• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Mulholland Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
naomi-watts-mulholland-drive%20-%20076.jpg

bow.gif
bow.gif

I think the first thing that needs to be said is Naomi Watts is absolutely incredible (and stunning) in this film, she cry wanks herself blind at one point. What a performance.

The second thing that needs to be said is what the fuck did i watch? This film is mad. I watched it late last night and i've been thinking about it all morning. I know i liked it, a lot, but i'm not sure what to make of it. I've got questions but i almost don't want to hear the answers as i feel i should probably watch it again before diving into other peoples interpretations.

This would be a really pointless thread if i did that tho so here's some random questions/thoughts. If you haven't seen it i'd highly recommend watching the film over reading on.

- The first thing i noticed was the acting/dialogue seemed a bit...off at times in the beginning, like stiff maybe? Betty in particular. I'm not sure how to describe it but it was immediately noticeable to me and i'm not a keen film buff by any stretch, it seemed intentionally very film-y, like Betty wouldn't have looked weird with a flowery dress or a red bow in her hair given her behavior to begin with. Y tho?

- The scene in the cafe about the nightmares: Besides scaring me shitless I don't understand the significance of this scene, given their conversation i thought it was maybe establishing that dreams can bleed into or become reality? That doesn't seem right though having seen the rest of the film. Those two characters in this scene only show up again fleetingly towards the end in the same cafe and yeah..don't get it.

- The audition scene had me like whoa.

- The theatre scene: I can't get over how good this scene is, for the performer to establish and then hammer home that everything you're witnessing is an illusion only to completely take your legs away with the exact same point mere minutes later was..genius, i don't know how else to put it, I don't think i've ever seen anything like that in a film before. Tbh to my own surprise i actually grew quite emotional when the singer collapsed, i felt sad and defeated but i can't really explain why. I might just be imagining it looking back but i'm sure i felt bad for Betty in particular as well, which would be crazy given what happens from this scene on wards and at that point i didn't know or understand much of anything.

- The scene immediately after, i rewound this scene because i along with Rita was wondering where the fuck Betty went. After rewinding it she clearly vanishes after placing the blue box on the bed, then the camera goes inside the blue box...and then whatness happens, it become overload at that point, I don't even wanna try and understand the stuff at the end until i watch it again.

Too many questions as it is. Why and what was the conspiracy involving the film about? What's the blue box about? Who's body do they find in Diane's house? Why is there a ghost cowboy? Why did the old couple at the end have to be so terrifying when i'm watching it alone at like 1am?

I need to stop.

What do you think of this film? Are there other films of a similar vein you'd recommend?

MMaRsu

Banned
Watch Lost Highway now :D

Yo this film.is amazing, yeah the diner scene scared the fuck outta me too. In the end arent the two momen supposed to be the same woman and she just made up this fake woman?

Been too long story was top crazy Ill have to watch it again haha

EGM1966

Great film. Ask yourself what events in "the real world" would dovetail with behaviour of characters in their various incarnations and what emotional states would be driving then.

Then watch Lost Highway.

EDIT; beaten twice on Lost Highway

I saw that on TV one time, I was very confused. No idea what was going on with the stage manager, the lookalikes, the women speaking Spanish randomly, then they died in a car crash at the end. Very confusing.

Indelible

This is the movie that made me a Naomi Watts fan, such a nuianced performance from her. The movie itself is one of the best of the 2000s.

Great film. Ask yourself what events in "the real world" would dovetail with behaviour of characters in their various incarnations and what emotional states would be driving then.

Interesting. I'll have to watch it again and do this as everything became overload towards the end and i didn't take much in.

EGM1966

Eh, I'd argue that Blue Velvet is closer to Mulholland Drive than Lost Highway was, personally. Plus, Twin Peaks.
Nah. Lost Highway uses essentially same technique of mixing "real world" and fantasy scenes involving different incarnations of same characters.

Blue Velvet of course has that same distinct Lynch tone but it's technique isn't as close as Lost Highway. It is arguably his best film though and a must watch if you liked Mullholand Drive.

Flipyap

Eh, I'd argue that Blue Velvet is closer to Mulholland Drive than Lost Highway was, personally. Plus, Twin Peaks.
Agreed. I'd recommend watching Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks (including Fire Walk With Me) before diving into Lynch's more surreal works.
And if you're still into it after Lost Highway, you owe it to yourself try to endure Inland Empire. I can't promise that it will be pleasant, but it's a movie watching experience unlike any other. It literally feels like dreaming.

top 10 movie tbh

Its pretty clear the first two hours are a dream. The first thing we see is us falling down to sleep into a pillow on Diane's bed, and then the dream ends when she unlocks the blue box/Cowboy says "time to wake up pretty girl". She's a failed, possibly drug-addicted actress who's "girlfriend" ditches who for a big-shot movie director and another pretty blond woman. She hires an assassin to kill her former lover, and through a combination of depression, shame, and personal demons she can't escape(personified in that thing in the back of winkies and all those smiling parents who thought she was gonna be a big star), she kills herself.

But in-between the hiring and the killing, she dreams. She dreams of a world where she's a great actress, where everything bad happens to the big-shot director, where her "girlfriend" is hot but kinda dumb and depends on her instead of the other way around, where SINISTER FORCES OF HOLLYWOOD are the reason that pretty talentless blond woman got her roles instead of her, where the assassin she hired is REALLY incompetent in a Coen Bros kinda way so he couldn't kill the woman she loves, and her entire life is kinda like a 1950s Billy Wilder noir.

Things like the blue key its uh...you seen Inception? Its kinda like a totem of her guilt, that guilt that she killed Camilla Rhodes. She hides it in a box and puts it away in the dream. The dream starts to break down partway through the movie, you got those agents like Inception, the mind fighting back telling her to wake up. You got her ugly dead body at her house. She calls "Diane Selwyn" in the dream("Its strange dialing yourself!") and its actually Naomi Watts' voice on the other side, but its kinda hard to here cuz she's its the drugged out suicidal one IRL. It finally breaks down entirely when they go to Club Silencio and its revealed that they're living in a dream world they can't have, and they rush home to open the box.

Lynch uses the dream thing as a really cool method to actually get inside somebody's head and do an intimate character study of Naomi Watts' character of Diane Selwyn. We learn her wants, her dreams, her hopes, her fears, how she views the world and how she views the people in her life. Its also an indictment against all the happy magic bullshit Hollywood feeds you, but at the same time its also a celebration of the power of movies, how they affect our ultimately subjective view of reality, and how they impact our lives.

Its also just a really visceral fuckin' experience with dreamlike cinematography and amazing sound design and crazy direction so that if you didn't get it, you can just enjoy it on a sensory level.

Frodo

Naomi Watts was great in it. I need to re-watch it, as I watched it long ago, and some of the details scape me. It's a weird film, and it didn't click straight away with me, but it is worth watching just for Naomi Watts and all the discussion you can have after you see it.

So Lynch stuff then. Will definitely give them a watch. Cheers.

top 10 movie tbh

Its pretty clear the first two hours are a dream. The first thing we see is us falling down to sleep into a pillow on Diane's bed, and then the dream ends when she unlocks the blue box/Cowboy says "time to wake up pretty girl". She's a failed, possibly drug-addicted actress who's "girlfriend" ditches who for a big-shot movie director and another pretty blond woman. She hires an assassin to kill her former lover, and through a combination of depression, shame, and personal demons she can't escape(personified in that thing in the back of winkies and all those smiling parents who thought she was gonna be a big star), she kills herself.

But in-between the hiring and the killing, she dreams. She dreams of a world where she's a great actress, where everything bad happens to the big-shot director, where her "girlfriend" is hot but kinda dumb and depends on her instead of the other way around, where SINISTER FORCES OF HOLLYWOOD are the reason that pretty talentless blond woman got her roles instead of her, where the assassin she hired is REALLY incompetent in a Coen Bros kinda way so he couldn't kill the woman she loves, and her entire life is kinda like a 1950s Billy Wilder noir.

Things like the blue key its uh...you seen Inception? Its kinda like a totem of her guilt, that guilt that she killed Camilla Rhodes. She hides it in a box and puts it away in the dream. The dream starts to break down partway through the movie, you got those agents like Inception, the mind fighting back telling her to wake up. You got her ugly dead body at her house. She calls "Diane Selwyn" in the dream("Its strange dialing yourself!") and its actually Naomi Watts' voice on the other side, but its kinda hard to here cuz she's its the drugged out suicidal one IRL. It finally breaks down entirely when they go to Club Silencio and its revealed that they're living in a dream world they can't have, and they rush home to open the box.

Lynch uses the dream thing as a really cool method to actually get inside somebody's head and do an intimate character study of Naomi Watts' character of Diane Selwyn. We learn her wants, her dreams, her hopes, her fears, how she views the world and how she views the people in her life. Its also an indictment against all the happy magic bullshit Hollywood feeds you, but at the same time its also a celebration of the power of movies, how they affect our ultimately subjective view of reality, and how they impact our lives.

Its also just a really visceral fuckin' experience with dreamlike cinematography and amazing sound design and crazy direction so that if you didn't get it, you can just enjoy it on a sensory level.

Oooooof! Fuck i need to watch it again. This a great post, thank you. I was just (still) thinking about the film and what EGM1966 said and two things occurred to me.

- The film starts at the crash/getting out of the Limo scene and getting out of the limo/going to the party is when she her world crumbles completely and she snaps.

- The blonde wig, does she wish Rita in real life was more like herself?

Mad film.

SiteSeer

saw this in the theater when it first dropped. got the dvd as soon as that came out, still didn't get it until internet. but that big block of spoilers above is basically the internet consensus on the plot.

One of my favorite films, and one of the few made in the last fifty years that actually captures the feel of most of my other favorite movies (which are pretty much all noirs).

Corpsepyre

Banned
You don't need to analyse Lynch's films this way. They're avante-garde films. Just go with the flow and let them pull you in. It's what I figured after trying to put the puzzles together for so long. They're best enjoyed if you don't try to 'find meaning' in the scenes. Think of it as looking at abstract art.

robochimp

Agreed. I'd recommend watching Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks (including Fire Walk With Me) before diving into Lynch's more surreal works.
And if you're still into it after Lost Highway, you owe it to yourself try to endure Inland Empire. I can't promise that it will be pleasant, but it's a movie watching experience unlike any other. It literally feels like dreaming.

Inland Empire is an amazing experience, it is like experiencing a dream while awake.

Saya

Fantastic film. One of my favorites ever along with The Straight Story from Lynch, check it out if you haven't, but it's not like Mulholland Drive at all.

Haven't seen it, but want to.

The only David Lynch thing I've seen is Twin Peaks but I loved that so I really don't know why I haven't delved into his other stuff. Equal parts lack of spare time and laziness, I think.

You don't need to analyse Lynch's films this way. They're avante-garde films. Just go with the flow and let them pull you in. It's what I figured after trying to put the puzzles together for so long. They're best enjoyed if you don't try to 'find meaning' in the scenes. Think of it as looking at abstract art.
I think the conventional explanation makes perfect sense, but I think the whole thing is best appreciated as "dream logic" without trying to find one-to-one explanations or mapping the whole thing out. The thing Lynch excels at in all his work is recreating dream logic.

I hear you, and i'd agree with Shakes that dream logic would be the best way of appreciating it. It's fun to speculate though.

I've watched this film all the way through, like once, at 2 in the morning, and it was the best way to see it. One of Lynch's most dreamlike works.

What's funny is that I never feel like I understand the film fully unless Im actually sitting down and watching it. Anytime afterwards, I cant remember all the little details and forget the plot.

The first half of the film seems to be the ideal view of an innocent up and coming actress successfully making it in Hollywood, with a noir mystery and romance attached.

The second half reveals the reality behind this dream, showing the same up and coming actress as her life actually is. She's unsuccessful, undervalued, and self pitying. Meanwhile, the only sort of friend she has, has outgrown her. The friend is everything the actress wishes she could be: attractive, successful in Hollywood, and in a satisfying relationship with a director she works for. This leads to the protagonist being fixated and enamored with her friend's life.

Being shunned by seemingly everyone, this fixation turns into scorn and resentment, with the failing actress falling into a deep depression. She contemplates murder, and eventually hires someone to kill off her friend. Feeling guilt for the act, she commits suicide. The first half of the movie seems to be the final dream of this depressed person.

And I think that's the plot. I havent seen this film fully in some time, but that's what I mostly took from it after seeing it.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I think this is Lynch's best movie, I've rewatched it many times (also because I wrote a paper once about the dream elements). But even after all those rewatches I still didn't get tired of it. ViewtifulJC's theory is the most common interpretation and also makes total sense, if you're looking for an explanation that is.

Also, in threads like 'recommend scary movies' I usually post MD, because that movie is unsettling as fuck when you watch it for the first time.

Inland Empire is the only Lynch movie I haven't watched besides Eraserhead, should get to that sometime

Flipyap

One of my favorite films, and one of the few made in the last fifty years that actually captures the feel of most of my other favorite movies (which are pretty much all noirs).
Can you list some (noir or otherwise)? I've been meaning to get into film noir and comparisons to my all time favorite movie might finally get me to educate myself a little.

Sometimes I wonder how things would have turned out if this became the TV series it was originally made as.
If Lynch stuck around for enough episodes, he'd probably find a way to turn it into something special, but I'm definitely glad that all the goofy storylines seeded in the pilot had to be abruptly cut and got a chance to find new life as symbols and figments of Diane's imagination. In the most Lynchian fashion, the TV show's demise was the best thing that could have happened to it.

offshore

One of my favourite films without question. The Club Silencio scene is one of the greatest scenes in film.

"It is all... a tape..."

Viewtiful's explanation above is how I've always liked to interpret it. Everytime I go through I see more ways it fits. One of my five favorite films definitely.

You should check out Inland Empire one day. It'll make much less sense, is nowhere near as good a film, IMO, but there are segments that are amazing in similar nightmarish ways.

impact

Banned
beware OP, Lost Highway is almost nothing like this. I don't know why people are recommending you waste your time on such a boring sloth of a movie.

Necrobumping. I just saw this movie a second time and it still didn't make any sense. I kind of got that it was about someone named Diane. I knew at least one part was a dream. But really, it made no sense. I couldn't decide if it was one of the greatest movies I've watched or the worst. I loved the atmosphere and the execution but I didn't know whether to forgive Lynch for the plot or lack thereof.

Then I read Viewtiful's post. Everything makes sense now. Thank you, GAF. I truly love the experience this film gave me.

the central metaphor about of the wonderful lie of cinema is is all wrapped up in that Club Silencio scene, especially the song sung by Rebekah Del Rio. Lynch uses every tool in his filmmaking disposal to make you give into it. All the weird atmospherics sounds drop out so you can just hear her singing. He uses those close-ups with the slow zoom-ins to draw you in. You might not understand the words, but her voice is so obviously beautiful, singing with such real passion. He cuts to to our protagonists in the audience, who are like us, going from scared to enraptured by this performance.

And then she just drops dead.

And yet the voice keeps going.

It, like this illusion they're in, like this movie, was all a beautiful lie. Just like they kept saying it was, "This is all a recording", and yet you bought into it anyway, only for it be cruelly revealed as another trick. Its only then Naomi Watts' character finally picks up the blue box from her purse and realize she needs to end this.

It's really fascinating how Lynch's strange abstract style should make his work relatively inaccessible to a wide, mainstream audience, and yet the mass appeal of things like Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet, and Mulholland Drive can't be denied.

I "got" the gist of the movie after a second watch, but honestly, the first time through it is still my favorite experience watching a movie ever.

None of my dreams ever made fucking sense either, but it felt like it was true. It's a movie that could have only been made by David Lynch. Like everything David Lynch has ever made his entire life prior to Mulholland Dr. was so he could make this movie.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I just watched this for the second time. Man, its so fucking good. It makes you question all the scenes. Their purpose in Bettys narrative. You can make out the thread but trying to put the pieces together still makes you think about intent. Its masterful in that regard. It places you in Bettys head amd questions why. Then you move on to those weird as fuck outlier narratives.

Viewtifull's post makes me want to watch again with his post in mind.

J_Viper

Saw it first time a few months ago, and when it ended I literally exclaimed "what the fuck?" out loud even though I was by myself.

What a great and insane film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom