• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 7 Biohazard announced (PC/XB1/PS4), Jan 2017, PS4 demo out now

gconsole

Hmm not sure where does PT comparison comes from. This game has been in development for at least 3 years and its coming out next Jan. The direction and decision to make it scary FPS is not just done after PT explosion last year (or otherwise we won't be able to have it release so soon!)

I think it is more of co-incident, and I applause Capcom for taking the risk. People complain that they keep make formulaic RE and make it too action. Yet a total turn into different direction like this still piss people off.

I don't usually play FPS and I'm not sure how do I feel about this. But at least it put a new breeze into the series. We will know soon enough whether it's the right thing or not.

At least we get out traditional RE via RE2make anyway.

A lot of people need to remember this is a teaser, it could likely not be at all what the final game is like, considering there's attack buttons and whatnot, I don't think it's going to end up all that "outlast-y" lol I think this teaser is more of a "here's the feel we're going for" and not a representation of how the final game will end up, that's just how I see it anyways, that said, the teaser is pretty great actually lol

News Bot

Banned
Hmm not sure where does PT comparison comes from. This game has been in development for at least 3 years and its coming out next Jan. The direction and decision to make it scary FPS is not just done after PT explosion last year (or otherwise we won't be able to have it release so soon!)

I think it is more of co-incident, and I applause Capcom for taking the risk. People complain that they keep make formulaic RE and make it too action. Yet a total turn into different direction like this still piss people off.

I don't usually play FPS and I'm not sure how do I feel about this. But at least it put a new breeze into the series. We will know soon enough whether it's the right thing or not.

No, it is most certainly based directly on P.T., right down to hiring a former P.T. designer. This incarnation of BIO7 has only been in development for two years, tops. The "RE Engine" was developed specifically for VR utilization and only began development at least last year. Whatever they were working on after BIO6 has either been scrapped completely or relegated to a Revelations title or similar, but the former is more likely..

Shauni

Most who complained about action RE just wanted RE games in the old style. This isn't RE in the old style, it's entirely different, at least from what we see of it so far.

A lot of people need to remember this is a teaser, it could likely not be at all what the final game is like, considering there's attack buttons and whatnot, I don't think it's going to end up all that "outlast-y" lol I think this teaser is more of a "here's the feel we're going for" and not a representation of how the final game will end up, that's just how I see it anyways, that said, the teaser is pretty great actually lol
Then they shouldn't have put it out.

That's okay, but I don't really see the point. The entire reason for making PT look nothing like a traditional Silent Hill game was so that nobody would suspect it was actually a teaser for a new Silent Hill. But in this case we already know exactly what game this is promoting. So there's no real reason to hide whatever type of gameplay they're going for in the final product from us. Either this is a misguided attempt to mimic PT without understanding why it was the way it was, or it is indicative of the final game.

gconsole

No, it is most certainly based directly on P.T., right down to hiring a former P.T. designer. This incarnation of BIO7 has only been in development for two years, tops. The "RE Engine" was developed specifically for VR utilization and only began development at least last year. Whatever they were working on after BIO6 has either been scrapped completely or relegated to a Revelations title or similar.

No, it has been in development a lot longer than that dude. PT guy just join the team right after the dissolution of Kojima Production, not at the beginning of development.

And VR came along only after Sony annouce it. This game was designed to be FPS right at the beginning. Only PT thing and VR come after.

News Bot

Banned
No, it has been in development a lot longer than that dude. PT guy just join the team right after the dissolution of Kojima Production, not at the beginning of development.

You're not basing this on anything. Are you not familiar with cases like 1.5 and the Castle/Hallucination versions of BIO4? CAPCOM were looking at very different routes to take BIO7 originally.

Like I said. This incarnation of BIO7 is only about two years old if we're to believe CAPCOM's timeline.

Shauni

That's okay, but I don't really see the point. The entire reason for making PT look nothing like a traditional Silent Hill game was so that nobody would suspect it was actually a teaser for a new Silent Hill. But in this case we already know exactly what game this is promoting. So there's no real reason to hide whatever type of gameplay they're going for in the final product from us.

Yeah, I admit, that is really weird. It only really makes sense if there's a big bait and switch going on here and the final game doesn't look anything like what they've presented. But if that's the case, them doing official PR about it and confirming more or less that it looks like what it looks like (a first person reinvention of the series) just doesn't seem right. Unless it's all part of a huge ruse that Capcom is playing, but it just doesn't seem likely.

hohoXD123

P.T was released almost 2 years ago. Plenty of time to change the direction of the game surely.

Taruranto

Looks kinda weird. My first thought was "Indie Survival Horror" (Which it's fine, but not what I want from RE). Also, not a fan of first person for the series, ugh.

Off to download the demo, I guess.

gconsole

If it's a teaser for a game that come out in next 2 years then yes, that's possible. Like PT, the actual development of Silent HIll didn't even start at that point. That's a teaser.

This game is coming out next Jan. At this point it's already reach the final state of development, they might even have full game finish now. Thus there is no point to release a teaser that doesn't reflect anything to the final game.

I believe this is what we are going to get, but just a glimpse of it. There would be a lot more to this for sure, but don't expect the final game to be TPS or anything.

Genio88

Looks awesome, finally Capcom is doing something right with the serie, the demo exclusively on PS4 sucks though, come on release it on PC or Xbox One too, what's the deal with an exclusive demo other than piss fans off?

gconsole

You're not basing this on anything. Are you not familiar with cases like 1.5 and the Castle/Hallucination versions of BIO4? CAPCOM were looking at very different routes to take BIO7 originally.

Like I said. This incarnation of BIO7 is only about two years old if we're to believe CAPCOM's timeline.

I do know this but you don't have to believe me. Let's jsut wait for any interview from the creator to give us more detail on this :)

RikkTheGaijin

Capcom Artist

And VR came along only after Sony annouce it. This game was designed to be FPS right at the beginning. Only PT thing and VR come after.
Yes, this is correct.

Roufianos

We ask for the series to go back to its roots so they give us first person?

FIRST PERSON?

I'm so pissed off I could punch a fairy.

"Resident Evil 7 Teaser: Beginning Hour" After all it's a playable teaser, similar to P.T.(I guess), hope the whole game isn't like that and we'll see previous characters.
Afraid to say that we will be playing simply as a player. No character from claasic series is in the lead this time.

News Bot

Banned
I do know this but you don't have to believe me. Let's jsut wait for any interview from the creator to give us more detail on this :)

You don't know it. We already have an interview stating that the engine used on this game only began development in 2014 at the earliest.

The game’s existence shouldn’t be a surprise since Capcom announced last year that “Development Division 1,” the internal group working on the “Resident Evil” IP and led by “Resident Evil 5″ producer Jun Takeuchi, would be developing a new game engine for VR.

Exentryk

I've never been interested in the Resident Evil series because it was just another third person shooter, but this looks much more like a psychological thriller, like P.T., without guns.

Definitely very interested in this now. Going to try out the demo later.

First thing I thought upon seeing this was PT, honestly. Both moved a traditionally third person series to first person, both are thematically different from earlier entries...

This isn't what I expected when Capcom said they'd be returning to their horror roots, but it still looks pretty cool. Can't wait to watch demo playthroughs tomorrow morning.

gconsole

You don't know it. We already have an interview stating that the engine used on this game only began development in 2014 at the earliest.

I'm confused. How is that link supposed to do anything with RE7? It doesn't confirm anything relating to this game at all.

But again, let's just wait for creator interview.

News Bot

Banned
I'm confused. How is that link supposed to do anything with RE7? It doesn't confirm anything relating to this game at all.

But again, let's just wait for creator interview.

They're specifically referring to the engine BIO7 runs on. The game was overhauled at some point, which you don't actually disagree with.

WaterAstro

It is, I searched Resident Evil 7... which took me to the collector's edition... which had a link to the regular edition... which had a demo download button at the very bottom.

I searched for Resi and it didn't pop... maybe getting cut off?

Oh man I just had to scroll down a lot more.

synce

How long until the demo is free? IIRC, MS made non paying members wait a month, not sure how Sony handles it

Since capcom is trying to cash in the fps horror genre they will have to compete with top examples of the genre like Alien isolation or Amnesia 1. I highly doubt current talent pool in capcom can hang with those games. This will probably be more in the league of slenderman, outlast or even worse like five nights at freddy series.

doofy102

Sorry but this has P.T. written all over it. There's even rumoured "real endings." Yep. Fake endings in a demo. Do you really think that would be in there if Kojima hadn't done it first? It's trying to manufacture the exact same internet hype P.T. did and good luck to it.

Since capcom is trying to cash in the fps horror genre they will have to compete with top examples of the genre like Alien isolation or Amnesia 1. I highly doubt current talent pool in capcom can hang with those games. This will probably be more in the league of slenderman, outlast or even worse like five nights at freddy series.
Naaaaah, come on, I'm pretty sure Capcom's best can put out a better horror game than something like Slenderman. I don't know about how it'll compare to something like Alien Isolation as I haven't played it yet but I'm sure it'll at least be a decent game. They're definitely going back to their horror roots, that's for sure

doofy102

I applaud them for taking risks. We need more risk-taking in this industry.

What kind of risk is this, though? Is it a risk because it's doing something unusual? This is the most common type of horror on the market. Other games/experiments have already proven that this sort of thing can be profitable in 2016. The only risk here is that it's disappointing a number of Resident Evil fans in the hopes of catching a bigger audience. It's removing elements that made the series unique in the first place (which includes the 3rd person combat) to become more safe. A real risk would be doing something that's actually unique.

The Ummah

Banned
I have the music from the trailer and the title reveal on loop in my head. Still. Great fucking reveal, Capcom.

Finally got the demo downloaded!

gconsole

What kind of risk is this, though? Is it a risk because it's doing something unusual? This is the most common type of horror on the market. The only risk here is that it's disappointing a number of Resident Evil fans in the hopes of catching a bigger audience. It's removing what made the series unique in the first place to become more safe. A real risk would be bringing back tank controls.

But RE always have tank control, no (at least before 6)?

Foxxsoxx

Actually enjoyed the demo a good bit, I don't think it was a spoopy as PT, but it has potential.

It really made me appreciate the voice acting of the radio guy on PT though, that was brilliant and really added to the atmosphere.

They really need to nail the sound effects in the coming 6 months if they want this to be on it's own level.

Top Bottom