• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogamer issues apology over Uncharted 4 review

Ban Puncher

FD0h86p.gif

So basically we are all clapping hands because attention whores like to be attention whores lol.

This is why most reviews turned bullshit once they were tied to clicks and ad revenue.

I have been burned so many times by online reviews, so now I either go by my own opinion or get some good feedback from gaffers.

Nibiru

Banned
Liking anything is so subjective. I recognize that the Uncharted games are well made but I just didn't have as much fun playing them as I did a Fallout game. Others would call Fallout games trash.

You have to look at a lot of reviews and make a judgement call on whether you might like it too but even when there is a consensus you still might not like it. I think about Diablo 3 getting unanimously positive reviews out of the gate but it ultimately ended up having it's game director reassigned and the game overhauled because of how bad it actually was(It's a great game now btw.)

I think that some reviewers restrain from being completely honest because they will be accused of being clickbait but sometimes they are just clickbait. That said we need reviews because games are expensive and we need an idea of what a game is. I think Twitch streams are a great way to see if you might like a game but they can spoil things for you.

Maxim726X

So basically we are all clapping hands because attention whores like to be attention whores lol.

This is why most reviews turned bullshit once they were tied to clicks and ad revenue.

I have been burned so many times by online reviews, so now I either go by my own opinion or get some good feedback from gaffers.

Honestly, after MGSV I feel the same.

That game was universally loved at release, and within three months that changed completely. I'm going to wait a few months and see if the reception hasn't soured.

I haven't seen not a single outburst over UC4 bad review scores. I think this apology is way over blown and bring attention to something that's totally not exclusive to Uncharted in the slightest. What was even the point tbh?
Are people still trying to pretend outrage happened over U4 reviews? It didn't happen. If you have to mine youtube comments for exhibits you don't have a case.
11,000 comments (oh wait it's 15,428 now) over IGN's Uncharted 4 8.8 review, and many of them were misogynistic, hateful, abusive, etc because a woman (Lucy O'Brien) reviewed it. Not to mention the comments stating that she reviewed Rise of the Tomb Raider better because Lara Croft is female. Reminiscent of Carolyn Petit's GTA V 9/10 Gamespot review (there was a petition on change.org to fire her). Most of the misogynistic comments were deleted by the mods.
ign_uncharted_4_review_suck_dick_by_digi_matrix-da2006q.png

ign_uncharted_4_review_personal_insults_deleted_by_digi_matrix-da2006x.png

ign_lucy_o_brien_gendered_uncharted_4_2_by_digi_matrix-da2007k.png

ign_lucy_o_brien_gendered_uncharted_4_by_digi_matrix-da2007e.png

ign_lucy_o_brien_uncharted_4_fired_by_digi_matrix-da2007v.png

At least no one has sent death/rape threats to Lucy O'Brien, or at least ones I can see publicly...

That's not to say Videogamer is in the wrong here but the whole thing comes across as condescending considering that the people lashing out against Eurogamer probably don't care anyway.

IGN is a different scenario. Lower than perfect score plus a woman reviewing it equals not just a shitstorm but a shit hurricane. That kind of thing is wrong and it needs to stop.

Honestly, after MGSV I feel the same.

That game was universally loved at release, and within three months that changed completely. I'm going to wait a few months and see if the reception hasn't soured.

A big part of the problem is the ridiculous need to play a game at launch, with the amount of games currently in existence waiting a few months shouldn't kill anyone..and you also stands to get it cheaper too.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Good, reviewers are supposed to be objective, there is no reason to inject their opinions, they are supposed to be writing these reviews for the everyman, not just themselves. People who think this game deserves anything less than a 9.0 are clearly being bought out by Xbox marketing executives to push sales of Tomb Raider, which is just gonna come to Ps4 eventually. They are wasting time with this propaganda.

Rozart

the UC4 review thread didn't live up to the hype

Seeing that happening in the thread was the weirdest thing to watch. You have pages upon pages of people discussing the game and then,one short lpost throwing snark at a review would pop up. This is followed by a group of posters quoting said post and going, "LOL. This thread delivered."

Were there really people just sitting there, scouring through bulks of posts, page after page, just waiting for these few drive by posters? @-@

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Good on them for apologizing for that review. They should have known never to cross the fanboys who will destroy you if you touch their sacred cow even with legitimate complaints and nitpicks

I feel like the manufactured controversy of the fanboys will do more harm to the game's reputation than what the reviewers have said so far.

reKon

Banned
Good, reviewers are supposed to be objective, there is no reason to inject their opinions, they are supposed to be writing these reviews for the everyman, not just themselves. People who think this game deserves anything less than a 9.0 are clearly being bought out by Xbox marketing executives to push sales of Tomb Raider, which is just gonna come to Ps4 eventually. They are wasting time with this propaganda.

The lame humor and sarcasm is pretty tired now. You're post is late by a couple of hours.

11,000 comments (oh wait it's 15,428 now) over IGN's Uncharted 4 8.8 review, and many of them were misogynistic, hateful, abusive, etc because a woman (Lucy O'Brien) reviewed it. Not to mention the comments stating that she reviewed Rise of the Tomb Raider better because Lara Croft is female. Reminiscent of Carolyn Petit's GTA V 9/10 Gamespot review (there was a petition on change.org to fire her). Most of the misogynistic comments were deleted by the mods.
ign_uncharted_4_review_suck_dick_by_digi_matrix-da2006q.png

ign_uncharted_4_review_personal_insults_deleted_by_digi_matrix-da2006x.png

ign_lucy_o_brien_gendered_uncharted_4_2_by_digi_matrix-da2007k.png

ign_lucy_o_brien_gendered_uncharted_4_by_digi_matrix-da2007e.png

ign_lucy_o_brien_uncharted_4_fired_by_digi_matrix-da2007v.png

At least no one has sent death/rape threats to Lucy O'Brien, or at least ones I can see publicly...
I sometimes hate the internet. Twitter, YouTube, and 99% of comment sections are dumpster fires.

FATALITY

Banned
That's why game journalism will always be garbage. Look at the professionalism of this guys. Lol.and that Lucy arguing on twitter. Pretty sad

This was a waste of a click.

First of all, don't insult your readers. Or, if "those aren't the kind of readers we want" like Stephen Totilo said years ago, then don't say anything at all. Writing an article to mock people who disliked your review is a waste of everyone's time and it's unprofessional. It also adds fuel to the fire.

Second of all, if you're so confident in your review score, you shouldn't need to answer your detractors through a sarcastic "apology letter".

Third, if you wanted more clicks, you should've written a better review. Drumming up fake controversy is idiotic.

kpaadet

I can't believe Videogamer was able to find mean spirited comments on youtube, that has to be some kind of achievement. Youtube mods are usually on point on that front.

This was a waste of a click.

First of all, don't insult your readers. Or, if "those aren't the kind of readers we want" like Stephen Totilo said years ago, then don't say anything at all. Writing an article to mock people who disliked your review is a waste of everyone's time and it's unprofessional. It also adds fuel to the fire.

Second of all, if you're so confident in your review score, you shouldn't need to answer your detractors through a sarcastic "apology letter".

Third, if you wanted more clicks, you should've written a better review. Drumming up fake controversy is idiotic.
I think you misread the article. They know they should have written a better review, that's why they issued this apology. The original review was unprofessional and a waste of everyone's time (an 8/10!), that's why they're addressing it here.

And it's something they had to do. Who knows how many precious clicks were wasted on the original, wrong review. What a senseless loss of clicks. The least they can do is apologize, and I'm glad they had the sense to do so.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm not sure what is worse here:

1) The people angry about a review
2) The people in this thread that are angry about a humorous response to the people angry about the review.

I mean, it's journalism. Why do people get so angry about a review score? Does it really affect your enjoyment of the game?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Good piece. It was pathetic that they were criticised for their review.

why?

If they were being dragged across hot coals and the entire internet was jabbing their balls with pitchforks I'd agree. But some people disagreeing or criticising should usually be ignored.

But this is videogamer. They enjoy riling people and enjoy even more knocking out a sarcastic as fuck response, even when the originating cause is minor at best. I like reading their caustic nonsense so I don't mind it, but most places would correctly just let it slide.

I'm not sure what is worse here:

1) The people angry about a review
2) The people in this thread that are angry about a humorous response to the people angry about the review.

I mean, it's journalism. Why do people get so angry about a review score? Does it really affect your enjoyment of the game?

Why does anyone care if people are angry?

why?

If they were being dragged across hot coals and the entire internet was jabbing their balls with pitchforks I'd agree. But some people disagreeing or criticising should usually be ignored.

But this is videogamer. They enjoy riling people and enjoy even more knocking out a sarcastic as fuck response, even when the originating cause is minor at best. I like reading their caustic nonsense so I don't mind it, but most places would correctly just let it slide.
I think it's all pretty tongue in cheek. It's a silly response, but anyone who said that they gave the game a bad score is being far more silly.

Because angry people on the internet tend to overreact, which leads to harassment. I think it's correct to view anger as a childish and unfavorable emotion in most cases. I can't remember the last time I respected someone for being furious, even for a good reason.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Hang on a second, do people not understand that Rise of the Tomb Raider is somewhat close in Metacritic score to UC4 with loads of reviews between them thus far?

ROTTR: 86
UC4: 94

Of course some prominent outlets would give ROTTR a better score, the Tomb Raider reboot games have been amazing.

Also, if you don't like a score, why are you giving that article or youtube video a click just so you can dislike it? You're doing them a favour in the process, even if you give the thumbs down...

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So people were upset at an 8? That's a must play on my scale :/

Hang on a second, do people not understand that Rise of the Tomb Raider is somewhat close in Metacritic score to UC4 with loads of reviews between them thus far?

ROTTR: 86
UC4: 94

Of course some prominent outlets would give ROTTR a better score. The Tomb Raider reboot games have been amazing.
I see one trash game and one GOTY weighed down by a few attention grabbing click bait reviews. An 86 is a B for crying out loud. You won't get into med school with grades like that.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Did you read those responses to the writer of the IGN review? Give people anonymity online and anger becomes harassment. It happens all the time.

Pancake Mix

I see one trash game and one GOTY weighed down by a few attention grabbing click bait reviews.

I don't doubt that some of them are, remembering "-too much water" to go with a 7.8 out of 10 in the Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby review from a certain major outlet. Regardless, people shouldn't be clicking on those reviews as that does them a favour even if you give the video or article a dislike. Don't click on clickbait, and don't write stupid sexist comments on the review either.

Also, calling ROTTR a trash game is downright laughable, it's better than UC1 and 3 easily.

Dunkley

I'm wondering if Videogamer will make another video about this GAF thread like they did for FF7 announcement.

Here's hoping we either get that or a Miller Report on Simon berating Burns for not knowing the score.

I'll be amused either way.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Hold on what? There was outrage over their review? I thought people were just trying to manufacture controversy. What the outrage so much worse that usual exclusive reviews that they felt they need to do this satirical article?
Uncharted 4 is one of the most anticipated games in a long time, it's from one of the most highly praised studios with a huge fan base. Perfect time for sites to get clicks.

I don't doubt that some of them are, remembering "-too much water" to go with a 7.8 out of 10 in the Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby review from a certain major outlet, but people shouldn't be clicking on those reviews, that does them a favour even if you give the video or article a dislike. Don't click on clickbait.

Also, calling ROTTR a trash game is downright laughable, it's better than UC1 and 3 easily.
Actually, now would be a good time for IGN to write an apology for that Pokemon review now that Videogamer has taken their own stand against click bait.

And ROTTR is objectively trash, look at that metacritic score.

Did you read those responses to the writer of the IGN review? Give people anonymity online and anger becomes harassment. It happens all the time.

That is a way different situation and absolutely wrong. The VideoGamer thing... no one really cares outside of some shitty Youtube comments.

Uncharted 4 is one of the most anticipated games in a long time, it's from one of the most highly praised studios with a huge fan base. Perfect time for sites to get clicks.
I'm actually kind of annoyed that any gaming sites are publishing reviews for Uncharted 4. It's a blatant and disgraceful attempt to get clicks off of people excited for Uncharted 4.

Wait to post the review until the excitement has gone down, thank you. I'll keep my clicks to myself for now.

Pancake Mix

Actually, now would be a good time for IGN to write an apology for that Pokemon review now that Videogamer has taken their own stand against click bait.

And ROTTR is objectively trash, look at that metacritic score.

Ohhh, you're trolling, I see. That or pretty much every Pokemon game is trash.

The Pokemon thing is different. The scores are so low because of terrible games "journalists" writing click bait reviews.

No, it's not different and I'm done replying to you since you've clearly made up your mind.

image.php

It's like talking to a child that always thinks they're right in their irrational beliefs. To call all contradictory reviews for games you care about only "clickbait" is also absurd. I'm sure clickbait reviews happen, but come on....

Top Bottom