• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo is surely smart enough to make it $250 or less and with $49 games. Remember it's not aiming for console only.

Highly doubt it considering Nintendo priced the new 3DS XL at 199€ without the charging cable.

My guess would be 300€ for the handheld and docking station with the controller and external HDD sold seperately.

DieH@rd

Banned
Say goodbye to currentgen ports. This few watt device will be able to produce better games than (now aged) Vita, but dont expect miracles.

Instro

In case any of you doubt the veracity of our own ShockingAlberto as a source, here is a PM I received from him yesterday evening.

He has given me permission to now post this. He also wanted me to mention nothing is confirmed until Nintendo confirms it.

I could only imagine it being around Xbox 1 level when docked. Even if it's the upcoming Tegra chip it would need to be throttled in handheld mode to save battery.

oti

Banned
I think Hybrid is the way to go. I love the idea of buying a console that's also a portable

But does this mean we wont see portable -like games? What will the next pokemon game look like, for example?

I think it's quite telling how they've changed to more realistic character models (no more chibi thank god) and use more cinematic camera angles for Sun/Moon.

After all the countless times shooting down that rumor.... it's actually true. Well, I guess this is par for Nintendo.

Still, how is that not going to be an overpriced handheld/underpowered home console?

You could also see it as an overpowered handheld / underpriced home console. :D

A Nintendo portable more powerful than the Wii U seems quite surreal. Let's see how "portable" it is, but with a good enough form factor it could be quite a success

Also this is definitely not good for the Vita, right?

The "brains" are apparently in the handheld portion so docking wouldn't provide any additional boost, no?

All else aside the ability to change performance level is nothing new, and it could easily have an internal "switch" that activates when it's docked and no longer needs to worry about battery life. And again, Nintendo did have that external computing device patent

MrV4ltor

CoTEEfIWYAALlS2.jpg:large

Tom Phillips @tomphillipsEG
Here's the Nintendo NX design (NB: not Nintendo's illustration, but useful pic of concept)

So, wait.... which part do you connect to the TV-dock?

giphy.gif

Alric

It does make a difference when the handheld is dedicated to gaming only. No having to have your software run on 100 different types of devices and having the phone hardware split between so many different applications.

If what is said about the NX is true, it really would be a great handheld. I don't get much time at home to sit down and play but I can pickup and go with a handheld a lot. Hopefully it's comfortable enough in the hands and portable to the point of big pockets.

Genio88

If this is true, and i repeat if, then Zelda for WiiU will be way better than the NX version...I like the idea of a Home/handheld console, though to do that they can't compete with next gen graphics, and not even with their previews console WiiU! also being a Tegra machine it'll be again cut out from multiplatform games with PS4 and Xbox One...at this point i think we should consider NX more like a 3DS successor rather than a WiiU one, of course you'll be able to play with it at home too, but it's main focus looks mobile seen all the specs and features. It makes sense since mobile is the only thing keeping Nintendo "alive" these days, perhaps they're done with proper home console for now

I'm glad if it's a handheld. Nintendo has never impressed me in the home console space, but aside from hardware issues I've enjoyed their handhelds. Hope it's true.

Now give me 2 joysticks, 720p (at least 540p), and no 3d.

thiscoldblack

Unconfirmed Member
This sounds good to me. Although I would prefer if they had a powerful system this time around. Also, Mario needs to be a launch title.

Taker666

would people be happier if Nintendo made the base station and hand held portions two separate purchases? If you want just TV gaming it cost $249.99. If you want just the handheld (that plays games with reduced graphics) its $149. Or if you buy both together as a bundle its $349.99.

Yes. I resent that I'll have to pay extra for a handheld device that I don't want just so I can play games on a tv.

At least the Wii U tablet was used in conjuction with the tv....this thing will just sit in a dock for me as an expensive ornament.

DOWN

Banned
7" LCD, Tegra GPU, docking station and controller, for $199? Almost certainly out of the question.
Knowing Nintendo it might be a 480p display and surely the hardware can't be dramatically higher than 3DS XL. $250 is very possible since sources say the system is first and foremost aiming for a handheld market.

Simbabbad

People don't take into consideration the real possibility Sony gets out of handhelds, meaning you'll basically get all the handheld and Nintendo home console support of developers you usually saw on PSP or Vita.

Kouriozan

This is much better than my cut up Wii U mockup and the similar one from Tom Philips.
I did your idea with a Wii U gamepad:

EEOrYt7.jpg

They could literally call this Wii U 2, what could go wrong!
Hell, they could attach 2 more controllers on the remaining sides and launch with a port of Warlords.
This confusing stuff will never attract casual's attention.

noshten

Couldn't comment on this previously - so here is my speculation on the NX

The Mobile(handheld) NX Unit would be released in 2016 as well as the new account system DeNa is building with Nintendo.
Majority of handheld games released should be later available on the new console. The console I expect to be released in 2017, likely until than Nintendo might be releasing certain handheld games upscaled on the Wii U. Zelda U might actually be hybrid release - MobileNX/Wii U.
Games that are currently in development for the handheld will be backwards compatible with Wii U until the release of their next console. There would be additional development required and major patch when imported on the NX console(from handheld).
So in essence the big hitters on the NX Handheld/Mobile will also be upscaled for console. There would also be smaller games that are released just for the NX Handheld as wells as Mobile Devices. You would still need to buy Mobile versions separately or link your phone with your new Nintendo Account System App.

I don't know what the plan is since I believe that the best option to appease Wii U adopters is to have their games/account be transferable to the new mobile/console NX. The problem I see is that there are certain Wii U games which utilize the Gamepad and if the new console doesn't have Gyro or a Second Screen they might not work. Also it might require additional Dev to Remaster certain games for the NX Handheld/Console, but I think its a route Nintendo needs to take.

Wonder what the plans are in terms of storage, will Nintendo release build in storage or simply have their device easily coupled with external HD.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=182309465&postcount=4608

So other than the console and handheld being the same device with probably an external processing unit releasing later on for higher resolution and more power. Although I personally expected for Nintendo to simply try and utilize already existing devices like a smartphone for a screen.

Also surprised about no backwards comparability. Not expecting to buy this until there is at least 10 games I want or Spla2oon. But theoretically that could be accomplished by the end of 2017 since I'd guess there is going to be plenty of more games announced for the launch and the rest of 2017.

Still awaiting more concrete information, I don't care that much about the graphics myself so the games are what are really going to be a factor for me.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
haha, it literally is an nvidia shield, just with a slightly different approach to dockable controllers.

wouldn't be surprised if the next iteration of it matched the nx spec for spec.

not sure why this was a big secret. all they needed to say is "we're going to make an nvidia shield and put nintendo games on it".

It sounds lazy when you say it that way.

That's the trend in the market though. The PS4 and XB1 are AMD PCs-in-a-box.

I think it's proven to be the best solution for the market though, both from a sustainability and support perspective.

wachie

Just from the OP and the concept art above, it sounds like they're making a cross of the WiiU and an iPhone.

No thanks.
The world needs more Pokemon Go players running around oblivious of their surroundings.

On topic, the concept sounds way too on the left field. Most likely it will be a greater success for Nintendo than the Wii U but not close enough to catch PS4.

LongARMz

Neo Member
Ha. I knew it would be a handheld. Pity all those guys who were hoping for a "Xbox One or better!!!" console though.

Noone wants a third horse console. Nintendo knows their strength!

Exactly!!! With most games being multiplatform nowadays there no point having another console that plays the same games. I already have a PS4.

This could be a great move for Nintendo. I really interested to see they sell it.

They had me sold at cartridges

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Trine 2 was dynamic res on PS360, up to 720p but often below it. Also the Shield TV test held 30fps effortlessly, where are you getting unstable/variable frame rate from? Certainly not that DF video, the green line held steady at 30?

Trine 2 actually makes a neat comparison across platforms:

360/PS3: dynamic resolution up to 720p, 30fps
Wii U: 720p, 30fps
Shield TV (X1): 1080p, 30fps
PS4: 1080p, 60fps

Of course comparing an Android device to locked down dedicated consoles is always going to be an apples and oranges scenario. To draw a broad comparison to what a closed X1 console might be capable of consider the dedicated games you see on Vita versus games running on an iPad 3.

The video said that the PS3/360 versions had much more stable frame rates on Trine than the Shield version.

Really don't see how this thing is going to sell that well in the west. Expensive handheld that doesn't match other consoles when it comes to working as a home console. Not to mention one of the selling points of Nintendos handhelds has been atractive price (see 3DS before the price cut). Well I guess we will see what happens.

crinale

All else aside the ability to change performance level is nothing new, and it could easily have an internal "switch" that activates when it's docked and no longer needs to worry about battery life. And again, Nintendo did have that external computing device patent

I'd say external computing device is the way to go.. I mean, designing handheld to withstand console power & heat dissipation only to be used when docked just doesn't make sense..
You can literally design it but it would have huge space (or heavy heatsink) that won't do shit while on "portable" mode, would totally nullify the point of being hybrid.

I did a quick photoshop. To my understand NX concept is going to be somewhat like this? Of cause I am assuming the controller in the handheld form will not be like that, but somewhat more portable.

ok, the previous one seems kinda wrong, so here's the updated one that's closer to the description

j137QQU.jpg

Oooh, I can totally dig this!

Also consider the controller(s) could connect from the side or something giving you a TATE screen for shmups. Just a thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom