• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: E3 Opens To The Public For The First Time Ever

DyZ

When does registration open for industry passes? I'll be signing up for one, but haven't found a date to do so.

Ugh...I like consumer shows and all but E3 was always (if not effectively) about getting some real work done. Whether it's selling to buyers or evangelizing to partners and media or meetings in general. 15K isn't so bad, but it's just going to get that much harder to be productive and it's hard enough as it is.

Don't get me wrong, I love public shows. As much as a clusterfuck Comicons are, I like them the best because there's more fan interaction and people are in a better mood because they are there to have fun. It's just that being open to the public will dilute the real industry purpose E3 is supposed to serve.

bomblord1

Banned
Hotels/Flights are booked, tickets ordered, group is ready.

This is actually happening. Ton of money spent upfront.

TBH I'm nervous.

Does anyone have any advice? Things I should avoid? I've never actually been in such a large city before.

Is the area pedestrian friendly? Because I booked a hotel about 3 miles away with the intention of walking to and from the convention center.

Are Taxi's easy enough to come by what's the best way to get to my hotel from the airport? Should I consider Uber?

Ugh...I like consumer shows and all but E3 was always (if not effectively) about getting some real work done. Whether it's selling to buyers or evangelizing to partners and media or meetings in general. 15K isn't so bad, but it's just going to get that much harder to be productive and it's hard enough as it is.

Don't get me wrong, I love public shows. As much as a clusterfuck Comicons are, I like them the best because there's more fan interaction and people are in a better mood because they are there to have fun. It's just that being open to the public will dilute the real industry purpose E3 is supposed to serve.

As someone who was "in the industry" before, and then a "fan" for the last few years, I felt that since E3 "came back from the dead" from those couple of years in the hanger.. it's been harder to get to real business done at the show anyway.

Lots of areas just felt either (a) dead/empty/no life, or (b) OVEROMGWTFBBQCROWDED!!!11oneone!11!! Like they had all this free space, and decided to cram in everyone into a few spaces. Especially in the walkway areas directly outside the halls.

It's still fun, especially now that I'm just there to spectate and shoot the shit, but definitely feels different. I don't really expect 15,000 to change too much, maybe more attendance on Thursday? I've religiously showed up after the doors have been open for an hour for the past couple of years. It means missing out on THATONEAWESOMETHING that everyone runs to, but it also means I can leisurely stroll along and take it all in.

mishakoz

TBH I'm nervous.

Does anyone have any advice? Things I should avoid? I've never actually been in such a large city before.

Is the area pedestrian friendly? Because I booked a hotel about 3 miles away with the intention of walking to and from the convention center.

Are Taxi's easy enough to come by what's the best way to get to my hotel from the airport? Should I consider Uber?

1) Dont set expectations. Enjoy the atmosphere of E3, make a decision to check a game out or two, say hi to your favorite personalities that you might see there. There will be lines and stuff for only press, and the demoes are often short. Plan ahead, get in line at the beginning of the day for what you want most

2) The E3 area is pretty pedestrian friendly. The rest of LA isnt and there is hardly anything representing public transport. Use uber, taxi if you need to but it will be expensive. 3 miles away should be fine.

3) Avoid convention food, its overpriced and crappy. Pack a lunch if you can.

TBH I'm nervous.

3 miles is not far at all, take a Lyft over a taxi, it's cheaper.

As long as you follow the street lights it's pedestrian friendly. You'll see crowds.

Same with going to the airport , just take a Lyft.

The only advice I have for the event is, avoid all the freebie lines on day one. They'll just waste your time. Check out the big things you'd want to see day 1 and 2.

That's about all I've got. You can dress as comfortable as you'd like, especially with shoes. My feet get tired and my back is killing me just after 1 day. I can't imagine 3 days.

I finally got an email about alumni registration, however when I tried using my credentials it said my info was wrong... anyone else experiencing this? It's pretty simple, last name and email... and it says it's wrong.

bomblord1

Banned
3 miles is not far at all, take a Lyft over a taxi, it's cheaper.

As long as you follow the street lights it's pedestrian friendly. You'll see crowds.

Same with going to the airport , just take a Lyft.

The only advice I have for the event is, avoid all the freebie lines on day one. They'll just waste your time. Check out the big things you'd want to see day 1 and 2.

That's about all I've got. You can dress as comfortable as you'd like, especially with shoes. My feet get tired and my back is killing me just after 1 day. I can't imagine 3 days.
1) Dont set expectations. Enjoy the atmosphere of E3, make a decision to check a game out or two, say hi to your favorite personalities that you might see there. There will be lines and stuff for only press, and the demoes are often short. Plan ahead, get in line at the beginning of the day for what you want most

2) The E3 area is pretty pedestrian friendly. The rest of LA isnt and there is hardly anything representing public transport. Use uber, taxi if you need to but it will be expensive. 3 miles away should be fine.

Thanks, another question for anyone in the know. Are there any areas in a 3 mile radius I should avoid? I'm looking at a walking route from Google and it looks like it goes through some somewhat seedy areas (graffiti everywhere, large gates protecting property, run down, trash everywhere) and I'll be blunt I don't want to get shot.

Thanks, another question for anyone in the know. Are there any areas in a 3 mile radius I should avoid? I'm looking at a walking route from Google and it looks like it goes through some somewhat seedy areas (graffiti everywhere, large gates protecting property, run down, trash everywhere) and I'll be blunt I don't want to get shot.

That's most of LA :D

Haha just avoid Skid row.. but I can't imagine you'd be by there.

Figueroa is pretty OK. If you want to PM me where you're staying I can take a look.

Some areas by USC are sketchy as hell, but a lot of stuff right downtown (Spring Street/7th, etc) is getting remodeled and upgraded (and expensive as hell).

krae_man

There's a subway stop by the convention center so you can also just pick something on the subway line.

I stayed at a hotel in Koreatown and it was fine. 5 minute walk to the subway stop and a 10 minute subway ride to the convention center. There was a Wallgreens across the street and a Denny's around the corner.

bomblord1

Banned
There's a subway stop by the convention center so you can also just pick something on the subway line.

I stayed at a hotel in Koreatown and it was fine. 5 minute walk to the subway stop and a 10 minute subway ride to the convention center. There was a Wallgreens across the street and a Denny's around the corner.

That's most of LA :D

Haha just avoid Skid row.. but I can't imagine you'd be by there.

Figueroa is pretty OK. If you want to PM me where you're staying I can take a look.

Some areas by USC are sketchy as hell, but a lot of stuff right downtown (Spring Street/7th, etc) is getting remodeled and upgraded (and expensive as hell).

Hey guys thanks again the route doesn't go through Skid-Row so I think I'm good on that. I found a route that's a bit longer but goes through all well developed areas so I think I'm good. Main problem seems getting across the freeway but that's just a matter of going through one of the underpasses with sidewalks. I'll look into subways/nearby bus stops.

Kyzon

Just waiting for my confirmation, but I bought myself and my girlfriend a ticket.

Now she has to pay for the hotel, and gas to get there ;-;

R.I.P. my wallet

StillEdge

I finally got an email about alumni registration, however when I tried using my credentials it said my info was wrong... anyone else experiencing this? It's pretty simple, last name and email... and it says it's wrong.

Damn what the hell. I am still waiting on mine :( My lady still hasn't gotten hers yet either. I have no problem registering again, but it's so easy to just click one button. Is the link a generic link for the quick registration?

Swiggins

I'm having a hard time here...

I live in San Diego, so i'm like a 2 hour drive to the LA Convention center, I know the LA Area like the back of my hand.

$250 is a lot of cash up front though...can somebody who's been before tell me if they think it would be worth it at that price? I've wanted to go to E3 since I was a kid....but a few people I've talked to say it's really not all that worth it (long lines, way too crowded, etc.)

I also heard a rumor that only press/industry were allowed to go to the press-conferences, can anybody confirm if this is true?

bomblord1

Banned

I live in San Diego, so i'm like a 2 hour drive to the LA Convention center, I know the LA Area like the back of my hand.

$250 is a lot of cash up front though...can somebody who's been before tell me if they think it would be worth it at that price? I've wanted to go to E3 since I was a kid....but a few people I've talked to say it's really not all that worth it (long lines, way too crowded, etc.)

I also heard a rumor that only press/industry were allowed to go to the press-conferences, can anybody confirm if this is true?

The public passes are exhibits only.

As for worth it. I'm paying almost $1k to go :p It's been a dream since childhood; even if it has long lines and is crowded I feel like just being there finally experiencing what I've been imagining since childhood physically among fellow gamers taking in the atmosphere, the place, and the games before anyone else seems worth it to me.

partime

It was crowded before being released to the public, it'll be a smelly mad house this time.
Since you've always wanted to go, just go once. It won't be worth it, but you can knock it off your bucket list.

You don't have to wait in the long lines, just go there to "be".

Arkam

My real question is... does this mean the major publishers are coming back to E3? Last few years the major publishers have been doing their own events more and more. In fact EA wasn't event at E3 last year and it was immediately noticeable when you walked in the main hall and they were not right in the front.

I think E3 is dying (again) and this is just an attempt to save (For ESA)

Da Fro

I live in Canada and I've went 6 times. It's never cheap for me. This is also the first time I will have to pay to get in but I am so excited to go again. 100% worth it for me, long lines and big crowds included.
From bumping into cool people from the industry, playing games that will get cancelled, and good times after the show just to name a few things. I have more than a few good stories from going.
If you've wanted to go, I would buy a ticket. You're close and $250 is a steal to go experience one of your life long goals.
Also yeah I think we aren't allowed to go to press conferences.

b3b0p

$250 for any conference or convention or festival is actually pretty cheap. Is the public passes good for multiple days? If so, $250 for something like this is dirt cheap.

Swiggins

$250 for any conference or convention or festival is actually pretty cheap. Is the public passes good for multiple days? If so, $250 for something like this is dirt cheap.

$250 for the whole weekend. I'm trying to convince a buddy to go with me, I think that's gonna be the dealbreaker. I fucking hate going to conventions/festivals alone.

krae_man

Press Conferences are invite only however Sony and Microsoft have allowed a limited number of seats to the general public in the past that you basically had to camp out for. They haven't made any such commitments for this year as of yet, but it may happen.

As far as lines go. Some people hate any line period.

If it's your life long dream, just do it. Even if you end up not liking it, going and finding out you didn't like it is better then never going. Especially if you're local and it's not cost prohibitive for you to do so.

Swiggins

The public passes are exhibits only.

As for worth it. I'm paying almost $1k to go :p It's been a dream since childhood; even if it has long lines and is crowded I feel like just being there finally experiencing what I've been imagining since childhood physically among fellow gamers taking in the atmosphere, the place, and the games before anyone else seems worth it to me.

I've been going to Comic-Con for ages, and I went to PSX last year, I can say without hesitation that both were absolutely worth just for getting to hang around with large swathes of gamers and getting excited about the same things at the same time (seriously, the crowd went freaking electric when they announced TLOU2)

If I can convince my buddy to go with me, I'll dive in, until then I'm still on the fence.

Happy for you dude, it's always nice to get to do something you've been waiting years for :)

border

E3 is not a convention or festival though.

There aren't dozens of bands lined up to play round-the-clock gigs like at Coachella.

There aren't dealer rooms or panels with creators/directors or fan-driven events like at Comic Con.

All you're getting access to is playable kiosks for some upcoming games, and maybe 5-10 minutes of playtime for each game. Just wandering around the show floor gets old after a day or two, but there's nothing else to really do. Wander around or wait in line to play something.

I think most would argue that while there is nothing quite like E3, PAX is probably the better experience overall and it actually costs less.

Swiggins

E3 is not a convention or festival though.

There aren't dozens of bands lined up to play round-the-clock gigs like at Coachella.

There aren't dealer rooms or panels with creators/directors or fan-driven events like at Comic Con.

All you're getting access to is playable kiosks for some upcoming games, and maybe 5-10 minutes of playtime for each game. Just wandering around the show floor gets old after a day or too, but there's nothing else to really do. Wander around or wait in line to play something.

I think most would argue that while there is nothing quite like E3, PAX is probably the better experience overall and it actually costs less.

I've heard from several people that PAX is a superior experience, and I'd love to go...if it wasn't in Seattle, lol.

I guess you need to spread the con's out though, we get Comic-Con, so I can't complain too badly.

DyZ

My real question is... does this mean the major publishers are coming back to E3? Last few years the major publishers have been doing their own events more and more. In fact EA wasn't event at E3 last year and it was immediately noticeable when you walked in the main hall and they were not right in the front.

I think E3 is dying (again) and this is just an attempt to save (For ESA)

All I know is that EA is doing another off-site exhibit again this year (similar to how they did the BF event last year)

It's a fun time, just don't go expecting the moon and you'll be fine.

Last year, getting to play Sea of Thieves with friends (and scoring like 6 t-shirts) was awesome. The playable Halo Wars 2 session was nice too. Lots of little tchotchkes given out too.

Some booths have contests etc, my friend won a set of nice headphones last year.

#1. Just have fun and take it all in on day 1, plan day 2 and 3 to hit things you saw on Day 1.
#2. WEAR COMFY SHOES!
#3. Pack a lunch or head to a nearby restaurant, the convention center food ain't great, there is usually a line, and it's EXPENSIVE! There is a Hooters across the street!
#4. Don't be THAT ANNOYING FAN to the devs if you meet any!
#5. DEODORANT. MORE THE MERRIER! Bring the spray stuff for mid-day refresh as well.

TrojanAg

I think my Switch will get a lot of mileage waiting in those lines. I'm kind of thinking on focusing on one of the big 3 each day and checking out 3rd party stuff in between.

TAS

I'm so happy that E3 is finally open to the general public. I had the privilege of going back in 2003 (through a connection) and I've been yearning to go back ever since. Unfortunately I can't go this year because I don't have enough time to gather the funds needed (I live in Toronto and the Switch launch is going to drain me lol) but next year I'm there 100%. Going to make a full week vacation out of it. :)

SpartanN92

Banned

Do NOT make eye contact with homeless people... seriously don't.

The first time LastNac and I went a few years ago we made the mistake of making eye contact with a crazy old homeless man near the Staples center and he followed us for like 5 blocks shouting obscenities at us.

bomblord1

Banned
Do NOT make eye contact with homeless people... seriously don't.

The first time LastNac and I went a few years ago we made the mistake of making eye contact with a crazy old homeless man near the Staples center and he followed us for like 5 blocks shouting obscenities at us.

I know you meant this as a legitimate warning but I laughed so hard

Swiggins

Just found out you can get a 7 day metro pass for $25 seems like the best way to get around town for cheap

Word to the wise, the LA Public Transportation system is a joke. The Subway is pitiful and buses are few and far between. There's a reason why almost everybody in Southern California owns a car...because the PT is such a freaking dumpster-fire.

I say this as a man who's father has been a bus driver for the past 30 years.

Top Bottom