• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cxllege Fxxtball 2016 Week Thirteen: Whx gets the best lxss?

Quake1028

He's not wrong though. USC is seemingly back to where they were and Washington is a contender as well. Oregon's main competition is no longer Stanford.

Oregon should try to get Chip Kelly back right now. He's going to get fired soon anyway.

He's not wrong, but still, the point stands.

49ers aren't firing Chip after 1 year.

ESPN recommends Holgorsen or Harsin.

Cheeto, you think A'dore Jackson is going to get some Heisman votes?

A few yeah. He's a pretty special player in the return game and by most accounts a good to great cover corner. I think using him less on offense helped him be a better defensive player but probably won't help him win a Heisman.

He might finish 5th which seems pretty fair.

He's not wrong, but still, the point stands.

49ers aren't firing Chip after 1 year.

ESPN recommends Holgorsen or Harsin.

Yeah the PAC-12 landscape is vastly different now than it was during Oregon's rise. Everyone has fancy helmets and new facilities, UW is finally out of the malaise that started in the mid 90s when they got hit with LOIC and then continued on with a string poor coaching hired. USC is out from sanctions and has a coach who will at least not embarrass them on a personal level. Everyone has learned from the Chip Kelly offense so they don't even have that.

Now whoever they hire has to go into SoCal and fight elite programs for recruits and be capable of developing less heralded talent into stars.

This is also the first time in 40 years Oregon has fired a head coach.

BajiBoxer

Banned
I'm still not convinced OSU is a lock especially if PSU somehow blows out Wisconsin.
Maybe if Penn St, Washington, and Clemson all have dominating performances. The playoff comitee said the difference between Washington and Penn St is very very small, while they aren't even close to OSU. Washington and Clemson are the best candidates to get bumped by a Penn St blowout, imo.

andycapps

Marcus Marshall is transferring from Georgia Tech. He's the younger brother of former UGA RB, Keith Marshall, and had a good season for the Jackets this year.

Maybe if Penn St, Washington, and Clemson all have dominating performances. The playoff comitee said the difference between Washington and Penn St is very very small, while they aren't even close to OSU. Washington and Clemson are the best candidates to get bumped by a Penn St blowout, imo.

That is true and is probably the case. I just find it hard to believe they won't put PSU in especially for the fact that since that OSU game they have obliterated everyone and then a blowout of Wisconsin would ice it for me. Even as an OSU fan if PSU blows out Wiscy and gets left out then the whole thing is bullshit. Even if it means bumping OSU down to 5.

Okudah was never gonna come to Texas he's OSU all the way, same with Dobbins really unless OSU got that other RB. Browning and Wilson would have defintely came even if Charlie kept his job after the season. He's just that good of a crooter.
Probably for both Okudah and Dobbins, but I think Charlie could have made a run at the two of them with more job security and a better record.

He may have been able to make a run at Hines rather than Hines probably going to Aggieland.

I'm hoping that we finish with Okudah, Wilson, Browning, Werner, and maybe Trey Smith since the issues that have arisen with Tennessee.

Oh and keep Wade in the class

If they're picking the 4 best teams NOW, then I don't understand why their top 4 isn't tOSU, UW, Clemson and USC. No other teams have either (1) played the same quality of opponents and (2) performed as well NOW, than those 4 teams.

If conference championships don't matter, then they should announce the final 4 this week rather than next.
Why does Bama-GAF keep underselling itself? If you are being serious mre (which I can never tell sometimes)

the average margin of victory for Bama has been 28 points.. with the exceptions of Ole Miss and LSU, you have handled every opponent with absolute ease.

Just because the SEC is having a down year does not mean Bama blows..

This is the college football equivalent of the New England Patriots complaining that their team sucks never mind that they went 3-1 without Gronk and Brady.. Come on guys.. you need to accept that you are the best team in the country and will probably beat every team you match against in the Championship and that this is one of Bama's better teams under Saban.

Bama & OSU are locks, even if Bama loses.
Clemson & UW win and in.
One of them loses and Michigan gets in.
Both lose and the B10 Champ gets in.
I think that is the general consensus..

I'm still not convinced OSU is a lock especially if PSU somehow blows out Wisconsin.
I agree.. but I don't see that happening.. I think Wisky will win.

tebunker

Banned
Topics for tonights podcast? (dont worry the playoff conversation will be covered)

Best drinks / food for watching games? Specifically CCGs or Playoffs?

Why can't former Saban assistants beat him?

Should there be a commissioner type position that is in effect a for life appt and should they govern power 5 cfb and playoff committee?

If Urbs hits a Clemson LB with a papa johns pizza wpuld anyone care?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Marcus Marshall is transferring from Georgia Tech. He's the younger brother of former UGA RB, Keith Marshall, and had a good season for the Jackets this year.

Rumor is he didn't like the school as a whole.

Wish the kid well. He played hard for us.

GT as an academic institution isn't for everybody.

andycapps

Rumor is he didn't like the school as a whole.

Wish the kid well. He played hard for us.

GT as an academic institution isn't for everybody.
If you're not going to be an engineer, it's probably not the school for you. Think his other finalists coming from highschool were Vandy and Wake so maybe he'll end up at one of those two places.

Meier

Brian Kelly to Oregon would make sense. There is no way he has a future at Notre Dame especially after they had to vacate the decent season they had. His tenure there has been a dumpster fire.

Holy shit, he signed a 6 year extension last season? What were they thinking?

ryseing

Oregon should just hire Scott Frost. Because hiring a former OC with minimal HC experience worked incredibly well last time around.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
Brian Kelly to Oregon would make sense. There is no way he has a future at Notre Dame especially after they had to vacate the decent season they had. His tenure there has been a dumpster fire.

Holy shit, he signed a 6 year extension last season? What were they thinking?
Unless ND has an out, he'd be stupid to leave for Oregon with 6 a 6 year buyout if the shitcan him.

andycapps

Unless ND has an out, he'd be stupid to leave for Oregon with 6 a 6 year buyout if the shitcan him.
Well he is exploring other opportunities supposedly. I don't know why he'd leave on his own with a huge buyout there if they did fire him eventually. Unless he can get more money and have a better opportunity now.

mre

Why does Bama-GAF keep underselling itself? If you are being serious mre (which I can never tell sometimes)

the average margin of victory for Bama has been 28 points.. with the exceptions of Ole Miss and LSU, you have handled every opponent with absolute ease.

Just because the SEC is having a down year does not mean Bama blows..
Nobody is saying "Bama blows." With the criteria that the committee seems to be applying, though, there is a very strong argument that Bama is not one of the best 4 teams in the nation. If conference championships don't mean anything (Ohio State), going undefeated doesn't mean anything (Western Michigan), wins/losses don't mean anything (UM at 10-2 potentially getting in over 11-2 Clemson or Washington), then all you're really left with is the "eye test" and comparing how teams are playing now. Sure, Bama may not have had "trouble" with most teams on their schedule, but they struggled with two shit teams as you posted, giving up more points to Mississippi than almost every other team Mississippi played. If you want to look at recent games, Bama struggled offensively with both Auburn and Chattanooga (an FCS school!).

If you want to look at schools that are hot NOW, you have to look at OSU (5 straight wins, with 2 of those being over top 10 teams), Penn State (8 straight wins, with one of those wins being over #2 tOSU), USC (8 straight wins, including wins over top 10 Colorado and Washington), Oklahoma (8 straight dominating wins, including wins over top-15 WVU), Wisconsin (6 straight wins, including a win over a top-10 team) and Colorado (6 straight wins, including multiple wins over top-25 teams).

Bama's resume just doesn't stack up if we're ignoring or discounting those factors i mentioned. They're struggling with inferior opponents and benefiting from the SEC being way down. They're best win is inarguably USC, and that win is irrelevant because USC was a completely different team than it is now. It just seems like the committee is saying some factors are important while others are not, but then tossing all of that out of the window just because Bama is undefeated.

Nobody is saying "Bama blows." With the criteria that the committee seems to be applying, though, there is a very strong argument that Bama is not one of the best 4 teams in the nation. If conference championships don't mean anything (Ohio State), going undefeated doesn't mean anything (Western Michigan), wins/losses don't mean anything (UM at 10-2 potentially getting in over 11-2 Clemson or Washington), then all you're really left with is the "eye test" and comparing how teams are playing now. Sure, Bama may not have had "trouble" with most teams on their schedule, but they struggled with two shit teams as you posted, giving up more points to Mississippi than almost every other team Mississippi played. If you want to look at recent games, Bama struggled offensively with both Auburn and Chattanooga (an FCS school!).

If you want to look at schools that are hot NOW, you have to look at OSU (5 straight wins, with 2 of those being over top 10 teams), Penn State (8 straight wins, with one of those wins being over #2 tOSU), USC (8 straight wins, including wins over top 10 Colorado and Washington), Oklahoma (8 straight dominating wins, including wins over top-15 WVU), Wisconsin (6 straight wins, including a win over a top-10 team) and Colorado (6 straight wins, including multiple wins over top-25 teams).

Bama's resume just doesn't stack up if we're ignoring or discounting those factors i mentioned. They're struggling with inferior opponents and benefiting from the SEC being way down. They're best win is inarguably USC, and that win is irrelevant because USC was a completely different team than it is now. It just seems like the committee is saying some factors are important while others are not, but then tossing all of that out of the window just because Bama is undefeated.

lol wut

Looks like Myles Brennan decommitted from LSU. Yikes.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
lol wut

Looks like Myles Brennan decommitted from LSU. Yikes.

Now's their one chance to talk to Tua before the dead period, which ends after he early enrolls "somewhere"

;)

mre has a bit of a point, though I don't care how "different" USCw has become, that win still matters and would happen again (cause hey, Alabama's Offense has improved from that game).

OSUn will get in, but they really should only get in if PSU loses, or if PSU is also in the playoffs. Cause currently it looks like they feel a loss to a ranked OOC opponent is > than Head 2 Head and Conference titles.

@MerrimanTweets 23m23 minutes ago
Notre Dame has BLOCKED Malik Zaire from transferring to Michigan State, as the Spartans' play the Irish in 2017

such a chicken shit thing when schools do this

mre

For what it's worth, noted CFP guru Heather Dinich agrees with me:

https://twitter.com/finebaum/status/804016053793751040 said:
"Their best win is against USC...when you look at their resume, who did they beat?"

@CFBHeather on Alabama

So more Browning news..

Ohio State will be having an inhome visit at 6.. 3-4 coaches will be there.. including Urban and Bama's LB coach will meet with him after talking with Ohio State. Saban will be meeting with him next week supposedly even with Browning supposedly announcing his decision tomorrow.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Houston bankroller Tillman Fertitta does a radio interview.

On Big XII expansion -

"You know when I knew we were in trouble?" Fertitta said. "There were three [university] presidents who were on the [Big 12 expansion] committee and when we went to the interview, they weren't even part of the interview process. I walked out of that meeting and said 'Wow, this is a sham. There's no intention of doing anything.'

"It was one of the great shams in college football, and college athletics, and just college period. ... It was a total sham and I sit here today and I laugh at the Big 12 and their leadership."

On Art Briles -
When asked about whether he would hire Art Briles, who was fired earlier this year amid the sexual assault scandal at Baylor, Fertitta said, "I wish that we could get more clarity on what has happened out there [at Baylor]."

There are a lot of Baylor supporters in this city and people that are very close to the university ... [former Baylor president] Ken Starr, the [former] athletic director [Ian McCaw], lots of senior people and senior alumni, regents at Baylor, have said 'If you will meet with us, we will talk to you about the coach and we will give you clarity of how much he didn't know.'

"Do I think that Briles got a bad rap to some degree? Obviously he did. But at the same time, you're the boss, and there was an issue there. So there's an issue. Does everybody deserve to be forgiven? Yes. There's a lot of controversy surrounding him. I think he's a great football coach, and we'll just have to see where it goes from here."

So more Browning news..

Ohio State will be having an inhome visit at 6.. 3-4 coaches will be there.. including Urban and Bama's LB coach will meet with him after talking with Ohio State. Saban will be meeting with him next week supposedly even with Browning supposedly announcing his decision tomorrow.

Wow so tOSU not having to play a champ game this week is really paying dividends. While the other top teams are preparing for the make or break champ games, they can sit back and snag some recruits while they await their playoff selection

Top Bottom