• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOONAMI

Actually, the Shield TV has active cooling. It's very quiet though.

Also, as I said before, all of the current consoles had far more powerful early dev kits than the final versions, though it is possible that all of them were simply downgraded.

I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility for a handheld to have fans as long as it isn't burning your hands, but it will hurt battery life especially if it's pulling 20w. Gonna need at least a few hours of play time or this thing is gonna bomb hard. Even with that, you'd want to be able to swap batteries easily, and no one wants to have to do that. Or you need a gigantic like 12000 mah battery, which ain't cheap.

Azoo

Neo Member
e2d2ae9d60d2876455994b14944c94a5.png

Tried a second attempt at the controller idea.

Still wondering if we're really going to have two pieces that disconnect, or a controller that can attach to a screen, like in that Star Fox Zero short. Definitely not perfect by any means (especially since I wonder why one would keep something as important as the machine itself on a flimsy connector that could come apart easy), but still.

Big One

Banned
IThis rumor explicitly says it's not Android and anyways I would not imagine it running Android. That's just not how Nintendo rolls.
Either way if the thing can function as a viable tablet on the market AND be a viable traditional game console could be huge. Sicne you get both a market for casual games (ala Angry Birds) and hardcore games like Breath of the Wild on the same system.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Either way if the thing can function as a viable tablet on the market AND be a viable traditional game console could be huge. Sicne you get both a market for casual games (ala Angry Birds) and hardcore games like Breath of the Wild on the same system.

It would be cool, but the apps just won't be there which is very important. They seemed to have done pretty well on the web browsing front on Wii U so there's that. We'll see, though.

jdstorm

Banned
the delay as probably due to them wanting to have a huge lineup of game s for day one and the months following

the whole thing regarding not wanting to be copied by their rivals was probably PR bullshit

There are so many plausible reasons for the delay.
1. The breath of the wild stuff up (they had the game almost complete then it was broken in the next build)
2. Waiting for the X2 /16nm process
3. Neo/Scorpio was a response to the NX shown at E3 2014 and they didn't want to launch underpowered again
4. Vulcan was late and the games weren't ready
5. They really needed that suplamental computing patent to be approved

gafneo

Banned
Some flaws I notice with some of these concepts is that we have to consider it will need to be built to play Pokemon go. Keeping the cam on a phone exposed is vital to the design of the attachable controllers.

orioto

Good Art™
While i'm at it, here are other potential (but maybe not) ideas of gameplay for that concept.

Keep one pad attached to the screen, that you hold in one hand, and have the other one free in your other hand, that you can use as a gun, or a sword i don't know, or to point things. Than now create a multiplayer game using AR where you're interacting with friends in the wild.

Now, do that with Pokemon. (Like you gives order with the free pad and motion control while you're looking at the AR pokemons interacting on screen).

Link that to Pokemon GO.

BOOM, NX sells 50 millions

I really think that configuration, of a small portable device with two pads and gyros, could be the thing Nintendo always wanted. Some sort of infinity creative device that reinvent itself all the time.

Just think about it, one pad plugged, and the other free, with motion control, and think about the game design ideas.

AmyS

So the Wiiu version of Zelda U might be the graphically superior one?

Unless the version of Tegra in NX is 1/3 as fast as Tegra X1 in Nvidia Shield TV, then yes the NX version of Zelda: Breath of the Wild very well could be graphically superior to the Wii U version. Really depends on how much effort Nintendo wants to put into upgrading the graphics / framerate, etc.

Edit:
Tegra X1 as it stands, is about 3X more powerful than Wii U GPU. (512 GFlops vs 176 GFlops).
Aside from performance, Tegra X1's Maxwell GPU architecture is much more modern (2014) and efficient than the old ass Radeon architecture (2008) in Wii U's GPU,

Leizt

Neo Member
There's no way I'm putting a 3ds or vita in my pocket either. They belong in a case, in your bag, imo. I guess for all the cargo pants people out there this is a major let down, but who wears cargo pants ;)

Jk I do realize pocket ability is a good thing, but I don't think very many people are going about their days with a 3ds in their pocket all day. I guess it's good for a trip to the pooper while at work, but I don't think anyone should really be doing that lol. Yall playing games in the bathroom for an hour while everyone else is working ;)

Yep! Its been a while since portable had the same mean of "pocket size" worst or better the XL version always sells better.

Is there any word on portable screen resolution? Tegras can power 1440 tablets can't they? Would be stellar if Breath of the Wild runs native 1440p somehow.

Unless the version of Tegra in NX is 1/3 as fast as Tegra X1 in Nvidia Shield TV, then yes the NX version of Zelda: Breath of the Wild very well could be graphically superior to the Wii U version. Really depends on how much effort Nintendo wants to put into upgrading the graphics / framerate, etc.

Don't forget thermals and battery life are going to play a factor in this as well. A handheld NX is going to have to make some significant concessions compared to a traditional console.

DonMigs85

It won't be a tremendous leap over Wii U's GPU, but still a decent bump if it's Tegra X1. Maybe about 3-4x faster in games that are ROP/TMU-bound. But as a handheld I dunno how aggressively games are gonna push the hardware.

Terrell

If true, I walk away from Nintendo. If they're essentially exiting the home console market while trying to pretend they aren't with that docking system nonsense, my interest is completely gone and I would never come back until they stopped pretending they're making something for the home console market.

That's a pretty big "if", though. Considering everything in play, it still feels like there's a huge piece of this puzzle missing.

DonMigs85

Is there any word on portable screen resolution? Tegras can power 1440 tablets can't they? Would be stellar if Breath of the Wild runs native 1440p somehow.
That's a huge waste of resources. I won't be surprised if it ships with a 720p screen. Knowing them it might even be 854x480.

AmyS

Don't forget thermals and battery life are going to play a factor in this as well. A handheld NX is going to have to make some significant concessions compared to a traditional console.

Google's Pixel C tablet uses Tegra X1. It's more powerful than the GPU in iPad Pro, and IIRC only a bit down clocked from the Tegra X1 in Shield TV.

LCGeek

formerly sane
It won't be a tremendous leap over Wii U's GPU, but still a decent bump if it's Tegra X1. Maybe about 3-4x faster in games that are ROP/TMU-bound. But as a handheld I dunno how aggressively games are gonna push the hardware.

I'm guessing these docking rumors are so that the unit performs in one mode while mobile and then when docked can turn up the juice considering power problems cool problems aren't the same as being in your pocket. You can easily set modes for various chips in power or clocks so they can easily do a decent bump, if they wanted too.

If true, I walk away from Nintendo. If they're essentially exiting the home console market while trying to pretend they aren't with that docking system nonsense, my interest is completely gone and I would never come back until they stopped pretending they're making something for the home console market.

Bookmarked for when you buy one at launch.

Nanashrew

Banned

This seems pretty extreme...

Why do people keep saying this? In the article it even says graphical power is expected to lie between Wii U and Xbox One, doesn't it? Is that NOT greater than Wii U?

Spec-wise, yes, the X1 is faster than the Wii U. But the Wii U is a dedicated console plugged into a wall. It can afford to use 70 watts or whatever it uses. A handheld doesn't have that kind of flexibility.

It sounds like they're taking the home console aspect somewhat seriously though, with the detachable controllers and all. It seems to be a device they truly want people to use in multiple ways.

So, you will come back if they stop selling/providing the TV-out dock? :-/

TSM

I just don't get this. It's like Nintendo finally broke down and made a tablet. The market would be excited. Except they won't solely be focusing on that since it's got dedicated control pod add-ons. It's schizophrenic. Then it's also not laser focused around an app store, and instead they are encouraging developers to use 32GB physical media? I don't know if Nintendo noticed, but the mainstream has pretty much abandoned physical media. Even gamers are finally coming around on digital downloads.

maxcriden

e2d2ae9d60d2876455994b14944c94a5.png

Tried a second attempt at the controller idea.

Still wondering if we're really going to have two pieces that disconnect, or a controller that can attach to a screen, like in that Star Fox Zero short. Definitely not perfect by any means (especially since I wonder why one would keep something as important as the machine itself on a flimsy connector that could come apart easy), but still.

I really like this, but I think Eurogamer clarified via Twitter that each side of the HH is its own separate detachable controller, so there are two separate detachable controllers on the HH. Maybe I misunderstood the image but it looked to me like you were going for a 0.5 + 0.5 = 1 controller idea (which is what I'd originally thought was the case, too.).

Rumor from a while back was 540p. It would surprise me if it was over 720.

El oh el
Wii U ain't even that cheap!

Yeah I suppose.

Older tech, tho. Wii U perhaps could've been that cheap with different components or made at a different time. I dunno too much about it, but I think I've seen others say that tech if bargained for by Nintendo at a good price could lead to a decently low buy-in for customers. Plus, I believe multiple higher-ups at Nintendo have indicated wanting as low a barrier to entry as possible, regarding price. Maybe one of our tech-savvy folk can tell me how realistic or unrealistic that is?

I'm scared this device will look like shit/break easily/prevent the controllers from being great. It's an ambitious idea. The execution must have been a nightmare.

I just don't get this. It's like Nintendo finally broke down and made a tablet. The market would be excited. Except they won't solely be focusing on that since it's got dedicated control pod add-ons. It's schizophrenic. Then it's also not laser focused around an app store, and instead they are encouraging developers to use 32GB physical media? I don't know if Nintendo noticed, but the mainstream has pretty much abandoned physical media. Even gamers are finally coming around on digital downloads.

And people can buy games on a digital store. That said, physical media still needs to exist for people with data caps, no access to broadband, etc.

Mobile games aren't that big. Think about how much internal storage you would need to download multiple 32GB+ games.

gafneo

Banned
Maybe the dock uses phones as a cart port. Think of a TV plug in but using a phone as a mini TV display. The dock could be the console as a whole. A very fancy' high powered phonee case if you will.

xILw6aA.jpg

TSM

And people can buy games on a digital store. That said, physical media still needs to exist for people with data caps, no access to broadband, etc.

If developers are making games up to 32GB, what kind of storage is this thing going to have? There's no hard drive and developers can make ludicrously large games for a portable device. The mainstream is not going back to packing around hand fulls of carts on the go again. This news can't be completely correct because it's all over the place.

Mobile games aren't that big. Think about how much internal storage you would need to download multiple 32GB+ games.

That's my point. Nintendo should be advising developers to make more reasonably sized games. I can't see them suggesting making enormous games in a digital world where storage space on the go is at a premium.

rekameohs

Banned
Maybe the dock uses phones as a cart port. Think of a TV plug in but using a phone as a mini TV display. The dock could be the console as a whole. A very fancy' high powered phonee case if you will.

xILw6aA.jpg
No way. Plus, phones come in huge variety of form factors.

AmyS

I'm not sure about that but I remember the article saying it needed active cooling. That's not going to fly in a handheld.

That's probably because the Tegra X1 in the dev kits is on the 20nm process that X1 was made for. Assuming the final dev kit and production units (be it modified X1 or X2) are using 16nm FinFET, it should run much cooler, draw less power, have the same or better performance and not need active cooling. Hopefully.

Lets hope NX gets the Spiderman chip (Tegra X2 / Parker).

Azoo

Neo Member
I really like this, but I think Eurogamer clarified via Twitter that each side of the HH is its own separate detachable controller, so there are two separate detachable controllers on the HH. Maybe I misunderstood the image but it looked to me like you were going for a 0.5 + 0.5 = 1 controller idea (which is what I'd originally thought was the case, too.).

Nah, you're right. I did this thinking of just a standard controller instead of two pieces that can split/conjoin to the screen.

Honestly I'm having a hard time thinking of literally any way that can be pulled off without looking otherworldly, being an ergonomic nightmare, or both..

If developers are making games up to 32GB, what kind of storage is this thing going to have? There's no hard drive and developers can make ludicrously large games for a portable device. The mainstream is not going back to packing around hand fulls of carts on the go again. This news can't be completely correct because it's all over the place.

Going back? The 3DS and Vita are still around, you know. And it's likely they'll support some form of SD cards at least, which will be good for the smaller-sized games (or even the bigger ones if you really want to use that much of your own storage).

Edit: Also, it's certainly possible that the home console mode could support external hard drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom