• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTX970 - future proof?

Herne

Yeah but how can I force a half refresh v-sync?

For Nvidia cards I use inspector, is there an equivalent for Amd?

Edit: Eh.. i was looking exacly at an Asus Strix r9 390x... xD why are you not satisfied?

As far as I can tell, Asus didn't do anything with the 390/X Strix cooler, just re-used the one from the previous generation. It's not at all suitable and prone to overheating. I would suggest MSI or Sapphire if you're looking at a 390 or 390X.

Maxximo

As far as I can tell, Asus didn't do anything with the 390/X Strix cooler, just re-used the one from the previous generation. It's not at all suitable and prone to overheating. I would suggest MSI or Sapphire if you're looking at a 390 or 390X.

It looks to me like the new cooler thats mounted on the 980ti? Is it just for appearances?

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Gave up replying to dr_rus because you can't force reality into someones personal beliefs, but you guys did great work sourcing the latest benchs. You guys are great.

Yeah but how can I force a half refresh v-sync?

For Nvidia cards I use inspector, is there an equivalent for Amd?

Edit: Eh.. i was looking exacly at an Asus Strix r9 390x... xD why are you not satisfied?

The cooler. It uses the same cooler as a Nvidia 980TI. It doesn't make good contact with the die. The best options are Gigabyte, Sapphire, MSI.

Look at this Sapphire:
temps3.jpg

I'm still running a 2500k @ 4.5ghz and am not planning on doing a full rebuild until next year. I'm thinking about replacing my 670 to play the newest games (just got The Division). Would a 970 or a 390/390x be a better purchase?

Crisium

I'm still running a 2500k @ 4.5ghz and am not planning on doing a full rebuild until next year. I'm thinking about replacing my 670 to play the newest games (just got The Division). Would a 970 or a 390/390x be a better purchase?

The Division tends to favour the 390 over the 970 according to benchmarks.

if you value performance go amd, if you value a lower power consumption go nvidia. heres a list of recent big games each vendor wins at. any games not listed are because its basically a draw.

nvidia wins
MGS
PCARS
Anno

AMD wins
evolve
division
hitman
black ops 3
mad max
battlefront
far cry 4
far cry primal
rainbow six siege
dirt rally
xcom 2
ryse
ashes of singularity
fable legends (canceled)

edit - 390x and 970 are in a diff price bracket and arent really comparable. there is no nvidia gpu in the same price bracket as the 390x. it kind of sits smack in the middle of the 970 and 980.

rrs

I went 4 years on my 6870, I can go at least that far with a 970. The big die shrink is going to make things real interesting, real soon. I wish I could had waited it out for the die shrinked GPUs, but my gpu died and trying to get a replacement without a new power supply (which died a month later, the irony) left me with just Nvidia.

to be honest, it's less "future proof" and more "in every last test PC ever"

Top Bottom