• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

Pretty sure the only difference in Cvania III is the soundtrack. And whether it's better or not is strictly opinion.
Nah, there's more: enemies do consistent damage across the entire game, so if you see the same enemy on multiple stages, you know how hard it'll hit you. In Castlevania 3, meanwhile, enemy damage scales with how far you are into the game; the further you are, the harder they'll hit. So, Akumajou Densetsu is harder up front, but much easier near the end, or so I've heard.

-KRS-

Nah, there's more: enemies do consistent damage across the entire game, so if you see the same enemy on multiple stages, you know how hard it'll hit you. In Castlevania 3, meanwhile, enemy damage scales with how far you are into the game; the further you are, the harder they'll hit. So, Akumajou Densetsu is harder up front, but much easier near the end, or so I've heard.

Also Grant's dagger throwing mechanic was changed between releases. It's permanent in Akumajou Densetsu while it's a temporary power up that consumes hearts in CV3.

OnPoint

Huh. The more you know

The carts were produced in a way that made them non-functional on most actual famicoms. IIRC it was because the rom chips took 3.3V and they didn't have anything to downregulate the 5V that a Famicom gives out. Amateur hour deluxe. The carts work on things like the retron 5 because it just dumps the rom. But not actual famicoms or NES units...

If someone did dump the rom I'd love to have it so I could actually run it on my FC everdrive and finally get to listen to the music.

Yeah, that's pretty much what the problem was with 8 bit Music Power. I don't get how they could mess that up. Why wouldn't you do it properly and get the proper 5V rom chips and have it run on any famicom instead of some random famiclone? What a wasted opportunity.

I was tempted to get Kira Kira but at that price + no guarantee it'll work on my Twin Fami + chance of it ruining my Twin Fami = meh.

Tain

The carts were produced in a way that made them non-functional on most actual famicoms. IIRC it was because the rom chips took 3.3V and they didn't have anything to downregulate the 5V that a Famicom gives out. Amateur hour deluxe. The carts work on things like the retron 5 because it just dumps the rom. But not actual famicoms or NES units...

If someone did dump the rom I'd love to have it so I could actually run it on my FC everdrive and finally get to listen to the music.

My copy worked totally fine on my AV Famicom... Should I be worried about continued use? edit: or was there a revision? I preordered it from AmiAmi so I assume I got the first version if so.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I drank a pretty nifty beer this evening: "Super 8-Bit IPA" out of Richmond, BC. Love the Zelda inspired label, so I had to do a quick photo shoot:

BFjX9Ws.jpg

I also started Castlevania this evening... More impressions to follow as I get further, though of course the whole thing is very familiar to me.

Now I need to get my own Super 8-bit IPA so I can check in on Untappd :p

-KRS-

My copy worked totally fine on my AV Famicom... Should I be worried about continued use? edit: or was there a revision? I preordered it from AmiAmi so I assume I got the first version if so.

Mine worked fine as well, I got mine from Play-Asia.
I got mine from Play-Asia as well and it didn't work on either my fc or my NES. I've heard it does work in some AV famicoms and some fc twins though, but it's basically luck if it works or not.

I think I knew some of this but it's good to see it here again. I really need the FC version of this.

I'd love to put together a list of FC games that are either better, more/less difficult, or different enough from their western versions to warrant notation. Off the top of my head:

Castlevania III - as mentioned above
Ninja Gaiden III - easier/more fair than NES version
Bayou Billy (Mad City) - easier/more fair than NES version
Mario Open Golf - more challenging than NES Open Tournament and has more courses
Contra - more detail in the graphics in some places

And that's not to mention the games where the FC has better sound due to having more channels to play with. (I think those lists are pretty easy to find online anyway.)

What else?

-KRS-

Well this is kind of the reverse, but the North American version of Jackal has more content than the Japanese version. For example the stages have a bit of horizontal movement to them as well, which they didn't in the fc version. There's an extra level that acts as the intro stage. And I want to say that the between-level picture/cutscene is also exclusive to the NA release. Just more polish overall.

Edit: oh right, and isn't the FC version of Battletoads easier?

D.Lo

Cutscenes, map screen interludes, animated backgrounds, it's kind of ridiculous how bare bones the NES version is!

Here's a good list of extra audio games:

https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/List_of_games_with_expansion_audio

Well this is kind of the reverse, but the North American version of Jackal has more content than the Japanese version. For example the stages have a bit of horizontal movement to them as well, which they didn't in the fc version. There's an extra level that acts as the intro stage. And I want to say that the between-level picture/cutscene is also exclusive to the NA release. Just more polish overall.

Edit: oh right, and isn't the FC version of Battletoads easier?
Jackal is almost a sequel on the NES. The same graphics tiles are used, but stage layouts and even the engine (with horizontal scrolling) have been completely re-done.

Cutscenes, map screen interludes, animated backgrounds, it's kind of ridiculous how bare bones the NES version is!

Here's a good list of extra audio games:

https://wiki.nesdev.com/w/index.php/List_of_games_with_expansion_audio

Jackal is almost a sequel on the NES. The same graphics tiles are used, but stage layouts and even the engine (with horizontal scrolling) have been completely re-done.

See, Jackal is an example of one where as a collector, I would really like to have both just to be able to play and compare.

Keep the examples coming. I will compile in a later post!

D.Lo

See, Jackal is an example of one where as a collector, I would really like to have both just to be able to play and compare.

Keep the examples coming. I will compile in a later post!
Anything based on an anime or anime-ilke themes that were sliced and diced for the NES versions.

Blaster Master
Magic John/Totally Rad
Shatterhand
All Kunio adaptations
Obviously Yume Kojo

Here's a list on Famicom World

http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=383.0

Lynd7

I can't believe it took this long for someone to post this. I was going to do it if I didn't see it. As far as I am concerned, this is the only NES soccer game.

EGM: Does it list who did the reviews?

Just looking at it, seems odd you only control one character. Once you get into it I guess its fun and makes more sense?

Boylamite

Just looking at it, seems odd you only control one character. Once you get into it I guess its fun and makes more sense?

While true you can issue real time commands to your team mates, like shooting/passing and tackling. It works nicely.
This is basically the soccer version of super dodge ball/river city ransom. There are super moves and health bars and all that goodness. You cannot go wrong.

OnPoint

GrBwstP.png

Did you find your frog in the month of Sept., NeoGAF NESers? Let's hope so!
October is a special month for this club and thread, as it's been one year since started! Wow!
Now it's onto Konami's Castlevania, one of the very best in action sidescrolling!​

TO2CviP.png

Let's get dat Wikipedia description up and moving:
Castlevania uses platform gameplay and is divided into six blocks of three
stages each, for a total of 18 stages. Simon can move, jump, crouch, climb stairs, and
use a magic whip as his primary combat weapon. When the player presses the button
to crack the whip, there is a short delay before Simon actually does so.[7] The player
begins the game with three lives, and must complete the current block of stages before
a timer runs out. Simon has a health meter, which decreases whenever he is attacked
by an enemy or projectile; if the meter is fully depleted, he falls into a pit, or the timer
reaches zero, the player loses one life. Hidden food items restore health, and bonus
lives are earned at certain score thresholds. A boss character must be defeated at the
end of each block in order to advance to the next one; the ultimate goal is to defeat the
Count at the end of Stage 18, triggering the collapse of his castle.​

Here's how the voting shook out for anyone interested.

We didn't vote this month. But that's OK!
Things are changing soon, so keep your eyes open!

Header image by D Lo, Monthly image made
by Wanyodos. Guidelines below by RavenholmDX. Selection Process by OnPoint.
Thanks guys!

NES Game Club Guidelines
The nominated title should be readily available via standard
channels such as eBay, for a reasonable price (Maximum $30,
preferably less to give the majority of people a chance to join
in). The title should be a licensed NES/Famicom title (No hacks,
homebrew, multicarts). Only exception is unlicensed, but readily available titles.
The title should be available in English, and if not, it should at the very least be
playable without knowledge of Japanese.

Due to the nature of the Club, excessively long or grind-heavy
games such as RPGs will be excluded.

Use this site to check prices.

Selection Process
Games can be nominated starting one day after the post for a month's pick
goes live (eg: if a game is posted on March 4, nominations open on March 5).

The first five games suggested after nominations open that have not yet been played,
and were not nominated the month before will be added to the list and will be voted on.

So be sure to come in early to nominate your favorites!

Five days after the nominations open, or when we reach five nominations (whichever
comes first) the nominations are tallied in the following manner:
The list of nominees are checked for infringements of the above
guidelines, and any not meeting the requirements are removed.
The voting list will be shuffled for each member voting.
Voting will take place until the 20th day of the month, at which point the poll will
close and the votes will be tallied.
The winner will be announced as soon as the tally is counted so that members
will have time to pick up the winning game.

Previous months:
- September 2016 - Blaster Master
- August 2016 - Adventure Island
- July 2016 - Zanac
- June 2016 - Conquest of the Crystal Palace
- May 2016 - Wrecking Crew
- April 2016 - Street Fighter 2010
- March 2016 -The Guardian Legend
- February 2016 - Shatterhand
- January 2016 - Rygar
- December 2015 - Super Mario 3
- November 2015 - Faxanadu
- October 2015 - Monster Party

BTails

Any differences between the two?

From what I can gather, the only difference outside of title screen and other localization changes, is the FDS version has the ability to save your progress, along with a unique music track that plays over the save screen.

Oh, and the FDS has loading screens.

From what I can gather, the only difference outside of title screen and other localization changes, is the FDS version has the ability to save your progress, along with a unique music track that plays over the save screen.

Oh, and the FDS has loading screens.

Pretty much. I just am a weirdo who has that option. >_>

OnPoint

Congrats to castlevania for winning. I don't think I have the cart for this; just part 3, lol. Guess it's gonna be VC or something.
I'm thinking we should make it an October tradition to play horror. Maybe Castlevania 2 next October and Dracula's Curse the year after.

BTails

I love Friday the 13th, no irony. It's underrated, and has a nice internet reputation of being terrible thanks to AVGN. But it's deeper than people give it credit for.

Nightmare on Elm St is also vastly underrated. Worth it for the excellent David Wise music alone.

dubc35

Nice! I just picked up a Castlevania copy online. I never owned it back in the day but love old school Castlevania so looking forward to rttp.

ultimos

Neo Member
I think I knew some of this but it's good to see it here again. I really need the FC version of this.

I'd love to put together a list of FC games that are either better, more/less difficult, or different enough from their western versions to warrant notation. Off the top of my head:

Castlevania III - as mentioned above
Ninja Gaiden III - easier/more fair than NES version
Bayou Billy (Mad City) - easier/more fair than NES version
Mario Open Golf - more challenging than NES Open Tournament and has more courses

And that's not to mention the games where the FC has better sound due to having more channels to play with. (I think those lists are pretty easy to find online anyway.)

What else?

Final Mission (Famicom) is quite a bit different and more difficult than SCAT (NTSC) or Action in New York (PAL).

Conezays

I was just in Richmond earlier in the week for work, but I bought this one at home in Calgary. It was quite good, if a little unremarkeable. Tasty IPA, but there was nothing special outside of the label.

Nice, thanks for the mini-review. Sierra Nevada is my go-to but I'm always interested in trying new IPA's. Thought Fremont was pretty good when I was down in Seattle recently. I'd definitely recommend Russian River's stuff in California if you ever get a chance.

On topic, looking forward to my AVS hopefully arriving this month.

I love me some classicvania and first castlevania is good classicvania. I'll be joining in with you guys this month. Sounds like it's gonna be a grand time!

wondermega

Maybe it's the nostalgia talking, but I have played the game a fair amount in years since and will always consider CV1 my favorite of the NES series. Number 3 is at least great, but still not as iconic and fresh to me. I feel like people want to ding it for its simplicity and clunkiness, but - especially considering its age, I feel the game does a very straightforward job of presenting an early stage NES (or mid stage Famicom) action game with a somewhat unique presentation and mechanic, topped off by decent visuals and excellent audio. File OG Mega Man under this exact same category.

OnPoint

Maybe it's the nostalgia talking, but I have played the game a fair amount in years since and will always consider CV1 my favorite of the NES series. Number 3 is at least great, but still not as iconic and fresh to me. I feel like people want to ding it for its simplicity and clunkiness, but - especially considering its age, I feel the game does a very straightforward job of presenting an early stage NES (or mid stage Famicom) action game with a somewhat unique presentation and mechanic, topped off by decent visuals and excellent audio. File OG Mega Man under this exact same category.

Castlevania is my favorite in the whole series, and in my top 5 games of all time easy. I feel like it's a masterclass in design.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Something strange happened to me when I was turning on Castlevania for the monthly pick tonight. I started the game, the music when entering the game played, and then when I started level 1 there were no music. The sound effects were there, but during the whole of the first level, there were just no music, including at the boss. When I entered level 2 the music was back however, so I turned of my machine and restarted, and this time everything worked. Does anybody have a clue what happened? Im playing a uk-version on an Av Famicom.

I don't know if I'd call CV1 my favourite but it's definitely a great game because of its simplicity. I go back to it occasionally if I just want a simple game where I can whip zombies and throw axes into bats. Fuck those mermen though.

I finished the game when I was younger but I don't know if I would have the patience to do it now though. Guess I'll find out once I get the FDS part of my Twin Fami up and running again. Just found out I've been using the wrong adapter all this while (not enough amperage which caused all sorts of weird problems). Hopefully I can get a new power adapter in time to join in!

Pretty excited to play as I've never played the FDS version before!

Holy shit, this thread.

I've had an NES, A/V cable, Power adaptor sitting in my closet for years. I lost the controller somehow and I sold all of my games during a financial crisis a few years ago. The other day, I picked up a controller and the cheapest game I could find (Double Dribble) to test it and see if it worked. It does.

Now I'm checking out eBay looking for some of my favorites. Crystalis and Rygar are the first that come to mind, but reading through this thread has reminded me of dozens of others I need to get too. Ugh!

Holy shit, this thread.

I've had an NES, A/V cable, Power adaptor sitting in my closet for years. I lost the controller somehow and I sold all of my games during a financial crisis a few years ago. The other day, I picked up a controller and the cheapest game I could find (Double Dribble) to test it and see if it worked. It does.

Now I'm checking out eBay looking for some of my favorites. Crystalis and Rygar are the first that come to mind, but reading through this thread has reminded me of dozens of others I need to get too. Ugh!

Welcome. Check your wallet at the door.

OnPoint

Holy shit, this thread.

Bonjour! We make an effort to keep the monthly Club picks affordable. Hopefully you can join us in that quest :)

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Holy shit, this thread.

Welcome! Check out the Retro AV Club as well if you want to really join the dark side
and go broke in the process

TheWraith

Something strange happened to me when I was turning on Castlevania for the monthly pick tonight. I started the game, the music when entering the game played, and then when I started level 1 there were no music. The sound effects were there, but during the whole of the first level, there were just no music, including at the boss. When I entered level 2 the music was back however, so I turned of my machine and restarted, and this time everything worked. Does anybody have a clue what happened? Im playing a uk-version on an Av Famicom.

This also happens occasionally on my Analogue NT!

D.Lo

This is most likely the cause of the problem.

While the game isn't optimised, it was PAL localised, it's not the same ROM. So it would not have been tested in 60Hz machines, so bugs like that were more likely to slip through.

Top Bottom