• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #184 - "The Beat"

Status
Not open for further replies.

StMeph

Google Docs just to keep everything organized across different computers. I don't like it much, but the syncing is invaluable.

Sober

I usually just use Scrivener for drafts, but Word (or any Word-like clone) is usually good enough for the short length.

I might sometimes use Final Draft for the final publish if only because it formats screenplays better. But Final Draft is crap otherwise. In other words, it's an industry standard for screenplays.

Red

Whoops.

Oh I don't mean anything by it, just that you know fiction takes many forms and novels aren't the end-all-be-all. Although to be fair with the level of ease that's possible to publish a novel I'd be remiss not to if I can find the time for it. But a screenplay is like another level of difficult, as your intention is to have it made.

I also did not go to film school nor am I really entertaining the idea. Good on those who have but I don't really know if there's much I can learn from doing a program on it, although I would like to be proven wrong (if only to terrify my poor life choices some more).
I majored in film production and felt really disappointed by the whole endeavor. But then, it was a program at a state university and not a film school, so who knows what I expected. The only advantage I can think for school over self-teaching is in networking opportunities. I don't think the education is necessary to become skilled at the art. That comes by doing.

I used celtx back then, but I think they moved to a pay model a few years ago.

MilkBeard

I just use OpenOffice. Been using it for years.

Just finding out about Manuscript format. I found a good link for it. Gonna try to type in that style now.

EDIT: I found a manuscript template for OpenOffice. I'm gonna test it out now.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I use word. Always have. Probably always will. As for formatting, I don't usually convert something to manuscript style unless I'm sending it to a place that specifically asks for it.

Mike M

Nick N
I use word. Always have. Probably always will. As for formatting, I don't usually convert something to manuscript style unless I'm sending it to a place that specifically asks for it.
Where would you submit that doesn't?

I do everything in manuscript format these days. Just saves time on the backend should I decide to submit.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Where would you submit that doesn't?

I do everything in manuscript format these days. Just saves time on the backend should I decide to submit.

Semitoken and nonpaying markets, a lot of semi-pro markets, small press anthologies. Manuscript is kind of a promarket thing, and even then i submitted to places that prefer blind submissions where there's no personal information on it at all.

On a completely and unrelated note, I never like Asimov's Science Fiction anyway.

For real though, they probably like you. Rejections don't mean your piece isn't good, just not what they're looking for at the moment. It pays to have markets you submit to consistently. I've gotten rejections saying they're glad I submit and want to see me keep submitting. Though, personal rejections are also one of the nice benefits of submitting to smaller places. Not guaranteed but a little more likely.

Ashes

Banned
Kind of OT, but what application do you all use for writing? Is there an "industry standard" as far as app is concerned?

A few years ago, I experimented to test whether there was any discernible difference what kind of program or method I used. I fully expected no difference, but surprisingly there was a difference.

Pencil/pen worked best. Just the act of being able to scribble through but still retain ideas on paper is probably what made the difference.

But I don't write using pencil/pen for any of these challenges.

edit: Also notepad works surprisingly well. Though I never use that either.

Mike M

Nick N
I was recently writing stuff by hand myself for something unrelated, and it reminded me how much I prefer to type for a host of reasons.

Red

I used to prefer pen and paper. The rise in my preference for typing is directly correlated to the maturation of cloud storage. Now I rarely write by hand. Most of what I write is typed via iPhone.

Nezumi

I just use open (libre) office for this challenges and convert with Sumatra PDF. For longer stuff scrivener is really awesome because of all the organizing possibilities though I sometimes feel like I'm doing more organizing than actual writing. I also do most of my initial brainstorming in my totally stylish leather bound note book. I think there is something almost meditative about writing by hand. And I really love writing with fountain pens.

Mike M

Nick N
Most of what I write is typed via iPhone.
God, how awful. So damned slow.

I just use open (libre) office for this challenges and convert with Sumatra PDF. For longer stuff scrivener is really awesome because of all the organizing possibilities though I sometimes feel like I'm doing more organizing than actual writing. I also do most of my initial brainstorming in my totally stylish leather bound note book. I think there is something almost meditative about writing by hand. And I really love writing with fountain pens.

Scrivener is situationally useful. Great for organizing prewriting and references, moving the order of scenes and chapters, compiling into various formats, etc. Not particularly useful just as a word processor, though.

Red

Typing on an iPhone is faster than by hand. Not as fast as with a real full keyboard but damn close. Plus I've always got it on me.

My iPhone typing speed is 70 wpm or so.

My story for this challenge was written entirely on my iPhone.

mu cephei

I have scrivener, but I find it a bit cumbersome to use. I like the double page layout of word/ open office. I often type out stuff in manuscript format (unless I'm being lazy/ in a hurry/ whatever) because (and this might be my imagination) I think I can view what I've written more objectively and critically if it looks just as it would on the page of a book. I think this is also why I like the double page layout. The format I write in does matter to me, I've tried notepad and my phone and didn't like it at all.

Ashes

Banned
I think there is something almost meditative about writing by hand. And I really love writing with fountain pens.

Oh god. Sista from another mother you definitely are.

---

I haven't tried voice typing, which would be interesting.

---

iirc I write about a 1000 words an hour.

MilkBeard

Sometimes I like writing on paper, but the speed with which I can vomit words on screen, especially for brainstorming, is key for me.

Red

Witchcraft!
6kbYXgY.jpg

Nezumi

Sometimes I like writing on paper, but the speed with which I can vomit words on screen, especially for brainstorming, is key for me.

For me it is the exact opposite. I like how writing by hands slows down the creative process and gives you the time to dwell on your ideas. I mean, the fact that you chose to compare your method to vomiting kinda says it all, doesn't it ;)

MilkBeard

For me it is the exact opposite. I like how writing by hands slows down the creative process and gives you the time to dwell on your ideas. I mean, the fact that you chose to compare your method to vomiting kinda says it all, doesn't it ;)

Everyone has their preference. I have ideas in my head, or ideas that come without knowing, and catching them sometimes takes initiative and steady effort. The easier it is to record them, the better (for me). Write slowly and I won't be able to get it all out, some slip away, etc.

Any 'slowness' comes from putting ideas out, and then stopping for the day, letting them sink in, and then returning with a more developed, revised viewpoint the next day. Just a way that works for me.

Red

One of the leading drivers for my move toward digital text is the spontaneity of it. If I have an idea, I can whip out my phone and type it down. If I realize suddenly why a section is not working, while I'm at work or on the john, I can make a change on the spot. That's luxury. I don't need to find some scrap of paper and a stick to to scratch down my idea. The ability to write at any time encourages me to do so, whereas when I relied on pen and paper I made writing into this ritual, I had a whole procedure: coffee there, just so, maybe wine, tray of oil, and bread, and cheese, total silence, or the slow soft sounds of instrumental tunes, my most comfortable pen, pages folded down neatly and layed flat so the inner edge of the notebook won't arc up. It was an ordeal. I spent so much time getting ready that I never wrote a thing. I used to stress about not getting the details right, not having the right environment, the right mindset. It was all excuses. But now I feel I can write through anything. Baby crying? Well, as long as I have a free hand. House on fire? I'll write a paragraph between tweeting updates amidst the ruin.

MilkBeard

One of the leading drivers for my move toward digital text is the spontaneity of it. If I have an idea, I can whip out my phone and type it down. If I realize suddenly why a section is not working, while I'm at work or on the john, I can make a change on the spot. That's luxury. I don't need to find some scrap of paper and a stick to to scratch down my idea. The ability to write at any time encourages me to do so, whereas when I relied on pen and paper I made writing into this ritual, I had a whole procedure: coffee there, just so, maybe wine, tray of oil, and bread, and cheese, total silence, or the slow soft sounds of instrumental tunes, my most comfortable pen, pages folded down neatly and layed flat so the inner edge of the notebook won't arc up. It was an ordeal. I spent so much time getting ready that I never wrote a thing. I used to stress about not getting the details right, not having the right environment, the right mindset. It was all excuses. But now I feel I can write through anything. Baby crying? Well, as long as I have a free hand. House on fire? I'll write a paragraph between tweeting updates amidst the ruin.

That's a good way to put it. When I make a set space, I kind of dally around and make excuses. It's better for me to just capture the ideas on the spot. I have a little notepad I keep in my pocket. There were a couple of times I got an idea and forgot to write them, and then they were gone, forever.

I'm amazed that you write stories on your iphone, though. The editing process is a pain so I always feel cramped and limited. But I can see the usefulness of getting ideas recorded, for sure.

Nezumi

If we're talking about writing in a wider sense, I do my best writing in the shower.

:) Swimming also works really well in that regard.

Edit: Oh my, that frog riddle thread is really getting heated. I feel bad for Izunadono. Three drafts and now he doesn't get a chance to post it.

Cyan

Banned
:) Swimming also works really well in that regard.

Edit: Oh my, that frog riddle thread is really getting heated. I feel bad for Izunadono. Three drafts and now he doesn't get a chance to post it.

Wait really? I bailed out after it passed 10 pages.

Edit: Oh I see. Yeah, don't get mad and start insulting other members. :/

Cyan

Banned
Yup. I gotta say though, by now I'm not really sure what people are still arguing about...

"Someone is wrong on the internet." Second only to "someone is saying I'm wrong on the internet." :p

Speaking of which, I want to know how the hell Crunched is so goddamn fast at iPhone typing. That's just wrong, man.

Denzel

Asking for a buddy, if someone is banned, even if they then can't get votes, can it still be read/critiqued?

MilkBeard

MilkBeard, you read Kerouac?

Nope, not yet anyway.

EDIT: Just did some research on it, and found his work would be an interesting read, so I reserved On the Road from my local library. I see he employs the style of writing where he just lets the story flow out unadulterated, and without edit.

mu cephei

Swift

Perhaps don't read this till after reading the story:
I don't, as a practice, believe in explaining my stories, but in this case I think I probably ought to. My first idea, which I mentioned here, I gave up on. My second idea, I gave up on. My third idea, I gave up on. It got to Thursday and I was pretty fed up. So I decided to start at the beginning and work through a writing unit I did a long time ago. The first exercise is to take a myth or fairy tale and break it down into kernel and satellite parts, then re-write it. I'm mentioning it because otherwise it would appear to be a pretty blatant rip-off of Milkbeards idea for the previous challenge. The fairytale was The Nightingale. I listened to the Halo 3 soundtrack whilst writing, and I think it did have an influence (I don't normally listen to music whilst writing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom