• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driveclub VR launches for PS VR on October 13 for $39.99.

Auctopus

Only for season pass holders? Why? That's pathetic. I'm not saying they shouldn't be paid, just that if I paid 60 dollars for this game I shoudn't have to buy the game again when it's not a sequel of any sort.

I don't know if you're making up a hypothetical situation here... The people who bought this game on release week split into two categories. Ones who hated it and bashed it for months on GAF and the people who became die-hard fans and bought the Season Pass etc.

When people finally considered the game "fixed", it was going for about £8 for both the game and Season Pass. If you bought the game for $60 on release week (the only time it was anywhere close to $60) and didn't get the Season Pass at some point when it was £5 then I don't know really know what minority you're arguing for.

The people who paid $60, didn't buy the SP and are interested in VR and Driveclub VR is a very small percentage.

Edit: also, work is work etc.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Only for season pass holders? Why? That's pathetic. I'm not saying they shouldn't be paid, just that if I paid 60 dollars for this game I shoudn't have to buy the game again when it's not a sequel of any sort. This is additional content for the SAME base game. Who cares how many years they spent on this? That's not the player's problem.

My hypothetical COD DLC analogy applies well. If Activision tried to pulled that shit people would be all over their necks, for good reason. Evolution being a great team or not doesn't give them a free pass to exploit consumers.

Entitlement 101

Lady Gaia

Only for season pass holders? Why? That's pathetic. I'm not saying they shouldn't be paid, just that if I paid 60 dollars for this game I shoudn't have to buy the game again when it's not a sequel of any sort. This is additional content for the SAME base game. Who cares how many years they spent on this? That's not the player's problem.

You don't have to buy it, and they don't have to give it to you. Your argument is essentially that DLC should always be free, too, and that hasn't been the case for the vast majority of games.

You spent $60 on the game. I spent $85. Neither of us did so based on the promise of VR support. I'll be pleasantly surprised if there's a decent discount for the VR release, but I don't feel entitled to it.

My hypothetical COD DLC analogy applies well. If Activision tried to pulled that shit people would be all over their necks, for good reason. Evolution being a great team or not doesn't give them a free pass to exploit consumers.

People buy titles like FIFA, Madden, NBA 2k, Gran Tourismo, Forza Motorsport, F1 games for full price year after year and these games only have small changes the majority of the time, often the same content with a little added and some content adjusted to appear fresher. Why should Driveclub VR which has new content be any different to those. If you want the game you are going to buy it, be it release day or when it drops in price. Sony don't have to offer the season pass discount either, they didn't have to offer free content with due to the online launch issues either.

Curufinwe

If you think the price is too high, wait for it to drop. You aren't entitled to anything more than that.

I'm still waiting for the Bikes DLC to go on sale.

Salty Hippo

I don't know if you're making up a hypothetical situation here... The people who bought this game on release week split into two categories. Ones who hated it and bashed it for months on GAF and the people who became die-hard fans and bought the Season Pass etc.

When people finally considered the game "fixed", it was going for about £8 for both the game and Season Pass. If you bought the game for $60 on release week (the only time it was anywhere close to $60) and didn't get the Season Pass at some point when it was £5 then I don't know really know what minority you're arguing for.

The people who paid $60, didn't buy the SP and are interested in VR and Driveclub VR is a very small percentage.

Edit: also, work is work etc.

Entitlement 101

You don't have to buy it, and they don't have to give it to you. Your argument is essentially that DLC should always be free, too, and that hasn't been the case for the vast majority of games.

You spent $60 on the game. I spent $85. Neither of us did so based on the promise of VR support. I'll be pleasantly surprised if there's a decent discount for the VR release, but I don't feel entitled to it.

People buy titles like FIFA, Madden, NBA 2k, Gran Tourismo, Forza Motorsport, F1 games for full price year after year and these games only have small changes the majority of the time, often the same content with a little added and some content adjusted to appear fresher. Why should Driveclub VR which has new content be any different to those. If you want the game you are going to buy it, be it release day or when it drops in price. Sony don't have to offer the season pass discount either, they didn't have to offer free content with due to the online launch issues either.

Wow, the lengths people on GAF will go to defend this game is simply insane.

"You're making up stuff, but I know for a fact that everyone who doesn't hate the game has the season pass."

"Entitlement."

"You're arguing that all DLC should be free."

"It's the same as a new Gran Turismo or Forza".

Your money, guys. Enjoy.

King_Moc

Banned
Great price if you don't already own Driveclub, awful price if you do. All features except VR are being patched to original game, right? So you're paying $40 for a VR patch if you already own it? It's one way to reward your fanbase, I suppose. Yikes.

Probably because several PC games have done exactly that (not just racers). Some reputedly even being done by 1 or 2 rouge VR enthusiasts on the team, "off the books" in their spare time. A few games have charged $10 for VR support. Just because some PR mouthpieces whose job it is to sell you the game insinuate they've spent 10 years and 2 billion dollars doesn't make it so, puffery and embellishments are common tools. The reality is probably somewhere in between, it's neither a job for 1 guy nor the 134 man, 2 year AAA team people are trying to paint Driveclub VR as. I would guess a quality "VR Patch" for an existing game of existing assets is probably 10-20 guys working fairly sporadically for 6-8 months, and yes, that's pulled so fresh out of my ass you can probably smell the shit, but it's rooted in common sense.

This PR mouthpiece as you call him is a memeber here and a decent dude.

Have a little respect and stop being a fuckin drama lama. It's uncalled for.

Loudninja

Great price if you don't already own Driveclub, awful price if you do. All features except VR are being patched to original game, right? So you're paying $40 for a VR patch if you already own it? It's one way to reward your fanbase, I suppose. Yikes.
No, only the tracks.

Gestault

I think it's sort of a cruddy to withhold a discount for DCVR for only Season Pass holders, as opposed to those who "just" bought the full game. Some discount is better than no discount, so there is that.

King_Moc

Banned
No, only the tracks.

Ok, well that is kind of the main feature. What isn't coming over? Surely the events involving the new tracks must be?

I think it's sort of a cruddy to withhold a discount for DCVR for only Season Pass holders, as opposed to those who "just" bought the full game. Some discount is better than no discount, so there is that.

How much is the discount supposed to be? I have the season pass, so that could be handy. It'll probably just bring it down to the same amount that I can buy a physical copy for, most likely though.

Loudninja

Ok, well that is kind of the main feature. What isn't coming over? Surely the events involving the new tracks must be?

How much is the discount supposed to be? I have the season pass, so that could be handy. It'll probably just bring it down to the same amount that I can buy a physical copy for, most likely though.
No those are VR exclusive, I mean this is the whole point.

andshrew

Really looking forward to this given that it now seems to be the only racer on PS VR? Project CARS has been very quiet on this recently.

It's really, really not nice when VR makes you ill. You'll take the helmet off way before that ever happening.
I was mostly joking but I think I'm immune. I've tried to make myself sick on Gear VR (Escape Velocity) and on PSVR (Eve Vakyrie) and I've never even gotten close.

King_Moc

Banned
I was mostly joking but I think I'm immune. I've tried to make myself sick on Gear VR (Escape Velocity) and on PSVR (Eve Vakyrie) and I've never even gotten close.

It only happened to me playing Oculus Rift games on the Vive. There was frame skipping and...eww. I got an actual headache from Luckey's Tale. Everything else has worked ok though.

I'll wait a bit for GAF's reactions and reviews but I'm really hoping to get the psvr and this asap.I'm so disappointed there's no good racing game in gear vr....

TheMan

Damn, I thought this was going to be a free mode for existing owners :/ . Oh well, it's moot for the short term anyway since getting psvr is likely gonna be huge pain for the rest of the year.

exemp30

Not a bad price glad I skipped buying driveclub for 5 bucks earlier this week. I figured it wasn't going to just be a free update. I have to wait though because I'm not going to be playing it without a wheel that just seems weird. Man VR is turning out more expensive than I originally thought.

Curufinwe

Awful post based on misinformation.

Yikes.

sector4

AWESOME! I tried this at a shopping mall kiosk and have been jonesing for it ever since.. Pretty sure I need to buy a wheel too after trying it with a wheel :|

Anarion07

Anyone saying that the price is too high/pathetic or whatever hasn't been following DriveClub at all.
The post-launch support was simply amazing, the value of the season pass was phenomenal and you didn't even have to pay much for the game anyway (if you didn't buy it at launch)

Actually I'm surprised this is a stand alone 40$ game.

I thought it was some kind of patch/add on to be applied to DriveClub.

I was certain this is the case. I'm a bit surprised.

Now I'm wondering what's different - are there all new tracks, cars, etc? Or is it just Driveclub in VR? Treading new ground here and I'm not sure this is a good way of doing it.

The new VR modes like Passenger sound really cool.
Just nice to take a passenger seat to my own inadequate driving.

Think this will be a must buy for me when I eventually get PSVR.

Are people really trying to convince themselves that this is an entirely new game? Sigh.

It should be available for cheaper for people who already own the game, period. This is no different than if say Activision released COD DLC exclusively in the form of a GOTY Edition or something. It's ridiculous. Stop defending shitty practices.

Stay salty, Hippo.

Waveset

I bought the season pass ages ago, is it only valid for 12 months, is there a way I can check whether it's still active?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Is this digital only?
It's yet another game I can't see anywhere to preorder.
Seriously the picture they're painting with the games available at retail is terrible

foxbeldin

Is this digital only?
It's yet another game I can't see anywhere to preorder.
Seriously the picture they're painting with the games available at retail is terrible

81G5vDt3kqL._SL1500_.jpg

EU cover. So NA might get it too.

I bought the season pass ages ago, is it only valid for 12 months, is there a way I can check whether it's still active?

The season pass expired with the July update last year. If you buy it you still get all the content that has been released with it, which was 2 tours, 4-5 cars and some liveries each month. There was also quite a bit of free content released during that time, including tours, tracks, cars and liveries. Here's a post of mine from another thread about what has been released after the season pass expired:

There are a couple of Japanese cars in the season pass as well, but the No Limits Expansion with the Honda Civic and Nissan Skyline isn't part of the season pass. The following 4 Expansions/Tours (including the 2 bike tours) have been released long after the season pass has expired:

- No Limits Expansion Pack
- Finish Line Expansion Pack
- Suzuki Expansion Pack (DC Bikes)
- MV Agusta Expansion Pack (DC Bikes)

Then there's DC Bikes, which is a standalone expansion and can be upgraded to at a lower price, if you already have the main game. It also got a free tour (EBR Tour) and a purchasable livery pack.

Everything else was either free (like the Ignition, Photo-Finish, All Stars, and AMG Expansion Packs and more than a dozen additional cars) or part of the season pass.

Also, there are a few cars and a bike that will remain purchasable, despite owning the season pass. Those are just shortcuts and you can unlock all of them by playing the game, so don't waste your money unnecessarily. These vehicles are:

- Ferrari LaFerrari
- Renault R.S. 01
- Mercedes-AMG S65 Coupe
- Mercedes-AMG GT3
- KTM 1290 R ABS (free bike for everyone, not just DC Bikes owners)

The Aprilia RSV4 RF ABS Bike is also free and works even if you don't own DC Bikes, so grab that as well.

I think that covers everything.

This is the most up to date season pass roadmap, although they kept supporting the game with more updates afterwards:

dcspclqcr.jpg

Personally would have liked it there was the boxed game at that price as fair enough for what you get but then some form of dlc for existing owners, seems a bit harsh to expect us to double dip. On the plus side this should mean that it has a plat and full trophy list not DLC list, or better bloody have. VR games and trophies is going to be very intresting which ones get plats and which don't, could protentially be some quick easy plats on offer, that might tempt trophy hunters to get it. I have mine on preorder already for day 1 but not sure what games i am going to get yet, there are a lot of wait and see for me, driveclub is included as not a huge racing fan, but did really enjoy and plat driveclub when i played it.

Top Bottom