• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4's Patch 1.08 lets you remove or tone down MOTION BLUR

vg260

Glad to see devs patching options for stuff like this. Things like blur and CA can be very divisive. A toggle never hurts, even though some people freak out about the idea of having more graphics toggles with the "keep the graphics toggles out of consoles games. This is why I game on consoles not PC" stuff.

T.O.P

Banned
Should've been there D1, i had a couple of moments halfway through the game where i had to look away from the screen for a few seconds because it was making me extremely nauseous

Especially ch.12

Oneself

I might tone it down a bit but I love motion blur generally.

The only game where I almost completely removed it is Doom... It's fast and crisp and needs precision.

JP

That's fantastic, the quality of the motion was really impressive but it was just too much for me.

eso76

Uncharted 4 has the perfect amount of motion blur.
Looks great, smooth and contributes to the look of the game.
30fps with no MB just doesn't look good to me. you won't see me touch that slider but i guess it's good to have options.

As soon as I platinum'd it and deleted it from my hdd. Darn, lol.

Still cool though, loving how console games are finally starting to get more options like this, or Dooms FOV sider, etc.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
they should patch in some actual gameplay while they are at it.

yNOYE1Q.gif

Agreed.

Harlock

I always thought the motion blur was because they can't render in the same quality while fast spining the camera.

No_Style

It's nice to have options. I didn't mind the motion blur at all but as this thread indicates, there are those who hate it.

I love how a thread about motion blur somehow turned back into a "Uncharted 4 was mediocre" thread in less than 2 pages. Impressive, considering there's already another thread about how disappointing it is on the main page.

On topic - I really dug the motion blur while playing but it was definitely off-putting when rotating the camera, I might try disabling it for my next playthrough

I don't even know how you could notice the blur with all that distracting ludo narrative dissonance amiriteguyz?

but seriously don't know how you guys singled out and were bothered by blur. Didn't even cross my mind.

Glad yall are happy now though.

Well, this thread went places. In the shitter.
Cool. Thanks, guys.

Anyways, more options are always nice. I personally never noticed there was too much motion blur.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I wonder if playing around with this setting will make the sampling issues less noticeable. I love motion blur but I find this game's implementation to be pretty poor and it stands out compared to the fantastic quality of everything else.

Comparison of spinning the camera in Uncharted and Doom

26964187484_e729950915_o.png

27501241681_f7b21be399_o.png

Someone please ban this guy. That was nothing but a troll comment.

Uncharted 4 is a horrible game? Bullshit. A game doesn't get overwhelmingly positive reviews for being "horrible."

You should've been in the UC4 OT a while back.

A couple posters compared liking the game to liking the Star Wars prequels or just liking shit things in general. It was really kind of amazing to see that level of salt in real time.

As for the motion blur, it only bothered me a bit when it had weird interaction with the AA method but certainly not enough to warrant turning it off. Especially since I was only bothered in a limited circumstance: spinning the camera while standing still.

jett

D-Member
I wonder if playing around with this setting will make the sampling issues less noticeable. I love motion blur but I find this game's implementation to be pretty poor and it stands out compared to the fantastic quality of everything else.

Comparison of spinning the camera in Uncharted and Doom

27501241681_f7b21be399_o.png

And Doom with that sweet 60fps too.

foxbeldin

Uncharted 4 is a horrible game? Bullshit. A game doesn't get overwhelmingly positive reviews for being "horrible."

Welcome to neogaf, where everything that's not perfectly cattering to your taste is a shit-tier steaming pile of hot trash garbage.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Uncharted 4 has the perfect amount of motion blur.
Looks great, smooth and contributes to the look of the game.
30fps with no MB just doesn't look good to me. you won't see me touch that slider but i guess it's good to have options.
Seconded.

Though the sampling rate could have been better. It looks great overall, though.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Played around with it a little bit. I found 6 to be a sweet spot between still having a noticeable blur to improve smoothness and the sampling not breaking up as much. Definitely much less distracting to me now than it was before.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Some more comparisons. Took some more screens and inspected them more closely and found that 4 is where the samples are the closest while still having a noticeable blur. It really improved the visuals for me since I found the break up very distracting. Comparisons aren't perfect unfortunately since it's tough to time it when spinning the camera but I think they get the point across.

28001115225_13d86b8370_o.png

27923141321_5fa7dbc89f_o.png

27387787554_6c97718d30_o.png

27923142511_7c5d09913e_o.png

28001118965_63fc902a00_o.png

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Interesting idea RoboPlato. I'd say that in the 2nd example 4 looks worse, but in the first example it looks better. On a third one, it looks similar on both. I'll give it a try - it's very different when actually playing.

Not sure, MB in UC4 looked really great to me while actually playing. Only in the screenshots analysis I saw the issues with it.

Not sure why a game that sells itself as "feeling like a blockbuster movie" would want to remove motion blur, especially at 30fps.

I probably won't touch that slider. U4's motion blur was fine to me.

reKon

Banned
Heh. If you're referring to the pacing then I agree.

I generally agree with the pacing issue the game has. But drive-by posting about the gameplay being non-existent or terrible is grade A shitposting if you don't clarify yourself. The actual gunplay, animations, and contextual melee is quite brilliant for a TPS - some of the best has EVER been done. There's also no other TPS that has mixed in swing roping mechanics into the combat like Uncharted 4 has done, which blends in well to the MP and makes it unique. The problem that people had is that there wasn't enough of that in single player. Does that mean that it's accurate to say there's no gameplay or that it's bad?

Anyways, regarding the motion blur, I didn't think too much of it in game. The screenshots above make it look bad, but in motion, the game looks stunning IMO.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Interesting idea RoboPlato. I'd say that in the 2nd example 4 looks worse, but in the first example it looks better. On a third one, it looks similar on both. I'll give it a try - it's very different when actually playing.

Not sure, MB in UC4 looked really great to me while actually playing. Only in the screenshots analysis I saw the issues with it.

The 2nd one does look pretty similar in actual gameplay. I just timed the screen wrong for a more 1:1 comparison.

In motion all the settings from 4 on up look very similar actually, it really just seems to be the amount of space between some of the samples and some less artifacting. Again, I am just someone who is extremely sensitive to motion blur and it's quality so I don't expect many others to care as much as I do.

Gbraga

That's awesome! I wish we could also remove the AA, but I do realize that's asking too much for a console game. If we could tweak everything, it would no longer be a console game, after all.

Will test it later, thank for the tip to leave it at 4, RoboPlato!

AdanVC

Wow I was just casually checking this thread to see if there was some comparison pics with and without MB (Thanks for that, OP) but then I read the replies and oh my. I thought UC4 was highly praised on GAF...

Top Bottom