:45.

Still not seeing how the Xbox One would have over 60% of its sales coming from the US as of 2015 when the ratio was ~60:40 when only comparing 12 other countries in the ROTW. Adding almost 30 more countries increases to the ratio in the US's favor? :/

The original Xbox didn't sell well, the ratio there is easily skewed.

That makes no sense. Where did it not sell well for the US:ROTW to only be 60:40? Are you assuming the US, because it did 14.5m units there.

How many countries original Xbox launched?
Only finding regions, and those were (including sold (doesn't identify whether sold through or shipped)numbers as May 10, 2006) NA (16 million) Europe (6 million) and Asia+Pacific [Australia+New Zealand] (2 million).

-Horizon-

Could it be possible that the big semi-custom win that is expected to be out in the second half of 2016 be about redesigned innards for the ps4 or x1? I'm not familiar with all this stuff, just want to keep expectations in check.

Raist

Banned
9.12m :)

Not counting potential amount of units in stock (>1m) that would be ~55:45.

Still not seeing how the Xbox One would have over 60% of its sales coming from the US as of 2015 when the ratio was ~60:40 when only comparing 12 other countries in the ROTW. Adding almost 30 more countries increases to the ratio in the US's favor? :/

Because sales at best kept the same pace in some countries, and slowed down in several others compared to the US.
Most of these 30+ countries are completely insignificant compared to the US too. I mean just look at sales in Japan.

ethomaz

Banned
Just a little more to think at the same time frame...

US: Xbone > 360 by 2m?
UK: Xbone > 360 by ~500k
JP: 360 > Xbone
Others Know EU countries sales: 360 > Xbone

It is a bit hard to believe Xbone did 50:50 like 360 when it sold well better in US and worst in most know EU countries plus Japan.

Welfare

Because sales at best kept the same pace in some countries, and slowed down in several others compared to the US.
Most of these 30+ countries are completely insignificant compared to the US too. I mean just look at sales in Japan.

Japan has not been an indicator for how well an Xbox console does in countries that are not the US/Major Euro countries. It accounted for less than 2% for both the Xbox and 360, and retailers in Japan have basically given up on the brand now, so it's no wonder it's doing so bad in Japan right now. Not a lot of retailers even stocked the system at launch.

Just a little more to think at the same time frame...

US: Xbone > 360 by 2m?
UK: Xbone > 360 by ~500k
JP: 360 > Xbone
Others Know EU countries sales: 360 > Xbone

It is a bit hard to believe Xbone did 50:50 like 360 when it sold well better in US and worst in most know EU countries plus Japan.

Who is saying anything about it being 50:50? It's not something unrealistic like 70:30 either.

US had a 61% share of Tier 1 coming out of the launch quarter. UK is easily Bone's strongest non-US market, but it seems to have fallen behind the US pace. We don't have recent data from the rest of Tier 1, but around the end of 2014, they were already behind the US. (UK was actually well ahead in late 2014, but has dropped off pretty dramatically since.) So US share of Tier 1 is certain to be up from 61% by some amount. Probably at least a couple of points given even UK appears down, but more than four would be a pretty large shift. 3% seems like a safe bet.

Tier 2 includes a fair number of countries, but we only have numbers out of Japan (65k) and China (71k in April). So those two have probably combined for less than 150k, and they probably represent the bulk of the Tier 2 sales, in much the same way US/UK make up the majority of Tier 1. With <150k for those two, at least 250k total for Tier 2 seems like a safe bet. Seems unlikely to be more than 500k though.

So, greener seems the more reasonable guesses based on the data we've seen, but take your pick, I suppose.

Screenshot%202016-01-20%2000.26.38.png

As a very lax sanity check, it seems like most or all of the green totals are something which someone with zero accountability and a presumably non-zero interest in making MS look good might describe to a journalist as "around 18 million." Probably also noteworthy that, "more than 18 million" wasn't used in that leak; a leak like that would more likely be generous than conservative.

Top Bottom