• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2016 | I don't have unlimited money

awp69

Yes, during Steam Early Access

Touch Arcade have made it game of the week!

Apparently it's the first game to support Apple Music streaming?

Actually, there apparently is a little miscommunication going on with that. I guess you can play tracks off iTunes that don't have DRM but not streamed tracks from Apple Music.

Supposedly they say you can request songs so that they can manually create the tracks for them.

From the thread on TA:

Hi guys,

We can't access the wave data on Apple Music tracks because they have DRM on. We therefore need to create the racetracks at our end and add them to the Apple Music section in the game.

You can create / play a track for any DRM free song purchased from the iTunes store, but when playing Apple Music you need to race from our curated playlists in the Apple Music section.

If there are specific songs you'd like to see in there, post them here and we'll add them to a playlist so you can race them.

We'd love to be able to let you race any Apple Music track of your choice but right now the service just doesn't let us take it that far.

Thanks, Phil (FOAM)]

awp69

Go Phil! (my buddy)

I think it's safe to say that it supports Apple Music, with that one (fairly big) caveat.

Yeah, sounds like it's not really their fault. If Apple creates an API for their music service, I think it should fully support it.

I do hope they can add Spotify to the game but imagine they would have the same DRM issues.

One game I'm looking out for this month is Treasure Buster, made by Pixel Licker, the same developer behind Slayin' and music provided by none other than Matt "Norrin_Radd" Creamer, one of the composers behind Retro CIty Rampage.

Gameplay Trailer (shown back in March during GDC)

It's basically a 16-bit Monster Strike AFAIK, but what got my attention is the awesome Genesis-style music being used.

Creamer has a couple of videos up on how he made some of the music.
Character Select (music in 1:00)
Gel Cube Boss (music in 1:21)

One game I'm looking out for this month is Treasure Buster, made by Pixel Licker, the same company behind Slayin' and music provided by none other than Matt "Norrin_Radd" Creamer (one of the composers behind Retro CIty Rampage).

Trailer

It's basically a 16-bit Monster Strike AFAIK, but what got my attention is the awesome Genesis-style music being used.

Character Select
Slime Boss
Whoa, a new game from the Slayin devs?!

sheaaaa

One game I'm looking out for this month is Treasure Buster, made by Pixel Licker, the same developer behind Slayin' and music provided by none other than Matt "Norrin_Radd" Creamer, one of the composers behind Retro CIty Rampage.

Gameplay Trailer (shown back in March during GDC)

Character Select (music in 1:00)
Gel Cube Boss (music in 1:21)

This looks really cool. Out this month?

This looks really cool. Out this month?

Most likely.
Here's an update from the Pixel Licker site as of August 29.
Treasure Buster is in the home stretch. Just a minor bug or two left. In the meantime, I have been working on some illustrations for the launch to help with promoting the game and the soundtrack. My skills are waning a bit due to lack of practice, but I am pretty happy with how they turned out. It makes me want to get more painting time in again going forward.

sheaaaa

Most likely.
Here's an update from the Pixel Licker site as of August 29.

Great! Always intrigued by these games with very similar play mechanics to the huge, huge F2P Japanese games like Monster Strike, Puzzle & Dragons and so on. Gives me a way to see what the fuss is about without partaking in the whole F2P circus (assuming this game is paid). Bought the 3DS P&D for that same reason.

Curious about Dragon Quest Builders for a similar reason, as Minecraft never quite appealled to me.

Pachimari

Having played A New Life some more I don't feel like I can recommend it. It has relaxing music and some beautiful interface, but it isn't enough to make you play much more than two playthroughs, where in the interest will start to fade.

I'm also disappointed in Lost in Harmony which wants me to get five Facebook friends to actually install the game in order for me to progress, which seems strange, as I haven't found an alternative method to progress. It has a soothing soundtrack, and a very interesting story, lending on the sad side.

[edit] What a nice surprise! I found out, I had a movie taking up 8gb of space on my iPad from my vacation earlier this year. So I have immediately erased it.

awp69

Having played A New Life some more I don't feel like I can recommend it. It has relaxing music and some beautiful interface, but it isn't enough to make you play much more than two playthroughs, where in the interest will start to fade.

I'm also disappointed in Lost in Harmony which wants me to get five Facebook friends to actually install the game in order for me to progress, which seems strange, as I haven't found an alternative method to progress. It has a soothing soundtrack, and a very interesting story, lending on the sad side.

[edit] What a nice surprise! I found out, I had a movie taking up 8gb of space on my iPad from my vacation earlier this year. So I have immediately erased it.

Strange. I have Lost in Harmony and was never asked to give Facebook friends...or if I was I certainly never was impeded from progressing. It's a great game.

Edit: Maybe you're referring to the "Next Adventure". There really isn't any content there. It's a placeholder and think they're just trying to get more support to be able to work on it (this the bar which shows how close they are).

Pachimari

Strange. I have Lost in Harmony and was never asked to give Facebook friends...or if I was I certainly never was impeded from progressing. It's a great game.

Edit: Maybe you're referring to the "Next Adventure". There really isn't any content there. It's a placeholder and think they're just trying to get more support to be able to work on it (this the bar which shows how close they are).
Oh, this is encouraging to hear, because I'm really liking the game. I just don't understand how I have completed 3 stages and then there's no more? Suddenly I were playing Chapter 0 after doing stage 1 and 2. It left me confused.

awp69

Oh, this is encouraging to hear, because I'm really liking the game. I just don't understand how I have completed 3 stages and then there's no more? Suddenly I were playing Chapter 0 after doing stage 1 and 2. It left me confused.

Three stages? There's a lot more than that. Hmm...

So you're getting that just after playing 3 songs in the only available adventure? I played through the whole game which I know is at least 10 songs. I'd have to go back to see just how many. But never was asked about FB unless I clicked on the "next adventure" button.

That Chapter 0 was a prologue they recently added I believe, which you can play with the female character.

Just opened it again and had deleted after getting a new phone. Looks like there is 13 songs including that chapter 0. Also looks like my progress reset, which is odd because I had deleted/redownloaded before without losing my save.

If I get a chance today, I'll play through it again. Maybe they changed something.

Pachimari

Yeah, I expected there to be more than 3 stages, although I don't know why only 3 stages are unlocked here. And yeah, the Facebook friends thing is the "Next adventure" which I assumed were the next step, since it didn't unlock any more stages in the main game. I'll try start it up again. It's probably just me who has missed something.

[edit] Also, I'm watching Steins;Gate and have no idea what I'm watching, although it is interesting.

awp69

Yeah, I expected there to be more than 3 stages, although I don't know why only 3 stages are unlocked here. And yeah, the Facebook friends thing is the "Next adventure" which I assumed were the next step, since it didn't unlock any more stages in the main game. I'll try start it up again. It's probably just me who has missed something.

[edit] Also, I'm watching Steins;Gate and have no idea what I'm watching, although it is interesting.

Just played through the the first four chapters and chapter five is unlocked. Could it be that you didn't get a 50% or higher on the last stage? That would stop the next one from being unlocked

Pachimari

Just played through the the first four chapters and chapter five is unlocked. Could it be that you didn't get a 50% or higher on the last stage? That would stop the next one from being unlocked
Hmm, now my Chapter 3 score isn't there anymore. Strange. Guess I'll unlock Chapter 4 when getting 50% + in Chapter 3 as you say. I'll try it out later tonight. Currently playing Lumines, and can't put it down.

Actually, there apparently is a little miscommunication going on with that. I guess you can play tracks off iTunes that don't have DRM but not streamed tracks from Apple Music.

Supposedly they say you can request songs so that they can manually create the tracks for them.

From the thread on TA:

I'm not that annoyed because it was a dollar, but I am irritated by how this is so much more limited than the App Store blurb made you think it would be.

I ever mention Nowhere Prophet here? Another game I'm excited for. It's slated for PC first, coming to tablets later
http://noprophet.com/
tumblr_obos1gYhxM1uqdtdco1_1280.gif
conflict.jpg

location.jpg
map.jpg
It's a roguelike with card-game based combat and random events on a post apocalyptic frontier planet

killercow

The latest update to Soltairica makes the game faster by removing pre-battles animations and prettier by fixing the textures. It's certainly much better looking now.

Voidance

The latest update to Soltairica makes the game faster by removing pre-battles animations and prettier by fixing the textures. It's certainly much better looking now.
A side effect for me has been it made my textures blurry on my SE. They were nice and crisp prior to the update.

Nelo Ice

Banned
So Teeny Titans is amazing. I feel bad for being cheap and waiting for the .99 sale lol. If I wasn't so focused on programming I'd be completely hooked on trying to collect all the figures.

awp69

Was it a SE game?

No. It was something just released in that last month or so. Remember reading it in one of the TA threads. My memory is going.

Found it: Space Marshals 2

Dev's were working on a fix but I don't see anything in the release notes for updates so far.

Bigfoot

So Teeny Titans is amazing. I feel bad for being cheap and waiting for the .99 sale lol. If I wasn't so focused on programming I'd be completely hooked on trying to collect all the figures.
I just came here to post this too. I bought it for 0.99 too. I've been away from iOS gaming GAF for sometime so no idea if this game was ever discussed when it came out. The game has great humour too...
I loved how Cyborg showed up as the boss of the first tournament

How is the game by the World of Goo team that went on sale last week? It looks interesting. Sorry, can't remember the name now but I was looking at it earlier on the App Store but never bought it.

I just came here to post this too. I bought it for 0.99 too. I've been away from iOS gaming GAF for sometime so no idea if this game was ever discussed when it came out. The game has great humour too...
I loved how Cyborg showed up as the boss of the first tournament

How is the game by the World of Goo team that went on sale last week? It looks interesting. Sorry, can't remember the name now but I was looking at it earlier on the App Store but never bought it.
Human Resource Machine, and it is an excellent puzzle game

And also on sale for $0.99
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/human-resource-machine/id1005098334

Heh, I asked the final question on this talk :)
Cool!

The early concepts looked very interesting

===

Intriguingly, the internal aspiration for Hitman was "the essence of assassination". For Lara Croft, it was "the essence of adventure". Makes me wonder what the process was for Deus Ex GO, because I feel like they didn't capture the essence of the franchise's core tenets like they did with Hitman and LC.

He talks about how they didn't want to recreate classic Tomb Raider, but capture the nostalgic remembrance we have of the series, the adventure of it. And that's where I think Deus Ex falters. Well, on it looks too much like a pretty retread of Hitman, which is something that distinctly avoided with Lara Croft. The single planes, the dioramic levels, the "puzzle piece" enemies. The current look of Jenson and using the same visual motifs of Human Revolution and Mankind Divided made it too closely related visually. And the gameplay didn't feel like "real Deus Ex" the way Hitman GO felt like distilled Hitman or LC GO felt like distilled Tomb Raider

Essence of hacking, which the game is about in big chunks.
But that's not the core of the game. That's just tiny sliver of what Deus Ex is. Like assassination is Hitman. Adventure is Tomb Raider. I'd argue immersive sim or player choice is Deus Ex

He talks about how they didn't want to recreate classic Tomb Raider, but capture the nostalgic remembrance we have of the series, the adventure of it. And that's where I think Deus Ex falters. It looks too much like a prettier retread of Hitman both gameplay and aesthetic wise, which is something that they distinctly avoided with Lara Croft. The single planes, the dioramic levels, the "puzzle piece" enemies. The current look of Jenson and using the same visual motifs of Human Revolution and Mankind Divided makes it seem like a lesser stripped-down version of modern Deus Ex rather than an interpretation of Deus Ex. And the gameplay didn't feel like "real Deus Ex" the way Hitman GO felt like distilled Hitman or LC GO felt like distilled Tomb Raider

Ideally, I would have gone more for the style of older Deus Ex, give it a more low-poly papercraft-y look to fit the classic aesthetic, and maybe bring back that pop-up book concept. The level would fold and change around you as you choose different routes, with the routes offering abstracted takes on combat, stealth, or hacking playstyles.

itsJprof

Neo Member
Solitairica is amazing, it's by far my favorite iOS game because I think this is what a mobile game should be;
  • Smooth art design/clean graphics
  • Fitting controls/touch gameplay
  • playable in bites while being deep enough to be immersed in its metagame.

and it delivers...note: I don't even like solitaire, I think it's boring, stupid and I don't get people that play it but holy crap this game is good. YUP, it's THAT good

Pachimari

With all of this praise keep coming, I'll give Solitairica another fair chance today. So I find out that you have to clear all the stages in one go, or else if you die, you'll have to start over from the first battle. There are some movements by the enemy that I don't understand though, and I'm yet sure how to figure out which items are effective against certain foes.

For example, what does this mean? That cards like the #4 is an attack card, but instead of filling up the attack meter, it'll fill up my defense meter?

KiDdYoNe

Ehhhh, I played Severed for about 2 hours and kinda got bored with it. Is there still a reason to play? The main mechanic was fun but it lasted not so long.

Top Bottom