• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP:Planescape Torment: gold standard storytelling

RangerX

Banned
I'm a gameplay first guy when it comes to gaming. Its always been a primary feature for me. I also grew up with crpgs. Planescape Torment opened up another world for me. It is the single most immersive world I have ever stepped into,including the witcher 3. I still quite like the gameplay; its proper tabletop in my eyes. Anyway how do you evaluate this game now gaf?

Hektor

Funnily enough i just finished a new playthrough yesterday.

Still one of the most interesting gameworlds in the genre.
Really well written, often funny dialogue; mechanically rich with very good questdesign and lots of actual role playing.

Having just replayed it i can't shake off the feeling that the RPG genre has regressed since then, more than anything else.

peakish

It's a testament to how much you can do almost purely with text in a game. Some sequences in it are more immersive than modern games with more detailed words purely thanks to the texts' lovely use of your imagination. Add an interesting, grotesque world, good companions and a great villain to that and you have a top tier game.

That and snapping peoples necks with skill checks in dialogue.

Planescape is the THE response to idea that text itself cannot be "gameplay". I was just as engaged as the most intense action game during the experience.

Tenrius

Funnily enough i just finished a new playthrough yesterday.

Still one of the most interesting gameworlds in the genre.
Really well written, often funny dialogue; mechanically rich with very good questdesign and lots of actual role playing.

Having just replayed it i can't shake off the feeling that the RPG genre has regressed since then, more than anything else.

I'd argue it hasn't really regressed. Planescape: Torment was something of a standout even back then, not really representative of the whole era. It's not like there hasn't been any exceptional RPGs since then, including those with heavy reliance on text (the prime example here being Age of Decadence in my opinion).

NeoBob688

I remember when this game came out. It was a very low key release. Once I played it I was utterly amazed. Truly phenomenally creative world. Stellar writing and atmosphere despite the low tech. A classic.

Top Bottom