• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ReCore |OT| Rock Your Core for a Prime Bot

MCD

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...22/?siteID=je6NUbpObpQ-5NYtnfHgUKcOfI6IK4xUnA

I really hope they really mean it with Recore and don't left it to die like every one time wonders from MS.

Why isn't Armature doing more PR work? They could at least post here or on twitter and let the fans know of any upcoming update. X1 need better optimization all around and PC need 21:9 support and a built in FPS counter for starters since UWP is locked and few apps can work with it (dxtory).

Dominator

Every time I die I wait over 2 minutes for the game to load back (2TB S model). I don't think I'm that far (
just got to the second boss after calling the tram
) but I keep dying at this boss and the load times are crushing my motivation to continue. Hopefully I can beat this bastard tomorrow.

Novocaine

For those who also go to Giantbomb, are they overreacting to the shortcomings of this game? They're the only media outlet I really ever use, because I've watched them for so many years now, but I also know they have a tendency to blow things out of proportion. I was really looking forward to this game, and I haven't picked it up yet, because they made it sound like it has way too many shortcomings, especially in the later parts.

So far for me it seems like it was a little over blown. I haven't hit the "wall" yet, I'm still somewhat early into the game. But all of the bugs Brad talked about have been nonexistent in my play through so far. He said the XBO version was a bad version but aside from a few noticeable frame drops in dungeons and 30-40 second load times I haven't had any issues. no bugs to speak of. Maybe it's just the PC version that's buggy? Or maybe I'm just having good luck.

He was right about the game needing a minimap though but the lack of one doesn't make the game unplayable.

eshwaaz

Every time I die I wait over 2 minutes for the game to load back (2TB S model). I don't think I'm that far (
) but I keep dying at this boss and the load times are crushing my motivation to continue. Hopefully I can beat this bastard tomorrow.
I almost quit at that same spot for the same reason. The load times are atrocious, and there's an unskippable cutscene right before that battle to boot.

The load times make every other flaw in the game feel worse. It's such a shame, as there's a lot to like here.

Hexer06

No story progression I guess? Not sure. I don't think it's felt grindy at all.

That's true. I guess it could be seen that way, but that would mean no games should have side quests or other things to do besides story? lol.

Little help looking for a prismatic core in The Warren.
Did you ever find the Core? I've ran the dungeon two or three times now and gotten everything besides the 1 core. Even took Mack in there to sniff around and he only found parts. :/

Coxy100

Banned
No demo available. It is a fun game and priced lower than other new releases
Your opinion is welcome but unless companies start releasing demos again then so many games will pass me by. This one has too many negative reviews for me to make a risk with it. Might be priced lower but that's still my money they are asking for.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone else have a switch in The Crucible that doesn't work no matter which colour is shot? Really annoying. :(

Wow this is terrible. Im at the same spot and I stopped playing after dying twice but Im on PC and load times are negligible. I was irritated with respawning in the other room and having to open the door and run all the way to the end of the next room to trigger the fight. Can't even imagine having to wait for a two minute load on top of that. How could they release a game knowing about these load times?

Your opinion is welcome but unless companies start releasing demos again then so many games will pass me by. This one has too many negative reviews for me to make a risk with it. Might be priced lower but that's still my money they are asking for.

I get what you're saying. Weird how demos just disappeared this gen. The thing about this game though is that it would probably demo very well. If you played one dungeon you'd probably love the game because at times it is an amazing game but most of the issues you hear about happen as you go deeper into the game. so I don't think a demo would help you get a feel for what the entire experience is like.

So far for me it seems like it was a little over blown. I haven't hit the "wall" yet, I'm still somewhat early into the game. But all of the bugs Brad talked about have been nonexistent in my play through so far. He said the XBO version was a bad version but aside from a few noticeable frame drops in dungeons and 30-40 second load times I haven't had any issues. no bugs to speak of. Maybe it's just the PC version that's buggy? Or maybe I'm just having good luck.

He was right about the game needing a minimap though but the lack of one doesn't make the game unplayable.

Read the post above you regarding load time. Also, you are early in the game and Brad's issues were with the late game. He was loving the game like most before then. Im relatively early in the game and I'm enjoying it a lot as well but I wouldn't say it's "overblown" until I finished the game

Just thought it was funny you said that cause Jeff was saying the same about other reviews when he first started playing cause he was enjoying the game a lot and thought the negative reviews were crazy

Broman1978

So I just encountered a REALLY annoying bug i think... I´m at the Boss in The Warren and my Extractor doesn´t work. I restarted the game several times and exited the dungeon and yet every time the extractor don´t work =(
I can commence the extractor sequence but nothing happens, no tug-of-war starts.

Novocaine

Read the post above you regarding load time. Also, you are early in the game and Brad's issues were with the late game. He was loving the game like most before then. Im relatively early in the game and I'm enjoying it a lot as well but I wouldn't say it's "overblown" until I finished the game

Just thought it was funny you said that cause Jeff was saying the same about other reviews when he first started playing cause he was enjoying the game a lot and thought the negative reviews were crazy

I saw it. I haven't had load times that long and I have passed that boss. It must be because I'm running off an external drive. Anyway I did make it pretty clear it was my personal experience.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Move the mouse for the fast travel issue. It's a bug when using a controller.

Thanks, I'll remember that if I get it again.

You'll get to the part soon.

Is it Eden Tower? I just got there and it required 20 cores, which I had already. But recommended level was 20 (I'm 19), so I may just explore more.

I guess this is a good idea where I'm at anyway, having just
beaten Victor
? Feel like there's more I can do now with the
flying
upgrade. How far along am I in the story? Still loving it, aside from the bugs/glitches.

Had a really weird tug of war issue with one of the boss monsters. I tried to extract the core, but I was stuck in an infinite tug of war. The entire line was sparkling white, but it didn't disconnect me. I kept using the Y button to do damage with the robots, and eventually I was cut loose. Very weird, had no idea what to do.

One thing, I really dislike, is looking for those little robots to open a door. I am trying to find the last one for House of Steel, but I cannot find it! Sigh.

Zedox

So note, I've been looking at the Xbox gametime and it has me at 17h, but if you start the game and look at the gametime at the save selection screen, it will probably be different (mine is 9h). I'm at 68% game progress though (according to xbox). I have 41 cores now.

I did the first floor of Eden Tower just so I can level up a little faster as I can fight stronger enemies. It was fun. I can see how it would be annoying to do a level, and reach another door but can't go through it until you have more cores. I won't lie, I like the first level as it was a little challenging (and I know it gets harder the farther you go).

Fighting more enemies in shifting sands and past that to get better pickups is fun. I need to level up Duncan to Lvl 30 (he's lvl 22 now) so I can equip these purple frame parts. The crafting really does take shape during these lvls. Really cool stuff. Enjoying this game.

Sucks about the load-times on Xbox. I'm playing on PC and they're less than ten seconds long. Hopefully they can patch them somehow.

I'd love a patch on PC as well. With some performance improvements in certain areas, longer shadow draw distance, and better ground-collision detection for the camera.

The rumble that should be in the grips are on the triggers on the Xbox One controller as well, which feels a bit odd.

Overall I'm really liking the game though. It feels snappy and I love how the jumping feels. It's so easy to tell where you're gonna land.

Definitely an underrated game. Hopefully it can get a higher-budget sequel with a better engine.

Finally played it. Broke the game twice in one hour. First I got stuck and the second time I managed to skip past a trigger that loads part of the levels puzzle.

Apart from that it's a great game and the soundtrack is amazing. Really enjoying it.

I hope MS does more with this IP.

Sydle

Are there really 8 switches in Assembly? I looked over that room two dozen times. I think it must have not loaded one.

That's true. I guess it could be seen that way, but that would mean no games should have side quests or other things to do besides story? lol.

Did you ever find the Core? I've ran the dungeon two or three times now and gotten everything besides the 1 core. Even took Mack in there to sniff around and he only found parts. :/

Nope. I'm starting to think it listing 2 prismatic cores is a typo.

JaggedSac

I'm done with the game for now due to load times. I am not ready to update my pc either(can't decide between mobo/cpu/gpu bump or just get new gpu or wait on the Surface AIO[my wife is VERY conscious of the items visible in rooms, lol]). I think I am done until they update a fix for the load times.

Zedox

I just found one of the corebots for that big dungeon in shifting sands. It was so far away and random as hell. I'm glad I wasn't actively looking for it. Jesus. I've perfected two dungeons so far, and now I gotta level up my cores so they wear stuff. These objectives about to come in handy. I also have 45 prismatic cores so I can beat the game now. But I think I'm gonna level up my cores first to make fighting the bosses a little easier on me. Theres one dungeon in which I have to (Coliseum) to get the time limit cuz boi o boi. Lolololol.

SpokkX

Really feels like a gamecube game - in a good way

Refreshingly gamey. Starts out good at least

Loads fast and constant 60fps on ultra. As it should on a gtx1070 i guess

Cutscenes are a bit low budget, seems to be few thouhh

I am loving this so far. Challenging in the right areas, fun, expansive, lots to explore.

I can absolutely see the technical issues (on Xbone), and I know they bother a lot of people, but I've never been bothered by them much: one bug was particularly egregious, but resolved itself with a reload. A patch to iron out kinks would be nice, but as it is I am really enjoying.

Also, about gating:
in the first area is a dungeon locked at 75 cores. Surely that hints to players to gtfo there and get dem cores as you go? I've been exploring all over, running into ?? level baddies and fleeing, climbing giant structures, dodging many bots and extracting. It's fun.

I hope it stays fun!

Edit: re loadtimes, they're long but not diastrously so for me. What is a little odd is how sometimes a death = instant respawn, other times a loading screen?

Matt

I get what you're saying. Weird how demos just disappeared this gen. The thing about this game though is that it would probably demo very well. If you played one dungeon you'd probably love the game because at times it is an amazing game but most of the issues you hear about happen as you go deeper into the game. so I don't think a demo would help you get a feel for what the entire experience is like.
The sad truth is that demos are more likely to hurt a game's sales than help them. Certainly not all the time, but factoring in the cost to develop that just aren't generally considered worth it. And considering the budget nature of ReCore, that goes double.

Lagamorph

Even online guides for this seem to barely be a thing.
At best is a few video guides, which I always hate. I'd rather a written guide with screenshots than video.

Zedox

The fact that people want guides, have no easy thing to use to locate pieces reminds me of old school games all over again. I love it and hate it.

blakep267

Hmm so about 4 hours in and I'm enjoying it. The bass are load times basically. I use them to just look at my phone and stuff etc. I've come to terms with the visuals and I'm not finding the "grinding" to be bad. Now that I know you need a ton of cores I'm pretty much making sure to get as many as I can now. Also I haven't encountered any major bugs. If you extract at a certain angle you do clip through the ground but besides that I haven't encountered any game breaking bugs. The customization is cool and I'm liking the dungeons. All in all a solid 7-7.5 game so far

Lagamorph

The fact that people want guides, have no easy thing to use to locate pieces reminds me of old school games all over again. I love it and hate it.
Old school games didn't typically have such huge worlds that the collectables were hidden across though, so finding hidden things was much easier and less time consuming.

I think it'd be nice if there something like a collectable radar you could unlock/craft maybe.

Sydle

Old school games didn't typically have such huge worlds that the collectables were hidden across though, so finding hidden things was much easier and less time consuming.

I think it'd be nice if there something like a collectable radar you could unlock/craft maybe.

This. It could have been an augment you could research, craft, and upgrade for your bots.

Honestly, I'd pay a few dollars for a treasure map that revealed the locations of every collectible.

For those who also go to Giantbomb, are they overreacting to the shortcomings of this game? They're the only media outlet I really ever use, because I've watched them for so many years now, but I also know they have a tendency to blow things out of proportion. I was really looking forward to this game, and I haven't picked it up yet, because they made it sound like it has way too many shortcomings, especially in the later parts.

Regarding some of their major complaints about the late part of the game, going by their Quick Look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahxSs98aC1s

Brad [at 34min34sec]: “All this zipping around [in order to increase your core count in the later part of the game] is... you know on PC, my load times off an SSD were so short that [in order to fast travel] I would just go back to the Crawler and fast travel from there... on the Xbox that is NOT an option, because the load times were so crazy...”

So by Brad's account (although he never puts it this way), it's reasonable to infer: one of his major irritations (with the later part of ReCore) is considerably mitigated, if you're able to play on a PC with an SSD.

Brad [a bit later, agreeing with Jeff]: “...[Yes] it needs waypoints, and an onscreen minimap, desperately...”

While I currently have a few more cores than Jeff did in this Quick Look (though fewer Corebot Companions, so I've progressed less in the story): I really don't share his/Brad's desperate hunger for waypoints or a minimap. Hitting the map button, pulling up a full-screen map instantly (a map that has marked the general vicinity of every key object in the open/overworld), has always been enough for me.

While I can understand their preference for waypoints/mini-map (even if I don't share it), their tone of exasperation in conveying this relatively minor issue – as if this is yet another item in a long list of incomprehensibly bad, completely game-breaking design choices – I find very puzzling.

Brad [at 39mins01sec]: “On the surface, I don't mind like a Mario 64-style, like, 'you need this many stars to get in', it can be fun when it's managed well, but like the game does not dole that stuff out in a way that you will consistently have enough to do even the story stuff as you're moving through it...”

One thing immediately comes to mind here. It has been pointed out a few times in this thread, and it's VERY clearly marked on the map from the very first moment, when you start the game, so I don't think it's a spoiler:

Also, about gating: in the first area is a dungeon locked at 75 cores. Surely that hints to players to gtfo there and get dem cores as you go? I've been exploring all over, running into ?? level baddies and fleeing, climbing giant structures, dodging many bots and extracting. It's fun.

...I can't wait to play some more this afternoon. I think i'm gonna take a break from the story and go exploring and get some prismastic cores (since we know near the end you'll need to get a bunch of them anyways). I'm not a person who gets mad at a game for making me explore to find all these items to unlock a gate. There's a gate near the beginning of the game that needs 75 cores...that should have told you right there. LOL.

At my stage in the game (just hit an amazing platforming section in the open/overworld, after getting the second Corebot Companion), my impressions are just about the same as LukasTaves, from a couple days ago:

Well, I'm no where close to finishing the game, however one thing I noticed is that on the story path you are presented with many optional challenges that are awesome to do so I dunno why you wouldn't want to, and grants you many prismatic cores just by being good at those challenges.

Speed runs with great platforming, that you have to be fast but also have one eye out for hidden stuff; super thought battles, and so on. All presented to you very clearly when you are following the story. And considering the rate I'm collecting prismatic cores (more than what the main story line is giving me) I don't think by the end of the game I'll have to do much grinding.

Anyway way, I think I still can't talk for sure, but it seems to me that he either rushed the game going straight for the main quests and them found himself coreless, or he is just not any good in this game, unless the game really hands out cores like candy at first and them stops and raises disproportionally the amount of cores you need to progress.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I reached the end with all the cores I needed. I don't know, maybe I just "got" the game, but I went out there and explored the world, and it's been some of the best gaming moments I've had in recent years.

This game is just a pure joy to play, it has its problems with bugs and load times, but outside of that, I had an absolute blast. The end game was insane, and I really hope we get a sequel.

The reaction this game has gotten from a lot of reviewers pisses me off. This game is just so good, and deserves better.

Novocaine

I kind of dislike it. But at least cores and chests show up on the map.

But they could have say given Mack's frame a set that highlights points on the map or screen where hidden items are when you have him out. Something like that would have been sweet. Or been boring and given you a treasure map.

blakep267

Think I came across my first bug. When I got to the final part of the core tourney dungeon, I couldn't press the switch for the tram. Another possible bug I came across was during the overlord boss fight. I couldn't for the life of me extract any cores no matter what I did. I had to restart the game and it seemingly worked although it was still really hard to extract stuff

...Really disheartening to hear how hard the game dropped off for them after it sounds like they really liked it in the beginning. I'm still enjoying it and I have a little bit less than 10 hours... but I've been having fun doing all the side stuff so hopefully it won't stop being fun for me....

I just got Seth and I'm feeling the exploration and platforming seem well worth the price of admission. It's just so much fun getting around. I'm starting to feel a bit upset at the fact MS didn't put more resources behind this to polish it up. If the game does indeed start to drag in the last third or so then maybe they should have cut some stuff out and focused on a tighter, more refined experience...

...I went out there and explored the world, and it's been some of the best gaming moments I've had in recent years. This game is just a pure joy to play, it has its problems with bugs and load times, but outside of that, I had an absolute blast. The end game was insane, and I really hope we get a sequel. The reaction this game has gotten from a lot of reviewers pisses me off. This game is just so good, and deserves better.

Yeah, I'm pretty sad about this. But the response from Joe Staten was encouraging: https://twitter.com/joestaten/status/776317143172263936

"We hear you and we're committed to doing all we can to make things better. Stay tuned..."

Do folks think it would be worthwhile to create/compile some constructive criticism/feedback from this thread (or elsewhere), and shoot a message to Staten & Company? Here's a start, if something like this hasn't been done already:

Shame that we both caught that bug. BUG BROTHERS. lol. Your second clip is so awesome. That type of platforming feels so good. I hope they don't abandon this IP. So much good stuff in this game, even with its faults...

...Yes, I did figure out that by luck you MAY be granted an opportunity to jump off it right before it hits you. Still doesn't help that it's by chance. It's all the more infuriating when there's a perfectly good platform just feet away that wouldn't result in a death loop... I managed to complete Repository Blitz and get all the objectives with 1 second to spare. Couldn't make a clean run without hitting the energy balls or miss the moving gate at the end and spent about 30 seconds in death loops. I won't be going back in there... Also, there should be an option to restart a dungeon from the pause menu instead of it making you run the whole thing before you can start over... Ran into the fast-travel bug that sends you to the very beginning of the game! Fortunately there's an option to fast travel to the Crawler at any time, but how the hell did this make it in the game?

LOL, I had the exact same thing happen to me tonight. There were some ways to get out of it if you died enough but it was really annoying. I took a video so I could send it to Armature. Overall I love the platforming and exploration in the game. Some of the optional runs (especially Repository) can make you tear your hair out, but they are optional so you just need to remind yourself that optional content can be very challenging. I think all the main story dungeons have been a good level of difficulty, though.

The technical issues, primarily the loading in Xbox of course, are a big downer. I don't know why they let the game out the door like that. Lots of other little things like how long it takes to do the core infusion, how you can't see how a blueprint will affect your currently equipped armor, etc. just frustrate things a bit. But the core platforming and combat is tight and very fun...

Can't they patch the 2 corebot limit in the endgame so you don't have to go back and forth? Seems like something that would be very easy to do.

JonnyKong

Now that I assume some of you have completed this, or close to, how is the game overall? I'm still on the fence about it, as I'm worried about what a lot of the reviews mentioned the end game being awful and kinda ruining everything that's come before it. Plus those loading times..

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I want to buy this game so bad. But until a patch is announced on PC, I'm holding out. The $40 isn't an issue, but being broken late-game is.

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
Does anyone else have a bug where you cannot fast travel anywhere - it doesn't let me select anywhere on the map to fast travel to (PC Version)

Now that I assume some of you have completed this, or close to, how is the game overall? I'm still on the fence about it, as I'm worried about what a lot of the reviews mentioned the end game being awful and kinda ruining everything that's come before it. Plus those loading times..

Nothing gets worse gameplay wise, the game simply has players going back to explore the map for more cores. As the final area has multiple floors and each one requires more cores.

Having played the game pretty exploratory, its not bad. Though if your a player that doesn't like going back to explore with new abilities or in general, that end moment slams in your face.

Think of it like this, the first half is the story and exposition, the second half is literally exploring, adventuring, and finding cores, the game. This is what your doing the whole game but now there is no more story exposition in this half.

People kept telling me they loved it then hated it later. Never happened here. Having as much fun finding new dungeons or exploring as earlier if not more now that I can reach most places.

Are there frustrations? You bet. The loading is one, which factors into the low ammount of bots you can take at once and that micromanaging. If loading was better it would help, or if they just let us change from the menu, even better. Second, some of the areas are rather big, would like it if there was a vehicle to travel fast with.

Sydle

I'm not sure I'm down to 100%
Armory Flux
. I think I'd have to run it about 30 times before I perfect it.

Do folks think it would be worthwhile to create/compile some constructive criticism/feedback from this thread (or elsewhere), and shoot a message to Staten & Company? Here's a start, if something like this hasn't been done already:

Good idea. From the top of my head:

Problem: Looking into the room, right wall. Approaching it made the geometry disappear.

Problems: Spawning on platforms with moving objects shouldn't happen. This is also the place where I tried to fast travel from Violet's station and it sent me to the beginning of the game.

Location: Core Foundry > Room with the energy balls on a track in a room full of stacked containers
Problem: The energy balls and tracks didn't load. I backtracked a bit and then returned and they were there.

Location: The Cradle > Prismatic Core on a lone platform in the air (need the flying bot to get to it)
Problem: The platform didn't load, but the prismatic core spherical container was visible. I could see the container floating there, but would fall right through where the platform should have been. I left The Cradle and then returned and it showed up.

Location: The Warren > Room with the large square platform surrounded by toxic goo and the black crystals, with a single chest in the middle and pipes all over the walls
Problem: Falling off the edge between a black crystal and the platform results in being stuck. I had to fast travel to the crawler to get out.

Problem: I am 99% certain there is only 1 prismatic core in it, but the dungeon says there are two.

Bots
  • Unresponsive to commands: Sometimes Seth can be pre-occupied fighting or paying attention to something else and won't respond to my command to attach to a rail. That should never, ever happen.
  • Bot accessibility: It's a huge pain to have to travel back and forth from the crawler to select frames and cores. I think putting all the bots on a wheel that the user could select from on the fly instead of having to return to the crawler would be best. Let the player hold down the left shoulder button, pausing the action, and select what they need.
  • Core fusion: Don't require the player to hold down a button to fill up the quota required for the next level. Just have one button press that, when resources are available, just upgrade to the next level. If they don't have enough resources then it just flags not enough resources or something.
  • Research blueprints: make it easy to compare blue prints to each other and to what you currently have equipped. It would also be great if you could dissemble old parts to help make new parts.

Fast Travel
Sometimes it doesn't allow anything to be selectable.

Map
  • Allow the user to place waypoints
  • Show prismatic core and stash locations no matter if you're looking at it from the fast travel map or by selecting it in the menu
  • Give folks an option to show location of all collectibles

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Just went through Core Foundry and
met Victor
. Still having a lot of fun.

Only minor complaints I have are the long load times (which I can live with), fps drops (which aren't that bad) and the respawn glitch in Repository Blitz (which is just hilariously terrible).

Platforming with Seth is awesome.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Jumping around the rock faces to find the six keys outside the first dungeon was fun in a way I haven't had in a game in a long time. The dash-jump-dash-jump combo feels pretty good.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Jumping around the rock faces to find the six keys outside the first dungeon was fun in a way I haven't had in a game in a long time. The dash-jump-dash-jump combo feels pretty good.

I think I just did that, was it to unlock that yellow orb? Yeah that was pretty fun.

Not that fun of a session overall though: had to restart a traversal dungeon because I got a checkpoint in midair, making me instantly fall to my death. Tried flying to reach a platform, but to no avail. Had to restart the game. And just now the game crashed while in a big combat dungeon encounter.

Love the game, but the more play, the more bugs and technical issues pop up.

Top Bottom