• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2017 Backlog Blitz - We may stumble and fall but shall rise again

watdaeff4

Ok - first real post for the month/year:

Going through some short and sweet games to build momentum.

Beaten:
Resogun
Dishonored Definitive Edition
Street Fighter Alpha 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Max Payne
Altered Beast
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Titanfall 2
Killer Instinct (XB1 version reboot) Season 2

Score: +9

Bought:
Rogue Galaxy
Persona 2
Halo: Reach

Score: -3

Overall 2017 score to date: +6

With all the great games coming out the first half of the year and most of my "cherry-picking" of shorter games done in my backlog, it's going to get a lot tougher here on out.

This is right up my alley! Promised my wife I'd clean out the backlog this year...

Bought: 9
Beaten: 22

Score: +13

January: -2
Beat:
1/24: Pokemon Yellow

Bought:
1/22: Superhot
1/31: Damn it, Shovel Knight PS4 and Starcraft 2 were on the clearance table at Walmart!!! $7 for SK, $9 for SC2. Couldn't pass it up, but...

Feb: +6
Beat:
2/8: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire.
2/19: The Witcher 3
2/20: Kirby's Epic Yarn
2/23: Yoshi's Woolly World
2/25: Bayonetta 2
2/28: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

March: +3
Beat:+7
3/8: Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
3/9: Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
3/13: Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
3/20: Chrono Trigger
3/22: Elite Beat Agents
3/29: 999
3/30: Steel Diver

Bought: -4
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Bomberman R
Snipperclips
Fast Racing RMX

April+3
Beat: +4
4/14 Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
4/19 Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
4/19 Aliens: Colonial Marines
4/20 Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright

Bought: -1
Puyo Puyo Tetris

May +3
Beat: +4
5/15: Sunset Overdrive
5/16: Godzilla (PS4)
5/18: Ratchet and Clank (PS4)
5/28: Tearaway Unfolded

Bought: -1
5/19: Thumper

Continued here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=240276261&postcount=328

Feeroper

Purchased in 2017: 7
Completed in 2017: 0
Current Score: -7

January
Games Purchased:
Gravity Rush 2
Dragon Quest VIII
Resident Evil VII
Yakuza 0
Kingdom Hearts 2.8
Tales of Berseria
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge

Games Completed:
Nothing

Currently Playing:
Final Fantasy XV
Resident Evil VII
Pokémon Sun
Uncharted 4
The Last Guardian
Gears of War 4
Skyrim: Special Edition
Dragon Quest 7

No progress this month. I have too many games on the go presently, and have probably spread myself too thin. Ah well. Next Month Nioh and Horizon will probably take over my life, and then Zelda in March....

jadjei

Update so the PSN essential just came along too lol >_> At least I beat a game two days ago.

January:

Bought:
Castlevania IV: SOTN (-1)
Steamworld Dig (-1)
Child of light (-1)
Breath of Fire IV (-1)
Injustice: Gods Amongs Us Ultimate Edition (-1)
Ace Attorney Trilogy (-3)
Ys: Memories of Celecta (-1)
The Legends of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (-1)

Beaten:

January:
Ace Attorney (+1)

Overall Points: -8

Aaand I didn't stay even... :/ Nights of Azure was super cheap and I've been curious how it dealt with its issues for a while, so I decided to pick it up. I hope to god it's not cringey. On the bright side, I avoided most of the insane January rush, I really want RE7 and Yakuza 0 but I'll pick them up when I can actually play them.

Otherwise, I finished Steins;Gate and RTK13 this month. Steins;Gate is a fantastic visual novel, though its pretty cringey at times and the localisation has issues. RTK13 is a really fun strategy game, I love that they brought back the RTK8/10 RPG style gameplay, though it too has localisation issues ("Gan Ning of Free"!) and god awful AI on top of that.

And now I'm playing Gravity Rush 2. It's incredible.

January Update:

Backloggery

Currently Playing:
  • Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)

January Bought:
  1. Steins;Gate 0 (PSV) - 18/01/17
  2. Gravity Rush 2 (PS4) - 27/01/17
  3. Nights of Azure (PS4) - 27/01/17

January Beaten:
  1. Steins;Gate (PSV) - 17/01/17
  2. Romance of the Three Kingdoms XIII (PS4) - 27/01/17

Bought in January 2017: 3
Beaten in January 2017: 2

Bought in 2017: 3
Beaten in 2017: 2
Removed in 2017: 0
Score: -1

gaiages

Banned
This is my end of month/February post. It's a few days early, but I'm flat out not planning on beating anymore games this month, I'm putting my remaining game time for the month into chipping away a bit at Witcher 3. :)

January Update
This Month's Bought Total: 4
This Month's Beat Total: 9
This Month's Removed Total: 2
January Backlog Total: 9-4=+5

A good start! The only games I bought were due to either MyNintendo discounts, and a general worry for rarity of the PS3 Trails of Cold Steel games. I didn't go on a massive beating spree, but I did clear out two longer games in Twilight Princess and Conquest, and played a couple shorter games in the process. I don't have any plans to buy games in February either, so hopefully progress will be smooth then too.

Oh, and I have three '2017 gaming goals', so here's the progress on that:
Beat Legend of Zelda games: 1/4
Beat MGS games: 0/4
Beat 20 RPGs: 2/20

So cool, decent enough progress. TBH I feel like the hardest goal is going to be the MGS one, because I need to beat Phantom Pain and might need to add some older titles to the list, on top of it.

February Update
Main Post
3 in February Post
Weekly Gaming Update #5
Weekly Gaming Update #6
Weekly Gaming Update #7
Weekly Gaming Update #8

Bought (-)
Style Savvy: Fashion Forward
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth

This Month's Bought Total: 2

Beat (+)
2064: Read Only Memories
LISA: The Painful
LISA: The Joyful
If My Heart Had Wings

This Month's Beat Total: 4

February Backlog Total: 4-2=+2

Removed (Net 0)
HarmoKnight
Shining Force II

This Month's Removed Total: 2

Other info

Pre-orders:
Persona 5
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Ys VIII (PS4)
Fire Emblem: Echoes

Freebies:
Fire Emblem: Heroes

Backlog notes (that don't count towards the total):
Overcooked - This is a game I bought, but it's definitely a co-op thing with my boyfriend. I don't add games like that until we beat them (if we ever do), and at that time I count it towards both a new game and a beat game (+1/-1).
Shining Force II - So, the SEGA Classics emulator on Steam makes my computer hot. Strike 1. Then, I find Shining Force II pretty damn boring, and I'm over halfway through the game. Strike 2. Finally, I figured I should try the game on a competent emulator that doesn't overheat my (decent, not old, able to run Life is Strange just fine) laptop, but the ROMs are coded in such a way that I couldn't get my save file and would have to restart. Strike 3, you're out of here, and I gave this game far more of a chance than most.

farisr

Say for instance I was playing through a game, and felt I had gotten enough out of it, or stopped it mid-way for whatever reason, didn't feel the need to go back and went on to sell it due to that very reason, would that count as "finished" or a "+1?"

I told myself that I'm going to purge the Backlog this year similar to what I did around 2013. Haha.

Beat:

0. (Finished Pokedex in Pokemon Sun) - Always wanted to do this in a Pokemon game.
1. Assassin's Creed Syndicate (even took it slow, did lots of optional stuff). Great game.
2. Ratchet and Clank (PS4). Got all the gold bolts, too.
3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered. A classic, stays classic. A couple of levels held up poorly (carrying Macmillan is still clunky and not fun) but otherwise still feels like a "modern" shooter.

+3

Almost bought three games today from BB's B2G1 used... but clicked that red x button and said no.
Bought Madden 17 on sale last week.

2017 total: 2

Say for instance I was playing through a game, and felt I had gotten enough out of it, or stopped it mid-way for whatever reason, didn't feel the need to go back and went on to sell it due to that very reason, would that count as "finished" or a "+1?"

That's what the Removed category is for, which generally also counts as a +1 (depending on your own logic any way, personally I don't count Removed games as +1's unless I've bought them in the last couple of years).

Going to try for this year and keep on top of it: started last year but didn't stick with the posts which wasn't good. Anyways, I'd been hoping to have a moratorium of sorts on buying games this year and focusing on beating them, but that so far seems to have gone by the wayside, but we'll see how it ends up.

Current score: -3
Yearly score: -3

January 2017

Beat: 1

LA Noire - PS3.

Bought: 4

Bravely Default - 3DS
Fire Emblem: Awakening - 3DS
Pokemon Y - 3DS
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 3DS

Total: -3

farisr

Alright, so gonna join in. My update for January:

Bought: 2
Gravity Rush 2
Yakuza 0

Finished: 2
Gears of War 4
The Last Guardian

Total: 0

When I have time I'm gonna go back and tally up my score for 2016. It's probably really bad.

Edit: Calculated. 2016 had me at -20 by the end of it (29 total games purchased, 9 games finished)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I'll join in. But I bought Yakuza 0 this week, so I'm already screwed, haha.

Before I bought that, though, and after the first of the year, I beat Shantae: Half-Genie Hero and Hatsune Miku Project Diva X. So I'm +1 for the year so far!

Now I've gotta beat Yakuza 0 before Zelda comes out in five weeks... maybe I can finish Doom, which I'm halfway through, on the side, too. Especially since Nier Automata comes out right after Zelda.

2017 might be a bad year to join this thread...

==========
Bought in 2017: 1 (Yakuza 0)
Beaten in 2017: 2 (Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, Hatsune Miku Project Diva X)
The Diff: +1
In progress: Yakuza 0 (8%), Doom 2016 (46%)

Bought/Obtained: 1

My Nintendo Picross - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess  (3DS)

Beat: 2

Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past  (3DS)

Score: +1

End January 2017 (01/29/17): Kicking off the new year with a horrendous start already well into negative territory.

Supplementary Posts:
Backloggery Profile
Q1 2015 Blitz (w/ 2014 Beaten Retrospective)
Q1 2016 Blitz (w/ 2015 Beaten Retrospective)
O1 2017 Blitz (w/ 2016 Beaten Retrospective)
"Game of the Year 2016" Ballot
"Most Anticipated 2017" Ballot

Purchased (2017): -07 [exc. 11 pre-orders + 02 nullified]
  • 01/01 – The Walking Dead: Season Two (PS4)
  • 01/02 – The Wolf Among Us (PS4)
  • 01/04 – Firewatch (PS4)
  • 01/05 – Lone Survivor: The Director's Cut (PS4)
  • 01/17 – Fate/Extella: The Umbral Star (PS4)
  • 01/20 – Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
  • 01/24 – Yakuza 0 (PS4)
    NULL 01/04 – Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD (Vita)
    NULL 01/15 – Steins;Gate: The Distant Valhalla (PC; Dōjin soft)
    PO 02/07 – Touhou Genso Wanderer (PS4)
    PO 02/10 – Oxenfree (PS4)
    PO 02/28 – Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
    PO 02/28 – Skullgirls: 2nd Encore (PS4)
    PO 03/07 – Nier: Automata (PS4)
    PO 03/17 – Danganronpa 1+2 Reload (PS4)
    PO 04/04 – Persona 5 (PS4)
    PO 04/18 – The Silver Case (PS4)
    PO 05/02 – Puyo Puyo Tetris (PS4)
    PO 12/31 – Shenmue III (PS4)
    PO 03/31/18 – Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (PS4)
Beaten (2017): +02
  • 01/08 – Firewatch (PS4)
  • 01/31 -- Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
  • 01/15 – NULLED: Steins;Gate: The Distant Valhalla (PC; Dōjin soft)
Overall Blitz Score: -05

Ikon

Final January update here.

Bought: 0

Beat: 4
Fire Emblem Fates (3DS)
Call of Duty: Black Ops II (360)
Red Dead Redemption (360)
Gears of War Judgment (360)

Quit: 2

Dungeon Siege 3 (360)
Shadows of the Damned (360)

Total for the month: +4
Total for the year: +4

2017 is off to a great start! Pretty psyched to finally be completely done with all of my games for both 3DS and 360. RDR was the standout game this month and I can't believe I didn't like it when I bought it. RDR2 easily jumped to being one of my most anticipated games of 2017.

I kind of want to jump straight to my PS3 backlog but have to focus on packing rather than playing as we'll be moving and everything takes ages once you have kids. Slowly making my way through Life is Strange instead and by act 3 it's finally started to grow on me. After that, I don't really know what to play. Possibly God of War 3 Remastered, Infamous Second Son or... Pix the cat?

Also, how are the rest of you counting double dipping? I just ordered GTAV for PS4 the other day but already beat it on PS3.

Kirie

Final Jan update:

Bought in January total: 6
Beat in January total: 12
January Backlog Total: 12-6= +6

I'm very close to being done with DQVII too, so I think this was a great month for me! Starting at the end of Feb into March is going to be insane, so I hope I can keep the momentum going. I actually have a pretty small backlog compared to a lot of people (6 games atm) but the Blitz is keeping me accountable for my purchases. I would have definitely bought more, so I was glad to have some sort of system to keep me from spontaneously buying stuff I won't play immediately.

Bring on February :D

Vaeghar

Neo Member
Adding myself to this thread. I've been trying to push through and play what I have. However, I succumbed to the lure of Humble Bundle at the end of the month. :(

January 2017

Bought: 19
Gravity Rush 2 (PS4)
Overcooked (PS4)
Knack (PS4)
Lego Marvel Super Heroes (PS4)
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime (PS4)
Diablo III Battle Chest (PC)
Oxenfree (Steam)
Kingdom Rush Frontiers (Steam)
Epic Fantasy Battle (Steam; Humble Bundle)
Pony Island (Steam; Humble Bundle)
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (Steam; Humble Bundle)
Day of the Tentacle Remastered (Steam; Humble Bundle)
Deadbolt (Steam; Humble Bundle)
VA-11 Hall-A (Steam; Humble Bundle)
N++ (Steam; Humble Bundle)
Bit Blaster XL (Steam; Humble Bundle)
Refunct (Steam; Humble Bundle)
Else Heart.Break() (Steam; Humble Bundle)
Evoland 2 (Steam; Humble Bundle)

Finished: 1
The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings (Steam)

Playing:
Gravity Rush Remastered (PS4)

Score: -18

mshlive

Slow but steady progress so far so im relatively happy.on it has had but I can pick that up at a later date.

Game #1 - INSIDE (Xbox One) - 1000/1000

Fantastic game as to be expected from Playdead and a nice way to start off the month/year. If anyone is sat on this as part of their backlog I'd recommend to play it as soon as possible you won't be disappointed.

Game #2 - Doom 2016 (Xbox One) 1000/1000

Overall I enjoyed it, however im not too sure why it gets such rave reviews from Gaf. Wolfenstein did a much better job from a single player point of view and with Overwatch as competition it isn't even the best shooter from last year.

Game #3 - Costume Quest 2 (Xbox One) 1000/1000

I think if you take this for what it is then it's an enjoyable little game. I did plan on playing this at Halloween last year but clearly that didn't happen, and whilst I don't think its quite as good as its predecessor if you're looking for a simple yet enjoyable game its worth a go.

Game #4 - Unravel (Xbox One) 1000/1000

Visually fantastic however I would say overall this was a bit disappointing, the gameplay mechanics get stale and frustrating fast and I felt like there is a lot of wasted potential. Still not awful considering it was courtesy of EA Access!

Currently Playing/Next Up:
Overwatch (Xbox One)
Forza Horizon 3 (Xbox One)
Resident Evil 7 (Xbox One)
Firewatch (PS4)
The Last Guardian (PS4)
+ 1 Large RPG (The Witcher 3/Fallout 4/Final Fantasy XV)

Plenty of options at the moment to keep things fresh, all backlog except for Resident Evil 7 which I purchased using left over Credit at CeX. Overwatch is still my go to multiplayer title and I love it, and then a mixture to hopefully clear some more space in the backlog before I undoubtedly cave into purchasing either Horizon or Mass Effect.

Summary:

Bought: Resident Evil 7 (Xbox One) (-1)

Beaten: INSIDE (Xbox One), Doom (Xbox One), Costume Quest 2 (Xbox One) & Unravel (Xbox One) (+4)

Total: (+3)

Bought/Obtained: 4

Picross e5 (new)
Picross e6 (new)
Picross e7 (new)

Beat: 2

Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past  (3DS)

Score: -2

I'm off to a good start since I ended up buying nothing this month. At some point I will probably pick up Yakuza 0 and Gravity Rush though.

55wCChj.png

Added the following games to the backlog:
January -8
• Day of the Tentacle Remastered (PS4)†
• The Swindle (PS4)†
• Azkend 2: The World Beneath (PS4)†
• Let it Die (PS4)*
• BlazeRush (PS3)†
• Titan Souls (PS4)†
• Lifeline: Whiteout (iOS)*
• Dirt: Showdown (PC)*

Completed:
January +6
• Tharsis (PC) - Great little strategy game where you try to reach Mars alive by rolling dice and taking important decisions.
• Super Mario 3D World (Wii U) - Fun platformer with fantastic level design.
• Azkend 2: The World Beneath (PS4) - A solid match three puzzle with a few extra features. Hexagonal tiles, power-ups and different level objectives made it well worth playing.
• Lifeline: Whiteout (iOS) - An interactive short story with branching choices. I really liked the original game, but this time it felt a bit samey. I prefer reading paper novels.
• Day of the Tentacle Remastered (PS4) - I don't think I ever completed it back in the days. Some of the puzzles have far-fetched solutions.
• Street Fighter X Tekken (PSV) - It plays like Street Fighter and has an enormous cast. The story mode is short and not interesting at all.

Removed:
January +5
• Tiny Troopers Joint Ops (PS4) - I gave it a try and decided it wasn't for me.
• Transformers: Devastation (PS4) - Fun and visually impressive. I had my fill after an hour.
• BlazeRush (PS3)
• Dirt: Showdown (PC) - I have more Dirt games than I will ever have time for.
• Titan Souls (PS4) - 2D Dark Souls without the fun part. Getting killed by a single hit got old fast and without a progression system it quickly becomes frustrating.

* - free
† - "free" from Playstation Plus

Currently playing
• FTL: Faster than Light (iOS)
• The Swindle (PS4)

Backloggery (489 games in backlog)

T Dollarz

January 2017

Beaten: 0

Bought: 2
-Mass Effect 3 (PC)
-The Legend of Zelda (3DS)

Currently playing: 2
-The Witcher 3 (PS4) [70%]
-The Legend of Zelda (3DS) [40%]

Well I didn't beat as many games as I thought this month, after my exams finished on the 20th I started replaying Persona 3 Portable (which I haven't beaten before) so that's been taking up most of my gaming time atm and I'm not even half-way done

JANUARY

Beaten: 1
Pokemon Sun - like every mainline game I really enjoyed it, saw the credits roll at 51hrs & still messing around in the post-game,
catching ultrabeasts

Bought: 0

Jan Score: +1
Total Score: +1

Remaining backlog: 54

Ikon

Splitting this into a separate post instead...

In the name of cohesion, I'd like to ask you guys how you handle these 2 scenarios:

1. Double dips. I recently purchased GTA V for PS4, a game I played extensively for PS3 and beat. Would you count it as -1 for being a purchase, a 0 for just being a new system to play a game you already played, or a simultaneous +1/-1 for a purchase negated by the fact that you already beat it?

2. Quitting games. I've tended to just strike these games from my backlog and remove them. Would you advocate counting it as +1 instead in order balance out the -1 of buying it? In a way I feel like this would cheapen the act of beating other games, but I'm happy to hear your thoughts.

In the name of cohesion, I'd like to ask you guys how you handle these 2 scenarios:

1. Double dips. I recently purchased GTA V for PS4, a game I played extensively for PS3 and beat. Would you count it as -1 for being a purchase, a 0 for just being a new system to play a game you already played, or a simultaneous +1/-1 for a purchase negated by the fact that you already beat it?

2. Quitting games. I've tended to just strike these games from my backlog and remove them. Would you advocate counting it as +1 instead in order balance out the -1 of buying it? In a way I feel like this would cheapen the act of beating other games, but I'm happy to hear your thoughts.

Personally, I don't count double dips unless I haven't beaten the game before so it'd be a 0.

If I give up on a game I just remove it from the backlog, don't include it as -1 but I can totally see why someone would.

lionpants

MAIN POST

This will be my first time partaking. I just moved into a new house and realized how many games I had to move with me, so I thought it would be a good time to start tracking and limiting what I start playing. Maybe even sell some of my old games *gasp*!

I'm going to start as a clean slate and add to my backlog as I unpack boxes and get situated.

Monthly Updates & Tallies

January [0]
February [-1]
March [Loading...]
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

Total: -1

In Progress
  • Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
  • Zelda: Breath of The Wild (Switch)

lionpants

January

- Added

• Forza Horizon 3 (XBO)
  • Watch Dogs 2 (PS4)
  • Titanfall 2 (PS4)
+ Finished

• Watch Dogs 2 (PS4) - Felt like a bit of a grind at times. Hacking gets pretty repetitive and boring. Overall decent. Haven't played the first one.
  • Titanfall 2 (PS4) - Fantastic campaign. Didn't spend much time with the multiplayer.
  • Bravely Second: End Layer (3DS) - Couldn't stand the main protagonist this time around. I ended up skipping cutscenes once I understood where they were going. Some of them go on for way too long and the characters repeat the same thing over and over. Seemed like there was a lot more dialogue in this than in Default which was for the worse. Maxed all jobs.
Total: 0

Main post is here.

In the case of a double-dip for a game I've already beaten, I wouldn't necessarily count it as -1 immediately, but I would count it if I start a new playthrough. Some people don't count re-plays as -1/+1, and that's fine, but for me, if a game takes time away from other games on the backlog, well, it's part of the backlog as well.

If it's a double-dip for a game already on my backlog, though, then there's no change, since it just replaces the older version of the game. For instance, Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir replaced the original PS2 Odin Sphere that had been gathering dust in my backlog for years... <_<

I don't generally count games removed because I don't want to play them as +1. I personally feel like this score should represent the number of games I've completed, not the number of games I gave up on. :) If the removed game was added during the current year's backlog blitz, though, I would probably edit out the original -1 in the thread as well, so... in that case, that's kinda-sorta like a +1, but only in the interest of keeping an accurate score for the year.

Bought: XCOM.
score: -1

It's through the free humble store giveaway, but I have every intention of beating it so it goes down in the ledger.

Spyware

1. If I double dip it's either to replay with an updated version or to replace an unplayed older version. In the first case it's a -1 and then a +1 when I beat it like any other game. I don't see it as a replay in the stats since I was actually buying a different copy and adding that to my backlog. In the second case I don't count it as a -1 and instead "silently" replace the unplayed version. I don't plan on playing the older version then, so there is no addition of games in the backlog. Just a replacement.
So in your situation the purchase would be a -1 for me and then I would +1 it when I beat that new version.

2. I remove them from by backlog which doesn't add points on backloggery. If there is a -1 due to it being a quite recent purchase I remove that -1 since that negative score for me is about adding backlog games, not about purchases.

HellBlazer and I seem to think quite alike :)

Smilax

Main Post

Here is my End of January Report!
-------------------------------------
JANUARY 2017

A. Purchased (-2):
Jan 2, 2017 :
- Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (PC)
Jan 27, 2017:
- Crypt of the NecroDancer (PC) -Gifted to me by my Best Friend!

B. Finished (+23):
Jan 1, 2017:
- Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (PC)
Jan 2, 2017:
- Tales from the Borderlands (PC)
- Taimumari (PC)
Jan 7, 2017:
- BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger (PC)
Jan 11, 2017:
- BlazBlue: Continuum Shift Extend (PC)
Jan 15, 2017
- Doom 3: BFG Edition (PC)
Jan 16, 2017
- Momodora III (PC)
- Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC)
Jan 18, 2017
- The Legend of Dark Witch (PC)
- Mighty Gunvolt (PC)
Jan 19, 2017
- Out There Somewhere (PC)
Jan 20, 2017
- Defy Gravity Extend (PC)
- Go! Go! Nippon! ~My First Trip to Japan~ (PC)
Jan 21, 2017
- Crazy Taxi (PC)
- Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds (PC)
- Metal Slug X (PC)
Jan 22, 2017
- Metal Slug (PC)
- There Came an Echo (PC)
- Space Channel 5: Part 2 (PC)
Jan 24, 2017
- GUILTY GEAR Xrd -SIGN- (PC)
Jan 27, 2017
- Helen's Mysterious Castle (PC)
Jan 28, 2017
- The Typing of The Dead: Overkill (PC)
Jan 30, 2017
- Mirror's Edge

C. Retired:
Jan 14, 2017
-Final Dusk (PC) - Reason: Game got so repetitive and dull that I just couldn't continue.

Current Backlog: 63

Current Score: +21
-------------------------------------

I'm starting off strong by clearing out mostly smallish games that last around an hour or two, but now i'm hitting bigger games like Guilty Gear, Typing of the Dead and Mirror's Edge. This is the first time I ever did the Backlog Blitz so I hope i'm following procedure. I'll be including a main post on the top of my post as well as updating my main post to be ready for February.

At the end of each month, I wanted to talk about a game that i think you should consider playing and what you should most definitely avoid.

A game that you should consider playing is Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight. A metroidvania type game that has you exploring many areas and finding many secrets. Fluid animations and beautiful sprite work as well as very responsive controls makes this game very enjoyable. The soundtrack is also very good. Give this game a go if you have it on your backlog.

Now for a game that I recommend avoiding or crossing out of your list is There Came an Echo. I'm sorry Feep if you are reading this, but its such a black sheep compared to your other excellent game Sequence (now known as Before an Echo). Even with the Headset I found the game play to be bland and uninteresting, as well as the story. I was really looking forward to it after loving Sequence so much. The voice acting is great and all, and i'm glad it has such an all star cast, however, the writing is just full of cliches that you can probably guess what's going to happen next. If you have this in your backlog, i recommend just skipping it, scratching it off your list and instead play Sequence.

1. I see three scenarios here:
a. You've beaten the old version and bought the new version intending on beating it (-1)
b. You've beaten the old version and bought the new version for collection purposes or whatever (+0)
c. The old version is already in your backlog (+0)

Basically it just depends on what your intention is when you buy it. And if you change your mind later on then either go back and edit your old post or don't count it as a +1 if you beat it.

2. If a game has been sitting in my backlog for 5 years and I finally realise I have no interest in playing it, it feels cheap to count it towards my score, so I only count removed games as a +1 if bought them in the last couple of years.

dougalism

Neo Member
January Update

Master Post

Bought in January

Dead or Alive 2 (PS2) - 20/1
PaRappa the Rapper 2 (PS2 Classics) - 22/1
King of Fighters 2000 (PS2 Classics) - 25/1
Gone Home: Console Edition - 29/1

Finished in January
Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD ReMix (PS3) - 4/1
Mad Maestro (PS2) - 4/1
Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo HD ReMix (PS3) - 5/1
Woah Dave (PS4) - 6/1
Jumping Flash (PSOne Classics) - 6/1
L.A Noire: Complete Edition (PS3) - 20/1
International Track & Field (PSOne Classics) - 20/1
Omega Boost (PS1) - 21/1
Dead or Alive 2 (PS2) - 22/1
Entwined (PS4) - 22/1
Parappa the Rapper 2 (PS2 Classics) - 23/1
Divekick (VITA) - 25/1
King Of Fighters 2000 (PS2 Classics) - 27/1
Bishi Bashi Special (PSOne Classics) - 28/1
Surge Deluxe (VITA) - 29/1
Gone Home: Console Edition (PS4) - 30/1

Total Score: +12

Well that was a decent start to the year.

January Update:

Decent start to 2017. Finished Hitman, beat RE7 and now hitting (gasp!) the backlog a bit before Breath of the Wild. Having a blast with New Vegas so far, it's way better than Fallout 4 (which I liked).

Backloggery

Bought (-6):
  • Hitman: Episode 4 - Bangkok (PS4)
  • SUPERHOT (XBO)
  • Hitman: Episode 5 - Colorado (PS4)
  • Titanfall 2 (PS4)
  • Hitman: Episode 6 - Hokkaido (PS4)
  • Resident Evil 7 biohazard (PS4)
Beaten (+6):
  • Hitman: Episode 4 - Bangkok (PS4)
  • SUPERHOT (XBO)
  • Hitman: Episode 5 - Colorado (PS4)
  • Hitman: Episode 6 - Hokkaido (PS4)
  • Titanfall 2 (PS4)
  • Resident Evil 7 biohazard (PS4)
Currently Playing:
  • Fallout: New Vegas (360)
Backlog Priorities:
  • Thief II: The Metal Age (PC)
  • Far Cry 2 (360)
  • Final Fantasy XV (PS4)
  • Dark Souls II (PS4)
  • Thief: Deadly Shadows (PC)
Bought in 2017: 6
Beat in 2017: 6
Current Score: 0

January Update

-10 Games Purchased:

PS4
  • Injustice: Gods Among Us - Ultimate Edition
  • Valiant Hearts: The Great War
  • The Wolf Among Us
  • Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition
  • Metro: Last Light Redux
  • Metro 2033 Redux
  • Yakuza 0
PS Vita
  • Skullgirls 2nd Encore
  • Hitman GO: Definitive Edition
  • Persona 4 Golden
+3 Games Finished:
RZEbqZV.gif
The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 (January 6 - 14)
RZEbqZV.gif
Valiant Hearts: The Great War (January 20 - 21)
psLKMKZ.gif
Injustice: Gods Among Us - Ultimate Edition (January 21 - 30)​

Current score: -7

Backloggery: http://www.backloggery.com/djeverlasting
Notes

Bought Resident Evil 7 on the 26th, but ended up hating it after two hours. Sold my copy on the 29th, and bought Yakuza 0 instead after seeing all the praise on GAF. (and some really interesting gameplay videos)

Considered Injustice: Gods Among Us finished after beating the story mode, and completing Classic Battles with every character. A friend of mine had a copy of the game on PS3 when it initially came out, and we use to do local matches and S.T.A.R. Lab Missions, so I don't really feel the need to experience those again. Now, if only I could get a beta code for IJ2!

Played Persona 4 on PS2, but I'm counting P4G in my backlog because I want to see it through and discover all of the new content.

Y5AzHhp.png

Unfortunately for my backlog, CoD: Infinite Warfare MP dominated most of my January. It was a bit of a weird month though, because I was still home for the holidays during the first week and had no access to my PS4. By the time I got back to my place, it was time for my next semester in college to start. There wasn't a ton of time for me to invest into a fresh game, which is why I often just defaulted to CoD. That being said, I've finally adapted to my school schedule again and things aren't as hectic as they were the first two weeks, so I had more time during the last half of January to sit down with some games.

PSN's Under $5 Flash Sale really messed my score up for this month. I honestly had no intentions of buying any games other than RE7, but some of the prices in the flash sale were too good for me to pass up. I'll just consider it some early bulking.

January 2017 was good to me.

Purchased: nothing

Beat: ME1
Uncharted 2

Currently playing Uncharted 3 but that'll be beaten next month hopefully with ME2, ME3, and Uncharted 4.

Up to +5 for me. I "beat" Ovewatch in the sense that I reached level 25, which was a benchmark that I set when I first started playing. 28% of XBL gamers reach this level, and it allows me to play competitively. I'll still come back to and play this a lot, but for the sake of my backlog, I'm marking it as completed.

Spyware

Oh gosh, this isn't very good. Finishing 10 games and still ending up with a 0 due to purchases isn't really my usual style ;D
Also, I've gotten sort of stuck with a whole bunch of longer games now so I fear February will eat me alive. Will do my best to finish Dark Souls 2 as soon as possible because that's the real road block right now.

Backloggery
52 Games Master post

Bought: -10
• SteamWorld Heist - Jan 1
• ABZÛ - Jan 1
• Ori and the Blind Forest - Jan 1
• Paint it Back - Jan 1
• Meadow - Jan 1
• Aragami - Jan 1
• Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China - Jan 16
• Assassin's Creed Chronicles: India - Jan 16
• Assassin's Creed Chronicles: Russia - Jan 16
• Skylanders: Imaginators - Jan 25​

Finished: +10

• Super Mario Land - Completed Jan 1
• rain - Beaten Jan 1
• Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins - Completed Jan 2
• Final Fantasy II - Completed Jan 2
• SteamWorld Dig - Completed Jan 7
• Alan Wake - Completed Jan 9
• ABZÛ - Completed Jan 9
• 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors - Completed Jan 13
• Alan Wake's American Nightmare - Beaten Jan 15
• Demon's Souls - Beaten Jan 21​

Removed: 0

† None, yet​

Total Score: 0

stn

2017 Score: -2.

Bought: Yakuza 0 - Business Edition (PS4), Hitman: Steelbook Edition (XBO), Dragon Quest VIII (3DS)

Beat: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (XBO)

Playing: Mafia III (XBO)

January update

Pretty good start of the year. Finished four of the games I got for Christmas, and grabbed Zero Mission before the My Nintendo offer expired (short game, thankfully). I also completed my retrospective of the old Tex Murphy games and will probably move on to Tesla Effect (which I backed but haven't even played yet) in February.

Games acquired: -1

1. Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA on Wii U VC)

Games completed: +6

1. Aviary Attorney (PC)
  2. Shardlight (PC)
  3. Tex Murphy: Overseer (PC)
  4. Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA on Wii U VC)
  5. Gravity Rush Remastered (PS4)
  6. Day of the Tentacle Remastered (PC)

January total: +5

2017 running total: +5

First update of the year. And compared to last year, I start off in the positive. Here's hoping that's a sign of things to come.

Main OP

So bought one or two things I wasn't expecting to buy this month. I bought the Assassin's Creed Ezio Collection after seeing the movie, hankering to play the series again. I've only finished 1 and 2, though, so later this summer, I'm going to break through the rest of the series and finish the other AC games in my backlog.

That said, I did get myself a birthday treat as well in the form of FIFA 17 (I already played a good chunk of it through the EA Access trial, but didn't include it last year because it wasn't the full game). So hopefully, I'll get round to finishing The Journey sooner than later and once I do, I'll count that as finished.

I also bought The Witness after seeing it get a super heavy discount on the PS Store. Oops.

The only purchase that I got that was planned was Gravity Rush 2. I had planned on Yakuza 0 as well, but that can wait until later in the summer when I finally tackle the series. Plus, I'm trying to save up as much as I can for the Switch plus March games rush and the Persona 5 CE in April.

For this year, I'm also putting in games that I dropped. Which means, for me, games I've kicked to the curb and traded in or whatever. Didn't do that last year, perhaps against my better judgment, but will this year.

Backloggery|HowLongtoBeat| 52 Games main post

January

Bought (-):

FIFA 17
Assassin's Creed: The Ezio Collection
Gravity Rush 2
The Witness

Beaten (+):

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Remastered
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
Firewatch

Dropped (x):

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
Street Fighter V

January net worth: +1
Overall net worth (as of this post): +1

Was making a ton of progress in completing games in the first half of the month, but that all kind of screeched to a halt after Trump's inauguration. Been trying to participate more in community events and be involved which has reduced my free time considerably. I also took on a freelance project which has been taking up my weeknights. I'm hoping I'll finally be able to play RE7 this coming weekend.

2/1/17 Update
Backloggery

Bought in 2017: -2
Beat in 2017: +7
Current Score: +5

Bought
January (-2)
  • Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King
  • Resident Evil VII: Biohazard
Beaten:
January (+7)
  • Pokemon Moon
  • Super Mario Run
  • Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
  • Abzu
  • Forza Horizon 3
  • Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam
  • My Nintendo Picross - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Currently Playing:
  • Dishonored 2
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Resident Evil VII: Biohazard

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
January (-2)

Bought
09 - The Legend of Legacy
09 - Stranger of Sword City
09 - Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song

Beat
14 - Demon Gaze

YTD
Bought: 3
Beat: 1
Score: -2

Notes
Rise from your gaming/GAF account grave.
Was really hoping to knock Ray Gigant off the list as well in January, but I wasn't quite fast enough.

I'll join in this year, see if it makes my gaming time more focused.

January

Purchased

Hyper Light Drifter
Superhot
Resident Evil VII
Picross 3D: Round 2
Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator

Beaten

Hyper Light Drifter
Superhot
Resident Evil VII

+3

Also played a ton of Bayonetta 1 on Wii U and Oxenfree but I'll finish them this month.

Total -2

Qwark

January was not a good month for me, did not finish a single game.

New: 6
Digimon World: Next Order (currently playing)
Last Guardian
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
Killer Instinct Season 2
World of Final Fantasy
Dragon Quest 8

Completed: 0

Backlog: 100 (just a guess, probably something like that)

Score: -6

marcincz

New month, new update.

My backloggery

Bought: 4
1. Dead Space (PS3) - 02/01/2017 *rebuy
2. Virginia (PS4) - 02/01/2017
3. Firewatch (PS4) - 12/01/2017 *rebuy - LRG ed.
4. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD (PSV) - 12/01/2017 - LRG ed.
5. Odin Sphere Leifthrasir (PSV) - 16/01/2017
6. Mega-Lo-Mania (SMD) - 18/01/2017

Beaten: 4
1. Mirror's Edge Catalyst (PS4) - 02/01/2017
2. Virginia (PS4) - 05/01/2017
3. Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition (XBO) - 27/01/2017
4. DmC: Devil May Cry (PS3) - 31/01/2017

Score: 0

Currently playing:
Ghost Trick (NDS)

Bought/received-0
Beat- 2

Score - 2

I was able to finish Titanfall 2 and Kirby Planet Robobot earlier this month. Haven't played much of anything since.

Top Bottom