• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A List of Lesser Known Manga: Because there's More to Manga than Monster and Berserk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lain

I'd love to read some of the manga suggestions on the first page, but for some reason while loading the images, the scroller disappears and I can't even look at the whole first post.
I wonder why that is.

Edit: could see the first page with chrome. Man Opera failed me badly this time =(
I'm happy to see someone suggested Gokusen, as well as all the suggestion flawfuls made.
Some great titles in here.

faridmon

Kamaki said:
Didn't see so I thought I'd contribute; I've enjoyed what I've read so far.

The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service by Eiji Otsuka (story) and Housui Yamazaki (art); Licensed
121beqs.jpg
this is bloody awsome, great man for having an awomse taste.:D

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I haven't actually READ Biomega (by Tsutomu Nihei), but it does apparently have scenes like this in it -

2whig03.png

So it can't be ALL bad.

7Th

River's Edge is a pretty big omission, OP; specially considering that you listed the spin-off/sequel Helter Skelter.

Ikael

God - fucking - damn @OP. I was going to suggest something, but since you cover freaking every single good not known manga on existence, I don't know what to contribute with. I just want to confirm that yes Dragon Head and Ode to Kirihiro are awesome, and that you should all read this:

Ikigami

352367.jpg

One of the most interesting dystopies that I have ever read. In a not so distant future, there's one opressive goverment in Japan. However, its opression is very, very sutile. You will not see nazi - like uniforms nor big brother-esque monitorization. It is like any of our sweet democracies. Except for one little, tiny dettail: the prosperity law. A law created in order to instill the value of life on the citizens, it mandates a vaccine to be injected into every children. Once they reach 26 years old, one of each 1000 citizens will discover that he only have 24 hours left on this world, for his vaccine was really a poison with a retardation mechanism. The advice note or "Ikigami" is delivered 24 hours before the death, and its deliverance is a hell of a job. This story is about the ones that have to deliver Ikigamis and their stories. Pure. Awesome.

Monster Collector

Monster_Collection_Vol_1.png

A manga about a trading card game called "Monster collector" made by its illustrator. It seems poised to be a shitty manga, right? WRONG! A short, 6 tomes story, it is incredible how the author manages to create such a rich world in such a short space. One of the best adventure mangas around, lighthearted but with lot of heart, it oozes charisma and wonder, not to mention that it has one of the best designs that I have ever seen. Ever. Period. No contest. The llustrations of humans, architecture, creatures... they are all vivid, stylish yet realistic, graceful yet with texture. Seriously, it will make sweet, sweet love to your eyeballs, and this shitty pic, the only thing that came out of google, does not make it justice, better check this link in order to see some of its pannels:

http://crystal-energy.blogspot.com/2009/02/monster-collection-totalmente.html

My year

Mia%C3%B1o.jpg

A story about Capuccine, a little girl which has a very rare condition... I won't spoil it since it is quite awesome to figure it out by yourself before the author reveals it to us. Let's say that it is a very heartwarming, but realistic, human story, and that the author is really incredible at showing the reader how Capuccine sees the world... and how the world sees her. Not to mention the fact that it is wholly pencil - coloured, making it almost an artisan - made book.

No tezuka listed brings a lot of sadness to my heart.

He was an absolute genius in his art/writing/paneling/everything and there are still very few people that can compare in the manga industry.

Mumei

BudokaiMR2 said:

He was an absolute genius in his art/writing/paneling/everything and there are still very few people that can compare in the manga industry.

MW?

DrForester said:
you mean that thread that had 3 posts since 2008 and most of those were 5 months ago?

*shrugs*

It's still a useful catch-all place for recommendations on the subject.

BudokaiMR2 said:

Dude, he posted multiple manga by Tezuka..look again.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
BudokaiMR2 said:
There are three series from him in the very first post.

Great thread.

I know by every angle it technically shouldn't count in a thread with all these obscure indie titles, considering it's a long-running Shonen Jump series with a 200-some episode anime, but somehow I don't feel that Eyeshield 21 has ever actually been as popular as these metrics would seem to let on, especially with Western fans that generally seem to poo-poo sports manga as a rule. Sure, it's pretty much got every cliche in the book for a shonen series, but the art is damn well the most energetic and dynamic I've ever seen from the medium, the individuality given every character in a cast of hundreds is peerless, and goddamnit the series is just fun as all damn hell.

I'd also like to express my love for Makoto Kobayashi's work (What's Michael, Club 9). Nobody in comics does (hilarious) facial expressions better.

Lain said:
:lol
Wait, it wasn't a joke?

Well, having consumed all 3 media representations of this, I can say that the manga isn't what you should be looking for. Read the book or watch the anime, as they're more or less the same thing. The manga screws up the end in a spectacular manner, so don't waste your time on it.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
icarus-daedelus said:
Is the Kare Kano manga significantly better than the show? 'Cause I liked the show before it decided to fall apart and not even have the dignity to actually conclude.
Well i haven't finished reading the manga yet. But i've gotten past the point in the anime where it feel apart. And it's remained good thus far. (on volume 11). So yeah, i'd say it's significantly better than the anime series.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
icarus-daedelus said:
Is the Kare Kano manga significantly better than the show? 'Cause I liked the show before it decided to fall apart and not even have the dignity to actually conclude.

If you liked the show up until it fell apart you'll probably enjoy the manga. I don't see why you wouldn't. It has a very nice and conclusive ending characters get very flushed out.

I'd say it's only real fault (and this could be said of many anime/manga) is that the cast gets pretty big. I enjoyed the side characters but there is a a lot of attention given to other characters in the series.

AFreak

Banned
No Blade of the Immortal in all of that? I am depressed :(

In all seriousness, this is awesome, I need to read more and I'm tired of all the Shounen(But hell, I still love Naruto). ALready on Berserk, but the mangaka will die before it's ever finished.

tokkun

Sanctuary
Team Medical Dragon
20th Century Boys
Planetes

icarus-daedelus said:

Have not read it, but I remember hearing bad things about Tokyo Pop's US releases.

suzu

Nice list! Missing these two though. :)

Emma (aka Victorian Romance Emma) by Kaoru Mori (Licensed)
2gu0dn4.jpg

In Victorian-era England, a young girl is rescued from a life of destitution and raised to become a proper British maid. Emma meets William, the eldest son of a wealthy family, and immediately falls in love with him. William shares her feelings, but the strict rules of their society prevent their relationship from ever coming out in the open. Traditional class distinctions and rich, historical details provide the backdrop for this appealing romance.

Otoyomegatari (Young Bride's Story) by Kaoru Mori
2nhlx1t.jpg

Set along the Silk Road that connected Asia with the Mediterranean world, including North Africa and Europe in the 19th century. The story of Amira, a woman skilled in archery and horsemanship, sent to marry Karluk, a boy from another village who is 8 years younger than her. But all is not well, as her village decides to take her back...

East Lake

AFreak said:
No Blade of the Immortal in all of that? I am depressed :(
Heh I was just about to say that, I like Samura's shorter work but Blade of the Immortal is something else. The art quality is getting absurd at this point too, the best there is with action and movement as far as I'm concerned.

I thought Tokyo Zombie was pretty awesome.

24ay6tu.jpg

Drawn with purposely bad art, the dead bodies dumped on Mt. Fuji come alive for a zombie apocalypse and the rich survivors make the poor fight zombies in arenas. Here's a brief look.

2w2rgw1.jpg

Lain

FreedomFrisbee said:
Well, having consumed all 3 media representations of this, I can say that the manga isn't what you should be looking for. Read the book or watch the anime, as they're more or less the same thing. The manga screws up the end in a spectacular manner, so don't waste your time on it.

As someone who has both read the manga and watched the anime, I have to admit that I'm just amazed at the thought of the anime being considered better than the manga.
The end in the manga didn't particularly set me ablaze, but it was still good, and it certainly didn't invalidate the spectacular job that was done in every volume before it.
I can't say the same thing for the anime.

But I'll say this, maybe I'll track down the novel to read it, seeing as it was published in a language I can read.

Jex

flawfuls said:
No. Who is that?

I'm only reminded of him because of the sheer volume of manga he has read. He went out and wrote a book called 'Manga : The Complete Guide'. To do that he read every single work that had ever been licensed in English.

Jangaroo said:
If any of you guys only have the time to read just one of the titles here, make sure it's Solanin. I'm not the biggest manga fan around so I tend to be very picky about which ones I read. It's amazing. Go get it now.

I will have to remember to do so. That was one of the few that stood out as I looked though that list.

Joule

Lain said:
As someone who has both read the manga and watched the anime, I have to admit that I'm just amazed at the thought of the anime being considered better than the manga.
The end in the manga didn't particularly set me ablaze, but it was still good, and it certainly didn't invalidate the spectacular job that was done in every volume before it.
I can't say the same thing for the anime.

But I'll say this, maybe I'll track down the novel to read it, seeing as it was published in a language I can read.

I think every medium of Welcome to the NHK has its merits. I do kind of like how the manga ended. Rushed certainly but the take on things wasn't a bad idea. The mood of the manga felt much less depressing than the other mediums and at times offered a sort of comedic insanity.

neoanarch

suzu said:
Nice list! Missing these two though. :)

Emma (aka Victorian Romance Emma) by Kaoru Mori (Licensed)
]http://i43.tinypic.com/2gu0dn4.jpg[/IMG]

Otoyomegatari (Young Bride's Story) by Kaoru Mori
http://i43.tinypic.com/2nhlx1t.jpg[/IMG]

I noticed the omissions too I was about to post them. I'm also wondering why Blade of the Immortal was left out. its probably just as popular as Vagabond and Vinland Saga,

uqrFP.jpg

"To end his eternal suffering, he must slay one thousand enemies!" Manji, a ronin warrior of feudal Japan, has been cursed with immortality. To rid himself of this curse and end his life of misery, he must slay one thousand evil men! His quest begins when a young girl seeks his help in taking revenge on her parents' killers . . . and his quest won't end until the blood of a thousand has spilled! licensed by dark horse

Seconding Solanin, Goodnight PunPun, Undercurrent and Onani Master Kurosawa.

East Lake

Dresden said:
Blade of the Immortal isn't exactly obscure. :D
That's true but I wouldn't say Monster, Vagabond or 20th Century Boys are very obscure either, I guess that depends on the audience we're considering though.

suzu

Oh, I just thought of another one I like. It's pretty hilarious (and maybe a bit sacrilegious lol).

Saint Young Men by Nakamura Hikaru
1z4bm9u.jpg

Slice-of-life or divine-life, tale of Jesus and Buddha as they try to experience the modern world, in this case, Japan. The manga places a funny twist on religion, attitudes, culture and customs in Japan through the eyes of Jesus and Buddha. You see Jesus and Buddha experiencing Asakusa, public baths, theme parks, and the internet.

Also I suggest everyone take a look at Dorohedoro if they dig action, comedy, gore, horror(?). It's one of my favorite series! I think the first volume is out in english now.

Aeana

Thanks for this thread. I stopped reading many comics after the last time I moved out of Japan back in 1996 or so. The last thing I remember reading was Detective Conan, but stopped on that since it was no longer readily available at my new home (I can't believe it's still going!). I've been looking at stuff again recently, but have found it very hard to find recommendations that fit my taste. It seems like everybody is all into those shounen action comics like Naruto, which I don't like. I'm currently in the middle of Fruits Basket, and love it to death. I'd love to find some more stuff along those lines. I'll definitely be checking out some of the stuff in the first posts, too.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Aeana said:
Thanks for this thread. I stopped reading many comics after the last time I moved out of Japan back in 1996 or so. The last thing I remember reading was Detective Conan, but stopped on that since it was no longer readily available at my new home (I can't believe it's still going!). I've been looking at stuff again recently, but have found it very hard to find recommendations that fit my taste. It seems like everybody is all into those shounen action comics like Naruto, which I don't like. I'm currently in the middle of Fruits Basket, and love it to death. I'd love to find some more stuff along those lines. I'll definitely be checking out some of the stuff in the first posts, too.
You hate shonen action comics but love Fruits Basket? Yeah, I think its safe to say you'd like most shojo comics. Fruits Basket is the 2nd most popular shojo in Japan and one of the most popular mangas overall in America. So you'd probably like stuff such as:

Ouran High School Host Club
Kimi ni Todoke/Reaching You
Nana​

I could also recommend other popular stuff like Skip Beat and Maid Sama but I won't since I hate them for being shitty and sexist. There's alot more stuff out there, however, its hard to recommend anything more niche without knowing what you like about Fruits Basket exactly (plus my knowledge of shojos isn't the greatest). This is the 'lesser known manga' thread though, so someone should have a list of niche shojos to recommend.

And since I've mentioned Ouran Host Club, I fully expect Shintoki to pop in here again

Aeana

grandjedi6 said:
You hate shonen action comics but love Fruits Basket? Yeah, I think its safe to say you'd like most shojo comics. Fruits Basket is the 2nd most popular shojo in Japan and one of the most popular mangas overall in America. So you'd probably like stuff such as:

Ouran High School Host Club
Kimi ni Todoke/Reaching You
Nana​

I could also recommend other popular stuff like Skip Beat and Maid Sama but I won't since I hate them for being shitty and sexist. There's alot more stuff out there, however, its hard to recommend anything more niche without knowing what you like about Fruits Basket exactly (plus my knowledge of shojos isn't the greatest). This is the 'lesser known manga' thread though, so someone should have a list of niche shojos to recommend.

And since I've mentioned Ouran Host Club, I fully expect Shintoki to pop in here again
Thanks, I'll look into those!

As for what I like about Fruits Basket, well... the romance stuff, and female lead character are probably the biggest draws. I haven't really thought about it other than that. I can say with certainty, some things I don't like are fighting that takes more than a few panels, brutality, gore, and giant robots. I love adventure stories, and drama, and stuff like that. I don't have a lot of experience with comics, but I can say that I've really enjoyed some shows that aired on noitaminA recently, like Library War, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Eden of the East. I also liked Daughter of Twenty Faces (though I didn't finish it). I guess that about sums up the stuff I've enjoyed in the last few years. I don't know if it's good enough to glean recommendations from, but I'm grateful for anything.

duckroll has been trying to get me to read Pluto, so I think that's what I'll check into next.

AFreak

Banned
Antimatter said:
Heh I was just about to say that, I like Samura's shorter work but Blade of the Immortal is something else. The art quality is getting absurd at this point too, the best there is with action and movement as far as I'm concerned.

I thought Tokyo Zombie was pretty awesome.

24ay6tu.jpg

Drawn with purposely bad art, the dead bodies dumped on Mt. Fuji come alive for a zombie apocalypse and the rich survivors make the poor fight zombies in arenas. Here's a brief look.

2w2rgw1.jpg

It's been my favorite art since I stumbled across it in a Books-A-Million down in the south. I bought the first 5 volumes Dark horse released and then I'm up to chapter 152 now(how many chapters are released, is he still doing it, the place I get the manga hasn't updated in forever). Anyway, it's definitely my favorite manga of all time. The art is just too good, the stories and characters are extremely well written (the antagonist Anotsu Kagehisa is a standout) and I love that most of the "evil" characters aren't just drawn purely evil(except for one of the most badass evil characters ever made, you know who that is ;).

Where was I going with this? Oh yeah, Blade of the Immortal is the best manga ever.

Lain

For shojo, if one likes Fruits Basket, I'd say Hoshi wa Utau by the same author could be a good read (I'm liking it, but I haven't read Fruits Basket).
Then there's also Honey and Clover.
Or the old but still going and still good Glass Mask.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Aeana said:

As for what I like about Fruits Basket, well... the romance stuff, and female lead character are probably the biggest draws. I haven't really thought about it other than that. I can say with certainty, some things I don't like are fighting that takes more than a few panels, brutality, gore, and giant robots. I love adventure stories, and drama, and stuff like that. I don't have a lot of experience with comics, but I can say that I've really enjoyed some shows that aired on noitaminA recently, like Library War, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, Eden of the East. I also liked Daughter of Twenty Faces (though I didn't finish it). I guess that about sums up the stuff I've enjoyed in the last few years. I don't know if it's good enough to glean recommendations from, but I'm grateful for anything.

duckroll has been trying to get me to read Pluto, so I think that's what I'll check into next.
Stay the hell away from Berserk then. :lol

Actually, most shonen and seinen manga will probably not be to your taste. However there are some stuff like Yotsuba and 20th Century Boys that you should enjoy. Throw them in with the shoujos I listed and you will hopefully find something you like.

Pluto's great, astonishing really.

Linkhero1

I love Monster so much. I love psychological thrillers. I'm reading through Monster right now but I've already watched the anime. I need something just as good as soon as I finish that's also in the psychological thriller genre.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Aeana said:

Nausicaa valley of the wind fits the bolded. Read it now!

Some other recommendations from me would include yotsuba, kare kano, 20th century boys. And as someone said earlier, yeah i would avoid berserk, and probably stuff like blade of the immortal, eden it's a endless world too.>_>

Pluto is easily the authors best and most "mature" work. You should probably read monster and 20th century boy first IMO though.

Jex

Everyone should go out and buy Pluto. Now.

Maybe then we can get a totally faithful anime version of it, like Monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom