• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tablets for Art (Surface, Yoga, iPad Pro etc.) Deals Thread [to be updated regularly]

BUMPED FOR TOP OF NEW PAGE

This deal is even better than current $100 off at MS store, which ends up being $1199 instead of normal $1299. Microcenter is selling it for $1049 (!!!) + $19 for shipping + tax

en-INTL-Andromeda-Devices-SU3-00001-SP01.jpg

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
I am getting temped by that surface deal, MC just opened a b&m store in VA too. Im tired fighting the drivers for my monoprice intuos knock-off.

I ended up selling the VAIO Z Canvas to a friend (no profit). At the end of the day, I'm more appreciative of the the physical real estate than pure power. Even with the 3:2 LCD, 12.3" felt a bit too constricting.

I'm sticking with my Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14. Even though it's 16:9, it's tall as the VAIO Z Canvas, but gives me 2 extra inches to the side. Also, having Wacom Wintab gives me no restrictions with the software. Now if only I can make the dual boot work properly, I'm all good to go, lol.

This thread is dangerous for me. I want to replace my 12wx but I dont want to replace my desktop.

I came across a 13HD on craigslist for 500 and a cintiq companion for 450 on craigslist. Both seem like a good deal? Ideally I would like a much bigger replacement but I dont want to spend too much.

z3phon

This thread is dangerous for me. I want to replace my 12wx but I dont want to replace my desktop.

I came across a 13HD on craigslist for 500 and a cintiq companion for 450 on craigslist. Both seem like a good deal? Ideally I would like a much bigger replacement but I dont want to spend too much.
Both seem like a great deal. I've got the 13HD and personally I'd prefer the size compared to a bigger one but if I could buy it again I'd get the companion instead so I could have it on the go.

Companion 1, yes? then go with the 13HD so your desktop can be used with it. Companion 1 can't be used as a Cintiq like Companion 2.

Also, the Companions are pretty terrible as mobile devices with the heavy weight without keyboard, whiny loud fans that constantly kick in, and terrible battery life.

Both seem like a great deal. I've got the 13HD and personally I'd prefer the size compared to a bigger one but if I could buy it again I'd get the companion instead so I could have it on the go.

Companion 1, yes? then go with the 13HD so your desktop can be used with it. Companion 1 can't be used as a Cintiq like Companion 2.

Also, the Companions are pretty terrible as mobile devices with the heavy weight without keyboard, whiny loud fans that constantly kick in, and terrible battery life.
I just realized I misread the craigslist results and the sellers are in other cities that I would have to drive 1hr+ to get to >_<

Thanks for the advice. I was curious about the companions but didnt realize Companions 1 cant be used like a regular cintiq. I think I'll be on the lookout for a 13HD in my city at or below 600.

A couple weeks ago a guy was selling a 22HD for 500 but apparently missed on responding to my email so it was gone by the time he actually replied to me ;_;

I just realized I misread the craigslist results and the sellers are in other cities that I would have to drive 1hr+ to get to >_<

Thanks for the advice. I was curious about the companions but didnt realize Companions 1 cant be used like a regular cintiq. I think I'll be on the lookout for a 13HD in my city at or below 600.

A couple weeks ago a guy was selling a 22HD for 500 but apparently missed on responding to my email so it was gone by the time he actually replied to me ;_;

Don't forget to search for 21UX. DTZ versions are super cheap. STK versions are a bit more expensive, but both are just as viable as 22HD.

BTW 21HD and 22HD have same amount of pixels effectively.

SuoGrey

Hey shogmaster you might wanna mention the cube i7 stylus. I believe it uses surface pro 2 screens with Wacom but comes with Core M and 4 gigs for like $344 on gearbest.

Hey shogmaster you might wanna mention the cube i7 stylus. I believe it uses surface pro 2 screens with Wacom but comes with Core M and 4 gigs for like $344 on gearbest.

it's a great gear for the price, but that's the normal going price atm. I think I've seen it low as $299. This thread is for special sales from the normal price.

BTW, if you see a sale price somewhere, do not wait for me. Post it in this thread. Just make sure to follow the formatting (The product, how much off regualr price, where it is on sale, a photo of the device, and some baseline specs. Also if you know how long the sale is going to be).

Spinluck

I'm scared to bite on the Cube i7, at that price it's impulse buy territory, but I am seeing some lag in some videos, but in others it looks mostly ok. Anyone that have it? The Vaio looks like it's the real deal, bummed I missed out.

I ended up selling the VAIO Z Canvas to a friend (no profit). At the end of the day, I'm more appreciative of the the physical real estate than pure power. Even with the 3:2 LCD, 12.3" felt a bit too constricting.

I'm sticking with my Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14. Even though it's 16:9, it's tall as the VAIO Z Canvas, but gives me 2 extra inches to the side. Also, having Wacom Wintab gives me no restrictions with the software. Now if only I can make the dual boot work properly, I'm all good to go, lol.

Is your Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14 your go to for producing work or just tinkering in general?

Didn't know they had Waicom digitizers in them, that or I just forgot. I'm still somewhat new to digital and I'm just trying to get my feet wet with something I'm comfortable with.

I'm scared to bite on the Cube i7, at that price it's impulse buy territory, but I am seeing some lag in some videos, but in others it looks mostly ok. Anyone that have it? The Vaio looks like it's the real deal, bummed I missed out.

Stop watching shitty videos that uses Photoshop to show lag on tablets. Photoshop ALWAYS lags on everything, including the VAIO Z Canvas. Use proper sketching all like Clip Studio Paint and you won't get any lag in reasonable canvas and brush sizes on the Cube i7.

Is your Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga 14 your go to for producing work or just tinkering in general?
I use it for 2D productivity. I also intend to start doing some 3D. That's why I got the VAIO Z Canvas, but most work I'll do is 2D so I prefer the bigger screen real estate.

Didn't know they had Waicom digitizers in them, that or I just forgot. I'm still somewhat new to digital and I'm just trying to get my feet wet with something I'm comfortable with.

You should buy based on how big you draw physically. If you tend to draw small, you should be aiming for small and portable. If you prefer to draw big, something like Thinkpad Yoga 14 is better. Just make sure you are getting the right model since one model of Thinkpad Yoga 14 doesn't have Wacom digitizer in it.

OK, this is not a sale, but I didn't get to introduce this tablet in this thread yet, and it is a very compelling device.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-pavilion-x2---12-b020nr-(energy-star)-t6s89ua-aba

T1E48EA-ABU_2_500x367.jpg

It has a very functional keyboard dock that effectively turns it into a laptop and is starting at only $599 with the keybaord dock and pen. The parts are typical for these low cost Surface pro alternative scene (Core M3 ~ M7, SATA M.2 SDD up to 256GB, upto 8GB of RAM), but I love the fact that it has Wacom AES digitizer.

The 12" LCD's resolution is 1920x1280 3:2 IPS, which is just about perfect for a 12" with no UI scaling needed. Retina whores look elsewhere. You also get full size USB-A port along with USB-C (charging duties also), and uHDMI.

There is also a Cherry Trail Atom version starting at $499, but why bother when $100 more gets you Core M, eMMC to SSD upgrade and pen packed in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZjo_Rdo9Po

Phoenix

Is core M really sufficient for most purposes? I've been looking at the various options but almost always ignore the core M and look at the i5.

Maximo

Interested in the Cube i9 and if they add stylus support, any one have experience with the chinese made tablets for drawing and just general use?

Is core M really sufficient for most purposes? I've been looking at the various options but almost always ignore the core M and look at the i5.

Unless the operation being performed is of a sustained duration (for longer than say 10 minutes, such as processing long videos), you won't notice the difference between Core M and Core U systems. Core M is simply modified Core U designed for operating with lower voltage. As long as there is thermal headroom, Core M will behave like a Core U.

Phoenix

Unless the operation being performed is of a sustained duration (for longer than say 10 minutes, such as processing long videos), you won't notice the difference between Core M and Core U systems. Core M is simply modified Core U designed for operating with lower voltage. As long as there is thermal headroom, Core M will behave like a Core U.

I need to be able to perform Unity builds in reasonable amounts of time on the go but also wanted to have the ability to have a good digitizer for drawing, otherwise I'd just go preowned-i5 MacPro.

Pre owned Mac Pro isn't going to let you draw on the screen in any case without a Cintiq so I don't know why it's your fallback. Plenty of 2in1s and convertibles that can let you work with Unity and also lets you draw on the screen for the price of a used Mac Pro.

SuoGrey

OK, this is not a sale, but I didn't get to introduce this tablet in this thread yet, and it is a very compelling device.

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-pavilion-x2---12-b020nr-(energy-star)-t6s89ua-aba

T1E48EA-ABU_2_500x367.jpg

It has a very functional keyboard dock that effectively turns it into a laptop and is starting at only $599 with the keybaord dock and pen. The parts are typical for these low cost Surface pro alternative scene (Core M3 ~ M7, SATA M.2 SDD up to 256GB, upto 8GB of RAM), but I love the fact that it has Wacom AES digitizer.

The 12" LCD's resolution is 1920x1280 3:2 IPS, which is just about perfect for a 12" with no UI scaling needed. Retina whores look elsewhere. You also get full size USB-A port along with USB-C (charging duties also), and uHDMI.

There is also a Cherry Trail Atom version starting at $499, but why bother when $100 more gets you Core M, eMMC to SSD upgrade and pen packed in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZjo_Rdo9Po

I think the pen was a mistake on HP's side looks like the site doesnt mention it coming with the pen anymore also the amazon reviews 2 of the 3 reviews state no pen came with it. It is 570 now tho so mini sale?

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Pi day 3.14 (march 14) sale at the Microsoft store
3 Dell laptops are on sale for 31.4% off today

QNNcy5h.jpg

Dell Inspiron 13 i7 $685.31
13.3-inch Full HD touchscreen
Intel Core i7-6500U
8GB memory/256GB SSD
vdwydvv.jpg

Plus $30 for the active pen.
x5wQUpk.png

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store...0?icid=Salepage_A34K_ModF_PC_PiDay_DellInsp13

Thought others looking for an active stylus tablet might want to know. The non touch xps 13 is also on sale. If it wasn't 16:9 I think I would jump on this now. Still casually looking for something to draw/re-touch photos on.

For some reason it comes with a capacitive stylus, but has the ability to support a superior active stylus.

After researching today I found that starting with the gen 6 refresh of this laptop, Dell no longer supports the active pen. Previous generations do look safe to buy though.

Editor's Update, Jan. 2016: Dell has removed the active pen feature from the Inspiron 13.

Lisa Gade: All, I've spoken with the Dell product team Jan. 2016, and the active pen feature is no longer available on the Inspiron 13 SE. It seems it was removed with the Skylake refresh. If you buy the older model we reviewed, then you'll get the pen capability, but the current version offered on Dell's website and at retailers with Intel 6th gen CPUs does not have the feature.

Dell has instead added the active digitizer/digital pen capability to the Inspiron 15 (7568).

http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Dell-Inspiron-13-7000.htm

Digitizer, pressure sensitivity, n-trig, synaptic, wacom, touch and so on seem to still be crazy confusing buzzwords for marketing and the general public.

Xun

An iPad Pro would be perfect for me if I had the ability to link it officially to my Mac.

Astropad I'm sure is fine, but it would be great to have official support.

snacknuts

we all knew her
I don't know know if this is the best place to ask, but I have a Surface Pro 3 and I'm looking for some 2D animation software I can try out for hobby purposes. Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

Any recommendations for a laptop with a nice 4K display? I do a bit of photo editing and I was looking at some of the new 4K screens at Best Buy the other day and they are stunning.

WillyFive

I don't know know if this is the best place to ask, but I have a Surface Pro 3 and I'm looking for some 2D animation software I can try out for hobby purposes. Any recommendations that won't break the bank?

Tupi is free and easy to use, but it doesn't have a touch interface.

Clip Studio would be the best and cheapest one that costs money, but it is designed for professionals so there is a bigger learning curve.

Hopefully the 10" iPad Pro rumor is true, and hopefully that they don't price it close to 13" iPad Pro for sake of the "Pro" moniker.

I was hoping that the iPad Air would simply get the updated digitizer to allow Apple Pencil usage. It's beginning to look like Apple wants to charge for the digitizer and not much else.

Honestly, the current iPad Pro should only cost around $200 more than the equivilent stoage iPad Air WITH the Pencil included.

Etzer

I just need something that's on par with the 2014 Galaxy Note tablet.

Yeah, the Pro is your only option if you want something comparable to the Note for drawing.

With any of the other iPads, your only option would be to get something like a Jot Touch stylus, but I don't know if that's any good.

You could make do with any of their cheaper options without pressure sensitivity like the regular Jot Mini and Pro, but they're a considerable step down from the Note.

Ambient80

iPad Pro 12.9" version is $100 off at Best Buy. That discount will pay for a Pencil to go along with it! :)

Oh and the 128GB with cell is $200 off at Best Buy as well.

Costco is selling the Core M5 / 8GB RAM /128GB SSD version of Miix 700 I talked about earlier in this thread for ridiculous $600! For comparison, Lenovo sells this model for $899 at Lenovo.com This is Costco member only sale.

http://www.costco.com/Lenovo-Miix-7...-M5-|-FHD+-2160-x-1440.product.100229662.html

This deal is too f'n good, so I had to pull the trigger. I ALREADY HAVE TOO MANY TABLETS!!! I'll probably end up selling my Surface 3.

CostcoMiix700_zps0pklyigc.jpg~original

Also, I'm 99% sure this unit does not come with a pen. Here's the link for the pen from Lenovo:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/4X80H34887/460/41E9A3C3FB5A45A9AC47C56812E4188C#4X80H34887

EDIT: Just a reminder that this model makes it very easy to get to the SSD and replace it. Only few screws let's you pop the back to access it, if 128GB is too little.

EDIT #2 SALE EXTENDED TO 4/30!!

Mr.Pig

What would be the best tablet to get for someone who works with Toon Boom Harmony?

Is there a way I can plug the tablet into the computer and use it like a Cintiq?

If you can't afford a cintiq then look at some unknown brands that frenden.com reviews.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
FUCK!! The Miix 700 sold through Costco doe NOT have pen capable digitizer. It's going back

EDIT: HOLD THE PHONE! It just required a firmware!

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/tablets/miix-series/miix-700-12isk/downloads/DS112177

FULL PRESSURE PEN ACTION!! :D :D :D

lol, well glad you dodged that bullet.

$200 manufacturer&#8217;s discount is valid 2/26/16 through 4/30/16. While supplies last.

It looks like the deal will last until 4/30 now? The 3:2 aspect ratio is really nice and making me ponder.

n0razi

let me know when someone makes:

- windows
- ipad mini size/form factor (8" 4:3 etc)
- QHD/250+ ppi
- coreM
- passive wacom input

the cube i7 stylus comes real close

all the 8"ers are trash specs and the 10-13"ers are too bulky

Just how good is the Miix 700, Shogmaster? Better than the equivalent Surface Pro 3/4? I'm in the market for one or the other, and am looking for a good deal. Are there any detailed reviews of the Lenovo?

Maximo

Costco is selling the Core M5 / 8GB RAM /128GB SSD version of Miix 700 I talked about earlier in this thread for ridiculous $600! For comparison, Lenovo sells this model for $899 at Lenovo.com This is Costco member only sale.

http://www.costco.com/Lenovo-Miix-7...-M5-|-FHD+-2160-x-1440.product.100229662.html

This deal is too f'n good, so I had to pull the trigger. I ALREADY HAVE TOO MANY TABLETS!!! I'll probably end up selling my Surface 3.

CostcoMiix700_zps0pklyigc.jpg~original

Also, I'm 99% sure this unit does not come with a pen. Here's the link for the pen from Lenovo:

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdetails/4X80H34887/460/41E9A3C3FB5A45A9AC47C56812E4188C#4X80H34887

EDIT: Just a reminder that this model makes it very easy to get to the SSD and replace it. Only few screws let's you pop the back to access it, if 128GB is too little.

EDIT #2 SALE EXTENDED TO 4/30!!

Daaaaam wish there was a deal like that in Australia really good.
Someone ship me it hahah, still keeping my eyes out for any decent Chinese tablets.

Just how good is the Miix 700, Shogmaster? Better than the equivalent Surface Pro 3/4? I'm in the market for one or the other, and am looking for a good deal. Are there any detailed reviews of the Lenovo?

I didn't do a clean install because I think I will be replacing the SSD with a bigger one (one of the unique features of the Miix 700 is the ease of getting in to the inside. Just pop the back plate with 6 screws).

So there were some Lenovo crapware I had to uninstall, and Chrome keeps shutting down for some reason, but other than that little weirdness, this thing is a great Surface Pro 3 clone! Even better than SP3 because it's fanless and has MUCH better pen.

First night I got alomst 7 hours on Performance mode at 25% brightness (because in Balanced, I can feel slight lag on the pen), doing drawings and surfing and movie watching etc.. I think you can easily get well over 8 hours on Power saver, and almost 8 on Balanced mode.

Pen action is among the best I used. Sure, it still wobbles a bit drawing extremely slowly in diagonal lines like all Capacitive based active pens, but pressure curve is fucking butter and accuracy is great. No edge drift or jitter of the Wacom EMR pens.

12512783_1108464572507396_1107603716891507574_n.jpg

I will do a comprehensive video review in coming days.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Reconditioned Spectre x360 on sale for $799.99 from woot today.
IDHXBxx.png

HP - Spectre x360 2-in-1 13.3" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i7-6500U - 8GB Memory - 256GB mSata SSD - Ash Silver - QHD 2560 x 1440 16:9

http://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-spectre-x360-13-intel-i7-qhd-convertible-2?ref=cp_cnt_gw_dly_img

Youtube review of digitizer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PMPjxQly1s

Looks like a decent deal, if you don't mind 16:9, or that it is Reconditioned. Best buy has same model new for $1,249.99.

Reconditioned Spectre x360 on sale for $799.99 from woot today.
IDHXBxx.png

HP - Spectre x360 2-in-1 13.3" Touch-Screen Laptop - Intel Core i7-6500U - 8GB Memory - 256GB mSata SSD - Ash Silver - QHD 2560 x 1440 16:9

http://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-spectre-x360-13-intel-i7-qhd-convertible-2?ref=cp_cnt_gw_dly_img

Youtube review of digitizer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PMPjxQly1s

Looks like a decent deal, if you don't mind 16:9, or that it is Reconditioned. Best buy has same model new for $1,249.99.

Hey guys, FYI on that Spectre: It uses Synaptics digitizer and pen. While it's not bad, it's not as good as Wacom nor N-Trig.

Also, HP's Synaptics pen is worse that Dell's. Since the unit does not come with pen, order Dell's pen (but be careful that you are ordering the Synaptics and not the Wacom AES. Dell calls both "Active Pen"). You might be able to find the Dell's pen for around $25 on eBay, which is much better than HP's price of $60.

Top Bottom