• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Kyle Edmund played a superb match in horrendous conditions to defeat a stubborn, but ailing, Janko Tipsarevic 3, 4 and love. They played in pouring rain on a slow clay court, and Janko simply couldn't hit through the court at all. He gave everything he had though, despite struggling with ankle swelling and illness, forcing Edmund to keep unleashing huge forehands to stay on top. Conditions were probably worse than the at RG when Djokovic first stepped on court against Agut.

Saw a gag on twitter that Sharapova's off the WTA tour because she took her pills, while Azarenka's off because she didn't. But seriously, you couldn't write this stuff.

Halep out of the Olympics too, along with Raonic. Nadal ruled in by the ITF and he's been practicing for them.

Saw a gag on twitter that Sharapova's off the WTA tour because she took her pills, while Azarenka's off because she didn't. But seriously, you couldn't write this stuff.

Halep out of the Olympics too, along with Raonic. Nadal ruled in by the ITF and he's been practicing for them.

Injury or Zika scare?

The Fritz v. Zverev 2nd round in Washington is intriguing. I think Zverev is still ahead of Fritz atm but these guys will be playing eachother with some consistency over the course of the next decade that I'm sure of.

List of significant withdrawals for the summer tournaments getting longer:

ATP Toronto: Murray, Federer, Nadal, Ferrer, all out.
WTA Montreal: Bencic, defending champion, out with wrist injury
Olympics: Raonic, Thiem, Berdych; Halep, Pliskova out.
Both Canada and Olympics: Gasquet, Azarenka

Djokovic yet to commit to Toronto but draw would be pretty soft so might make sense to play it, the Olympics, then skip Cincy.

Djokovic yet to commit to Toronto but draw would be pretty soft so might make sense to play it, the Olympics, then skip Cincy.

Djokovic is skipping Cinci? The one Masters he hasn't won? I guess he'll have to try to win it for the first time in his 30's

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

Damn.

Sorry Nabae, guess it won't work out for you.

Ricker

There is more people in the stands on this awful on and off rain delay day in Montreal for the women then in sunny Toronto for the men at the Rogers Cup...what the hell Toronto....?

Got tickets for tonight in Montreal but I doubt they will finish today's schedule of play...oh well have to go anyway since its on and off...

I hope Kyrgios just retires.

Now saying Canadians support their tennis players more than Australians.

He is such a pathetic waste of space. Even said he's been playing more Pokemon than tennis. Tennis does not need characters like him.

I hope Kyrgios just retires.

Now saying Canadians support their tennis players more than Australians.

He is such a pathetic waste of space. Even said he's been playing more Pokemon than tennis. Tennis does not need characters like him.

I wonder if they're checking into match fixing and proxy betting. I get the feeling he tanked, again. Of course with no coach and a total fuck this attitude to his tennis career it's inevitable those working harder are going to surpass his natural talent. Give me the hardworking humble player over Nick-Whole-Ass Kyrgios. I don't watch him play any tourney at all anymore. I still tune in for Tomic.

I wonder if they're checking into match fixing and proxy betting. I get the feeling he tanked, again. Of course with no coach and a total fuck this attitude to his tennis career it's inevitable those working harder are going to surpass his natural talent. Give me the hardworking humble player over Nick-Whole-Ass Kyrgios. I don't watch him play any tourney at all anymore. I still tune in for Tomic.

You mean the guy who tanked so hard he has the fastest loss in ATP history? The same guy that tried to return a serve with his racket backwards? That guy!?!

You Aussies really need to hope Kokkinakis gets healthy and becomes a force. He seems decent enough as a human being

You mean the guy who tanked so hard he has the fastest loss in ATP history? The same guy that tried to return a serve with his racket backwards? That guy!?!

You Aussies really need to hope Kokkinakis gets healthy and becomes a force. He seems decent enough as a human being

Can we just have Hewitt or Rafter back please. I'll trade in both Kyrgios and Tomic for just one of them to return.

At least Tomic is putting in the appearance of giving a toss.

Ricker

Shapovalov and homeland advantage,woooo ;)...great win for him.

I hope homeland advantage will work for Genie this afternoon,she has a tough first round match against Safarova,I'll be there,and then if she wins,Cibulkova probably and next CSN...damn.

Too bad Serena withdrew last minute,would of loved to see her but Venus is there.

clemenx

Banned
Nah, he says he wants to come back in full force for 2017. Knee still not fuly healed.

Statement in Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Federer/posts/10154337738059941
Dear Fans,
I’m extremely disappointed to announce that I will not be able to represent Switzerland at the Olympic Games in Rio and that I will also miss the remainder of the season. Considering all options after consulting with my doctors and my team, I have made the very difficult decision to call an end to my 2016 season as I need more extensive rehabilitation following my knee surgery earlier this year. The doctors advised that if I want to play on the ATP World Tour injury free for another few years, as I intend to do, I must give both my knee and body the proper time to fully recover. It is tough to miss the rest of the year. However, the silver lining is that this experience has made me realize how lucky I have been throughout my career with very few injuries. The love I have for tennis, the competition, tournaments and of course you, the fans remains intact. I am as motivated as ever and plan to put all my energy towards coming back strong, healthy and in shape to play attacking tennis in 2017.
Thanks for your continued support.
Roger

Terrible news. Don't want to see a legend of the game forced out through injury. Hope he can come back to somewhere near the top next year, but odds on that are lengthening.

IISANDERII

Today I saw Djokovic lose to Canadians in doubles again. Last time was 5 years ago or so when Raonic and Popisil beat Nadal and Djokovic. The atmosphere on the Grand Stand was electric, there was nearly a fight in the crowd!

Today I saw Djokovic lose to Canadians in doubles again. Last time was 5 years ago or so when Raonic and Popisil beat Nadal and Djokovic. The atmosphere on the Grand Stand was electric, there was nearly a fight in the crowd!

There will be a lot more drama when Pospisil and Nestor go up against Sock and Kyrgios on Thursday. Pospisil decided to dump Sock to play with his elder countryman and now they have to face off against eachother. Oh and Kyrgios is involved too.

miserable

Spanish media saying that Nadal will likely pull out of the singles competition at the Olympics. He cancelled a training session today against Murray in Mallorca because of pain in his wrist.

:(

Bouchard beats Cibulkova 6-2, 6-0, in the best 2&0 beatdown I've ever seen. The score completely hides how competitive it was and how hard Genie had to dig to keep up with Cibulkova's relentless intensity and aggression. She was struggling physically in the second set and had to ask a ball girl to get her a drink during a game, but she held it together and closed out very well. If ever a match said "she's back" it was this one.

Spanish media saying that Nadal will likely pull out of the singles competition at the Olympics. He cancelled a training session today against Murray in Mallorca because of pain in his wrist.

:(

I've said it for years I think Nadal's biomechanics and playstyle just invites injury and stress wearing. I don't wish it on him but I think his worries over the last year or two have been coming for awhile.

Top Bottom