• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Mafia |OT| Gotta Catch Em’ Scum!

Verelios

Happy Day 1, Pokepals!

As with last time, I'll pretty much always be keeping up to date with the thread on my phone, but posting anything substantial is tougher for me unless I'm at home.

Anyone play Pokemon Ranger? I think I enjoyed that one more than the mainline series. That, and the "free" one on the 3ds where the pokemon were windup toys.

I did play a few Pokemon Rangers, though I always just whiffed on it as other series in the genre were more interesting. Then I stumbled upon Pokemon Conquest, the number 1, numero uno, il Daebak spin-off. If you enjoyed the differences Rangers had from the mainline games, you'll probably like this.
Avatar is done, quick-and-dirty photoshop style. u_u

now i'm ready to play mafia.

how is everyone today?

think I'll keep up what I did last game and vote for someone I haven't played with before.

Vote: Verelios

Hello!

Who is your favorite Pokemon? Lynch or No Lynch? Explain to me in 5 words or less why Lugia's theme from Pokemon the Movie 2000 is the greatest thing ever.
My favorite Pokemon is obviously Tododile. What? Charizard fans can bite me, Greninja fans can also join in and bite me, water type pokemon are the true overlords of every region. 5 words aren't enough to explain why Lugia is the greatest legendary, but I'll give five a shot. POKEMON 2000, Who could resist! Doesn't quite describe Lugia's majesty.

Pokemon 2000,
Swept through the sky with anger,
Left ash behind

Good, good. I'm not that particular about lynch or no lynch, but if we really want to make everything fair then why not randomize it? Everyone gets an equal chance of being lynched, no one's sore (probably), and we all learn something for the day. Of course, if anyone has a better idea I'd like to listen.

roytheone

I did play a few Pokemon Rangers, though I always just whiffed on it as other series in the genre were more interesting. Then I stumbled upon Pokemon Conquest, the number 1, numero uno, il Daebak spin-off. If you enjoyed the differences Rangers had from the mainline games, you'll probably like this.

My favorite Pokemon is obviously Tododile. What? Charizard fans can bite me, Greninja fans can also join in and bite me, water type pokemon are the true overlords of every region. 5 words aren't enough to explain why Lugia is the greatest legendary, but I'll give five a shot. POKEMON 2000, Who could resist! Doesn't quite describe Lugia's majesty.

Pokemon 2000,
Left ash behind

Good, good. I'm not that particular about lynch or no lynch, but if we really want to make everything fair then why not randomize it? Everyone gets an equal chance of being lynched, no one's sore (probably), and we all learn something for the day. Of course, if anyone has a better idea I'd like to listen.

If we do that, we would have the disadvantage of day 1 lynch (likely to hit town) without the advantages (how did people react on certain trains, who voted on who etc). I am pro day 1 lynch since it creates discussion with stakes,just randomizeing it wouldn't do that.

nin1000

Banned
Why?

I've been on the 'always lynch Day 1' train forever and I still don't see the benefits of having a No Lynch. Do vote records not mean anything? Day 1 lynches are typically a shot in the dark but it does get connections and vote patterns started.

That is true, but i prefer to NOT take the chance of kill a townie D1. i agree on the part about voting patters and i just prefer not to see anyone get lynched on Day one.
To be clear if it comes down to a lynch i will of course bring down a vote on someone, dont get me wrong i just dont like it.

Sawneeks

Banned
Are anyone sticking out for you ATM?

Not at the moment besides you and Sophia, but then again like half the player list hasn't even checked in yet.

Pokemon 2000,
Left ash behind

You know, I was on board until you said Water pokemon are the best. Fire pokemon are clearly superior. I mean, have you seen Typhlosion?

It's not really about being fair, it's about starting to look for reactions, connections between people, and vote patterns. You can Scum Hunt based on gut reads but vote records don't lie. We give that up we basically give up a Day of Scum Hunting we can use later on.

What do you mean be 'we all learn something'? What do we learn if everyone's vote is predetermined and not chosen by them? :/

That is true, but i prefer to NOT take the chance of kill a townie D1. i agree on the part about voting patters and i just prefer not to see anyone get lynched on Day one.
To be clear if it comes down to a lynch i will of course bring down a vote on someone, dont get me wrong i just dont like it.

Hmmmmm. I guess I can see where you're coming from here? I just don't agree, we don't learn anything from a No Lynch and playing safe gets us nowhere.

Sophia

Do you scum read me? I didn't get an impression of that from your previous posts.

You're a null read, and a hard read. After Danny Phantom, I kind of want to pressure you hard just to see if I can figure you out.

Town is going to be wrong more often than not, you realize that right? You're saying we should save one person in favor of getting less information?

If we do that, we would have the disadvantage of day 1 lynch (likely to hit town) without the advantages (how did people react on certain trains, who voted on who etc). I am pro day 1 lynch since it creates discussion with stakes,just randomizeing it wouldn't do that.

Yeah. I'm not sure if there are any benefits to randomizing it. I'm leaning towards pro day 1 lynch myself, but if there's a solid argument as to why a no lynch is a better option then gaining flip information I'm willing to go for it.

Want to hold hands and sing Kumbaya? I'll even warm up my hand holders for you.

You know, I was on board until you said Water pokemon are the best. Fire pokemon are clearly superior. I mean, have you seen Typhlosion?

1267913678425.png

Ty4on

The lynch is the only tool town has to kill people. It's a big waste to not use it. Even if it's a townie we take out the biggest scum contender.

We don't know the power roles and investigative roles can die. The only tool we know will last to the end is the posts people make and the votes they put down. D1 can be a really big asset in the late game because every scum member is alive. If we end up with two dead scum later it would be super useful if both those scums were pressured on D1 and we could read how the other players reacted to it.

nin1000

Banned
Hmmmmm. I guess I can see where you're coming from here? I just don't agree, we don't learn anything from a No Lynch and playing safe gets us nowhere.

As i said, feel free to disagree. In my book we almost never learn something from a D1 lynch. But thats the beauty of it. We dont have to be on the same page everytime.

Ty4on

Should probably say:
"The only tool we know will last to the end is analysis of the posts and votes people make"

Paraphrasing because I'm on mobile and lazy.

nin1000

Banned
The lynch is the only tool town has to kill people. It's a big waste to not use it. Even if it's a townie we take out the biggest scum contender.
As i said those are my thoughts on Day 1 and i dont agree that it would be a waste NOT to use it.

We don't know the power roles and investigative roles can die. The only tool we know will last to the end is the posts people make and the votes they put down. D1 can be a really big asset in the late game because every scum member is alive. If we end up with two dead scum later it would be super useful if both those scums were pressured on D1 and we could read how the other players reacted to it.

that is like the first time i hear someone make a good argument for a lynch on D1. Thanks

nin1000

Banned
Town is going to be wrong more often than not, you realize that right? You're saying we should save one person in favor of getting less information?

I often prefer mafia games that start in the night phase so yes, i prefer going from a no lynch into D2.

Sophia

As i said, feel free to disagree. In my book we almost never learn something from a D1 lynch. But thats the beauty of it. We dont have to be on the same page everytime.

Ty4on may have already explained the benefits, but if you want to see a good Day 1 lynch in action go look at Mini Mafia. We nearly straight lynched the entire scum team because of it.

Sophia

I often prefer mafia games that start in the night phase so yes, i prefer going from a no lynch into D2.

But you understand that this isn't a night start game, yes? You're saying sacrifice the advantages of a day start, and sacrifice a townie, just to suit your preference?

nin1000

Banned
Ty4on may have already explained the benefits, but if you want to see a good Day 1 lynch in action go look at Mini Mafia. We nearly straight lynched the entire scum team because of it.

Thanks, but no thanks. I have no interest in re-reading old games. I get what you are trying to do but i also explained the benefits.
I hope we can close this chapter for now and go into the real meat.

FLUFF

nin1000

Banned
But you understand that this isn't a night start game, yes?
I am pretty sure Burb made that crystal clear in his opening post.

You're saying sacrifice the advantages of a day start, and sacrifice a townie, just to suit your preference?

I prefer 1 Town loss over a 2 Town loss nothing more nothing less. And just to make it clear sophia if i feel like it, i wont hesitate to vote on someone on D1.

Verelios

Well, I wouldn't mind a day 1 lynch, whichever way the axe falls.

Also, Typhlosion is the worst starter Pokemon, which is saying something since Meganium is just garbage.

Sophia

I prefer 1 Town loss over a 2 Town loss nothing more nothing less. And just to make it clear sophia if i feel like it, i wont hesitate to vote on someone on D1.

To each their own thing. I'm moving on, as I don't want to be on this subject all day and it's not helping me (or I suspect anyone else) determine if you're scum.

Gonna go take a look at the people who were being fluff-ish. There was a lot of fluff at day start.

Darryl

Banned
Arguing for a day lynch is pretty scummy. It's a wall of useless text. We all know that we aren't going to pass on the day lynch. I feel no need to confront Nin in order to change his beliefs, because I know that he will fail to no lynch. Maybe he can swing it at the last minute. I've tried pretty hard before to pass the day lynch (being town while doing it, the reasoning to want to pass the day phase in our meta is obvious) and failed horribly.

I can see a town player genuinely thinking that it is helpful and informative occurring very rarely. I can see a town player being bored and wanting to find stuff to talk about occurring infrequently, it's plausible. I can see a scum player trying to find things to latch onto in order to seem pro-discussion happening quite easily though.

Ty4on fits the profile of a player I'd expect to be scum and to feel the need to argue for a day lynch. It's a scum move with some confidence. Arguing for a day lynch can feel like you are asking to be held with more responsibility, which shows some comfort. It's very unhelpful discussion when you cut it down to the essentials. It's discussion for discussion sake, which is scum more often than not.

Vote: Ty4on

Shit wow this hydra game and super mini got me used to a bigger downtime between sign ups and game start XD

Mini Mafia was bs, I still hold this to be true XD

Also holy shit this game started so quickly I couldn't get a premade post ready, for shame burb

Btw, I promised myself that my next game I would nail a balance between Final Fantasy and Cthulhu hyper. Hpper 100% is about to be unleashed on you fools

Be ready

Hello Hyper. How do you feel about the current state of the game?

what I've registered reading the 3 pages once semi half asleep

Darryl back to new avatar
Roy supports better owl
Blarg came in, does flavor non important blarg stuff, leaves
Nin against lynch, seems that Aaqo have more fun/energy idk though, haven't read over time too much, going more off someone else's post here tbh
Darryl called out ty4on, good decent post but o don't think I even remember what ty4ons post was is where it is, so u gave no clue if it's any decent
Salva posted and I need to be more on top of this thread to make sure I can make things really confusing with him and I back to back
Dusk soldier likes triples
Fireblend tried a vgc trick room team, will kill he winners. I think he talked about set vs shift, btw, it has to be set because otherwise game is disgustingly unfair for AI

bra, did you know only 1 Asian elephant has ever passed the mirror test?

Oh god this thread is actually going to become a temporary GAFIA discord XD, down to the tired posting and everything

Hello fellow cute, animal neighbors. Let's start shall we?

VOTE: StanleyPalmtree

His avatar pic is starting to freak me out.
oh comethefuckon! you just won the last game from me being voted for no godddamn reason! now your just rubbing it in!

also regarding the avatar, i plan to make it something more fitting soon.
stay tuned.

Ty4on

Arguing for a day lynch is pretty scummy. It's a wall of useless text. We all know that we aren't going to pass on the day lynch. I feel no need to confront Nin in order to change his beliefs, because I know that he will fail to no lynch. Maybe he can swing it at the last minute. I've tried pretty hard before to pass the day lynch (being town while doing it, the reasoning to want to pass the day phase in our meta is obvious) and failed horribly.

I can see a town player genuinely thinking that it is helpful and informative occurring very rarely. I can see a town player being bored and wanting to find stuff to talk about occurring infrequently, it's plausible. I can see a scum player trying to find things to latch onto in order to seem pro-discussion happening quite easily though.

Ty4on fits the profile of a player I'd expect to be scum and to feel the need to argue for a day lynch. It's a scum move with some confidence. Arguing for a day lynch can feel like you are asking to be held with more responsibility, which shows some comfort. It's very unhelpful discussion when you cut it down to the essentials. It's discussion for discussion sake, which is scum more often than not.

Vote: Ty4on
Why is this post 225 words long? It reads like you're endlessly padding a weak argument.

Why did you single out me? Sawneeks argued for a lynch as well and posted more than one post about it.

What do you think of Sophia?

Ty4on

Bedtime and if last night is any indication these painkillers make me sleep a long time -_-
Hello Hyper. How do you feel about the current state of the game?
A Sophia-Darryl team is just too obvious.

I wanna speak with you tomorrow, Darryl. I didn't see anything solvey in your last post. I know your style is going hard on people, but your argument was so diluted in that long post. There's no analysis of what I wrote, just a big slab of justification for why what I wrote was scummy.

Darryl

Banned
Why is this post 225 words long? It reads like you're endlessly padding a weak argument.

Why did you single out me? Sawneeks argued for a lynch as well and posted more than one post about it.

What do you think of Sophia?

I used every sentence in that post and each sentence elaborates on the previous. I didn't point out the obvious, point out anything that other people were going to, or re-state prior opinions. I singled you out because you were the most guilty of taking advantage of the situation for the reasons that I mentioned in my post (the words you skimmed over and deemed them excessive).

There's so many wasted posts in this thread and you decide to single me out for being excessive. That's incredible.

OK cool. So pretty basic question but how do you feel about the Ty4on, Sophia, Darryl triangle?

Right on.

It has been a little bit since I played with Darryl. Actually, I believe it was my very first game Danny Phantom. He seems himself. But I’ve also played with him as town. I don’t necessarily see any immediately fault with his logic/arguments.

I’ve seen Ty on both sides. He tends to act a little too perfect townie when he’s scum. The fact that Ty4on and Darryl are already locked into a debate definitely tells me they are taking this seriously. Ty4on rebuffing Darryl’s claims as overelaborate could be seem as being overly defensive or scummy. Normally I wouldn’t think either would be so quick to jump into a feud—Day One when nothing else is happening and no one else is really talking to one another. However, I do recall Ty4on saying that his biggest challenge with being scum is creating natural conversations with scummates instead of avoiding them in the thread. So, perhaps that what is going on here?

Out of the triangle, I find Sophia defense of Ty4on interesting. Especially, after so soon their playful banter calling each other scum. But again, I'm not sure any of them would be so obvious. Unless we are already in WIFOM mode.

How are you feeling about them?

Sawneeks

Banned
But I'll say nin is making little sense and annoying me.

So town reading him.

When you get time tonight, thoughts on Sophia-Ty-Darryl?

you got to join the cool kids too, get a pokemon avatar.

Well, I wouldn't mind a day 1 lynch, whichever way the axe falls.

Also, Typhlosion is the worst starter Pokemon, which is saying something since Meganium is just garbage.

What do you mean be 'we all learn something'? What do we learn if everyone's vote is predetermined and not chosen by them? :/

Please respond. You ignored my question.

much better.

#team YesLynch

I didn't think anyone could beat Ouro's monstrosity yet here we are.

Congrats Stan, your avatar is terrifying.

By the way, thoughts on the game so far?

Sophia

Out of the triangle, I find Sophia defense of Ty4on interesting. Especially, after so soon their playful banter calling each other scum. But again, I'm not sure any of them would be so obvious. Unless we are already in WIFOM mode.

Defense of Ty4on? Can you clarify a bit? I'm currently null reading him.

Related to this, but I'm not feeling Darryl either. Town Darryl is usually more aggressive than this.

Was referring to this post, Sophia.

But I misread who it was it was a response to, originally thought it was Darryl. I see now it was Nin.

Not really reading anyone of three as scum. Although I have a very limited profile for Darryl and he could admittedly fall into that blind spot.

Kawl_USC

When you get time tonight, thoughts on Sophia-Ty-Darryl?

you got to join the cool kids too, get a pokemon avatar.

nothing seems particularly out of the ordinary from their play styles from my cursory read of the thread.

I also dislike honing in on particular groups of people so early. I feel gafia towns fall into this trap all the freaking time.

Sorry don't have anything else or a deep cut, just now getting home.

Fireblend

Banned
After playing 2 mini games in a row the amount of players in this one is dizzying. I've thought "wait, xxxxx is playing too?" like 10 times today, and people just keep checking in. Also, I kind of want to lynch Stan just because of that avatar, but then again maybe Hyper has precedence because of his flavor in the mini game. Decisions, decisions.

Anyway, it seems like the discussion has been gravitating towards the usual day 1 lynch vs no lynch dance (I wouldn't put much stock on any side of this conversation), some Sophia-Ty banter that seemed oddly safe to me, and then some more believable Darryl-Ty stuff. Not super indicative of anything (specially since the game's barely started) but worth keeping in mind I suppose.

Also other than both of them engaging with Ty I don't see any Darryl-Sophia connection. Sawneeks and Ferret mentioned a triangle but it looks more like a disconnected graph to me :p did I miss something?

I didn't think anyone could beat Ouro's monstrosity yet here we are.

Congrats Stan, your avatar is terrifying.

By the way, thoughts on the game so far?

flattery will get you nowhere!

anyway, naturally so far its been the usual Day1 hubbub.shitslinging, bravado fuel acusations, jovial ramblings, and generally just people making Gyados's out of Magikarp.
not that this is a bad thing, its disscussion from everyone, it helps everyone to get a sense of, well, everyone.

Woah man why do you want to know that.

"O beware, my lord, of jealousy; It is the green-eyed monster which doth mock the meat it feeds on,"

Sawneeks

Banned
Nin, what is the difference between vanilla nin, nin 2.0 and nin 2.2? What happened to 2.1?

But I never had this discussion so far :(

How did I forget you were in this game, you even posted and yet I didn't remember you were here. D:

What's up, Royal. How have you been? Thoughts so far?

nothing seems particularly out of the ordinary from their play styles from my cursory read of the thread.

I also dislike honing in on particular groups of people so early. I feel gafia towns fall into this trap all the freaking time.

Sorry don't have anything else or a deep cut, just now getting home.

I agree, but it was that or just ask you your thoughts on the events so far which have included:

1. Ty-Sophia-Darryl
2. Nin 'No Lynch' 2.2
3. a shit ton of fluff

Figured I'd ask you about the interesting topic rather than the large, fluff covered mess.

Top Bottom