• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Backlog Blitz - We may stumble and fall but shall rise again

rdytoroll

Finished my first game of the year and my first +1: Oxenfree. It didn't really grab me and I got a bit tired of all the backtracking, but it's a neat game with a pretty cool ending. Not a bad start into the year

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I guess it may vary person to person, but if I retire a game, I prefer to leave it as 0 (like you said, a reminder of a bad purchase), and save the +1's for games I actually finished. Otherwise I feel like it would be too easy to retire a bunch of games just get back in the positive. The yearly refresh helps mitigate this a bit as well.

Personally, I never really count games from PS+ or Xbox Live as part of my backlog. If I do happen to beat those games, I do add them to the log as bought and completed, but at that point it's a wash in terms of score (+1/-1). I do count games from Humble Bundles though, as I do see those as being "purchased." The handful of games I get from those are most likely to be the kind I end up retiring.

Overall, I think the rules are pretty gray around those items, so it's more of an honor system and just being truthful with yourself.

Thanks!

I'll go with zeroes for things I abandon and just treat PS+ and other freebies I install as bought games as I only grab ones I truly want to play and was considering buying when the price was right.

nateify

I beat an astronomical 40 games last year, though I didn't keep up with thread updates. I probably won't post any here either, I only really care to continuously update it on HowLongToBeat.com.

I think I might rank up there with a large remaining backlog at 106, but I actually have an even larger pseudo-backlog of games I know I want to play but don't own. Since I haven't purchased them yet I don't count them against me on my true backlog.

RPGs will be the death of me.

MikeyB

I better get on this.

Super Time Force Ultra done already and well into MGR: Revengeance and Spec Ops: the Line.

Edit: but it is not going to help that my current favorite titles seem to be roguelikes.

stn

Hm, let's see...

XBox One
Mafia III
The Elder Scrolls Online
Forza Horizon 3
Gears Of War 4
Fallout 4
Dishonored 2

XBox 360
Forza Motorsport 3
Resident Evil 6

N3DS
Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
Pokemon Sun

Dreamcast
Shenmue

PS3
Demon's Souls

Not too shabby. Currently playing Mafia III, and Forza Horizon 3. Then, Dishonored 2.

I feel like jumping on this train this year as I want to keep my library of games down and actually play some of this library I've built up over the years. First thing I'm doing is going through some WiiU games I want to see before boxing up the system.

I have a feeling I will end up retiring more games than completing them and that's fine by me. I usually finish around 15-20 games a year, but buy three times that many. =( . My goal is to reverse that this year and play much more than I buy.

Purchased:0

Completed:1

Total: +1

Retired:1

Games of 2017

Super Mario 3D World - Retired January 2

Got to the final castle to see myself 34 stars short to unlock it. Felt pretty deflated at seeing that as I have no intention of going back and replaying roughly 30 levels just to find stars. Twenty years ago I had no problem doing every single thing in Mario 64 after getting an N64 for Christmas. But that was in 1996/1997 when Mario 64 was the only new game I had and had no no backlog then. Now in 2017 with a library around 100+ games to try out, playing a Mario game to hunt for stars is not something I have any interest in doing.

Quantum Break - Completed 3-Jan

The award for 2016's Most Superfluous Narrative goes to Quantum Break. This game is part 3D person shooter, part TV show, and part Japanese visual novel. I liked Remedy when they made Max Payne games, since then I have not really cared for them. As a shooter it was OK. As a TV show is was a cheap Fringe knock-off. As a visual novel it was...zzzzzzzzzzz. I don't thin I've ever seen more emails, memos, notes, radio logs, video logs, charts/graphs, white-boards expressing narrative in any other game. There's more junk to read in this game than the Dragon Age origin codex. Holy shit. Really long email chains, and all this background crap for secondary characters. I only read the first few but they just kept popping up all over the damn game.

Smilax

MAIN POST

With January being so fast, here is looking at a much slower February.

Smilax's Gamedeed
-------------------------------------
JANUARY 2017

End of January Report

End of January Stats: Purchased (-2) Finished (+23) Retired (1) Backlog (63) Total Points (+21)
FEBRUARY 2017

End of February Report

End of February Stats: Purchased (0) Finished (+7) Retired (1) Backlog (56) Total Points (+28)
MARCH 2017

A. Purchased (0):

B. Finished (+1):

March 16, 2017:
Fallout New Vegas (PC)

C. Retired (0):

Current Score +1
Current Backlog: 55
Total Purchased : -2
Total Finished: +30
Total Retired: 2
Total Score : +28
Total Backlog: 55

jadjei

No, you basically just joined by posting here. Welcome. :)

Cool thanks.

Okay so I'm going to try and complete:

Nintendo 3DS:

Shin megami tensei: Devil Survivior Overclock
LOZ: Ocarina of Time
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

PS Vita:
Samurai Warrior 4
Digimon Cyber Sleuth
Borderlands 2

Qdor

Neo Member
Games purchased:

Games finished:

Current Score:

Currently playing: Pokémon Moon, Tales from the Borderlands, Breath of Fire

Working in game retail makes it hard to not buy/acquire way to many games. I think I tried this last year but fell off quickly. Here's to hoping 2017 goes better!

DBT85

Think I'll tag along for the first time. Deliberately didn't buy Uncharted 4 & Tomb Raider for £22 each while in the PSN sale, and The Witness on Steam for £15 purely because of the amount of games I have already when I know I won't get around to playing them yet.

Will also have a lot more free time on my hands this year than last (just one room left to decorate etc after 11 in the last 15 months) so hopefully I can get my game on!

Will have to see how I deal with things like Stellaris, Hearts of Iron 4 & Motorsport Manager. Maybe setting a target for each for me to be satisfied at "completion" for such a game.

My Backloggery!

Games purchased:

Games finished: Ratchet & Clank (PS4), Journey (PS4), Uncharted 1 Remaster (PS4)

Current Score: 3

Currently playing:
Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void

Random Notes:
R&C was my first look at the series and I loved it. Played through 3 times. Saw the credits twice in one day.
Journey was great. I had no idea wtf was happening but I still wanted to play! Much less of a pain getting around in the white outfit.
Uncharted felt like a chore toward the end, maybe because I die a lot, maybe because of the dead Spaniards (not a fan). Won't be doing a replay.

Teggy

I'll jump in on this - I've been trying to cut back on bundle purchases and play some of the games I have.

Games Purchased: 32
January:
Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
February:
Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
March:
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS)
Nier: Automata (PC)
Styx: Shards of Darkness (PC)
Kingdom Hearts Final Mix (PS4)
Kingdom Hearts RE:Chain of Memories (PS4)
April:
Voodoo Vince: Remastered (PC)
What Remains of Edith Finch (PC)
May:
TY the Tasmanian Tiger (PC)
Prey (2017) (PC)
June:
Metroid Zero Mission (Wii U)
Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero (NS)
Resident Evil VII (PC)
Snake Pass (NS)
The Sexy Brutale (PC)
Cosmic Star Heroine (PC)
Little Nightmares (PC)
July:
Kamiko (NS)
Splatoon 2 (NS)
August
Cat Quest (PC)
Disgaea DS (3DS)
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC)
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
Everybody's Golf (PS4)
Mario and Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (NS)
September
Destiny 2 (XBOXONE)
Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)
Life is Strange: Before the Storm (PC)
Tacoma (PC)
Get Even (PC)
Golf Story (NS)

Games Finished: 37

January:
Gravity Rush (Vita)
Tormentum - Dark Sorrow (MAC)
Kirby: Planet Robobot (3DS)
Steamworld Heist (3DS)
Shovel Knight (3DS)
Shadowrun Returns (MAC)
Resident Evil Revelations (PC)
February:
Resident Evil 6 (PC)
Dino Crisis (PSVITA)
Nier (360)
Wolfenstein (360)
March:
Hollow Knight (PC)
Nier: Automata (PC)
Styx: Shards of Darkness (PC)
April:
Kingdom Hearts Final Mix (PS4)
Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
May:
What Remains of Edith Finch (PC)
June:
Prey (2006) (PC)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (iOS)
Mark of Kri (PS4)
I Love You To Bits (iOS)
Metroid Zero Mission (Wii U)
Shantae: 1/2 Genie Hero (NS)
Prey (2017) (PC)
Resident Evil VII (PC)
July
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (XBOXONE)
Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry (PC)
Kamiko (NS)
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (3DS)
August
Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies (3DS)
Layers of Fear (XBOXONE)
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
September
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC)
Ys: Memories of Celceta (PSVITA)
Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)
Destiny 2 (XBOXONE)
October
Cat Quest (PC)

Current Score: +5

Currently Playing:
Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U)
Golf Story (NS)

Games Retired:
Boxboy (3DS)
Pushmo (3DS)
Bleed (PC)
Steins;Gate (Vita)
Bravely Default (3DS)
Of Orcs And Men (PC)
Brandish (PSVITA)
Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir (PSVITA)
Super Metroid (3DS)
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS)

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I have a feeling I will end up retiring more games than completing them and that's fine by me.

Nothing wrong with that!

I'm sure I'll be the same as my approach as any of the 46 games that started 2017 in my backlog that don't get completed this year will be retired.

Honestly, there's not much left in there that I'm dying to play. Mostly just impulse buys as they were super cheap and I'd rather focus on newer games. I already made a huge dent on the "must place" and "bought at $30 or more and need to play them" games last year.

This year is just play or retire the rest, while only buying new games to play that day and no new purchase until I'm done with that game, along with limiting purchases overall to chip away at what I do still want to play in the current backlog.

Then 2018 is purely new games, one purchase/play at a time. :D

Kirie

Guess I'll post my January post since I decided on what game to start with. DQ7! Enjoying it a bunch so far, even though I'm only at around 12ish hours in. Would really like to try and get it finished before Tales of Berseria comes out since I'm planning on getting it :)

Main Post

Bought:(-6)
-Orwell ($10)
-The Forest ($10)

(Humble Bundle $10, gave away rest of keys)
-Pony Island
-Day of the Tentacle Remastered
-VA-11 Hall-A

-Tales of Berseria ($60)

Completed:(+12)
-Orwell
-A Foretold Affair
-Hustle Cat
-Princess Maker 2
-Pony Island
-The Forest
-Day of the Tentacle Remastered
-VA-11 Hall-A
-Cinders
-1931: Scheherazade
-X-Note
-Harvest Moon - Skytree Village

Current Score: 12-6= +6

Preorders:
February 28th - Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns (3DS)
February 28th - Torment: Tides of Numenera (PC)
March 7th - Nier: Automata (PS4)
March 21st - Mass Effect: Andromeda (PS4)
April 4th - Persona 5 (PS4)
April 11th - Yooka Laylee (PS4)
May 19th - Fire Emblem Echoes
TBD: Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
TBD: Detroit
TBD: South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Removed: FF Type 0. Sold it off. Just really have no inclination to spend my time on it.

Feeroper

Well, I tried this once before but couldn't keep up with it back in 2014. This year I'm going to give another shot. I know Ill still be purchasing a lot, but the focus will be on completing as much as possible as well. I'm not going to be as concerned about getting into the + as it likely wont happen, but instead Ill use this as incentive to actually complete games all the way through.

Purchased in 2017: 0
Completed in 2017: 0
Current Score: 0 (clean slate)

January
Games Purchased:
Nothing

Games Completed:
Nothing

Currently Playing:
Final Fantasy XV
Pokémon Sun
Uncharted 4
The Last Guardian
Gears of War 4
Skyrim: Special Edition
Dragon Quest 7

Danielsan

I've updated my Backloggery page with all the games I got over the course of 2016.
I was wondering. What do you guys do with games that can't really be finished? Games like Overwatch, DOTA 2, etc.. Do you set the game to null?

Spyware

I've updated my Backloggery page with all the games I got over the course of 2016.
I was wondering. What do you guys do with games that can't really be finished? Games like Overwatch, DOTA 2, etc.. Do you set the game to null?
Depends on the type of game.
I don't play games in those specific genres and I dislike MP, but generally for "unbeatable" games I check if there is something I can set up as a personal goal that I want to do. In Sims that could be a so called Legacy challenge for example.
In MP games there is usually a rank/rating or so, right? That could be a goal I guess?

If I don't feel like aiming for something I use null since I don't consider it a part of the backlog then :)

Smilax

Retire them into the MP category for me. I bought these games just to play with friends not finish them, unless of course it has a campagin (Battlefield, CoD, Fighting games). Of course if none of my friends have the game, i'll play it for 10 hours and then retire it.

marcincz

Maybe this year will be better, than previous for me.
Let's start.

My backloggery

Bought: 1
1. Dead Space (PS3) - 02/01/2017 *rebuy
2. Virginia (PS4) - 02/01/2017

Beaten: 1
1. Mirror's Edge Catalyst (PS4) - 02/01/2017

Score: 0

Currently playing:
Virginia (PS4)

DBT85

While I don;t have any of those game in particular, I'll set myself some goals in the games I do have.

So in Motorsport Manager as just one example. I want to win the top division with the crappiest team in the 3rd division. Once that's done I'll mark it as complete. I'll do something similar for Stellaris and HOI IV.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I'll count them as a plus 1 here and as unfinished on backloggery until I've basically had my fill of them. i.e. that I played enough that I got my moneys worth or I reached whatever goal I had, then I switch it to finished. If I end up not liking it and not playing it very much it will get a zero here and set to null on backloggery to remove it from the backlog but not increase my score here or beaten count there.

gaiages

Banned

Everyone has different ideas (obviously), but I just set them to Null.

Apparently Backloggery will have an update that will help differentiate between MP games or... something I guess, but the development cycle for that website update will probably end up rivaling The Last Guardian's...

mshlive

I'm going to give this another shot after trying and failing on a few years, worse case scenario I'll complete a few games anyways.

Currently Playing:-
Forza Horizon 3 (Xbox One)
Inside (Xbox One)
Overwatch (Xbox One)

I'm trying to approach it a little differently. First of all, I'm not someone who can have a lot of games on the go at once so I'm sticking with one meatier title, one shorter title for the intstant gratification to keep me hooked plus one multiplayer title that I play with friends.

Ive basically made a list of the games I would like to finish, which is approximately 50 titles across the PS4 and Xbox One so even if I get half of them done and reduce my spending I'll be happy.

I'm back in for another year. Currently going through the back-half of the Hitman episodes, and also just added SUPERHOT to the backlog list.

My 2017 backlog goals, at a minimum:

- Fallout: New Vegas
- Dark Souls II
- Thief II
- Far Cry 2
- P.T.

With my backlog down to under 20 games total, I should be able to do those while still finding time for all of the new games coming this year. And hopefully do even more than that.

gaiages

Banned
Okay, let's begin.

I wonder, is it weird to want to add my fellow Blitzers on my Backloggery multitap? I always feel like a creeper when thinking about adding people >.>

Aaaaaaaaaanyway

January Update
Main Post
3 in January Post
Weekly Gaming Update #1
Weekly Gaming Update #2
Weekly Gaming Update #3
Weekly Gaming Update #4

Bought (-)
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II
Xenoblade Chronicles
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

This Month's Bought Total: 4

Beat (+)
Life is Strange Episode 2 - Out of Time
Life is Strange Episode 3 - Chaos Theory
One Way Heroics
Always Sometimes Monsters
Life is Strange Episode 4 - Dark Room
Life is Strange Episode 5 - Polarized
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD
Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest
Crypt of the Necrodancer

This Month's Beat Total: 9

January Backlog Total: 9-4=+5

Removed (Net 0)
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked
Hammerwatch

This Month's Removed Total: 2

Other info

Pre-orders:
Persona 5
Puyo Puyo Tetris

Freebies:
Nothing, yet

Backlog notes (that don't count towards the total):
Devil Survivor Overclocked - I don't see myself finishing this when Devil Survivor 2 is so, so much better. However, my boyfriend wanted to play it, so I gave it to him.
Hammerwatch - It's a chore and somewhat boring to play in single player, and I have no one to play it in multiplayer with (which I'm not sure will even be fun). So, removed from the backlog.
Dragon Quest VIII - Played the PS2 version, and put over 100 hours into it, so Net 0 and collection purposes only for this 3DS release.

I'll join this year, since it is the year that I have most playing time.

Finished Games

- FFXV (PS4) (1/2/17)
- Gigawing (Arcade) (1/2/17)

score = +2

New Games

Currently Playing

- Ace Attorney 5 (iOS)
- SD Gundam G Generation Genesis (PS4)

Valahart

I'm in!

Finished

- January

LIMBO
Furi
LOVE
Pony Island
Dishonored

- February

Broforce
Portal 2
Poi

Bought

- January

Mekazoo
Dishonored - Definitive Edition
Mother Russia Bleeds

- February

SteamWorld Heist
SuperHOT

Score: +3

dougalism

Neo Member
I'm in again. There is no way I'll be able to match last year as I'm allowing myself to buy new games again but hopefully I can still manage to chip away at the old backlog a little more.

My Backloggery Feel free to add me :)

Bought in 2017:

1. Dead or Alive 2 (PS2) - 20/1
2. PaRappa the Rapper 2 (PS4) - 22/1
3. King of Fighters 2000 (PS4) - 25/1
4. Gone Home: Console Edition (PS4) - 29/1
5. Star Wars: Racers Revenge (PS2Classics) - 21/2
6. Blues & Bullets: Episode 1+2 (PS4) -28/2
7. Asura's Wrath: Part IV + Lost episode 1 + 2 (PS3) - 2/3
8. Starwhal (PS4) 2/3
9. Yakuza 0 (PS4) - 11/5
10. Steins;Gate Zero (VITA) - 20/7
11. Yakuza Kiwami (PS4) - 3/10

Finished in 2017:
1. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD ReMix (PS3) - 4/1
2. Mad Maestro (PS2) - 4/1
3. Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo HD ReMix (PS3) - 5/1
4. Woah Dave (PS4) - 6/1
5. Jumping Flash (PSOne Classics) - 6/1
6. La Noire: Complete Edition (PS3) - 20/1
7. International Track & Field (PSOne Classics) - 20/1
8. Omega Boost (PS1) - 21/1
9. Dead or Alive 2 (PS2) - 22/1
10. Entwined (PS4) - 22/1
11. Parappa the Rapper 2 (PS2 Classics) - 23/1
12. Divekick (VITA) - 25/1
13. King Of Fighters 2000 (PS2 Classics) - 27/1
14. Bishi Bashi Special (PSOne Classics) - 28/1
15. Surge Deluxe (VITA) - 29/1
16. Gone Home: Console Edition (PS4) - 30/1
17. Mass Effect (PS3) - 13/2
18. Star Wars: Racers Revenge (PS2Classics) - 21/2
19. Streets of Rage 2 (PS3) - 22/2
20. Titan Attacks (PS4) - 23/2
21. Blues & Bullets: Episode 1+2 (PS4) - 1/3
22. Dyad (PS3) - 2/3
23. Asura's Wrath: Part IV + Lost episode 1 + 2 (PS3) - 2/3
24. Starwhal (PS4) - 5/3
25. Sine Mora (VITA) - 6/3
26. Broken Age (PS4) - 14/3
27. Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love (PS2) - 24/3
28. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD (PS3) - 1/4
29. Disgaea 3: Absence of Justice (PS3) - 4/5
30. Medievil Resurrection (PSP) - 10/5
31. Yakuza 0 (PS4) - 30/6
32. Ether One PS4) - 3/7
33. Under Defeat HD: Deluxe Edition (PS3) - 4/7
34. The Vanishing of Ethan carter (PS4) - 6/7
35. Rayman Legends (PS4) - 18/7
36. BioShock: challenge Rooms (PS3) - 19/7
37. Steins;Gate Zero (VITA) - 5/9
38. Enter The Matrix (PS2) - 5/9
39. King of Fighters '99 (PSOne Classics) - 6/9
40. Broken Sword 3 - The Sleeping Dragon (PS2) - 9/9
41. Dead Space (PS3) - 18/9
42. Oni (PS2) - 21/9
43. Smash Court Tennis: Pro Tournament 2 (PS2) - 26/9
44. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3) - 3/10
45. Dissidia 012: Duodecim (PSP) - 16/10
46. KickBeat (VITA) - 20/10

Total Score: +35

watdaeff4

I'm in again. Looks like I'm comfortably leading the wall of shame from last year
more than okay with it though considering the circumstances

This year will be interesting as my wife and I will be having our third child in August.

Bought in 2017:

Finished in 2017
Resogun

2017 Score to date: +1
Wanted to get this in as it may be the only time I'm positive all year lol

Currently playing:
NBA2k17
Dishonored
Fallout 3

DBT85

I actually beat a game! My Nintendo Picross - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

My score is currently at 0.

Me too! Ratchet & Clank. Great game. Already started through again. Looks incredible at 4kHDR.

Are replays considered a +1? Because technically they're not in my backlog of unfinished games
You mean like a remaster of a game you played already? Or a replay of a a game you already saw the end of?

Spyware

Are replays considered a +1? Because technically they're not in my backlog of unfinished games
I only count games that change status.
Example:
I play through The Witcher once - it gives me a +1 because it goes from unfinished to beaten.
I beat it a second time - nothing changes.
I play the third and last "path", finally feeling done with the game - it gives me a +1 as it goes from beaten to completed*.

*If it's been at least a year between the first and the last playthrough. If I go for completion immediately, it only counts once.

I have never replayed a game I've marked as completed, but if I ever do I would not count it for the blitz. This is about beating the backlog after all, and a completed game is not in the backlog as you said.
I would count it as a beaten game for the 52 challenge tho. :)

rdytoroll

Personally I am counting replays and rebuys as 0.

You mean like a remaster of a game you played already? Or a replay of a a game you already saw the end of?

I only count games that change status.
Example:
I play through The Witcher once - it gives me a +1 because it goes from unfinished to beaten.
I beat it a second time - nothing changes.
I play the third and last "path", finally feeling done with the game - it gives me a +1 as it goes from beaten to completed*.

*If it's been at least a year between the first and the last playthrough. If I go for completion immediately, it only counts once.

I have never replayed a game I've marked as completed, but if I ever do I would not count it for the blitz. This is about beating the backlog after all, and a completed game is not in the backlog as you said.
I would count it as a beaten game for the 52 challenge tho. :)

Yeah, you guys are right. I was thinking about stuff like Mass Effect, which would just be another playthrough. I'm probably going to count it as a 0, if I'm going to count it at all then

DBT85

Yeah, you guys are right. I was thinking about stuff like Mass Effect, which would just be another playthrough. I'm probably going to count it as a 0, if I'm going to count it at all then

I'll be counting first plays of remasters even if I've played the original as I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't want to play again. I won't be counting replays of games I've already seen the credits of though.

So Homeworld Remastered I'll be counting as I've not played through that yet, despite finishing the originals all those years ago. Mass Effect 1 or KOTOR etc I wouldn't as it would literally be the same game I played already.

Qwark

I'm in. 2017 is hopefully going to be a year of saving money and playing old games. Only games I plan to buy new is Digimon World and Crash Trilogy.

Currently trying to get through:

Last Guardian
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
Dark Cloud

Danielsan

Depends on the type of game.
I don't play games in those specific genres and I dislike MP, but generally for "unbeatable" games I check if there is something I can set up as a personal goal that I want to do. In Sims that could be a so called Legacy challenge for example.
In MP games there is usually a rank/rating or so, right? That could be a goal I guess?

If I don't feel like aiming for something I use null since I don't consider it a part of the backlog then :)

Retire them into the MP category for me. I bought these games just to play with friends not finish them, unless of course it has a campagin (Battlefield, CoD, Fighting games). Of course if none of my friends have the game, i'll play it for 10 hours and then retire it.

While I don;t have any of those game in particular, I'll set myself some goals in the games I do have.

So in Motorsport Manager as just one example. I want to win the top division with the crappiest team in the 3rd division. Once that's done I'll mark it as complete. I'll do something similar for Stellaris and HOI IV.

I'll count them as a plus 1 here and as unfinished on backloggery until I've basically had my fill of them. i.e. that I played enough that I got my moneys worth or I reached whatever goal I had, then I switch it to finished. If I end up not liking it and not playing it very much it will get a zero here and set to null on backloggery to remove it from the backlog but not increase my score here or beaten count there.

Everyone has different ideas (obviously), but I just set them to Null.

Apparently Backloggery will have an update that will help differentiate between MP games or... something I guess, but the development cycle for that website update will probably end up rivaling The Last Guardian's...
Thanks for the input guys. I think I will just set them to unfinished until I've gotten my fill or have reach an arbitrary goal. I'll probably set a rank goal for Overwatch for instance.

Pretty impressed with my +10 last year. I'd love to get anywhere near that this year as I know my gaming time has dropped. Hopefully I've started to change my buying habit, (or at least to stay away from so many RPG's)

Month so far:

Bought 3 - CoD: Infinite Warfare, Homefront The Revolution and Mafia 3

Completed - Steamworld Dig

(Very Late) EDIT: I've retired Homefront already, that game is horrific. I stupidly gave it a pass based on enjoying the original but it's garbage.

Progress

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Changed my mind, I'm out. Feeling too much like a chore after playing through the couple things in my backlog I actually wanted to play. Too much mediocre stuff, older games that I just don't want to play vs. newer stuff etc. I was getting to much into that "getting sick of games as I'm forcing myself to play stuff" mode.

I'm just going to write it all off (only around 40 games not counting a handful rebought that I beat in the past, all cheap or free) other than maybe dabbling with something here and there in droughts between new releases.

So I'm going to just reset myself to zero and be religious about only buying one game at a time and buying nothing else until I'm done with that (be it beating it, getting my fill or abandoning it). I'm also going to be MUCH more selective in what I buy and try to buy and play fewer games going forward. Definitely getting nothing until 2/28 with Horizon if it turns out well. My main gaming New Year's resolution was to buy and play less and really focus in on the 10ish games a year I truly want to get lost in.

I have plenty of never ending racing (especially these as my expensive wheel setup is underused), fighting, MP games to fill the gaps between the new releases I truly want to play. I'd rather give some stuff like Overwatch, Forza Horizon 3 and Street Fighter V more attention, as well as some pick up and play indies/roguelikes/pacman games etc. I need to spend more time with, than slogging through stuff in my backlog that's mostly last gen or prior games I didn't care enough about to get to back then and bought cheap in steam or psn sales.

Goodluck to all continuing with the backlog reduction endeavor!

Qwark

Do you guys count games that you get from monthly promotional things, such as Humble, PS+, and Games With Gold in your backlog? It seems kind of unfair to count games that you had no choice in selecting. I think with mine I'm only going to count the ones that I would actually be interested in, and not the ones that I'm redeeming just because they're free*. Still, might make this difficult.

Do you guys count games that you get from monthly promotional things, such as Humble, PS+, and Games With Gold in your backlog?
I count my monthly PS+ freebies as -1s. If I don't like a game I will simply mark it as "removed from backlog" and give myself a +1. This motivates me to at least give all the freebies a try.

Top Bottom