• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

Peltz

I never thought of keeping a cat in my toolbox.

image.php

Asparagus

Seriously considering selling off my Super NES and Nintendo 64 stuff and putting that money back into NES and Famicom games and hardware. I don't hold nearly as much nostalgia for the SNES or N64 as much as I do the NES.

The only thing is that my library for both systems is less than a dozen games and it's all fairly common stuff so it's probably not worth much and not worth me selling.

I wish I could just 1:1 trade for the stuff I want.

If nothing else it clears up some space. I sold my N64 stuff recently and don't miss it. I do play on my SNES but I don't have the same attachement to it as I do with my NES so I'm happy to go the flash cart route.

koopas

>gets neo geo cd

>system works fine for the first month but starts giving me shit: makes weird noises ,takes multiple tries to read discs, etc.

>oh christ

>my cat gets agitated and jumps on the goddamn neo geo

>this dissplace the laser lens, which somehow fixes the issue. the ngcd is back to reading discs just fine

She was probably responsible for it being defective in the first place, but um, can't complain.
I feel like I just read this story in the letters to the Editor page of a Nintendo Power. All that's missing is a bad quality photo of the cat watching you play. Haha

>gets neo geo cd

>system works fine for the first month but starts giving me shit: makes weird noises ,takes multiple tries to read discs, etc.

>oh christ

>my cat gets agitated and jumps on the goddamn neo geo

>this dissplace the laser lens, which somehow fixes the issue. the ngcd is back to reading discs just fine

She was probably responsible for it being defective in the first place, but um, can't complain.

lol, Neo CDs can be finicky so I'm glad it worked out.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
i don't have a saturn or Jyp ps2 yet but i want to play it.

(i'm only played raystorm and crisis) i heard rayforce is the best of the 3

Rayforce is definitely the best of the three, by far. I'd argue it's probably the most underrated shooter on the Saturn. Galactic Attack was dirt cheap for a long time, despite being one of the best shmups on the system, and while it seems like the price on that has crept up, people don't invoke the game like they do Battle Garegga or Batsugun... but they should.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
As I wrote in another thread, I have no idea if a 3DS contra was actually announced at any point or if the gaming press just had a collective hallucination.

also first time I hear of a gamecube one

I think it was teased in a video Konami made for E3 a few years ago, like in 2010 or something. But no, it was never officially announced.

Rich!

yooooooooo

I suddenly have more time for gaming, how about that!?!

I've got a free weekend now, so I'm thinking of adding some phono sockets to my N64 - every single SCART cable I have tried, including the shittingly expensive ones, results in audio buzzing on bright scenes. Would it fix it?

Lettuce

yooooooooo

I've got a free weekend now, so I'm thinking of adding some phono sockets to my N64 - every single SCART cable I have tried, including the shittingly expensive ones, results in audio buzzing on bright scenes. Would it fix it?

Have you tried a different power pak??

Doesn't the N64 have some pretty atypical audio hardware? I wouldn't be surprised if that buzzing was endemic. I haven't messed around too much with my N64, though.

Peltz

yooooooooo

That's quite odd. N64 should sound buzz-free.

Khaz

If the buzz comes from the Scart cable it could. Don't forget to disconnect the audio that goes in the cable when you do the mod, as the cable interferences can creep back up. RCA audio out should be your only audio output.

Glowsquid

I think it was teased in a video Konami made for E3 a few years ago, like in 2010 or something. But no, it was never officially announced.

There was a lame teaser for a cancelled Contra reboot (inexplicably made by the Spec Ops: The Line people) at Konami's E3 2011 conference, but it didn't specify platforms.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
There was a lame teaser for a cancelled Contra reboot (inexplicably made by the Spec Ops: The Line people) at Konami's E3 2011 conference, but it didn't specify platforms.

Yeah, this is what Im thinking about. Guess I just assumed it was for the 3DS-game. I have no idea why they always have to outsource these games to mediocre western studios :(

Rich!

I did a quick test last night, no modifications, and taking audio straight from the board and bypassing the multi out does stop the audio buzz. Weird.

I'll probably hack together a scart cable to add phono input later (as in the end of the phono cable hooked up to the audio pins of the scart) and add a couple of jacks to the back of the N64

D.Lo

Buzz on bright screens will pretty much always be the scart cable.

If it were at the source it would buzz all the time. Bright scenes buzz means a build up of picture interference and that will build up along the length of the cable.

Really happy today, I've been searching for a Famicom copy of Rescue Rangers and today it arrived, along with a couple more Capcom releases for the Famicom/FDS:
9PpzxlM.jpg

Kamen no Ninja (Yo! Noid in America), Samurai Sword and Rescue Rangers. Really happy to tick these games off my list, now looking ahead the most expensive Capcom games missing are all Gameboy Colour games (oh, and 1941 for the PC Engine).

BTails

Guys, I made a mistake... I looked at the PC Gamer Top 100 list thread. Where's X-Com UFO Defense? Where's Gabriel Knight? Wing Commander? Meanwhile, people in the thread are criticizes the list for being "too old", talking about how dated the graphics on Skyrim are.

I'm sorry I ventured to the bad side... Hold me Retro-GAF.

Glowsquid

Guys, I made a mistake... I looked at the PC Gamer Top 100 list thread. Where's X-Com UFO Defense? Where's Gabriel Knight? Wing Commander? Meanwhile, people in the thread are criticizes the list for being "too old", talking about how dated the graphics on Skyrim are.

You made look up that thread out of morbid curiosity and

"Love Half Life 2, but putting it third on games you can still enjoy playing today in 2016 seems to be far too generous."

Peltz

It still doesn't top this line:

"1080p looks like a blurry mess in 2016."

After that, I decided to stop talking about graphics with most of GAF.

Are we still posting game room setups? I'm a little late on this, but it's been busy. (IKEA warning)

Overview shot:

My setup is a bit different from most of yours. I don't keep everything hooked up at once; I've mentioned before but I just swap out consoles. The way that works is by default, most systems stay disconnected on the left:

Then I have two system bays under the TV behind the IKEA doors, backs cut out for airflow (excuse the rats nest behind, it's not easy to cable manage this stuff and it's usually hidden by the doors):

I've set this up so that systems can share cables as much as possible This way I don't need to swap cords so much, I don't need to own as many high quality cords, and I can minimize interference.

On the left, PS1, PS2, J-PS2, Saturn, Dreamcast, Wii. Wii really only shares a decent-quality component cable with PS2 but I didn't have another great spot for it... otherwise everything else shares a power cable, and the PS systems can share AV cables. So, I can swap out the Wii for a Saturn pretty easily:

On the right, Famicom, Super Famicom, N64, GameCube, and Genesis. Famicom, Genesis, and SuFami can share a power cord, and of course the Nintendo systems can all use the same AV cord. The GC is really only used for Game Boy Player. Once again, it's a snap to swap the SuFami for the Fami:

In effect, I have all cartridge games on the right, and disc games on the left. I find this a pretty nice separation. The benefit of this is less swapping cables at the FM. Usually this console swapping out works out great, the only case where it doesn't is when I want to play 2 games on-and-off at the same time in the same bay... doesn't happen so often though.

I also have a bin full of controllers and accessories:

As well as a door on the far right for newer systems, which just stay hooked up, along with a PC next to all this:

A 3DS shrine charge center (not pictured: 3 other 3DSes):

For games I currently have on two IKEA billy shelves. I planned on getting more but it turns out I don't have as many games as I thought, and I had to fill space on these shelves with Gunpla boxes. I need to make more space for a few more SuFami games so... this is going to need to change soon.

I like to use my limited set of game boxes as decorations at the back of the shelf, mostly to keep them out of the way and undisturbed while still using that art:

Fami/SuFami/N64 games are all sorted lexicographically. I'm not too keen on making end labels, but at least with this system I can binary search and find games pretty quick.

Game Boy / Handheld stuff is sprawling out. I've mentioned before but I prefer to keep my GB games loosely sorted in small stacks. I'm kinda considering the nail polish shelf thing, but this is fine for now.

Bonus glory shot of dat RGB*:

*I lied, s-video-4-lyfe.

Rich!

Great setup.

Once I'm in a better financial situation I too will invest in upscalers, pal-ntsc mods and everdrives.

You will never get there if you keep chasing the Retro Games dragon. Believe me I've been there the hunger never ends .....

*cries*

lol no its easy

do all the mods yourself. Only took me three months to get to the stage I'm at, and at a fraction of the price.

Timu

Any new news on those Dreamcast component cables?
Nope, though these guys are thinking about it.

"Sega Dreamcast Component Cable

We currently have a very rough, yet working, prototype of a Sega Dreamcast component cable. This was actually the first prototype we ever made that was put into cable form. Depending on levels of interest and the success of our Genesis/SNES component cables, we may turn towards development of a production quality cable.

The main difference between this cable and our other component cables is that this one supports 480p in addition to 240p/480i (288p/576i for PAL).

Why make a Dreamcast component cable when the console already natively supports VGA? Several reasons:

Not all TVs have VGA inputs. Newer, budget HDTVs in particular, have trended towards dropping support for it.
Not all Dreamcast games and software support VGA mode. This requires you to either fiddle with the coding on the disc (IP.BIN bootloader), or drop to s-video or composite video.
Like all our other cables, the signals coming from the console are analyzed and then conditioned for the best possible output."

Top Bottom