• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EG Yoshida interview: Will Sony allow cross-network play & what's next for PS VR?

foxbeldin

On cross platform with MS :
...because PC is an open platform it's easy but connecting two different networks is much more complicated so we have to work with the publishers[...] we have to look at technical aspects, could be the easiest, but we have to look at policy issues and business issues aswell.[...] We work with publishers.

About it happening once on FFXI:
[...]it was hard (emphasis on the word hard). Ask mr Yoshi Wada how it was like.

They already allow cross-network (PC, Nintendo, Android, iOS) if the developer implements it, not sure what else they have to say about it?

JawzPause

Before everyone hated on ms for not allowing cross network play, but now that they've opened the doors they've essentially given the responsibility to Sony and it seems like they don't know what to say or do.
Even if cross network play never happens this is great pr for ms

They already allow cross-network (PC, Nintendo, Android, iOS) if the developer implements it, not sure what else they have to say about it?

All they need to say is "If publishers want to do it, we will work with them to try and overcome the technicalities involved".

What he actually said implied that Sony may not want to do it.

Harlequin

They aren't dodging it, they're simply saying that publishers/developers have to come to them saying "we want our game to have cross-network play with Xbox Live" and then they'll help them achieve that. You have to read between the lines a little bit but I really wouldn't say that they're dodging it. Just not directly mentioning Microsoft of Xbox.

All they need to say is "If publishers want to do it, we will work with them to try and overcome the technicalities involved".

All I understood is they work with the publishers, not with MS obviously, so if a publisher wants to do it and need anything they'll talk it with them.

Famassu

Ummm, that's EXACTLY what he says:

"because PC is an open platform it's easy but connecting two different networks is much more complicated so we have to work with the publishers"

"... we have to work with publishers"

"... work with publishers"

Besides, isn't Rocket League already going to have full cross-platform play between all platforms, so why are people acting like Sony is still actively against/blocking this or something?

Shu's answer is basically this:

"No comment until we've internally discussed this with tech team, legal team and business leaders"

Ummm, that's EXACTLY what he says:

"because PC is an open platform it's easy but connecting two different networks is much more complicated so we have to work with the publishers"

"... we have to work with publishers"

"... work with publishers"

"we have to look at policy issues and business issues as well"

Abriael

Banned
Are people seriously expecting more than vague, conservative answers in three days?

This is something that will obviously have to be discussed extensively within Sony. There's no way in hell that Yoshida is going to take the initiative or giving a precise response one way or the other before that discussion happens, and it won't take three days. He isn't even in Japan, and deciding on Network policies isn't his job.

duckroll

I think it was the ominous mention of "policy and business issues".

I don't think it is ominous, just honest. At this point he doesn't know enough to promise it will be a done deal. MS announced one thing but we don't know the nuts and bolts of it on the development end. Considering how people are always so quick to call devs and execs liars when things they say don't pan out, isn't it unfair to expect him to promise something he doesn't have all the facts on yet?

Famassu

"we have to look at policy issues and business issues as well"
Again, wasn't Rocket League already announced to be doing this? So obviously Sony isn't actively blocking developers/publishers attempts to do this if they want to. Maybe they won't create some tools that make it as easy as to just flipping a switch or something, but I doubt they will block it if devs/publishers want to do it.

Are people seriously expecting more than vague, conservative answers in three days?

This is something that will obviously have to be discussed extensively within Sony. There's no way in hell that Yoshida is going to take the initiative or giving a precise response one way or the other before that discussion happens, and it won't take three days. He isn't even in Japan, and deciding on Network policies isn't his job.

Pretty much this.

This is something that will very obviously escalate to Andrew House to review and discuss... over a long stretch of time.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Ofcourse, it heavily depends on the implementation.

And it's Sony that holds all the cards here, not the other way around. Sony has always been on the side of cross-platform connectivity.

I think it was the ominous mention of "policy and business issues".

PS4 has exclusive online content in a cross network game.

How is that implimented?

How will that affect balance if not all players have access to it?

Does allowing a third party network carry any additional security risks?

What if the XB1 game has the exclusive content?

I wouldn't be too worried about that, but it's not just as easy as flicking the switch and they'll want to ensure there's no potential ramifications before being definitive.

I don't think it is ominous, just honest. At this point he doesn't know enough to promise it will be a done deal. MS announced one thing but we don't know the nuts and bolts of it on the development end. Considering how people are always so quick to call devs and execs liars when things they say don't pan out, isn't it unfair to expect him to promise something he doesn't have all the facts on yet?

Yes I agree to an extent. I do think though if MS had said "of course we must look at policy and business issues" they would have had people accusing them of not really wanting console cross-play.

I suppose my argument is, that IF as argued Sony have genuinely always been receptive to cross-play with Xbox there shouldn't be any need for stalling or consulting their policies.

I think the reality is, it is one thing being open to cross-play for PC but my suspicion is Sony won't want cross-play with Xbox for a whole variety of reasons. I could be wrong but the statement they have made so far is not totally indicative of their support, in my view at least.

I really hope this happens then I can play with all my friends from both consoles all the time.

madmackem

don't know why the ball is solely in sony's court. the ball is in everyone's court to make this happen.
This Sony already allow this, however ms played a blinder in the pr fanboi war by leaving just enough in the pr for those that want to and are willing to read into it what they want. Shu says what most level headed people have been they offer it support what developers want to do right now but when it comes to live and psn playing together he'd need more details on policy's etc from ms. Ms have given zero details on any details and policy's which was clever of them pr wise as they come out looking good for doing nothing but opening up on the two platforms they own.

SilentRob

Shu's answer is basically this:

"No comment until we've internally discussed this with tech team, legal team and business leaders"

Exactly. He is not giving a straight answer but that's entirely understandable. What's clear is that Sony isn't ready yet to generally say "Yup, we'd love to allow all our multiplayer games to connect with Xbox Live."

Microsoft was pretty clear on that front:

Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks.

As long as you don't expect "other consoles" to mean Xbox 360, which wouldn't make a whole lot of sense with pretty much no more games being released for it, this is a very clear statement.

Sony isn't ready to give that general statement. They keep talking around it, saying they have to talk to publishers (obviously it's a publsiher's decision to implement the feature, but in Microsoft's case it seams like they gave a general thumps up to anyone who wants to do it, while Sony still sticks to a case-by-case basis.)

He also descibes "policy and business issues", without explaining that too well, so this could really mean anything. Are these publisher's policy and business issues? Are these Sony's policy and business issues? We don't know.

But for now Sony does not go as far as Microsoft in generally approving cross-plattform play and I hope that changes in the future.

hao chi

Again, wasn't Rocket League already announced to be doing this? So obviously Sony isn't actively blocking developers/publishers attempts to do this if they want to. Maybe they won't create some tools that make it as easy as to just flipping a switch or something, but I doubt they will block it if devs/publishers want to do it.

Last I saw all that was announced is that X1 players will be able to play with PC players soon, and that they'd have announcements regarding other platforms shortly afterwards. Nothing has been confirmed, but it seems the obvious implication is that X1 and PS4 players will be able to play with each other.

Abriael

Banned

How is that implimented?

I wouldn't be too worried about that, but it's not just as easy as flicking the switch and they'll want to ensure there's no potential ramifications before being definitive.

There's also the fact that Microsoft's announcement included a little noticeable but relevant caveat, that Xbox Live players will have the option to play only with other Xbox Live players.

This option would possibly close a lot of doors. I can easily see it as a deal breaker for Final Fantasy XIV for instance.

madmackem

Yes I agree to an extent. I do think though if MS had said "of course we must look at policy and business issues" they would have had people accusing them of not really wanting console cross-play.

I suppose my argument is, that IF as argued Sony have genuinely always been receptive to cross-play with Xbox there shouldn't be any need for stalling or consulting their policies.

I think the reality is, it is one thing being open to cross-play for PC but my suspicion is Sony won't want cross-play with Xbox for a whole variety of reasons. I could be wrong but the statement they have made so far is not totally indicative of their support, in my view at least.

I really hope this happens then I can play with all my friends from both consoles all the time.
We arnt sure ms is willing to be ope with Sony yet people read other networks and consoles and ran with it. That could mean anything at all, we also don't know what stipulations or policy's this would involve, what if it's only to be done on azure servers only and they have to give ms keys to the psn?. Of course Sony wouldn't be open to that, we are dealing with ms alway always wait for the finer details before getting excited.

Famassu

We have to look at past precedence over here. People would be all up Microsoft's business because they have been accused of being against opening up their online platform for the kind of open multi-platform play that some (MMOs, mostly) want to have as recently as a few months ago & within the last few years.

All the while Sony has had cross-platform online play between pretty much everyone BUT Microsoft because of Microsoft themselves, so there's really very little reason to sound so pessimistic about this. Sure, maybe not all games going forward will have cross-platform online play because there will be issues with some policies & business side (i.e. exclusive DLC) but that might also be on publishers (not) willing to put in the extra work required (it's hard enough for them to get online working day 1 on separate platforms, it'll be harder to make it work between several different online platforms).

I don't see why you expected Sony to be ready for something like this. Maybe Sony didn't expect Microsoft to announce something like this so suddenly because of Microsoft never showing any intention of opening up Live. This is a surprise announcement after years of being a very closed environment, so of course Sony doesn't have some battle plan ready in a moment's notice.

VariantX

How is that implimented?

I was thinking of this. If one console has timed exclusive stuff, that alone would present problems, and that could potentially split the community depending on the nature of that content .

linkent

Are gamers here really that young that cant think of business perspective?
Sony cant give a 100% answer in 2 days.
Agreeing now will be difficult to backtrack on later date.
It is unclear how MS proposed XPlay is like.
If MS insists all XPlay must be connected to MS server only, it will be bad for Sony if they refuse it after agreeing.

Sony will of course need to discuss on the implementation of these with pub/dev.
They have been consistent with XPlay seeing that SE are discussing the possiblity of FF14 going to NX.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...rt_of_mmorpg_final_fantasy_xiv_a_realm_reborn
That is already proven that they doesnt mind crossplay with other platforms.

Really clever of MS to deliver this "inconsistency" of them into their favour.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Are gamers here really that young that cant think of business perspective?
Sony cant give a 100% answer in 2 days.
Agreeing now will be difficult to backtrack on later date.
It is unclear how MS proposed XPlay is like.
If MS insists all XPlay must be connected to MS server only, it will be bad for Sony if they refuse it after agreeing.

Sony will of course need to discuss on the implementation of these with pub/dev.
They have been consistent with XPlay seeing that SE are discussing the possiblity of FF14 going to NX.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...rt_of_mmorpg_final_fantasy_xiv_a_realm_reborn
That is already proven that they doesnt mind crossplay with other platforms.

Really clever of MS to deliver this "inconsistency" of them into their favour.

It also conveniently side steps the arguments about the lack of details on the actual implementation MS is proposing and questions like "wonder why they did not think about this wig Xbox 360". All went straight to "omg, Sony is so protective of PSN/vendor lock-in!!!" ;).

alpha69

He dodged that cross-network question.

Dodged? Really? Why not, I don't know, they haven't decided yet? This isn't really something they can just answer "yes" readily without considering what it might mean for their business and their partners.

He answered the question, he didn't dodge it. And the answer at the moment is they'll consider it. That's understandable considering it hasn't been that long since MS bought it up and this isn't just something they can decide for themselves. Devs and Publishers need to agree too.

Paganmoon

How is that implimented?

Also, what if the game uses Microsoft Azure on the XB1 platform (price sort of baked into XBL cost per user). Would there be a "cost sharing" for any PS4 user that happens to connect to an XB1 user, or if that particular game session is hosted on Azure services.

It's really a lot more complicated for two pretty closed systems to work together, than for one closed and one open working together, which is pretty much what I got from Yoshida's comments.

Edit: all in all, MS PR did great with their announcement, and got very positive feedback from it, putting the pressure and spotlight on Sony to answer all the questions regarding this.

His response seems reasonable to me. Everything needs to be looked at from a business point of view, technical, legal and what not. Exciting times ahead with the possibilities of more games being cross play whether pc or consoles and the vr on the horizon.

When Sony comes out and says we support it and rocket league on steam will be the first title I'll believe it.

That's the specific dev who wants it to happen right now.

Microsofts pr is godly I'll give them that. They basically shifted the situation on sony who's been open and doing it for awhile, and now people(well console warrior minded people) will quickly jump on sony for the situation...its brilliant. We've already seen it happen in the announcement thread. I'd love to sit in a Microsoft pr meeting one day.

JaggedSac

No. What was currently announced was that PC matchmaking can play with either PS4 players or Bone players, not both in the same game.

iceatcs

PS4 & PC on the open server online (Devs/publisher server) but will MS join them or rather their own, that is the big question.

Dodged? Really? Why not, I don't know, they haven't decided yet? This isn't really something they can just answer "yes" readily without considering what it might mean for their business and their partners.

He answered the question, he didn't dodge it. And the answer at the moment is they'll consider it. That's understandable considering it hasn't been that long since MS bought it up and this isn't just something they can decide for themselves. Devs and Publishers need to agree too.
It's a bit of echo chamber delusion to expect anymore concrete answers than the on Shu has given. It's a massive undertaking.
Hey don't give a real answer.

In the era of Twitter and Facebook all decisions must be made hastily and without consultation and everything must be done immediately.

I think?

ps3ud0

Outside of the announcement have we actually heard of any details how MS are approaching this? Have any other devs shown any interest?

Its like the whole NX deal where devs probably wouldnt mind putting games on the platform but without any clues what that platform is, its not like theyll be able to give a definitive answer without proper engagement from Nintendo.

Once we get more details I expect Sony will provide such a definitive answer - though I doubt it will be as systemic as MSs.

ps3ud0 8)

Top Bottom