• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Teknoman

Wow, great post. I bookmarked that thread. Nice summary there.

I would love to see some kind of Top 25 or Top 50 voted on by the regulars in this thread sometime.

EDIT: Just read all of that thread (only two pages) and I wish I would have been on GAF and searching for retro info sooner. I was only GAF just two years after this thread was made but wasn't looking for retro info here at the time... There's talk on about how Metal Storm is highly undervalued and usually just goes for a few dollars at that time .... Bah.

I think game crazy was still around then too, and with the classic plastic sales.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Jeez, what is the story with Metal Storm? Did it get a small print run?

Also yeah, it's really depressing to think that not even ten years ago you could get most of the NES classics for less than $10. If only we knew.

Congrats.

B&DD is one of the very few vintage carts I've sold in the last 10 or 15 years. In fact I don't even recall selling it. I know I owned it at one point but couldn't find it when I got seriously back into collecting a couple years ago. I must have sold it because I recall not liking it much and I remember that it was one of my more valuable carts ... it was like $15 or $20 at the time. Would love to know what you think of it today.

I'll let you know when I play it again for the first time in over 20 years, haha.

I remember really liking it. But then again, I also really like Battletoads, and the Double Dragon games.

What do you think of Battletoads, besides it being stupidly difficult?

Teknoman

Also yeah, it's really depressing to think that not even ten years ago you could get most of the NES classics for less than $10. If only we knew.

Yeah I was just getting out of high school, still riding on that HD / motion control gen hype. Bought a few retro games here and there, but thats about it heh.

I'll let you know when I play it again for the first time in over 20 years, haha.

I remember really liking it. But then again, I also really like Battletoads, and the Double Dragon games.

What do you think of Battletoads, besides it being stupidly difficult?

Not big on Battletoads but that's owing to the difficulty. I really like the first couple of levels. Not sure why I didn't like B&DD ... can't recall what it was that turned me off.

I think game crazy was still around then too, and with the classic plastic sales.

It wasn't necessarily a low print run, I believe it just was overlooked . I remember seeing Metal Storm pretty frequently here around different stores in San Antonio.

As for games, yes, I remember picking up most of my library <Metal Storm included> between 2001-2008 with 2001-2004 being the most active years due to those clearance sales. Those were the cheap years too. Metal Storm was about $2.99 for example.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Would it be kosher to sell or trade Famicom carts in this thread? I have a few duplicate carts in my collection and I'd love to trade for something of comparable value.

OnPoint

Would it be kosher to sell or trade Famicom cards in this thread? I have a few duplicate carts in my collection and I'd love to trade for something of comparable value.

I don't see a problem with it. I'd say any one can list what you they have for trade (and maybe stuff they might want), and if people are into that stuff, negotiations can be done VIA PM so as to not clutter up the thread.

I would also recommend any successful transactions be rated in the BST thread.

I don't see a problem with it. I'd say any one can list what you they have for trade (and maybe stuff they might want), and if people are into that stuff, negotiations can be done VIA PM so as to not clutter up the thread.

I would also recommend any successful transactions be rated in the BST thread.

Agree. So long as they don't clutter the threads, I would say occasional posts about selling or trading would be ok - it's going directly to your niche audience.

OnPoint

GrBwstP.png

August is gone! Adventure Island was our pick but it, too, now is gone as well!
Keeping the ball rolling for us is the landslide winner by Sunsoft,
Blaster Master! This frog-chasing caper is a true classic!​

TO22dbN.png

Let's get dat Wikipedia description up and moving:
The game features a character named Jason who follows his pet frog Fred down a hole in the earth. There he finds a tank and uses it to battle radioactive mutants. The player controls Jason and the tank Sophia the 3rd through eight levels of gameplay to find the whereabouts of Fred and to defeat the mutants and their leader, the Plutonium Boss. The game was praised for its smooth play control and level designs, detailed and clean graphics, and music, and it was criticized for its high difficulty level and lack of passwords or save points.​

Here's how the voting shook out for anyone interested.

!I don't know if any other game voted in has won by such a large margin.
Y'all better be playing and discussing this one!

Header image by D Lo, Monthly image made
by Wanyodos. Guidelines below by RavenholmDX. Selection Process by OnPoint.
Thanks guys!

NES Game Club Guidelines
The nominated title should be readily available via standard
channels such as eBay, for a reasonable price (Maximum $30,
preferably less to give the majority of people a chance to join
in). The title should be a licensed NES/Famicom title (No hacks,
homebrew, multicarts). Only exception is unlicensed, but readily available titles.
The title should be available in English, and if not, it should at the very least be
playable without knowledge of Japanese.

Due to the nature of the Club, excessively long or grind-heavy
games such as RPGs will be excluded.

Use this site to check prices.

Selection Process
Games can be nominated starting one day after the post for a month's pick
goes live (eg: if a game is posted on March 4, nominations open on March 5).

The first five games suggested after nominations open that have not yet been played,
and were not nominated the month before will be added to the list and will be voted on.

So be sure to come in early to nominate your favorites!

Five days after the nominations open, or when we reach five nominations (whichever
comes first) the nominations are tallied in the following manner:
The list of nominees are checked for infringements of the above
guidelines, and any not meeting the requirements are removed.
The voting list will be shuffled for each member voting.
Voting will take place until the 20th day of the month, at which point the poll will
close and the votes will be tallied.
The winner will be announced as soon as the tally is counted so that members
will have time to pick up the winning game.

Previous months:
- August 2016 - Adventure Island
- July 2016 - Zanac
- June 2016 - Conquest of the Crystal Palace
- May 2016 - Wrecking Crew
- April 2016 - Street Fighter 2010
- March 2016 -The Guardian Legend
- February 2016 - Shatterhand
- January 2016 - Rygar
- December 2015 - Super Mario 3
- November 2015 - Faxanadu
- October 2015 - Monster Party

OnPoint

Sorry I was a day early guys. I'm leaving for PAX tomorrow and I won't be back on to post it until Tuesday at least.

Start playing it while I'm gone!

bearbytes

Yes!

I've been so busy recently with moving and finishing up development on my game (released today!) that I've barely had any time to play my NES, even though I have a nice new set up. I pop into the thread and what do I see? Blaster Master, one of my absolute favorites. I'll definitely be putting some time into it tonight.

Were there any ever official NES games that look up more than average the amount of space in the cartridge? Looking through my games they are all on comparatively tiny chips to the size of the NES cart.

Though all that extra space may make for a nice hiding place...

bearbytes

A lot of the early game boards were really small, and while I've seen some that are bigger than that ( and have spots for batteries and things) I've never seen one with a really large board. For the most part they had to fit into Famicom shells as well, though I think some Famicom cart shells were a bit larger than the standard size?

A lot of the early game boards were really small, and while I've seen some that are bigger than that ( and have spots for batteries and things) I've never seen one with a really large board. For the most part they had to fit into Famicom shells as well, though I think some Famicom cart shells were a bit larger than the standard size?

Yeah I don't think any NES boards fill up that whole shell. They're are all mostly the same size.

-KRS-

I would like to point out to the thread:

Blaster Master has limited continues.

Please keep this in mind as you play.
Yup. Main reason I haven't beaten it. I think I've gotten to the last stage though, so I just need to get better and stop dying so much in the earlier stages :p

rothgar

Yup. Main reason I haven't beaten it. I think I've gotten to the last stage though, so I just need to get better and stop dying so much in the earlier stages :p

I did beat it, but only by using the paused grenade trick on some of the bosses. Great game, but you definitely needed more continues.

I've just had a moment of madness and shelled out for a copy of Little Samson (PAL B) version and Snow Brothers (NTSC) :S

Nice. I have a Sampson repro, one of only two in my collection. The other is SMB2J on an NES cart. Would love to have Snow Bros but I think I'll get the Genesis version at some point instead.

-KRS-

I've just had a moment of madness and shelled out for a copy of Little Samson (PAL B) version and Snow Brothers (NTSC) :S

Well at least now you have them though. And they'll probably only become worth more in the future. At least that's what I tell myself when buying something expensive like that haha. :D

I did beat it, but only by using the paused grenade trick on some of the bosses. Great game, but you definitely needed more continues.

Yeah I did use that trick, but I just couldn't beat the last stage itself haha. Some of the enemy placement is pretty unforgiving IIRC. Still I always had a great time playing it. Looking forward to jump in this month, since it's been at least a few years since last time.

Oh man. I did the same thing recently, but not nearly to that extreme. But good! Now you have them! Congrats!

Nice. I have a Sampson repro, one of only two in my collection. The other is SMB2J on an NES cart. Would love to have Snow Bros but I think I'll get the Genesis version at some point instead.

I hope you mean repro for Genesis.

Snow Bros on Megadrive JP was my holy grail for awhile.. 400 dollar price on amazon when I was following it. It's now 700. Hah.

I intend to get a Genesis Repro too.

As a huge fan of the NES version, after playing the Megadrive rom, I can tell you I now prefer that version. I don't know if you've played it, but there are more stages after the NES version's final boss, and it's great.

Cogwheels

Neo Member
Thanks guys. I got Snow Bros (loose cart, great condition) for about $170, which I think is a bit below "market price". Only 1 more expensive Capcom game to get (Chip & Dale 2) and then I have all of the Capcom NES games :)

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Thanks guys. I got Snow Bros (loose cart, great condition) for about $170, which I think is a bit below "market price". Only 1 more expensive Capcom game to get (Chip & Dale 2) and then I have all of the Capcom NES games :)

I like to collect NES and Famicom games but I think my limit is $70. The most expensive cart I plan on picking up eventually is Castlevania 3 for around $65ish, but even then I hope a auction comes along that allows me to get it cheaper.

-KRS-

Played some Blaster Master just now. Got up to Area 5 before getting a game over. I must've gotten worse since the last time... well I did have a few beers before playing haha. What better way to spend the evening than with Blaster Master and a few belgian trappist beers? :) Died at the boss of that level, who isn't affected by the pause glitch so it was quite tough. Speaking of the pause glitch, one thing I noticed is that it applies to you as well! If you happen to take damage when pausing, you'll continue to take damage while it's paused. So be careful when using the glitch.

Things I like about the game are obviously the graphics and music. It has that awesome Naoki Kodaka sound that Sunsoft's later games all have. Some of the bosses look pretty impressive. I'm guessing since the backgrounds are always black during the boss fights they cleverly use background tiles combined with sprites to create the bosses, which is what allows them to be so large. The level design is also pretty decent. And the controls are excellent for the most part, as usual from Tokai Engineering.

Things I don't like so much is the way some of the enemies are placed in the levels. Often they'll appear above/below you without warning when jumping up/down, and you have no chance to react. Other times they seem to be moving against the doors while you're entering a room, leading to them walking right into you before you regain control of the character. It just feels pretty cheap, and was the main reason I lost health for the most part.

Overall an excellent game though, and I look forward to trying to beat it this month.

Velinos

Were there any ever official NES games that look up more than average the amount of space in the cartridge? Looking through my games they are all on comparatively tiny chips to the size of the NES cart.

Though all that extra space may make for a nice hiding place...

The largest "official" boards were the NWC carts, which were essentially prototype carts since they had EPROMs instead of regular chips. Outside of those, I think Castlevania 3 was probably the largest board since it did have the upgraded sound chip.

As far as hiding stuff in an NES cart, I remember hearing a story a few years ago about someone buying an NES cart once and noticed that it felt heavy. They opened it and found $5000 stashed in it. No idea if there is any validity to that story.

-KRS-

The largest "official" boards were the NWC carts, which were essentially prototype carts since they had EPROMs instead of regular chips. Outside of those, I think Castlevania 3 was probably the largest board since it did have the upgraded sound chip.

As far as hiding stuff in an NES cart, I remember hearing a story a few years ago about someone buying an NES cart once and noticed that it felt heavy. They opened it and found $5000 stashed in it. No idea if there is any validity to that story.

Castlevania III didn't have the sound chip in the west, although the board is indeed pretty large compared to other NES games. http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=15

Oddly enough the japanese board with the sound chip is actually smaller. http://bootgod.dyndns.org:7777/profile.php?id=3316

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
So if the FDSstick only needs the RAM adapter, and not the disk reader unit itself, that must mean the extra FDS sound channels are actually created inside the RAM adapter?

BTails

So if the FDSstick only needs the RAM adapter, and not the disk reader unit itself, that must mean the extra FDS sound channels are actually created inside the RAM adapter?

Yup. From what I've read, the disk unit itself is only there to read data and feed it to the RAM adapter.

BocoDragon

Yup. From what I've read, the disk unit itself is only there to read data and feed it to the RAM adapter.
Hmm interesting. Thanks.

Well, I might get into the world of FDS soon enough. I suppose I could just buy the RAM adapter and an FDSstick but I definitely want the whole unit to collect disks for too. Decisions decisions.

I've splurged this past month on classic games, which I don't feel too bad about considering I had only bought one game in the span of a year or more.

Anyway, was just at a 'The Exchange' store. Didn't expect to find anything I wanted, but thought if take a look anyway.

Ended up getting Virtual Bart and Mystical Ninja on SNES, and then for NES, I saw a couple I had in the back if my mind, and a couple impulse buys.
Dash Galaxy, Mission Impossible, Strider, Jordan vs Bird, Vindicators, and Batman Returns.

I find it really fun that the NES library constantly surprises me. It didn't strike me until recently, that there are many more NES exclusives that don't show up on famicom. So I've been interested particularly in the exclusives, even if they aren't particularly great. On Famicom, I've got two Batman games, Batman, and Return of the Joker. I had no idea there was a Batman Returns game, made by Konami.. Really interesting. There were probably a dozen or more games at the store I don't think I've ever seen too. Vindicators I'm not familiar with, but it's a cool Tengen cartridge in nice condition. Never heard of Dash Galaxy until a week or two ago, and while I don't expect it to be great, I've a soft spot for Data East games, and the label artwork is great. Mission impossible has brilliant label art too.

Hey guys, which way is the proper way, or the way you like to sleeve your NES games?

Does the sleeve's exposed part reveal the game's label, or do you flip it and cover the label, with the ridged grippy part exposed?

I had always left the labels showing for visibility, but i can't say I'm certain about it.

What do you guys do?

I store mine in drawers so I only need to see the spine not the face. Therefore I sleeve them with the grip exposed. Much easier to grab and it better protects the labels from wear as I take them in and out.

And yeah, the NES/FC library is full of surprises. Been playing for 30 years and collecting for 20 and I still find things that surprise me. It's great fun to dig into.

Hmm interesting. Thanks.

Well, I might get into the world of FDS soon enough. I suppose I could just buy the RAM adapter and an FDSstick but I definitely want the whole unit to collect disks for too. Decisions decisions.

The hardware is finicky though. I have a drive and several disks and I get errors. I am likely going to get the Stick sometime soon. Can't decide if I'll sell all the FDS stuff (except the RAM adaptor) or if I'll continue to collect just for the sake of having the items.

bearbytes

Hey guys, which way is the proper way, or the way you like to sleeve your NES games?

Does the sleeve's exposed part reveal the game's label, or do you flip it and cover the label, with the ridged grippy part exposed?

I had always left the labels showing for visibility, but i can't say I'm certain about it.

What do you guys do?

I have all my loose NES games on a shelf label out with the grip at the bottom, and the taller end of the dust sleeve on the bottom/grip side. Then when I want to play something, I'll just grab the game by the grip, or slide it out from the top a bit with my finger and pull it out of the sleeve. I always leave the sleeve itself on the shelf, it keeps the games spot open and prevents the others for tilting/moving around.

I don't keep any manuals in the sleeves as it makes them too hard to slide out...
Haven't really found the right solution for those, so I guess to add on to your question, what are you guys doing with your manuals?

BocoDragon

I think the original intention was that the open part of the sleeve allowed you to grip the tab.

I used to treat it like it was to display the label, but I think that was mistaken. It's to grip it.

The hardware is finicky though. I have a drive and several disks and I get errors. I am likely going to get the Stick sometime soon. Can't decide if I'll sell all the FDS stuff (except the RAM adaptor) or if I'll continue to collect just for the sake of having the items.

You might as well grab one. It's probably the cheapest "retro upgrade" I've seen yet.

D.Lo

I think that's got to be a misaligned drive. I've basically had zero problems for 20 years of FDS. The odd error, but a much lower rate than cart problems.

BTails

Hey someone figured out how to get light gun games on to work on HDTVs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzIPGpKo3Ag Looks complicated though.

Neat solution, if a little unwieldy. It'd be cool if someone took this idea and ran with it, creating a more practical consumer version: a custom attachement for popular light guns and an easy to set up hardware.

Of course, it'd also have to be upgrade to use RGB, none of this composite malarky!

Top Bottom