• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Mafia |OT| Gotta Catch Em’ Scum!

Conclusion: No idea.
It is Day 1 and I have expressed my thoughts on reading too much into Day 1 behavior.

If I'm a liar you should put a vote on me.

You put one on me for practically nothing in PiS.

The fact that you won't while calling me a liar and, somehow, maintaining you could be misreading the whole situation after accusing me of such a damning thing is very troubling.

El Topo

This is exactly what I said. Sure.

Are you planning on responding to anything about what I've said to you or are you just going to throw around the word "lying" and "liar"?

1. You claimed I "was in favor of quantity over quality". That is clearly not the case with posts #271/#275, which are explicitly about calling someone out on coasting barely into the first day. You have not made an attempt to explain how one could reasonably come to your very different claim that you have now made twice.

2. You claimed I tried to "get everyone looking at Sophia". You presented no evidence for this claim either. Not in #447, not in #680. Even more nonsensically, you actually hold it against me that I respond to critics.

Either you are intentionally spreading misinformation, in which case you are lying, or this is not intentional, in which case (see my notes) you are showing truly abysmal reading comprehension and poor thinking. Frankly the former seems more likely.

Sophia

Wait....

I never got the impression that El Topo was trying to get everyone to look at me? Where the heck did that come from, Melon?

Sophia

Yeah, looking back, the only thing El Topo said about me was my backing up of LP on his post. There's nothing to support what Melon says in #447: "Attempt to turn the whole argument around and get everyone looking at Sophia"

Wanna explain yourself, Melon?

oh wow, the day ends in an hour and a half? it doesn't feel like that at all

What do you think of the current situation?

nin1000

Banned
Unsure if i should put down a vote on someone i am unsure. There are several candidates who just tickled me the wrong way but that usually is not really a sign of someone being scum. Even with several people calling me out for being myself i dont have issues with them.

roytheone

Alright, finally had time to catch up with the thread.

Personally I didn't find anything about the initial Ty40n/Sophia/Darryl exchange alignment indicative. But I feel like it's provided a safe talking point for people to make themselves look they're contributing.

Now 100%, the irony of me commenting on this post is not lost on me.

I just want to say that:

i. Calling a player "really reactionary" because they answered a question that someone asked them is HUGE reach man.

ii. Nin, Blarg, Dusk = scum is about the safest D1 read list that I've ever read on this site. I don't think I've even played a game where the three of us showed up on a D1 town list. You're not even trying.

I do want to say that I'm really interested about how the mechanics work in this game, but so far there hasn't been any substantial discussion or speculation about it and I'm kind of disappointed.

I think all we know so far is that trainers can catch pokemon in this game. Can trainers catch multiple pokemon at once? Can team rocket catch pokemon?

And are the pokemon the key to role powers? Like for instance if you caught a chansey, would that unlock a doctor ability? or if you caught a Stoutland would that become a Cop ability?

And if team rocket does indeed have the ability to catch pokemon, would they still have the night kill ability? Team rocket doesn't normally kill pokemon, although I suppose the flavour could say they've been shipped off to a lab or something instead.

Reacting to questions isn't a bad thing in itself. However, I am always suspicious of people of who answering questions is the bulk of their posts. In my experience even scum trying to lay low will still show up to answer questions, since that is an easy way to appear more active. Unprodded opinions will always be of more value to me then answers to questions, since you can look at which subjects someone choose to respond to and which to avoid and that will already give you information that can be analyzed. Only reacting at questions directed at you would let you avoid that kind of analysis.

Also, you then probably posting your biggest contribution yet in an bunch of hypothetical about the setup doesn't help with my scum read of you. I'm not against mechanic talk when it happens at like the start of day 1 (it's better then just jokes and fluff at least) or when an event happens that gives us a base to speculate on. However, you start to speculate about mechanics while we are nearing the end phase of the day and people are actually giving opinions and try to scum hunt. Comes over as me as a very safe way to appear more active without having to give opinions.

Interesting that I call Blarg out on not having his normal weird posts that still have something game related in them, point to the pizza post as an example, and then he comes with a very similar post soon after. Almost like he realized that I was right and wanted to remedy that.

roytheone [m]

This this post of his:

Links both Fireblend and El Topo together. Both of whom are acting very a little off today. Roy later goes after El Topo once LP has brought him to everyone attention and Roy and El Topo go back and forth for a few pages. Reading it now is coming across as an attempt from Roy to bus. Somehow ends up with a vote on Nin??

Not sure how to feel about this one.

I guess that post requires some explanation for people not familiar with meta jokes in this community. Me wanting to lynch Fireblend and el topo are a bit of a running joke. Fire because very time I was in a game with him, I won that game when I lynched him, and lost the game if I didn't, which spawned the phrase "always be lynching Fireblend". Topo tried to kill me on the very first night of my very first mafia game, so us hating each other became a running joke, with us wanting to kill each other even when the other one isn't even in the game. Just wanted to clear that up for people that didn't knew of those meta jokes.

Afterwords, we get Roy chiming in on it.

He does comment on Ty4on's defensiveness regards to Darryl's vote. I'm slightly inclined to agree with this observation, but only to a degree. If either Darryl or Ty4on flips scum, I'd feel very confident about Roy being town.

Can you eleberate a bit about why you would feel very confident about me being town if either Darryl or Ty4on flips scum? I could kinda see ty4on since I do suspect him a bit (but it's not like I am really pushing for him), but I don't really had a lot of interaction with Darryl yet.

Pocket monsters

Another post that increases my bad feelings about dusk. I find it hard to judge if this is just a joke fluff post or more a Blarg like post where there are actually real reads hidden in the nonsense. Having this vote stills stand only 2 hours before days end without any clarification worries me. If we end up lynching fire, it gives Dusk the possibility to get some credit if he flips scum, while if Fire flips town Dusk can hide behind "it was just a joke read/vote".

vote: dusk soldier

Some other remarks:

-Nin's his reads look very extensive at first glance, but they really are just a summary of what people did and the actual read part is often just one sentence. This comes over to me as someone trying to appear very active and helpful, while actually not providing that much.

- L_P is starting to worry me. He posted that one post about Ferret, got some positive reactions to it, discussed a bit with topo, and then kinda poofed away from existence, almost like a scum making one well recieved post and then putting his chair in relax mode thinking "well, I got enough town credit from that post to survive today! My job here is done!".

-Burb not storming into this thread bopping Sophia on her head pretty much confirms her power to me. A double vote is not something I would expect a scum to have since it is very powerful in scum hands (it basically gives them one extra vote to get at least equal votes which often allows them to lock up the game), so I am now leaning town on her.

VOTE: Sophia

- Doublevoter, "make it double"
- reckless disregard for Power Role reveal while not under equivalent vote pressure to justify it, "prepared for trouble"

You could be Team Rocket's Koffing/Wheezing whatever the hell it's 2-headed form is called is, just as easily as you could be a Doduo, Vanillite, 2-headed etc.

Your input and insight may be sound, but I'd say, in fact, you seemed quite aggressive yourself this game, and it's unnerved me as much as it has intrigued me

so yeah, against possibly better judgement, I'm betting on Ash

scum Ash

I won't be around for Day-end this time, so I'm Nuzlocking my vote in as this

Gnkfad3.gif

sry Soph, but I am the flavour

Sophia

Can you eleberate a bit about why you would feel very confident about me being town if either Darryl or Ty4on flips scum? I could kinda see ty4on since I do suspect him a bit (but it's not like I am really pushing for him), but I don't really had a lot of interaction with Darryl yet.

Yeah, it speaks more if Ty4on flips scum rather than Darryl. I admit it made more sense in my head yesterday when I was reading things over, but less so now that you mention it today.

SalvaPot

VOTE: Sophia

- Doublevoter, "make it double"
- reckless disregard for Power Role reveal while not under equivalent vote pressure to justify it, "prepared for trouble"

You could be Team Rocket's Koffing/Wheezing whatever the hell it's 2-headed form is called is, just as easily as you could be a Doduo, Vanillite, 2-headed etc.

Your input and insight may be sound, but I'd say, in fact, you seemed quite aggressive yourself this game, and it's unnerved me as much as it has intrigued me

so yeah, against possibly better judgement, I'm betting on Ash

scum Ash

I won't be around for Day-end this time, so I'm Nuzlocking my vote in as this

Gnkfad3.gif

sry Soph, but I am the flavour

This is a exceptionally dumb reason to vote sophia and you know it.

Darryl

Banned
Unsure if i should put down a vote on someone i am unsure. There are several candidates who just tickled me the wrong way but that usually is not really a sign of someone being scum. Even with several people calling me out for being myself i dont have issues with them.

then why don't you try to argue for a no lynch, like you suggested earlier?

Bronx-Man

Banned
VOTE: Blargonaut

You admit that Sophia has sound input & insight yet you're voting for her because she's......aggressive? If we're going by that criteria, we might as well lynch half the players in the game.

Also, terribly sorry for the fluffposting/lack of posting from me so far. I'm swamped with classes and projects, but I've got plenty of freetime now since it's the weekend.

nin1000

Banned
then why don't you try to argue for a no lynch, like you suggested earlier?

Because i know it wont happen. I even said several times that i would be for a no lynch but knew and still know that it will never happen. Thats why i said that i might vote on someone. I just personally would prefer it to be a no lynch.

Ty4on

Work is super busy and I could only skim the last few pages. Not sure I'll have time to move my vote, but like it where it is. Nice vote Blarg even though I couldn't read your reasoning :p

Interesting Barry because town tends to be hyper on the lookout for scum.

nin1000

Banned
-Nin's his reads look very extensive at first glance, but they really are just a summary of what people did and the actual read part is often just one sentence. This comes over to me as someone trying to appear very active and helpful, while actually not providing that much.

Well at least they can be seen as a summary. While i was summarizing i made up my mind over those players. In the end i was active and helpful, you trying to bad-mouth it instead of making actual good posts is something that i found very saddening.

Sophia

An hour left and lots of weirdness for this day end. I'm not feeling confident about El Topo now.

Still waiting for a response from Melon.

Sawneeks

Banned
Since we're being rushed to vote, I might as well answer the call and-

Vote:Sawneeks

Place a temp vote to get some discourse flowing. Don't worry, don't worry, let's clear the air.

Still waiting to see more from you, Verelios.

no reason except for guts. I really stretched to put a top 3 bottom 3 together. but everyone should do it. what 3 should we keep and what 3 should we be willing to lynch today, cuz we are starting to wind down and we need heads on the chopping table

replace "scum" with "cute" and this all starts to sounds like a teen soap-opera melodrama.
i think we should all post our otp's and scumhunt based off of those.

Top 'Let's keep them around'
Ty4on
Gorlak

Top OTPs
Verelios <3
Stan <3
Sophia <3

Most everyone else filters into a weird null area of 'I am unsure if we should let them stick around but I'm not ready to kick 'em out yet'.

**subject to change as I finish my reread.

It's only Day 1 and you're talking about getting rid of deadweight? You're trying too hard.

Hard to say who I want to vote out right now. I could just leave it on Sophia since I won't be around for the deadline. I'm sure there will be lots of movement then.

Can I just say I really dislike how this reads. 'I won't be around for the deadline so I'll just keep my vote on someone because there will be so much movement at the Day End it probably won't matter anyway.'

Reminds me of Scum!CM wanting to have a vote down just to have one out there.

However, he then posts this:

UNVOTE

I don't think you're mafia for now but I'm not sure who to put my vote on either. Bronx-man is too easy, I'm sure Burbeting will settle it for the start of Day 2. El Topo and nin1000 seem to be easy targets for lynch mainly due to being null read, a common theme in most reads.

Anyways it's bedtime. I'd rather not vote than put one out there with little thought or reason behind it.

And that last line actually makes me feel a bit better. Not enough to repair the damage made by the quote above but it's enough to quite my read a little. Either CM really does believe the last line or a Scum buddy pointed it out to him that leaving a vote just for the sake of it looks terrible.

well, im about to go sleep, so i wont be here for the days end (and this is going to be a recurring theme).

looks like my vote will be staying on bronx-man.
i didn't really intend for that vote to be going through to the lynch, i just wanted activity, but he still hasn't delivered, so in the absence of any strong scum reads my vote will be staying on him.

but, before i go,

Top Town: Splinter, Melonwabbit, Sophia,

Top Scum: bronx-man, El Topo, Nin1000
(was tempted to say CM, but i think im too biased on that right now.)

naturally these are pretty tenuous reads, but hey, first impressions are important.

Unlike Stan. 'I don't intend for my vote to go through the lynch' so he just keeps his vote on someone who might not be lynched just to have it there? This has also been an incredibly active and discussion-filled Day 1 so I'm confused as to how Stan doesn't have a stronger Scum read than an inactive. :/

He even lists Topo and Nin, also relatively quiet posters in their own right, but they still have more than Bronx-Man. Yet his vote stays on the quietest player in the game.

Fine, I'll entertain you Blarg.

Four votes.

Double: Blargonaut

Are you sure you thought this out well?

To give you something to talk about instead of a silly thunderdrome idea. :p

So you show your Doublevoter power to get Blarg to stop being cornered around fluff??

I very lightly gut read you as Scum but this is really out of nowhere?? Like I don't understand the point of claiming a PR over such a silly reason.

Hmmmm.

1. You claimed I "was in favor of quantity over quality". That is clearly not the case with posts #271/#275, which are explicitly about calling someone out on coasting barely into the first day. You have not made an attempt to explain how one could reasonably come to your very different claim that you have now made twice.

2. You claimed I tried to "get everyone looking at Sophia". You presented no evidence for this claim either. Not in #447, not in #680. Even more nonsensically, you actually hold it against me that I respond to critics.

Either you are intentionally spreading misinformation, in which case you are lying, or this is not intentional, in which case (see my notes) you are showing truly abysmal reading comprehension and poor thinking. Frankly the former seems more likely.

You were the one to bring up how post counts meant you were somehow contributing more so than LP. You had several arguments about that fact. If you don’t like my choice of words in describing that event, fine, but you brought the topic to the thread not me. At the point of that statement you posts had lacked any substance or commentary regarding the game.

I had presented you, to Ty4on, and to you again, where you did suddenly bring the conversation toward talking Sophia. It stuck out to me than and it sticks out to me now. I pointed it out in my readings, not just with you, because there has been a pattern of that going around and wanted to make note of who was name-dropping Sophia.

None of these things are very big in of themselves, the fact you are treating them as such and have gotten worked up is where it gets dicey.

You can disagree with everything I’ve stated but the fact you’ve resorted to outright calling me a liar or claiming I’m unable to read coherently or use deductive reasoning is, as with your hyper-defensive nature, is troubling to me. Especially when you want to back off now and call it all “D1 shenanigans” on your part.

Also, to be clear I am very happy you’re responding to me. I just remember when that wasn’t the case and wonder where this push to be more direct and engaged with people comes from?

nin1000

Banned
My summary on you roy was not even that extensive, that shows us that, for one, you did not leave an impact and on the other hand did not even do much. I found it amusing that you called me out for not doing very much even though you on the other hand did not much either, and still havent.

just pointing it out Roy. I mean i dont think you are scum or town but i mean if you are going to call someone out for not doing much you have to show something aswell.

Sawneeks

Banned
So you show your Doublevoter power to get Blarg to stop being cornered around fluff??

I very lightly gut read you as Scum but this is really out of nowhere?? Like I don't understand the point of claiming a PR over such a silly reason.

Hmmmm.

'Cornered around fluff' isn't right.

Should be 'cornered around a game'.

This is what I get for posting while hungry. :x

I guess that post requires some explanation for people not familiar with meta jokes in this community. Me wanting to lynch Fireblend and el topo are a bit of a running joke. Fire because very time I was in a game with him, I won that game when I lynched him, and lost the game if I didn't, which spawned the phrase "always be lynching Fireblend". Topo tried to kill me on the very first night of my very first mafia game, so us hating each other became a running joke, with us wanting to kill each other even when the other one isn't even in the game. Just wanted to clear that up for people that didn't knew of those meta jokes.

Meta. Gotcha.
I'll file that away.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Stanley voted for me? No offense, but something's up if there's been over 700 posts so far and your highest scum read is on the one with that's barely posted.

Bronx-Man

Banned
My mistake Stanley, I see you didn't vote but you still had me as top scum. That hurts, man. That hurts deeply. I loved you like I did my own brother.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Who's your top town and top scum, Bronx?

I'm just catching up on all 8 pages, so I have no firm reads right now. No one particularly strikes me as scum, though I will say that Sophia definitely reads as a townie.

Well maybe Blarg is my top scum, but god knows what runs through that man's mind.

roytheone

Well at least they can be seen as a summary. While i was summarizing i made up my mind over those players. In the end i was active and helpful, you trying to bad-mouth it instead of making actual good posts is something that i found very saddening.

The thing is with those summaries is that it is a safe way to be helpful that isn't likely to backfire. I would much rather have you not post those summaries and instead talk more about the happenings in the thread. You said you had some players that you are thinking about voting on, who are they? What do you think about Dusk soldier his contributions? What do you think about LP disappearing from the thread? Do you agree with me a double vote is more likely to be a town power? Commenting on those things is a million times more useful then providing a summary of things anyone can read back on.

Ynnek7

Hmmmm. I'll still keep my vote on Blarg, but Stanley keeping the vote on me is pretty suspect.

I don't think I'll have the time before day end to try to figure this out myself, but is there a reason why his vote on you is more suspect than mine?

Verelios

I'll explain my vote on Sawneeks since time is running low.

Post #97 is a prod vote on me. Hasn't played with me before so perfectly normal.

Post 104 comments on Ty4on and Sophia 'sticking out', fair enough my rng idea is rebuked

Post 140 asking Kawl about the Ty4on/Darryl/Sophia triangle. A bit suspicious but there hasn't been another topic of discussion so that's fine. Prompts me to answer an innocuous question.

Post 150 defends asking about the triangle as there's nothing else to talk about.

Post 159 constructs a Scum Darryl-Sophia ship

Post 182 REALLY wants to know why an rng. I don't know what to say.

Post 190 discusses Ty4on-Sophia as safe

Post 324 Interested in triangle discussion. Mentions everyone should explain their votes.

Post 334 Weird...just 10 posts above Sawneeks advocated for placing votes with a clear cut reason. She doesn't move her vote on me because she isn't 'sure' and can decide later based on her thoughts. Ok...that doesn't seem as if I'm being used as a scapegoat for a safe vote. Is also REALLY REALLY interested in why I had an rng idea...I don't know if any answer is going to suit her. Wants more information on my thoughts

Post 343 This is weird...at this point some people are thinning of Sawneeks as town aligned. I don't see anything indicative of that, although getting others involved is a town trait. Mostly centered around the triangle though so...

Post 360- Not really feeling why Darryl would like Gorlack's throwaway vote. Ironic? Maybe.

Post 367- Well, this is odd. Mostly deconstructing others arguments.

Post 378- Consistent with the triangle. Goes after Sophia as most likely scum

Post 381- Apparently doesn't agree with my analysis of the triangle. Probably should've said one of them was scum, no read is a scum answer. Kind of touchy about the fanning the flames comment. Not saying anything but-

TBC

Sophia

. I had presented you, to Ty4on, and to you again, where you did suddenly bring the conversation toward talking Sophia. It stuck out to me than and it sticks out to me now. I pointed it out in my readings, not just with you, because there has been a pattern of that going around and wanted to make note of who was name-dropping Sophia.

Again, if it sticks out to you, can you point it out?

You said in #447 about El Topo"Attempt to turn the whole argument around and get everyone looking at Sophia" and I don't see it. So I'd like to see specifically what you're referring to.

Ty4on

Melonrabbit: I generally town read el Topo for his attitude. Fireblend seemed like Fire (and Darryl's attack was weak). Can't remember the third.

Sophia, these comments specifically.

I see nothing of value. I do however see aggressive nonsensical bullshit that you jump to defend.

1. Who said anything about voting for someone due to post counts? Please give a post for this claim.

2. Please explain yourself in detail on LP and his assessments. I see nothing of value and Sophia hasn't tried to explain her trust in LP either, instead resorting to hollow phrases like "He came out with a fairly decent observation". About as brilliant as when people in PiR thought they had caught a slip up by WAMD.

Here is my original read of El Topo, of which he took issue of:

El Topo [m]

Senpai please notice me. The sequel??
Coast city until getting called out by LP and backed up by Sophia. Topo was in favor of quantity over quality which is not a good look and seemed immediately heated. Attempt to turn the whole argument around and get everyone looking at Sophia—which isn’t the first time this has happened in this thread by others. Many people want us to look at Sophia. Scum.

Especially that phrase which wasn't just directed at him.

Melonrabbit: I generally town read el Topo for his attitude. Fireblend seemed like Fire (and Darryl's attack was weak). Can't remember the third.

Interesting.

The others were Nin and Christina Mackenzie.

Darryl

Banned
I am leaning towards a no lynch atm. It's mainly because something weird is happening with my internet and it takes me like 5 minute to F5 a page. I can't do any research right now and I doubt that'll change. I think this lynch is hopeless today.

Vote: No Lynch

Sophia

Hmm... I mean I didn't really take it to be attempting to turn everyone to look at me. Just more seemed like an observation of "Why are you believing him blindly?", to which I told him...

Since when did I say I trusted him? I merely pointed out it shows an eagerness to contribute. Even admitted that it was small.

Verelios

Still waiting to see more from you, Verelios.

Top 'Let's keep them around'
Ty4on
Gorlak

Top OTPs
Verelios <3
Stan <3
Sophia <3

Unlike Stan. 'I don't intend for my vote to go through the lynch' so he just keeps his vote on someone who might not be lynched just to have it there? This has also been an incredibly active and discussion-filled Day 1 so I'm confused as to how Stan doesn't have a stronger Scum read than an inactive. :/
I got you fam <3

Sawneeks

Banned

In regards to the vote on you at the beginning of the Day it was just what I said it was. I found voting on someone gets their attention and since I have never played Mafia with you before I wanted to chat, basically get a feel for you and see how you work. Votes also tend to make folks nervous and when some Scum get nervous they end up slipping or try to act natural and they can't explain themselves properly.

I already said earlier that your initial idea proposal itself is not alignment indicative, it was your inability to properly explain it that got my attention. It was also your subsequent 'I didn't bring it up to actually push it forward as a real alternative' and that you never saw it was 'better', you just felt like bringing it up, that got my vote to stay. It felt like a way for Scum to be participating in the thread without actually bringing up anything useful to the discussion itself.

You also only moved on when I called you out on that, giving a safe broad 'idk what's going on here' to Sophia-Ty-Darryl and then throwing shade on Dusk out of nowhere. Since then you stayed quiet, not commenting much on the Day itself or the proceedings, and then came back with your vote on me.

It feels to me you are Scum trapped in a corner.

I'm back. Reading this several pages at once took more time than expected...

Stanley voted for me? No offense, but something's up if there's been over 700 posts so far and your highest scum read is on the one with that's barely posted.

I mean, having barely posted is a fairly good reason to vote for someone.

A) Keep around:
Sophia
Darryl
Ty4on

B) Suitable lynchees
B1) Lynch before we're even close to LyLo because unpredictable so why not start today?:
Salva
Blargonaut (although I'd prefer to not lynch him today because he's fun)

B2) Current Scum candidates:
El Topo
Melonrabbit
Unmasked Ferret

B3) Also okay to lynch because of utter lack of useful posts:
Bronx-Man

C) ?
Everyone else

I know I'm ok with Sophia still, and nothing about el_topo is really striking me as off. I had thought it was because of a prior game but now I really don't know what has me trusting him besides gut. Maybe Ive heard the arguement about day 1 not being as useful on its in the past and I'm not as bothered by it now that most townies don't play things in that way.

I want to look at fireblend more, but I'm mobile and can't "top post" his posts up. I'll try my best though while keeping up with the last minute "wonderful (hellish) rush"

El Topo

Not lynching is not an option. It gives us no information and delays the inevitable. Take a stance against other players and explain yourself, so we can draw information from that in the future.

Sophia

Royal, what do you think? Go with an El Topo lynch or something else? I don't really want to no lynch.

Not lynching is not an option. It gives us no information and delays the inevitable. Take a stance against other players and explain yourself, so we can draw information from that in the future.

Do you feel confident that we'll get a lot of information from your deaht?

Top Bottom