• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Nintendo Thread: Mii Nintendo, U Nintendo, Wii Nintendo

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if there's an OT for Twilight Princess Picross of all things, but I'll at least post this for anyone on the edge of wondering if it's worth it. Also you can post stamps of the puzzles you complete.

WVW69jEEuEw6rbENs4

Also the music kind of sounds like it's dying at points. It's really strange and I kind of doubt that was a thing in the original piece.

Woah is this official?

If so... lol Nintendo.

foltzie1

Regardless, seems ridiculous to exclude people who prefer physical copies. Their previous rewards system included physical copies, why not this one? As some one who made platinum every year with club nintendo, this new account system isn't going to give me the same benefits strictly because I don't want to go digital for most of my games.

It's just unfortunate.

Would you like to sell me your code?

cyba89

So do people in europe also get that Club Nintendo loyality mail? Haven't received anything yet.
I'm 5 points away from WarioWare.

Chopper

Cross-post in from another thread, but I am not happy with the stylus controls in Twilight Princess Picross. Why are they toggling on and off whenever I let go of a direction?!

TheMoon

So do people in europe also get that Club Nintendo loyality mail? Haven't received anything yet.
I'm 5 points away from WarioWare.

Yes but it's for signing up to be notified about the new loyalty program. Not specifically for being a CN member before.

iphys

Hit 1k but don't want Zelda Picross or Warioware.
Here's hoping they cycle items relatively quickly...

I honestly wouldn't expect them to give away a series of games for platinum points since you can earn them so easily without spending a dime. Probably the only reason they're doing this now is to get people hooked up with the new program and miitomo and try to sway all the smartphone gamers into then buying a 3DS to play the free games on. The 15% discounts look more like the sort of uselessness to expect in the future from platinum points, so I would definitely think about redeeming for those free games as the expiry approaches if there's nothing else appearing before then.

platinum rewards are fucking trash, why even bother with it? :| even the 30% off codes (which still isn't a great discount compared to literally every other site that sells games) is only for gold points.

Griss

platinum rewards are fucking trash, why even bother with it? :| even the 30% off codes (which still isn't a great discount compared to literally every other site that sells games) is only for gold points.

The hell? I've earned $7.50 off Yoshi's Wooly World and I haven't even done or bought anything. How on earth is that trash?

How do I redeem the code for the Club Nintendo Loyalty account?

Click menu on the top left of the screen, then select 'redeem a point code' from the drop down list.

Yes but it's for signing up to be notified about the new loyalty program. Not specifically for being a CN member before.

Boo!
What was the sense in signing up if you were an ex-member, pre-registered for Miitomo, already made a Nintendo Account, etc.
Seems like they should just send it to everybody who had an NNID.

I honestly wouldn't expect them to give away a series of games for platinum points since you can earn them so easily without spending a dime. Probably the only reason they're doing this now is to get people hooked up with the new program and miitomo and try to sway all the smartphone gamers into then buying a 3DS to play the free games on. The 15% discounts look more like the sort of uselessness to expect in the future from platinum points, so I would definitely think about redeeming for those free games as the expiry approaches if there's nothing else appearing before then.

Good point, this is now the plan!
I'm in no rush for anything on offer (except for the Mario suit which is calling to me) so I'll just hang on to them for as long as possible on the off-chance anything else 'big' goes up.

I have WW: Touched on Cart (+no DSi space on my 3DS) and am Picross'd out after the e series so they're just not doing it for me :(
I too can see an increase of discounts over outright free stuff in the future...

I finally got my email from Nintendo with a code for some points! (NA)

I was going to buy Ocarina of Time for $19.99, but that's only worth 20 points. I can get more points if I buy some cheaper games that are worth 10 points each. Funny how that works.

iphys

The discounts are especially sad because Nintendo often put games on sale for 30% off anyway. If they're going to do all their sales through My Nintendo, then that means we now need to jump through hoops just to get 15% discounts and actually have to spend a decent chunk of money to get 30% off a game.

zroid

Banned
Haha I totally forgot I had a 2nd club nintendo account. So they sent me another 200 points code. :eek:

edit: welp never mind, I can't redeem them because it's for the same thing

georly

Was able to get TP Picross thanks to Nintendo's email with the 200 free coins. Thanks, Ninty!

Oh man, thank you. I trashed that email because I though it was just another ad email. Had no idea it had a code at the bottom. Twilight princess picross get!

The discounts are especially sad because Nintendo often put games on sale for 30% off anyway. If they're going to do all their sales through My Nintendo, then that means we now need to jump through hoops just to get 15% discounts and actually have to spend a decent chunk of money to get 30% off a game.

Well, the some of the ones on sale haven't ever gone on sale. Majora, for example. This is basically "on sale earlier, for you, if you give us some coins." Usually takes 2-3 years or really bad sales for them to go on sale.

The hell? I've earned $7.50 off Yoshi's Wooly World and I haven't even done or bought anything. How on earth is that trash?

Click menu on the top left of the screen, then select 'redeem a point code' from the drop down list.

Thank you! I was trying that, but it looks like I couldn't copy/paste the code. Got it now.

Anyone know if TP: Picross works more like the original DS Picross or Pokemon Picross?

I didn't like Pokemon Picross because it didn't let you know if you made a mistake or not. I'm not great at it and the original always buzzed you if you made a mistake and put a X on that square which helped get me on the right track.

Kinsei

Banned
Picross is fun and it seems to have a lot of content for a free game.

Anyone know if TP: Picross works more like the original DS Picross or Pokemon Picross?

I didn't like Pokemon Picross because it didn't let you know if you made a mistake or not. I'm not great at it and the original always buzzed you if you made a mistake and put a X on that square which helped get me on the right track.

It lets you know if you make a mistake or not. For anyone that doesn't like it you can disable it in the options menu.

TP Picross stylus controls fucking SUCK!

I had no issue with them at all? You just touch the block you want to fill, and use up or down on the d-pad to switch between fill and x.

It has three options to make it easier, checking if the answer is wrong, a roulette thing at the start to auto fill rows in, and a hint system that highlights rows that you should look more closely at.

It's an option you can click on or off in the menu in TP Picross. I believe it's on by default, so you'll be fine.

I had no issue with them at all? You just touch the block you want to fill, and use up or down on the d-pad to switch between fill and x.

They've definitely changed them. In every other Picross game you hold up or down on the D-pad to switch between Fill and X; in TP Picross it's now a toggle. So if, say, you Fill one square, let off the D-pad, then find another square you want to Fill, the second time you press up on the D-pad you'll be turning off the Fill function. It's a real pain if you've built up the muscle memory from playing literally any other Picross game, and as far as I can tell there's no option to change it back to the normal way.

maxcriden

My Nintendo Value Breakdown & Tips: Part 3

Pt. 1: http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199769428&postcount=20
Pt. 2: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=199843474&postcount=400

Just out of mild interest, I thought I'd do a breakdown of what the relative value between rewards is. I'm excluding Miitomo rewards from this. And themes, since you can get those by practically accidentally clicking a couple times on the site. :p

Lower points spent per dollar = higher value.

Discounts (Plat)

15% Discount on The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Wii U) - $7.35 value @ 750 point cost. You're spending 102 points per dollar.

15% Discount on Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U) - $7.35 value @ 750 point cost. You're spending 102 points per dollar.

15% Discount on The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) - $6 value @ 600 point cost. You're spending 100 points per dollar.

15% Discount on Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS) - $4.5 value @ 450 point cost. You're spending 100 points per dollar.

15% Discount on Super Mario 3D Land (3DS) - $4.5 value @ 450 point cost. You're spending 100 points per dollar.

Games (Plat)

My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3DS) - $6 value @ 1000 point cost. You're spending 167 points per dollar.

Wario Ware: Touched! - $10 value (based on DS VC prices on Wii U - this is the only DS retail game on 3DS) @ 1000 point cost. You're spending 100 points per dollar.

--

Discounts (Gold)

30% Discount on Splatoon (Wii U) - $18 value @ 140 point cost. You're spending 7.8 points per dollar.

30% Discount on Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Wii U) - $12 value @ 100 point cost. You're spending 8.3 points per dollar.

30% Discount on The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D (3DS) - $12 value @ 100 point cost. You're spending 8.3 points per dollar.

30% Discount on Ultimate NES Remix (3DS) - $9 value @ 70 point cost. You're spending 7.8 points per dollar.

30% Discount on Punch-Out!! (Wii via Wii U) - $6 value @ 50 points. You're spending 8.3 points per dollar.

Games (Gold)

Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii via Wii U) - $20 value @ 230 points. You're spending 11.5 points per dollar.

Super Mario 64 (N64 via Wii U VC) - $10 value @ 90 points. You're spending 10 points per dollar.

New Super Mario Bros. U DLC: New Super Luigi U (REQUIRES NSMBU, is not separate) (Wii U) - $20 value @ 170 points. You're spending 8.5 points per dollar.

Pikmin 3 Mission Mode DLC Map Pack 2: Battle Enemies Stages 7-10 (Wii U) - $2 value @ 20 points. You're spending 10 points per dollar.

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (3DS VC) - $4 value @ 35 points. You're spending 8.75 points per dollar.

Metroid Fusion (GBA via Wii U VC) $8 value @ 60 points. You're spending 7.5 points per dollar.

Super Punch-Out!! (SNES via Wii U VC) - $8 value @ 70 points. You're spending 8.75 points per dollar.

--

Conclusions

A couple take-aways from this. The point values for the Gold are of course much lower. This is because the points themselves are much pricier to come by (vs. the Plat points which are free). So anything you can get from the Plat points essentially constitutes free money/digital goods. If for some reason you need to ration the Plat points, WWT is a much better deal than TP Picross.

With regards to the Gold points, bear in mind that 1 gold point may cost you anywhere from 50 cents to 1 dollar. DKCR is the worst value per points spent (11.5 ppd) *and* it costs $230 spent to get the coins it costs you to get the game, whereas Metroid Fusion is the best value per points spent (7.5 ppd) *and* at up to $60 spent to get the coins it costs you to get the game.

If I've messed up any of this math, please don't hesitate to correct me. Thank you.

Picross is fun and it seems to have a lot of content for a free game.

It lets you know if you make a mistake or not. For anyone that doesn't like it you can disable it in the options menu.

Yes! Thanks! Probably going to spend my points on that bad boy then.

Morts

My few minutes with Zelda Picross was slightly maddening after Pokemon Picross as the d-pad toggle (for switching between filling squares and placing X's) has changed from a 'hold' to a 'switch'.

trebbble

Are there button controls? I preferred them in Pokemon Picross. If not, I'll probably pick up one of the 'e'series.... There's button controls in that game right?

Chopper

My few minutes with Zelda Picross was slightly maddening after Pokemon Picross as the d-pad toggle (for switching between filling squares and placing X's) has changed from a 'hold' to a 'switch'.

This. As a Picross veteran, it is extremely jarring, and counterproductive.

Fair enough. Enjoy! Picross is awesome.

I, on the other hand, will be resorting to button controls, for the first time ever.

You can get used to these controls. I've already ploughed through all the regular Picross puzzles. It just feels... clumsy. It's so bizarre that they'd change the most basic system of the game after all this time and not even provide the option to switch it back to the way every other Picross game works. It's not even an upgrade; toggle controls are just straight up worse than regular hold controls.

Fair enough. Enjoy! Picross is awesome.

I, on the other hand, will be resorting to button controls, for the first time ever.

I'm not sure why I've never played a Picross game before, I love logic puzzles and I'm having a ton of fun doing these, especially since I get to listen to one of my favorite Zelda songs in the background.

Davey Cakes

I'm almost to 1000 points for Zelda Picross. Still need to do a face-to-face friend request and some other stuff in Miitomo.

I've been enjoying Pokemon Picross, playing for free and collecting as many Picrites as possible to unlock further areas. Once I get to a point where I have to pay, I can just move over to Zelda Picross.

Damn... I just bought Pokken, Pokemon Omega Sapphire, and TPHD last week.

Not that it really matters though... The entire point system is intentionally convoluted (two different pools of coins? Why?) and the value proposition for rewards just isn't there.

This isn't a Club Nintendo replacement, it's just a checked box so they can say they didn't lie about bringing something else out.

Damn... I just bought Pokken, Pokemon Omega Sapphire, and TPHD last week.

Not that it really matters though... The entire point system is intentionally convoluted (two different pools of coins? Why?) and the value proposition for rewards just isn't there.

This isn't a Club Nintendo replacement, it's just a checked box so they can say they didn't lie about bringing something else out.

1) The answer is simple, so that there's something exclusive to paying consumers while the whole system remains balanced. If there was one "currency", one of three things would happen: there would be absolutely no value whatsoever fo getting the free points themselves, only in conjuction with premium amount ones; or the paying consumer could grab just every of the unpaying one's options; or the paying consumer would get laughably bad improvement in options over non-paying one.

2) Indeed it isn't, but not really for the reasons you think it is. It's something somewhat different in basic idea. Club Nintendo gave you points for buying Nintendo published games and hardware. My Nintendo, on the other hand, gives you premium points for buying any game on eShop, especially when opposed to physical retailers, and freemium points... for, well, uPlay-ish stuff. This doesn't mean it's completely useless (especially to digital purchasers like me). The curious skipping of DLC is thus explained by the fact you can't buy it out of eShop anyway (they didn't skip DL-only games since they can get retail releases later, and to not highlight it).

tesqui

I misread it as Wario Ware: Twisted. The only Wario game I haven't played. I really like touched but I've already played that.

Top Bottom