• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS Uses DMP's PICA200 GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
camineet said:
It's iteresting they concidered Imagination Technologies, probably for PowerVR SGX.
yep. it's not like Imagination, with their MBX and SGX lineups, dominate the handheld market.

camineet said:
This is an encouraging article - sounds like Nintendo's madeall the right decisions with the 3DS so far:

* Improved GPU that strikes the right balance between graphical capabilities and low power performance
* Analog slider that improves upon the PSP nub
* Larger capacity game cards (up to 2GB)
* Backwards compatibility with the DS
* Higher resolution screens that strike the right balance between pixel density and cost (i.e. it's not a "retina display" but it's certainly much better than the DS)
* Improved wireless capabilities
* Hard-coding the "download stuff while in standby mode" so that it's not game-dependent
* 3D without glasses (this is the "system seller")
* Including a 3D slider to adjust the impact of the 3D effect

No wonder that third-party developers are signing on so quickly. Unlike the Wii and the DS, where the viability of the platforms were in somewhat in question, the 3DS is a clear winner from the outset.

This only makes me wonder how they will approach positioning the Wii successor to third parties. If they can replicate the "clear winner" perception, they'll have it made.

camineet said:
It's iteresting they concidered Imagination Technologies, probably for PowerVR SGX.
How is that interesting? You would be crazy not to consider IMG TECH for your 3D capable portable in the last 4-5 years.

wsippel

Banned
Shogmaster said:
How is that interesting? You would be crazy not to consider IMG TECH for your 3D capable portable in the last 4-5 years.
I agree. The interesting part is that they've decided to go with DMP instead, a company pretty much nobody ever heard of just a few weeks ago. The guys working there are not nobodies, though - individually, they do have a track record.

Veal

So here's a question for those knowledgable enough: do you think the 3DS could pull off effects like Object Based Motion Blur? I know Sony was able to fake (?) it on Shadow of the Collosus and Headstrong was able to do it in House of the Dead Overkill, but it was largely an effect seen on the "next gen" consoles. I personally love the effect and would estatic if the 3DS could do things like that with some proficiency. A port of Mirrors Edge would be...*sigh*

M3d10n

Veal said:
So here's a question for those knowledgable enough: do you think the 3DS could pull off effects like Object Based Motion Blur? I know Sony was able to fake (?) it on Shadow of the Collosus and Headstrong was able to do it in House of the Dead Overkill, but it was largely an effect seen on the "next gen" consoles. I personally love the effect and would estatic if the 3DS could do things like that with some proficiency. A port of Mirrors Edge would be...*sigh*
I was going to say not, due to the lack of programmable pixel shaders (which are needed to write motion vectors and perform the directional blur per pixel), but thinking again it is entirely possible to do it in the same way Shadow of The Collossus did by using vertex shaders.

Camera motion blur is much simpler (even the Wii and PS2 can do it).

wsippel

Banned
M3d10n said:
I was going to say not, due to the lack of programmable pixel shaders (which are needed to write motion vectors and perform the directional blur per pixel), but thinking again it is entirely possible to do it in the same way Shadow of The Collossus did by using vertex shaders.

Camera motion blur is much simpler (even the Wii and PS2 can do it).
Not to mention that faked/ camera 2D motion blur usually looks much better as well. I have a very interesting book by a guy called Maximilian Schönherr where this stuff is explained in depth. And that guy knows what he's talking about.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Veal said:

You can use the accumulation buffer in OpenGL for blur effects. Not sure if thats what you would call 'Object Based Motion Blur'.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Veal said:
but it was largely an effect seen on the "next gen" consoles.
That's not object-MB though, it works on the whole screen based on velocities written on every pixel.

Vertex shader per-object MB(ala SOTC) generally looks a lot better, but it scales poorly - expensive with a lot of objects(or big objects), and it's complicated to do with animated entities like characters.

Vagabundo

Eteric Rice said:
Are they still alive? Maybe they can?

wikiwiki said:
In late December 2008, several online media outlets reported that Brash Entertainment (Factor 5's publisher of their current project) would close at the end of the month after encountering financial problems. This sudden interruption in funding left Factor 5 with their own funding difficulties, eventually causing its closure in May 2009

:(

camineet

Banned

Nintendo 3DS Graphics Supplied By DMP PICA 200 [Tegra Not In 3DS, Nintendo Goes With Fellow Japanese Company DMP For Graphics GPU

3D gaming is hardware intensive. Developers at E3 said that to get a stereoscopic 3D image running, you basically need to run at 120 frames per second. Because of the extra hardware demands, it had been speculated that Tegra – NVIDIA‘s high-performance mobile graphics solution was powering the Nintendo 3DS. The story has been set straight – and small Japanese firm DMP is providing the graphics.

DMP stands for Digital Media Professionals. It’s a bit odd (and refreshing) to see Nintendo go with a smaller firm for the 3DS graphics. ATI provided the graphics for the Gamecube while (at a time) giant Silicon Graphics provided the graphics for the Nintendo 64.
DMP is boasting that despite their PICA200 core in the Nintendo 3DS having just a 200MHz clockspeed, they’re able to achieve 3D stereoscopic and 15.3 million polygons per second.

Art style aside – it’s not bad looking for a mobile game – and it has some impressive visuals like the boss fight and flying over the city.
The rest of the Nintendo 3DS’ specs (CPU, RAM, most importantly – price) are still being kept under wraps by Nintendo. It’s worth noting that DMP themselves issued this release saying they’re doing the graphics on the 3DS – not Nintendo. It’s feasible that Nintendo wants to keep this all under wraps.

Read: Nintendo 3DS Graphics Supplied By DMP PICA 200 [Tegra Not In 3DS, Nintendo Goes With Fellow Japanese Company DMP For Graphics GPU] » TFTS – Technology, Gadgets & Curiosities

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/06/23...fellow-japanese-company-dmp-for-graphics-gpu/

So if the 3DS is using the 200 MHz version from 2006, we'll get that 15m pps. around Gamecube level, slightly less actually.

3DS Development Costs May Approach Wii Levels
By Ishaan . June 22, 2010 . 9:36am

At a post-E3 conference Q&A session with various analysts, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata commented on the hardware upgrade from Nintendo DS to 3DS, and how developers should expect the new device to affect their costs of development.

“As long as you are already creating a fully rendered 3D world, all you have to do in order to create the 3D visual effect is to capture the same images with two cameras, one for right eye and the other for left eye,” said Iwata. “From a development perspective, it actually does not make much of a difference in terms of development costs to create the 3D visual effect.”

For those who couldn’t quite wrap their heads around yesterday’s 3DS GPU specifications, what this means is that every game running in 3D is rendering its visuals twice. This is why the 3DS’s “effective” resolution while running 3D software is horizontally doubled to 800×240 px, instead of 400×240 px, which is the device’s standard screen resolution.

“On the other hand, because the visual capabilities of Nintendo 3DS are more powerful than the existing Nintendo DS, if you are going to take full advantage of the graphics capability of Nintendo 3DS, the development cost is also expected to rise,” Iwata continued.

“Therefore, if developers decide to try and maximize the graphical powers of the system, then the cost would be more expensive than what it is currently for Nintendo DS and may potentially approach the cost of developing Wii software. “

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/22/3ds-development-costs-may-approach-wii-levels/

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
brain_stew said:
You're scaring me Faf, I don't want another system plagued by texture aliasing! :(

Don't worry... you will be fine when they release 3DS-II and just like me when you started playing modern games on current generation systems, thankful that major texture aliasing were a problem of the past, and ...

you enter the sweet world of specular/shader aliasing...

Edge aliasing is becoming less of a problem (see MLAA in recent titles and maybe mixing MLAA and selective MSAA for subpixel sampling issues), but aliasing induced by the shiny pixels delivered by normal+reflection+whatever mapping is getting more and more of a problem.

blu

another blog post sleuthed by camineet said:
DMP stands for Digital Media Professionals. It’s a bit odd (and refreshing) to see Nintendo go with a smaller firm for the 3DS graphics. ATI provided the graphics for the Gamecube while (at a time) giant Silicon Graphics provided the graphics for the Nintendo 64.
the only refreshing thing above is the author's oblivion of recent industrial history. that, and..

DMP is boasting that despite their PICA200 core in the Nintendo 3DS having just a 200MHz clockspeed, they’re able to achieve 3D stereoscopic and 15.3 million polygons per second. Not bad, here’s a video of some 3DS graphics.
don't you need to quote a source if you throw in something like that, mr. Schram?

Panajev2001a said:
Edge aliasing is becoming less of a problem (see MLAA in recent titles and maybe mixing MLAA and selective MSAA for subpixel sampling issues), but aliasing induced by the shiny pixels delivered by normal+reflection+whatever mapping is getting more and more of a problem.
you love SSAA. you know it.

So out of curiosity, would this be a chip Nintendo might use on their next home console? I can see the advantages it brings concerning handheld gaming, but is it something that with more pipelines and a higher clock rate would make a good/great console GPU?

Jme

Bending_Unit_22 said:
So out of curiosity, would this be a chip Nintendo might use on their next home console? I can see the advantages it brings concerning handheld gaming, but is it something that with more pipelines and a higher clock rate would make a good/great console GPU?

No, not at all. Totally different worlds.

Veal

Fafalada said:
That's not object-MB though, it works on the whole screen based on velocities written on every pixel.

Vertex shader per-object MB(ala SOTC) generally looks a lot better, but it scales poorly - expensive with a lot of objects(or big objects), and it's complicated to do with animated entities like characters.
Sorry if I got terms mixed (or made) up. I'm not too technically minded, though I love reading about it. Was the PS2 able to do that motion blur due to its insane amount of pixel fillrate? Also, is it completely impossible for one to write custom shaders for the 3DS? Or is it a case of a developer not wanting to go through the trouble, so Nintendo made it somewhat easier?

Bending_Unit_22 said:
So out of curiosity, would this be a chip Nintendo might use on their next home console?

There's literally no reason for them to use a chip like this in a home console. Even if they continue a Wii-style low-power strategy (which I'm sure they will) they'll have room to go with a real console-oriented GPU with full pixel shader support and other modern features.

DonMigs85

camineet said:
Exactly.

The next home console will probably use a midrange/highend GPU from ATI/AMD based off the Radeon R900 or R1000 generation.
Ooh, if it's at least about as powerful as the Radeon 5770 it'll be great.

Kayhan

camineet said:
Exactly.

The next home console will probably use a midrange/highend GPU from ATI/AMD based off the Radeon R900 or R1000 generation.
Thats very optimistic IMHO, I doubt they will go that powerful. In fact I don't think it will near that powerful, IMO. Of course everything depends on launch time. Late 2012 for Japan at the earliest would be my guess.

Instro

Snakeyes said:
So is Nexus is just regurgitating the information on the slides as facts, or do we have some new information?

Probably the former.

With regards to their next console, wouldnt this handheld gpu indicate that they are not adverse to putting some power into their systems? I suppose we will know for sure though once the real specs are released.

blu

Instro said:
With regards to their next console, wouldnt this handheld gpu indicate that they are not adverse to putting some power into their systems? I suppose we will know for sure though once the real specs are released.
IMO the major conclusion we can draw from the known 3DS specs is that nintendo are not adverse to giving devs easy-to-develop-for platforms.

the wii was a bit of a good-intentions-turned-bad there - on one hand nintendo'd have assumed it should've been easy to develop for (second generation of the same architecture, old engines running on it out-of-the-box, yadda-yadda) but in practive the gamedev world had departed in both architecture understanding and assets creation skills. so we all know the end result.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Just realized one MAJOR drawback of the 3DS.

There's going to be significantly less sprite-based games.

If you're making a game based on 3D polygonal models, you only need to program one environment. All you need is a second in-game camera.

But with sprite based? You'd basically have to do extensive parallaxing and then create two simultaneous graphics environments at once. So you have to work twice as hard to make a sprite-based game as you usually would.

Edit: It's like making games for the Virtual Boy.

Medalion

Banned
ZealousD said:

If you're making a 3D game, you only need to program one environment. All you need is a second in-game camera.

But with sprite based? You'd basically have to do extensive parallaxing and then create two simultaneous graphics environments at once. So you have to work twice as hard to make a sprite-based game as you usually would.
That's why the home consoles like Wii have that covered

yankee666

ZealousD said:

If you're making a game based on 3D polygonal models, you only need to program one environment. All you need is a second in-game camera.

Edit: It's like making games for the Virtual Boy.

Well, on E3 they showed some sprite based games from Nes and Snes on 3D. So We can hope for a 3DSware or 3D Virtual console re-release of those classics in 3D :D

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=23421

crisdecuba said:
This is an encouraging article - sounds like Nintendo's madeall the right decisions with the 3DS so far:

* Improved GPU that strikes the right balance between graphical capabilities and low power performance
* Analog slider that improves upon the PSP nub
* Larger capacity game cards (up to 2GB)
* Backwards compatibility with the DS
* Higher resolution screens that strike the right balance between pixel density and cost (i.e. it's not a "retina display" but it's certainly much better than the DS)
* Improved wireless capabilities
* Hard-coding the "download stuff while in standby mode" so that it's not game-dependent
* 3D without glasses (this is the "system seller")
* Including a 3D slider to adjust the impact of the 3D effect

No wonder that third-party developers are signing on so quickly. Unlike the Wii and the DS, where the viability of the platforms were in somewhat in question, the 3DS is a clear winner from the outset.

This only makes me wonder how they will approach positioning the Wii successor to third parties. If they can replicate the "clear winner" perception, they'll have it made.
It's going to be harder for the Wii successor no matter what they do, I think. The Wii has competition whereas the 3DS does not seem to.

blu

hope you don't mind if i return to an older subject from this thread. i just cought up on the whole talk of SSAA through camera jitter, and i don't think the trick would be plausible. let me explain why.

jittering AA is based on miniscule pannings of the geometery in *screen* space. that requires one essential thing - fixed precision of the jittering offset as per screen space. jittering the camera does not do that - it operates in world space, prior to applying perspective division. so what that means is that the jttering effect would vanish with increasing distance from the front clipping plane - things on the front will receive jitter, while things in the back - won't. that could be countered through 'inversing' the perspective effect for the jitter offset in the vertex shader, per vertex. not accounting for the performance implications of that (essentially, it won't be free), that takes us to the second issue with this approach: *fixed* precision.

floats are not good at fixed precision. namely, their precision drops with increasing the magnitude of the number. that's why all jittering SSAA solutions i'm aware of apply the effect in fixed-point precision, in (or near to) the final stages of the vertex pipeline - screen-space mapping. what that means for the camera-jitter approach is that the effective jitter, even if applied per vertex in the vertex shaders, will not be constant across the depth range of the camera frustum. or simply put, your jitter will, erm, jitter with varying distance from the camera.

what does it all mean? that (1) the approach won't be fee when used with perspective-projection cameras (could be free with ortographic, though), and (2) regardless of the projection type, the effect would exhibit artifacts, depending on the depth span of the view frustum, so the frustum will have to be tweaked and tuned to minimise that. IOW, the approch would be free neither computationally, nor in terms of implications on the graphics pipeline design.

last but not least, StarFox demo was confirmed to be running in 3D, which makes the camera jittering even more complicated (or flat impossible, depending how you look at it).

volmer

blu said:
hope you don't mind if i return to an older subject from this thread. i just cought up on the whole talk of SSAA through camera jitter, and i don't think the trick would be plausible. let me explain why.

jittering AA is based on miniscule pannings of the geometery in *screen* space. that requires one essential thing - fixed precision of the jittering offset as per screen space. jittering the camera does not do that - it operates in world space, prior to applying perspective division. so what that means is that the jttering effect would vanish with increasing distance from the front clipping plane - things on the front will receive jitter, while things in the back - won't. that could be countered through 'inversing' the perspective effect for the jitter offset in the vertex shader, per vertex. not accounting for the performance implications of that (essentially, it won't be free), that takes us to the second issue with this approach: *fixed* precision.

floats are not good at fixed precision. namely, their precision drops with increasing the magnitude of the number. that's why all jittering SSAA solutions i'm aware of apply the effect in fixed-point precision, in (or near to) the final stages of the vertex pipeline - screen-space mapping. what that means for the camera-jitter approach is that the effective jitter, even if applied per vertex in the vertex shaders, will not be constant across the depth range of the camera frustum. or simply put, your jitter will, erm, jitter with varying distance from the camera.

what does it all mean? that (1) the approach won't be fee when used with perspective-projection cameras (could be free with ortographic, though), and (2) regardless of the projection type, the effect would exhibit artifacts, depending on the depth span of the view frustum, so the frustum will have to be tweaked and tuned to minimise that. IOW, the approch would be free neither computationally, nor in terms of implications on the graphics pipeline design.

last but not least, StarFox demo was confirmed to be running in 3D, which makes the camera jittering even more complicated (or flat impossible, depending how you look at it).
Those are good observations.

I will just go ahead and state that the solution is to jitter the near plane and not the location of the camera, i.e. to shear the view frustum such that the eye remains fixed while the near plane is displaced by (s,t), where (s,t) corresponds to the sampling offset multiplied by the dimensions of a pixel on the near plane.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
blu said:
i just cought up on the whole talk of SSAA through camera jitter, and i don't think the trick would be plausible.
Correct on camera jitter. But for this kind of AA you jitter the viewport(as volmer already pointed out), which is just one matrix down the line from Camera, and therefore doesn't change the cost either.

That said, I'm gonna go pedantic on this one - this is Accumulation AA, not SS - notable advantage being that samples are not on an ordered grid, but can use any of the more optimal distributions we want.
Admittedly, it won't make a huge difference with only 2 samples (it does with 4 or more) but still.

Fafalada said:
Correct on camera jitter. But for this kind of AA you jitter the viewport(as volmer already pointed out), which is just one matrix down the line from Camera, and therefore doesn't change the cost either.

That said, I'm gonna go pedantic on this one - this is Accumulation AA, not SS - notable advantage being that samples are not on an ordered grid, but can use any of the more optimal distributions we want.
Admittedly, it won't make a huge difference with only 2 samples (it does with 4 or more) but still.

Well if the result is as as good as the AA in GT PSP then I think that's still a pretty significant increase in image quality. If the PICA2000 does indeed have issues with mip mapping as suspected and without any MSAA support either, anything that helps alleviate aliasing is going to be worthwile imo.

Just going off the screenshots released, Starfox (which is believed to be demonstrating the accumulation AA) looks much cleaner than Kid Icarus for instance (a game which has some pretty severe issues with aliasing).

Durante

I think what Fafalada meant is that being able to freely choose sample positions won't be much of an advantage with just 2 samples, not that the AA won't make a big difference over not having AA.

Durante said:
I think what Fafalada meant is that being able to freely choose sample positions won't be much of an advantage with just 2 samples, not that the AA won't make a big difference over not having AA.

Oh, my bad.

blu

Fafalada said:
i interpreted volmer's argument slightly differently - one could jitter the lateral clipping extents of the view frustum (thus affecting the clipping stage's inequality of -W < { X, Y } < W), and that indeed would be both free and produce perspective-correct jitter of the geometry in screen space, but it could suffer from the same unstable precision when going deep into large view frustums.

jittering the viewport would be the ideal solution (as you noted it's the right stage of the pipeline to apply jittet at), if the viewport could be defined in sub-pixel coorinates. traditionally viewports in openGL are defined in integer coordinates, which would produce a rather rough jitter. of course, nobody says nintendo should stick to the letter of OGL in their SDK.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
blu said:
i interpreted volmer's argument slightly differently
Possibly I misread it as well - anyway, viewport offsets is the proper way (and how we've always been doing it ;) - accumulation AA is actually fairly common practice for print-screenshots, combined with tiling).

traditionally viewports in openGL are defined in integer coordinate
Even OpenGL allows you to set your own projection matrix, and if this thing really works with any sort of programmable pipeline you will have to do that anyway.

But yea, it'd be a surprise to see OGL compliant console as well. ES has been trying for 7 years and hasn't made it into a single dedicated game-platform.

blu

Fafalada said:
Possibly I misread it as well - anyway, viewport offsets is the proper way (and how we've always been doing it ;) - accumulation AA is actually fairly common practice for print-screenshots, combined with tiling).
you're referring to the ps2, i assume?

Even OpenGL allows you to set your own projection matrix, and if this thing really works with any sort of programmable pipeline you will have to do that anyway.
that takes us back to volmer's suggestion (i.e. jittering the frustum's x/y-extents in the projection transform), as the projection matrix and viewport/window mapping transform are separate parts in the GL pipeline (either programmable or fixed-function). there projection produces clipping space with a 'hard-coded' clipping inequality of (-w <= { x, y, z } <= w), then homogeneous division yields NDC space ( [-1, 1] in all directions), which after the viewport transform yelds screen space (a simple linear ax + b transform). basically the viewport's rect has the final say of screen mapping. what you suggest could be done if (a) the viewport rectangle accepted fractional coords (and then used sub-pixel correction to account for the snapping-to-integer), or (b) one had control over the frustum clipping condition, so that one could incorporate the screen-space mapping directly into the projection transform. in GL you have neither of those though, and from what i remeber in d3d neither (though it was a real long time since i last delt with it).

But yea, it'd be a surprise to see OGL compliant console as well. ES has been trying for 7 years and hasn't made it into a single dedicated game-platform.
it made it pretty darn close with the idevices though, and something tells me it will continue getting closer to dedicated game platforms in the future. i think it's time you made peace with it : )

M3d10n

Blu,

Since the GPU supports vertex shaders, it's just a matter of adding a small X/Y offset to the vertex position *after* the transformation to screen coordinates. Bam! Jittered.

Also, this can be done in 3D: just let the LCD ghosting do the "blending" for you. I remember a DS homebrew demo that simply jittered the texture coordinates. Due to the LCD lag, the texture looked slightly filtered. Of course it only works for 60fps games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom