• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tonight I took on an all out attack from China

Status
Not open for further replies.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
So I just got the new iphone 7. I set up all my icloud programs, having a great time. But somehow, some son of a bitch Chinese dude hacks me. I think it was because I was watching NBA league pass, and they said the site wasn't secure. I don't know. Anyway, this dude sends me hundreds and hundreds of texts to sign up for some gambling site in Macau.
14567424_10105782058101097_3816618073113608400_o.jpg

I can't block the number because it's international and he keeps using different numbers. I call Verizon and they tell me to change my phone number. Fuck that. I've had this number since high school, nearly half my life---and as a freelancer, I'm don't want people to lose my contact info.

Anyway, I look it up online and it appears it's an issue with having my icloud information hacked. So I change my password, feeling safe---but then homeboy hacks me AGAIN. I keep getting messages and separate email notifications of a dude signing in from a macbook air, which I don't have. Apple automatically notifies me, makes me change my password; rinse, wash, repeat. He won't go away.

How do I stop this relentless monster? I emailed the corresponding apple support email that deals with spam, but I couldn't talk to anybody live since it's past office hours.

On a funnier note, I actually facetimed him momentarily. Saw his dumb fat face. Anyway, it's annoying.

Should I be worried about him getting any credit card info stored with itunes or anything like that? Social security through my verizon account? Is he just really annoying or is he a dangerous, dangerous man?

golem

If they got your new password quickly, you might have a keylogger on your system. I would suggest putting your computer through a scan

Media

Yeah the fact that the hack keeps happening after you change your password.means you have Kellogg ER. Avast and malwarebytes or nuke from orbit just to be sure.
How would one go about scanning for a keylogger?

Download avast and malwarebytes. Deep scan with both. If they find nothing, wipe it.

liquidtmd

Banned
Start sending him hundreds of GAF thread links

Three days of receiving gold like 'MY FRIEND WANTS ME TO GET HER PREGNANT', he will crack

neshcom

Banned
Sounds like they have access to something else, not just your phone number. Have you changed your email password? Gmail lets you log out of all other sessions.

Also, a keylogger could be an issue.

Media

Yes, good idea. Change passwords on EVERYTHING once you kill the keylogger. Having access to email means they can just change it back.

Alternatively, do the above from a computer you know is 99.9% clean (nothing that connects to the Internet is 100%) while your running scans.

Yes, good idea. Change passwords on EVERYTHING once you kill the keylogger. Having access to email means they can just change it back.

Alternatively, do the above from a computer you know is 99.9% clean (nothing that connects to the Internet is 100%) while your running scans.
Best advice in this thread.

erlim

Send a hundred messages back to him

Hypothetically, if I talked smack back to him, would it compromise my security further? Like, I'd bait him with links to rotten(dot)com and stuff, but I'm sure that site is most likely blocked in China. I dunno.

2 step authentication.

Done.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, Apple has this dumb thing where they make you wait a month after changing your password to get 2 step authentication.

So I'll just let him keep trying to lure me to Macau for the next little while.

NyFsqrQ.png

Also, thanks to everybody that recommended malwarebytes. It found some things, I dunno if they are keyloggers. I really appreciate the help.

fYBov6J.png

Now, can anybody recommend a good password manager for mac? I'd really appreciate it.

Seething in rage and gratitude at the same time.

Hypothetically, if I talked smack back to him, would it compromise my security further?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, Apple has this dumb thing where they make you wait a month after changing your password to get 2 step authentication.

So I'll just let him keep trying to lure me to Macau for the next little while.

NyFsqrQ.png

Also, thanks to everybody that recommended malwarebytes. It found some things, I dunno if they are keyloggers. I really appreciate the help.

Now, can anybody recommend a good password manager for mac? I'd really appreciate it.

go to appleid.apple.com and check your recovery e-mails and make sure nothing strange is on there. also, if your apple id was signed up with a third party e-mail, like gmail, go to your e-mail provider (gmail) and change the password there also.

1password is what i've always liked for a password manager

yeah, get rid of Conduit. It's probably not a keylogger but it will fuck up web browsing for sure.

neshcom

Banned

Don't forget, even if you get this dude out of your iCloud, he'll still have your phone number. Not like he needs it to send you texts, especially if he can keep changing the number.

Once you're 1000% sure this dude is gone (and not a second before!), then you can start redoing all your passwords. I like LastPass and think the premium version is worth it for mobile.

You know what? I am a sensible and honorable man, but this palooka has crossed the line. Dick-Pic avalanche commencing.
i wouldn't recommend doing anything like wiping your computer, you just need to find where the weak link is and i don't think it has anything to do with that.

on your iphone go to settings > messages > send & receive and check if any weird numbers/e-mails are there then remove them.

it sounds like this dude is linked or has access to one of the services, not really hardware or OS related.

danthefan

Don't forget, even if you get this dude out of your iCloud, he'll still have your phone number. Not like he needs it to send you texts, especially if he can keep changing the number.

Once you're 1000% sure this dude is gone (and not a second before!), then you can start redoing all your passwords. I like LastPass and think the premium version is worth it for mobile.

I got LastPass premium recently. For $12 a year it's well worth it.

erlim

Greg Odin eh? I named mine Charles Wilson.

No no, I meant like the basketball player. His dick pics leaked. Surfer beware, you're in for a scare, if you look.

Although, now that I think about it, I feel like I shouldn't have gotten him desensitized to monster sized dick pics if I had an intention to join that party.

Oh well, any excuse to whip out Gregory Peck.

I got LastPass premium recently. For $12 a year it's well worth it.

Thanks, I'll definitely check this out. Would this program help seal him out now? Or is it like the password manager thing where people are recommending I make absolute sure he's out of my system/services before I start LastPass?

No no, I meant like the basketball player. His dick pics leaked. Surfer beware, you're in for a scare, if you look.

Although, now that I think about it, I feel like I shouldn't have gotten him desensitized to monster sized dick pics if I had an intention to join that party.

Oh well, any excuse to whip out Gregory Peck.

Thanks, I'll definitely check this out. Would this program help seal him out now? Or is it like the password manager thing where people are recommending I make absolute sure he's out of my system/services?
LastPass is just a manager. I'm sure it can recommend complex passwords too.

erlim

Was he really that fat?

No, to be fair, I was being a bit histrionic with his physical description. He was just kinda pudgy. I wish I would have been fast enough to take a screenshot. He really was wearing one hell of a DGAF face though. I don't think this was his first rodeo.

Ozzyh26

Dick picks + anti-government propaganda. Anyone watching (and if he's Chinese you can bet someone is) sees that and trace it to him and he'll reel back his attacks real quick. Lots of people do that to get rid of Chinese hackers who stream on twitch.

erlim

We got a badass over here.

To OP, you might want to wipe your entire system. Do you have backups?

I do have a really recent backup, I just installed Mac OS Sierra a day or two ago, so I could just restore the previous version from apple's time machine. I'm running ClamXav now, just to see if there's anything more nefarious on the system.

It wouldn't be much of an inconvenience to turn back the clock, ought I do this GAF? Or are people talking about starting from absolute scratch?

In the meantime, I sent him all the dick pics.

Dick picks + anti-government propaganda. Anyone watching (and if he's Chinese you can bet someone is) sees that and trace it to him and he'll reel back his attacks real quick. Lots of people do that to get rid of Chinese hackers who stream on twitch.

Is this for real? I really hope it is. I've sent him a ton of dick-pics, but do I sprinkle in pictures of the Dalai Lama? I'd feel kind of bad about that. Really bad, but, you know I want justice and peace of mind.

joebruin

anyone know what "searchExt.safariextz" is? it show up on my mac after running malware bytes as well. couldn't really find any info on it. my AV software (sophos) didn't pick it up. is it a false positive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom