• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Mafia |OT| Gotta Catch Em’ Scum!

Almighty Albus, albeit our history, do you think we can get along just fine? Have you witnessed anything noteworthy, something that will lead us to the cave of the ominous team rocket? How will we catch them?

don't worry

I have a card up my sleeve-

jbure32.jpg

shhh

Oh, a game with people actually posting. Haven't been in one of these for some time.

How did I forget you were in this game, you even posted and yet I didn't remember you were here. D:

What's up, Royal. How have you been? Thoughts so far?
Yeah that happens. Judging from my previous games I'll be a solid Null-Read for the first few phases...

At least there is something happening other than forced questionnaires in the first 24h so that's a good sign, I guess?

Related to this, but I'm not feeling Darryl either. Town Darryl is usually more aggressive than this.

*sigh*

wrong. Town has fallen into this trap so many times. Gods, Danny Phantom. And the last time i remember him being really aggressive was in Princess where he was Scum.

Anyway, it seems like the discussion has been gravitating towards the usual day 1 lynch vs no lynch dance (I wouldn't put much stock on any side of this conversation), some Sophia-Ty banter that seemed oddly safe to me, and then some more believable Darryl-Ty stuff. Not super indicative of anything (specially since the game's barely started) but worth keeping in mind I suppose
I find neither of those to be odd. Ty-Soph looks like a friendly banter, Ty-Darryl like usual X-Darryl stuff.

I am veeery curious about how the Pokemon Trainer works. Is this going to become a type of faction, or is that how we get powers this time? It could also be interesting if we could get some type of pokemon battles.
I don't think this speculation leads to anything worthwhile with the amount of info we have. I also think it might help Scum more than Town to figure this out as early as possible.

well that was meant as more of a joke? its pretty fresh in my mind and its not like you had a real reason for voting me.

anyway,
regarding the game setup, im very curious to how the pokemon trainer/ catching thing will work, particularily with (if i read the flavour posts right) the Team rocket trainers being able to catch pokemon players. like will that recruit those players? does it let the trainer use the pokemons powers? do the pokemon even know who has caught them?
but unless someone is dumb enough to come forward with a role early, i guess we will just have to wait until a revevant role flips, until then attempting to make any judgements based on game speculation will likely just cause trouble
and make it double!

While reading this thread it's interesting that several players point at this trio, just like I did. Looks like that's the only interesting thing going on for now.

Kawl blaming town for honing in on a group of people early, is a clever way for scum to divert the attention.
Interesting or "easy target"-scummy?

image.php

I just want to say this is deeply disturbing.
I sat at my desk laughing like an idiot... Thanks Ourobororolol

Yeah, that's what you get for not answering your quotes in order... Let's try this again:

well that was meant as more of a joke? its pretty fresh in my mind and its not like you had a real reason for voting me.

anyway,
regarding the game setup, im very curious to how the pokemon trainer/ catching thing will work, particularily with (if i read the flavour posts right) the Team rocket trainers being able to catch pokemon players. like will that recruit those players? does it let the trainer use the pokemons powers? do the pokemon even know who has caught them?
but unless someone is dumb enough to come forward with a role early, i guess we will just have to wait until a revevant role flips, until then attempting to make any judgements based on game speculation will likely just cause trouble
and make it double!

The flavor states that Team Rocket kills the Pokemon before they sell them. The further instructions bit also is an argument against the trainers simply being Scum.

roytheone

This day seems like a pretty typical day 1. Lots of fluff and jokes and people monkeying around, Darryl pressuring people, Blarg being Blarg and not very useful. There were some points of interest, mainly the standard lynch/no-lynch discussion and the Darryl-sophia-ty4on interactions. I can see Darryl's argument how defending day 1 lynch could be an easy way for scum to appear active and pro town (since no-lynch is often seen as anti-town). On the other hand, we don't have much to discuss yet so I wouldn't fault Ty4on for giving his opinion about it. His reaction to Darryl his post was a bit defensive though. I also thought him calling out Sophia's vote on Nin (which came over to me as not a very serious one and more meant to create some activity) which kickstarted the sophia-ty4on interactions was not particularly strong.

Didn't mean it was better, I was just giving another method to think about. Again, day 1 always felt like chance to me, so whether town gets hit or scum does is up in the air.

The fact that it is often up in the air who gets lynched until the last few moments on day 1 is one of the things I find valuable about day 1. Since votes tend to suddenly shift at the final hours of day 1, scum can't just sit back and hide in the background. They need to be there ready to quickly jump in if one of their members suddenly becomes a lynch candidate.That could give us some valuable behavior information.

Ty4on

Currently catching up.

For Ty-Sophia it was these:

Darryl isn't directly connected to Sophia per say but having all the above happen only to get this in response:

Was strange. Scum!Darryl jumping in for Scum!Sophia? Doubtful, that's incredibly bold to play, not to mention it's early on Day 1 and that kind of #gambit would backfire easily as time goes on.

Perhaps 'triangle' isn't the right word here but after Ty-Sophia had their back-and-forth earlier they were 'connected' in my mind. So having Darryl suddenly pop in to go after Ty it got him grouped into that space as well. I think with the amount of fluff going on so far having any sort of active scum hunting got those individuals to stand out to me and those 3 just grouped together in my mind given the order of events.

Although after I posted about the trio, Sophia comes in with this:

so there is a better sophia-darryl connection, albeit a light one.
I first linked Darryl to Sophia because I struggled to see why a townie would post that, but this post fueled my tunnel.
Hello Hyper. How do you feel about the current state of the game?
Look back at the context. Darryl makes his post and Hyper then makes two posts where he's completely oblivious to what's going on.

I do agree with you that it's bold though, that's why I said it was too obvious. I didn't read Disney Princess, but from skimming scum chat it seemed like scum!Darryl wasn't afraid of sticking out.

I'm just having a harder time seeing Darryl's post coming from from a town. What struck me about the post from Darryl is how weak his argument was and what a weird thing to focus on it was in context. Heck, as he pointed out later:
I used every sentence in that post and each sentence elaborates on the previous. I didn't point out the obvious, point out anything that other people were going to, or re-state prior opinions. I singled you out because you were the most guilty of taking advantage of the situation for the reasons that I mentioned in my post (the words you skimmed over and deemed them excessive).

There's so many wasted posts in this thread and you decide to single me out for being excessive. That's incredible.
Emphasise mine.

He's throwing shade at fluff posts, but never commented on the fluff posts.

Commenting more on it:
I singled you out because you were the most guilty of taking advantage of the situation for the reasons that I mentioned in my post (the words you skimmed over and deemed them excessive).
Reading his post again the first two paragraphs are generalized. That's why I commented on it justifying its position. I don't see the reasons he's pointing out here.

The third paragraph mentions me, but really nothing in particular about my post. Also the weird "discussion for discussions sake" comment. I didn't try to start a discussion. I didn't give Nin a question to answer to and I didn't reply to his replies either.

Fireblend

Banned
By the way, you mentioned you found Sophia and Ty's discussion to be 'oddly safe'. What do you mean by that, something stick out to you?
It's just that it died down quickly and seemed to be mostly going through the motions. I get that it was the start of the game, but I wanted to make a point that it seemed like a less significant convo than Darryl and Ty's.

I find neither of those to be odd. Ty-Soph looks like a friendly banter, Ty-Darryl like usual X-Darryl stuff.
You seem to think usual Darryl isn't something to be concerned about.

Vote: Sophia

You seem to be around. What do you think of those "grouping" you with Ty and (less so) with Darryl?

Also, fave pokemon is Arcanine. Everyone around me has one on Pokemon Go and I'm still stuck with a couple Growlithes I've hatched from eggs :<

Sophia

Yeah that happens. Judging from my previous games I'll be a solid Null-Read for the first few phases...

At least there is something happening other than forced questionnaires in the first 24h so that's a good sign, I guess?

I admit after Bachelor Party I'm trying to keep a closer eye on you so that you're not a null-read. :p

*sigh*

wrong. Town has fallen into this trap so many times. Gods, Danny Phantom. And the last time i remember him being really aggressive was in Princess where he was Scum.

Thank you Royal, but I'm well aware of how Darryl acted in those two games. I did play in both of those, after all. Maybe instead of jumping to quick criticisms, consider the possibility that I took that into consideration? :p

Hello Sophia. do you like Daryll ?

He's a fun player to play against. I'm not sure how to feel about him in this game right now tho.

now then

What's on the docket

who should I tunnel

You can tunnel me any day Blargonaut-senpai~!

Sophia

It's just that it died down quickly and seemed to be mostly going through the motions. I get that it was the start of the game, but I wanted to make a point that it seemed like a less significant convo than Darryl and Ty's.

You seem to think usual Darryl isn't something to be concerned about.

Vote: Sophia

You seem to be around. What do you think of those "grouping" you with Ty and (less so) with Darryl?

Also, fave pokemon is Arcanine. Everyone around me has one on Pokemon Go and I'm still stuck with a couple Growlithes I've hatched from eggs :<

Honestly? It looks like an attempt by some people to make a connection where there is none. Darryl hasn't even said that much outside of his vote and reasoning on Ty4on, but I'm not sure what to make of it. It was pointed out by Gorlak that Darryl's argument against Ty4on could have been used against me too. I could understand if Darryl was just voting for the scummier of us two, but he really didn't mention anything about me at all (yet...)

nin1000

Banned
Honestly? It looks like an attempt by some people to make a connection where there is none. Darryl hasn't even said that much outside of his vote and reasoning on Ty4on, but I'm not sure what to make of it. It was pointed out by Gorlak that Darryl's argument against Ty4on could have been used against me too. I could understand if Darryl was just voting for the scummier of us two, but he really didn't mention anything about me at all (yet...)

I think with 22 players you can call them by name. I mean if you think they are a thread to you , call them out.

Sophia

I think with 22 players you can call them by name. I mean if you think they are a thread to you , call them out.

Seeing as I was responding to Fireblend there, who was one of those people, I kind of sort of am. :p

Actually, I don't know what Scum!Fireblend looks like, so I guess I should pay close attention.

Darryl

Banned
Currently catching up.

I first linked Darryl to Sophia because I struggled to see why a townie would post that, but this post fueled my tunnel.

Look back at the context. Darryl makes his post and Hyper then makes two posts where he's completely oblivious to what's going on.

I do agree with you that it's bold though, that's why I said it was too obvious. I didn't read Disney Princess, but from skimming scum chat it seemed like scum!Darryl wasn't afraid of sticking out.

I'm just having a harder time seeing Darryl's post coming from from a town. What struck me about the post from Darryl is how weak his argument was and what a weird thing to focus on it was in context. Heck, as he pointed out later:

Emphasise mine.

He's throwing shade at fluff posts, but never commented on the fluff posts.

Commenting more on it:

Reading his post again the first two paragraphs are generalized. That's why I commented on it justifying its position. I don't see the reasons he's pointing out here.

The third paragraph mentions me, but really nothing in particular about my post. Also the weird "discussion for discussions sake" comment. I didn't try to start a discussion. I didn't give Nin a question to answer to and I didn't reply to his replies either.

I don't need to comment on the fluff posts. People are getting into the spirit and that's fine for me. I'm not going to pretend that the fluff matters too much right now. It was a few hours into day 1 and there's not a lot to talk about. But I brought the first argument of the thread, and you obviously realize that I'm making an argument (hence the extreme defensiveness), and you approach it by trying to reduce it to fluff.

I don't need to comment on the fluff posters here. This is ridiculous for multiple reasons. Just about every player in the thread is doing it, that's like 20 people, and there's certainly not a scum majority there. It's a bad lead imo and I'm not buying into there being any merit there. Your counter-argument towards me, though, uses alleged fluff posting as it's foundation. You are the one that needs to look at the alternatives, show consistency, and you need to point out exactly what it is that makes my post stands high and mighty over all the other 20 fluff posters. Not me. If you're going to use fluff posting as your filtering mechanism for finding scum, you've certainly chosen one of the worst possible examples of it in this thread and I want to know why. To me, it's an obvious sign that you're making an argument up as you go.

Don't waste the reader's time and pretend like you weren't participating in a discussion by posting a comment in this thread, either. We are all in a collective discussion to try to find mafia and you were participating in a discussion by expressing opinions on a specific thread within the collective discussion. You're trying to be wastefully semantic and you're wrong on multiple levels - the deep and meaningful ones.

*Splinter

Sophia is scum. Her early impression of Darryl was unconvincing and she had a way-too-long argument with nin about whatever.

This was already helpfully pointed out by Darryl, but for some reason he highlighted Ty4on over Sophia. I have a couple of ideas as to why he did this but I'll wait for him to elaborate before I go into them.

Sophia also had that "Darryl isn't being Darryl" enough which - as pointed out by I think Flush - is nonsense. Darryl has been precisely as Darryl as I'd expect up to now, and while I wouldn't go so far as to town-read him I don't think he's done anything scummy or even un-Darryl yet, so I find Sophia's comment lazy. Either generating fake friction with a scum mate or trying to generate a little friction with town-Darryl (that being a reasonably likely way to keep him off your back).

Ty4on himself, already somehow linked with this pair, seems fine to me. Light town read, not much to add at the moment despite his "connection" to the above.

A few people have tried linking these 3 already. I'm not sure where it started, but it continued through a few different posters. The whole conversation looked most like lazy townies going through the motions.

What else

nin being nin, null read

Salva being Salva, slight town read

Hyperactivity being Hyperactivity, null but I'll gladly policy lynch if he keeps up the "tired posting" and "deepest lore" shtick.

Christina Mackenzie looks scummy to me, although slightly more confrontational than last game. Light scum read.

Royal Flush gave me the strongest {{ VIBES }} on my first read through the thread. Scum.

That leaves [everyone else] as null o/

Oh I think Verelios suggested we RNG the first lynch? That's a bad enough idea that I can attribute any alignment to it.

Ty4on

I don't need to comment on the fluff posts. People are getting into the spirit and that's fine for me. I'm not going to pretend that the fluff matters too much right now. It was a few hours into day 1 and there's not a lot to talk about. But I brought the first argument of the thread, and you obviously realize that I'm making an argument (hence the extreme defensiveness), and you approach it by trying to reduce it to fluff.

I don't need to comment on the fluff posters here. This is ridiculous for multiple reasons. Just about every player in the thread is doing it, that's like 20 people, and there's certainly not a scum majority there. It's a bad lead imo and I'm not buying into there being any merit there. Your counter-argument towards me, though, uses alleged fluff posting as it's foundation. You are the one that needs to look at the alternatives, show consistency, and you need to point out exactly what it is that makes my post stands high and mighty over all the other 20 fluff posters. Not me. If you're going to use fluff posting as your filtering mechanism for finding scum, you've certainly chosen one of the worst possible examples of it in this thread and I want to know why. To me, it's an obvious sign that you're making an argument up as you go.

Don't waste the reader's time and pretend like you weren't participating in a discussion by posting a comment in this thread, either. We are all in a collective discussion to try to find mafia and you were participating in a discussion by expressing opinions on a specific thread within the collective discussion. You're trying to be wastefully semantic and you're wrong on multiple levels - the deep and meaningful ones.
This looks...
*Looks through Mafia dictionary*
Agenday.

Anyhow, what do you think of Sophia?

*Splinter

Oh I forgot

Darryl, ignoring his responses to you since then, why did you choose to highlight Ty4on over Sophia (or anyone else I guess)?

Top Bottom